Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Hooker done in Indy?

ColtJax

I get this notion that Ballard is indifferent towards retaining him, aside from injury concerns, what ever it may be.  Going back to even before last season's contract decision.  Maybe its that athlete vs football player thing.

I think it would take more than the normal bit of roster building/ backup role thinking for him to be here next season.  Frankly, if Blackmon starts, I think Odum would be the better backup....more versatile.

Just my opinion, but both injuries (Mack and Hooker) could mean both coming back on short term prove it deals. Had they finished the year healthy, other teams would certainly have had interest. Not so much now. And I'd happily take both back on short term low dollar contracts.

Taylor is probably the real deal, but the miles on his legs does concern me a bit. And I know everyone is in love with Blackmon, but he's still a wildcard. Definitely encouraging start, but not crowning him yet.

I think resigning either of them is unlikely, unless it is for very small dollars. It has nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with achilles injuries. As someone who has suffered a ruptured achilles, I can tell you that the rehab is loooooong, and, unlike many other injuries, it doesn't matter that these guys are in amazing physical shape. I believe this surgery requires zero weight bearing on that leg for at least a couple months. Then it is extremely minimal for a very long time after that. These guys won't be back for somewhere around a year. Add on top of that the uncertainty of lost capabilities due to the injury and I think it is going to be tough.

We can only hope Hooker is done in Indy.

11 minutes ago, Hark said:

I think resigning either of them is unlikely, unless it is for very small dollars. It has nothing to do with ability, and everything to do with achilles injuries. As someone who has suffered a ruptured achilles, I can tell you that the rehab is loooooong, and, unlike many other injuries, it doesn't matter that these guys are in amazing physical shape. I believe this surgery requires zero weight bearing on that leg for at least a couple months. Then it is extremely minimal for a very long time after that. These guys won't be back for somewhere around a year. Add on top of that the uncertainty of lost capabilities due to the injury and I think it is going to be tough.

And then add to that Hooker was a subpar player before gettting injured.

Absolute no brainer to let him walk.

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

With Blackmon looking like he might be a player, and Hooker's ACL injury, does he just not get an offer? If healthy I'd like to see him come back on a 1 year "prove it" deal..

How would ANYONE know?

Seriously!?!    How could anyone know NOW?

Blackmon has played ONE GAME?   That’s not enough for anyone to know? Hooker was said to have looked good in camp.   If it’s worth anything he certainly said all the right things, like wanting to be a Colt his whole career and have his family live in Indianapolis. 

I think the odds are good that Hooker and Mack Get one year offers to stay in Indy and re-establish their careers.  Ballard tried to do similar things with guys like Geathers.  So it’s not unreasonable to think he’d do it with these two respected players. 

I don't think the chances are very good for either one of them.   But it isn't as unlikely as it was before they got hurt.  Neither were going to be Colts after this season but now there is a chance because big $$ won't be out there for them.  

6 hours ago, ColtJax said:

With Blackmon looking like he might be a player, and Hooker's ACL injury, does he just not get an offer? If healthy I'd like to see him come back on a 1 year "prove it" deal..

who was that safety we had a long while ago that was really fast but couldn't play defense to save himself? yea sadly hooker reminds me of him sigh hes a goner after this year

7 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Hooker doesn’t have an ACL, last I saw it was His Achilles’ tendon.

that said, yeah I think he’s done in a colts uniform 

1 hour ago, Catloaf said:

Not worth first-rounder money re-signing him, unless he takes less.  Maybe trade for a draft pick if anyone would be interested...

Can’t trade him. He’s injured and on IR. 

51 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

He might be brought back on a one year  prove it deal unless he decides to test FA. 

Depending on how we look at the safety position next off season, if we are in need. I can see Ballard making Hooker a reasonable contract offer.  

What will happen is we just don't know. All we can do is guess. (some call that speculate) :dunno:

If Hooker isn’t willing to come back on a minimum incentive contract then I’d say it’s his time to go.  He’s had chances here to shine and he has but injuries won’t let him.  

if I was him, I’d honestly take a contract, play behind Blackmon and train to get my body right.  

36 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

If Hooker isn’t willing to come back on a minimum incentive contract then I’d say it’s his time to go.  He’s had chances here to shine and he has but injuries won’t let him.  

if I was him, I’d honestly take a contract, play behind Blackmon and train to get my body right.  

If I were him, I'd go to a team that plays more man, or more single high, which is the system he's meant to play. He's a bad fit for our 2 high soft zone. 

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If I were him, I'd go to a team that plays more man, or more single high, which is the system he's meant to play. He's a bad fit for our 2 high soft zone. 

Yeah he should try a different defense for sure.  I still think he will be average at best wherever he goes.  Not a bad player just not a good one.  I hope he recovers physically and has an opportunity to continue his career. 

27 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yeah he should try a different defense for sure.  I still think he will be average at best wherever he goes.  Not a bad player just not a good one.  I hope he recovers physically and has an opportunity to continue his career. 

That may be true because of his injury, but I think he'd play a lot better than average in a different scheme if he were indeed healthy. IMO, we drafted him knowing what he was good at, then didn't use him in that way (changing schemes the next year). 

On 9/25/2020 at 8:39 AM, chad72 said:

Let us not get carried away with 1 game of Blackmon. As far as Hooker is concerned, unless he is willing to eat humble pie to come back as a backup after the injury, I do think his time with us is dwindling.

With his injury history, I doubt there are going to be many teams out there offering to dish out money like he'd be a guaranteed starter, and I would doubt many teams are going to be throwing long-term deals at him.  He has to prove he can stay healthy for a 16 game season, something he hasn't done in 4 years (7 games, 14 games, 13 games, <2 games).  

So, it wouldn't be too surprising (IMO) if Ballard offered him a 1 year deal with a low guarantee and some incentives built in... but he probably knows he's a better fit in a different scheme and can get a similar deal elsewhere where he's more suited to play.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:39 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I honestly think Mack’s injury increases the chances he takes at least a one year prove it deal with the Colts next year.

It will be interesting... if JT/Wilkins/Hines prove they're a formidable trio, where would Mack fit in the puzzle if he came back to Indy next year... I'd think he'd be able to go elsewhere, get offered more $ and have a better chance to get more carries.  I could be wrong, but my sense is that JT is going to establish himself a true #1 RB in this league before this year ends.  I understand his wear may be an issue considering how many miles he put on in college, but so far (in limited time) Wilkins has shown he can be a solid supplement to him.  Mack has already shown the league he can be an upper-level back in the NFL, so I don't think he'll have too much trouble finding $ if he is passing all his physicals and looking good in his workouts.

23 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

who was that safety we had a long while ago that was really fast but couldn't play defense to save himself? yea sadly hooker reminds me of him sigh hes a goner after this year

TJ Green or Laron Landry... I don't think Hooker is even close to either of those guys.  Hooker produced in college, he was producing very well (being talked about DROY) as a rookie before he got hurt.  He hasn't been a bad football player here.  He doesn't get thrown at much.  He's playing a scheme that isn't entirely suited to his skill set... but he has shown he can play.  TJ Green was a raw guy who didn't produce near the level as Hooker did in college and never showed anything in the NFL (another Grigs bust) and Landry was a roided out freak who was shown the door by the league because he couldn't pass PED tests.

Hooker, if he can stay healthy, can play in this league.  That is his major concern, is his health... he is an above average football player who could be very good if he's in the right system.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That may be true because of his injury, but I think he'd play a lot better than average in a different scheme if he were indeed healthy. IMO, we drafted him knowing what he was good at, then didn't use him in that way (changing schemes the next year). 

Yes, that was a weird scenario all around.  Ballard, keep in mind, didn't get to choose his coach.  He was basically stuck with Pagano.  Ballard knew what scheme he wanted to run on D, which was different than Pagano.  Pagano was talking about Hooker as 'the next Ed Reed' (who played under Pagano when he was a DC in Baltimore).  Hooker really fit the Pagano mold.  I would not be shocked, if Pagano is still in a defensive coordinator position going into next year that Hooker went to whatever team Pagano was affiliated with, TBH.  

Archived