Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That loss to Jacksonville is going to end up stinging us..

I know it's only 2 games so far, but the Jags might end up 3-13, they looked that bad against the Dolphins. Wish we had that game under our belts, good teams find a way to beat bad teams, and the Jags are a BAD team. If, at the end of the year we're one game out for something important we're going to think back to week 1..

• Like 2

First game of season (loss) is never surprising. 

14 games left. That’s a lot of football for a team that didn’t make it to the playoffs last year. 

If, they are 1-3 after the first 4 games, I’d be worried, but I believe the Colts are finding their mojo. 

Go Colts.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

I know it's only 2 games so far, but the Jags might end up 3-13, they looked that bad against the Dolphins. Wish we had that game under our belts, good teams find a way to beat bad teams, and the Jags are a BAD team. If, at the end of the year we're one game out for something important we're going to think back to week 1..

Jax gave TEN a run for their money and looked pretty good in that game.  

TEN also barely beat Denver, who I don't think is very good at all this year.  So while they're in first in the conference they have barely won to two teams who  I don't think are that good.  The Texans are 0-2 but have lost to two powerhouses (KC and BAL).  

Sure, it stings to lose to Jax in week 1.. but it's by no means the end of the world.  I do think, however, we almost have to win the AFC South to get a playoff bid, and I think that's very doable.  The Raiders have looked very good in the West and so have the Chiefs.  The Bills look good in the East and I can't imagine the Pats not racking up ~10 wins.  Then Baltimore and Pitt look like the real deal in the North.  My guess, as of right now would be the wildcard teams are going to come from the East (Pats) and the West (Raiders).. so it'll be important to go at least 4-2 in the division and win our gimme games (e.g., the Jets). 

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Didnt llast year

Injuries played a huge part in that. 

We had receivers on the field that were sitting on their couch when the season started. 

Plus like it or not JBs injury also played a part. I know it was chic to put all the blame on him but IMO it was the total effect of all the injuries combined. Add the losses directly related to Vinatieri counts as injury also. 

Our defense was gassed in the 2nd half of games because our offense couldn't maintain the ball. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Losing to the Jags down in Jax has become something that the Colts just do.  It would have been more surprising if they actually won the game down there honestly.  Indy has lost to the Jags before and then proceeded to make the post season so this is not quite the death nail that you are making it out to be.  Every season teams lose to some that they are favored to beat and beat a few they are expected to lose to.  That’s what happens in the NFL especially when facing a division rival. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Not that it means anything but the Colts started out 1-4 and then run 7 wins off in a row. 

Yes losing the first game was bad but not a big deal if they can go let say 10-4 the rest of the season. 

I predicted a 10-6 or a 11-5 record before it started. 

Any team can get hot just like the Titans did last season. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Injuries played a huge part in that. 

We had receivers on the field that were sitting on their couch when the season started. 

Plus like it or not JBs injury also played a part. I know it was chic to put all the blame on him but IMO it was the total effect of all the injuries combined. 

Our defense was gassed in the 2nd half of games because our offense couldn't maintain the ball. 

So, the failure of the D was a direct result of the offences ability to sustain drives? Yes, I will buy sone of what u r selling but not the whole piece of pie. U keep the defence off the field and it keeps them fresh.  I am just wondering if u have stats that show when the D gave up the majority of their points?

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So, the failure of the D was a direct result of the offences ability to sustain drives? Yes, I will buy sone of what u r selling but not the whole piece of pie. U keep the defence off the field and it keeps them fresh.  I am just wondering if u have stats that show when the D gave up the majority of their points?

I would have to take the time to look up all the games but the defense got worse as the season progressed. 

IMO they were just on the field way too long. We did have way too many three and outs. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would have to take the time to look up all the games but the defense got worse as the season progressed. 

IMO they were just on the field way too long. We did have way too many three and outs. 

Once again, I agree with u in sine points. Also as the season progresses, teams get more film ti look at. I am just not a big beleiver in this scheme. Feel it is out dated.

I can absolutely see the loss costing us positioning in the playoffs. Hopefully it was just rust (execution and game plan) and we'll start to roll. There really is no making up for a loss to a team ranked 32nd (at the time). It is what it is, and you just got to move on. Perhaps beating TN on the road might make up for, but honestly TN doesn't look all that great right now, and I already thought we'd fair well against them.

As far as the whole O vs D thing, simply put, they are symbiotic. A good D helps the offense by giving them opportunity and field position. A good O helps the D by keeping them off the field.

The Chiefs last year lost to us, and were completely banged up (Mahomes included). A lot of people wrote them off after that. 

We aren’t the Chiefs, but to write us off after one loss, to an opponent who always plays us tough at their place, who also happens to be playing for their coach’s job for extra motivation... well... it’s a bit premature. 

Our focus is the Jets. We lose to them, then we can start talking about a trend.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

My guess, as of right now would be the wildcard teams are going to come from the East (Pats) and the West (Raiders).. so it'll be important to go at least 4-2 in the division and win our gimme games (e.g., the Jets). 

There are 3 wild card teams starting this year.

I agree with your overall sentiment though. Need to win the division, best chance for playoffs although I think we could sneak onto a WC game if we dont win division.

5 hours ago, ColtJax said:

There's only 16 reg. Season games. Any single loss can end up costing you dearly any year..... It's not the NBA with 82 or baseballs ridiculous season of 150+ when teams are out halfway through or earlier....

• Like 1

I don't think any reasonable person thinks we're going to the Superbowl this year.    Relax and enjoy watching your favorite team.  After months of nonsense,  we finally have something to watch

• Like 3

I am not losing sleep over one loss to the Jags.

I am not going to panic either. 

We are used to dropping a game when we are not suppose to. Every team in the NFL has done that during the season. 

All except Miami anyway. :goodluck:

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Didnt llast year

We beat the SB champs in their home stadium, not many expected us to. So, yeah, it did even out. While we lost to a team like the Dolphins, we beat KC in their place.

What this team needs to do to get to the next level is have a consistent high floor. Grigson or Ballard, we never got a bye week in the playoffs during their years. That’s what good teams do by taking care of lesser teams on a consistent basis.

• Like 2

What's bad about losing to the lowly jags is we're playing a possibly even lowlier team tomorrow, the jets, and we should/could have started 3-0.

And 3-0 is a lot nicer than 2-1. But we still need to go out and beat the lowly Gase led jets. Lol

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What's bad about losing to the lowly jags is we're playing a possibly even lowlier team tomorrow, the jets, and we should/could have started 3-0.

And 3-0 is a lot nicer than 2-1. But we still need to go out and beat the lowly Gase led jets. Lol

I'm fairly + Jets will fire Gase mid-season 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think any reasonable person thinks we're going to the Superbowl this year.    Relax and enjoy watching your favorite team.  After months of nonsense,  we finally have something to watch

I actually think we're a legit SB contender... but at this point, so are a lot of other teams.  I don't expect it, but when we are healthy and firing on all cylinders, we are a hard team to beat.... other weeks (like week 1 in JAX) we tend to beat ourselves with stupid mistakes instead of getting pummeled by the other team.

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We lost to lowly JAX, but I don't think they 'beat' us...  I think we beat ourselves.  We dominated basically every aspect of that game other than the turnover battle and the timeliness of our mistakes was awful.  If you rewatch that tape, I don't think there'd be many who thought JAX was truly a better team.. I think the general consensus would be we got stopped on the 3 yard line and Rivers made two poor decisions throughout the course of the game which the Jags capitalized on and TY uncharacteristically had a few bad drops later in the game (and Blankenship missed a FG)... otherwise, we were by far the better team... we have a vet QB and I think that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we're capable of beating anyone.. if we shoot ourselves in the foot, we're also capable of losing to anybody just the same.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chad72 said:

We beat the SB champs in their home stadium, not many expected us to. So, yeah, it did even out. While we lost to a team like the Dolphins, we beat KC in their place.

What this team needs to do to get to the next level is have a consistent high floor. Grigson or Ballard, we never got a bye week in the playoffs during their years. That’s what good teams do by taking care of lesser teams on a consistent basis.

What was our record last year?

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity what does that have to do with chad's comment? 

I sont understand the whole evening out idea. So that means we r guaranteed to beat say the Ravens this year? U win u win....u lose u lose. Simple as that

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I sont understand the whole evening out idea. So that means we r guaranteed to beat say the Ravens this year? U win u win....u lose u lose. Simple as that

To understand better, Patriots beat several good teams last year but lost at home to the Dolphins and Fitzpatrick to lose their bye week. So, the point is, even the best of teams have a letdown game where they don’t bring their A game and get beat. It doesn’t mean they win all games they’re not favored or lose all games they’re favored.

So, if we end up winning several games later, the Jags game could be written off as one of those games we were favored but didn’t bring our A game and got beat.

• Like 1