Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game 3: Jets @ Colts - Stats, Personnel, Injuries, Comments

EastStreet

Just a quick stat and personnel look at our next opponent. 

Week 3
Jets (#32 Power Ranked)
2019 record: 7-9 (-83 Point differential)

2020 record: 0-2

Offense
Offensive 2019 DVOA: 31st (Pass: 32 / Run: 31)
Total O - #32
Total Pts - #31
Pass O - #29
Rush O - #31

Defense
Defensive 2019 DVOA: 10th (Pass: 18 / Run: 2)
Total D - #7
Total Pts - #16
Pass D - #17
Rush D - #2

(Note - the above are EOY 2019 numbers)

Added: OT George Fant (62.2), C Connor McGovern (72.0), CB Quincy Wilson, QB Joe Flacco

Lost: WR Robby Anderson (68.6), C Ryan Kalil, OT Brandon Shell, OT Kelvin Beachum, CB Trumaine Johnson

Key Draft Picks: T Mekhi Becton, Louisville (11th); WR Denzel Mims, Baylor (59th); S Ashtyn Davis, California (68th); EDGE Jabari Zuniga, Florida (79th); CB Bryce Hall, Virginia (158th)

Injury - Most of their WR group is hobbled. Mims, J Smith, and V Smit are IR, Doctson is out, Perriman is doubtful, Hoagan and Crowder are questoinable. Malone and Berrios (both are #2s) are the only healthy WRs right now. Center McGovern is questionable. 

Comments:
NYJ Offense: A lot of turnover on the OL, likely a good thing. Mims would have likely made an early impact, and losing Anderson (#2 WR), plus all the injuries will be just to much to overcome. Darnold is better than his numbers, but still likely lacking the supporting cast to move the needle. Losing Bell means Gore, and youngster Perine will be counted on even more.

NYJ Defense: Should have the same look as 2019 for the most part. Top 10-15 overall, but vulnerable to the pass. Basham (3-4 OLB) and Desir (CB) are both starting for NY and I'm sure have chips. While they were #2 vs the run last year, they aren't tracking near as good this year.

Colts Defense: Our pass D shouldn't have any problem this week, even with all the injuries. Our run D should be fine too. We'll be the 85 Bears for another week lol. The Jets OL ranked 27th pre-season, but might be a little better as they mature. If McGovern is out though, that will hurt big time.

Colts Offense: Jet's are good vs the run, and poor vs the pass (at least last year). I don't expect another MN game plan. If Taylor runs for 100+, that will be impressive, but again, the NY run D doesn't seem near as daunting the first two weeks of 2020. I expect more throwing this week, but I expect the passes to be mostly short to intermediate, I assume we'll see Hines re-emerge as a pass catcher. 

Prediction - Colts 27 / Jets 9

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets early injury report: Hurting big-time at WR. Breshad Perriman (ankle) and Jamison Crowder (hamstring) aren't practicing, leaving only three healthy WRs on the active roster. Perriman likely will miss two games, per Gase, who didn't sound optimistic about Crowder's chances this week. C Connor McGovern (hamstring) and CB Quincy Wilson (concussion) also not practicing.

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

In recent days, two veteran defenders have questioned the Jets' practice habits. After the game, S Bradley McDougald told SNY they've had "slow practices and it correlates to the game ... We've yet to have one complete, dominating week of practice." LB Avery Williamson, on WFAN, agreed, saying, "Sometimes, in practice, guys are missing tackles or we're not doing things right. We haven't been as crisp as we should be at times...We don't start fast at practice." A red flag.

Seems Rock might miss another game. He must of had some kind of procedure. Appendix, fall bladder, kidney stones? I am not going to take this game lightly because this team seems to always be inconsistent. I can imagine Desir and Wilson are going to be very motivated. We need to build on last week and get better not go backwards again. It sure was nice Sunday to not have a nail biter after all of last years games.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seems Rock might miss another game. He must of had some kind of procedure. Appendix, fall bladder, kidney stones? I am not going to take this game lightly because this team seems to always be inconsistent. I can imagine Desir and Wilson are going to be very motivated. We need to build on last week and get better not go backwards again. It sure was nice Sunday to not have a nail biter after all of last years games.

the fact RYS is on the injury report as illness, probably means there's still hope. he was released from the hospital pretty quick. maybe he just mixed too much White Castle and Taco Bell.

In all seriousness, he seems like a kid that won't let a lot hold him down. 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

the fact RYS is on the injury report as illness, probably means there's still hope. he was released from the hospital pretty quick. maybe he just mixed too much White Castle and Taco Bell.

Before the game he may have ate 2 double cheese and an onion chip lmao . I hope he plays but we will see?

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Injury - Most of their WR group is hobbled. Mims, J Smith, and V Smit are IR, Doctson is out, Perriman is doubtful, Hoagan and Crowder are questoinable. Malone and Berrios (both are #2s) are the only healthy WRs right now. Center McGovern is questionable. 

EioLWfCWkAAe2xe?format=jpg&name=900x900

Jets have a ton of guys on the injury report.

Just now, bestQBever said:

If our D line and O line show up this should be a 2-3 score game

I agree, in the prediction thread I have us winning 31-13. After a couple of weeks you get more of a feel for teams, who's bad, who's good. I underestimated the Jags. Even then I only had us winning 27-17 because they always play us tough.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sounds like MJ's "flu game" in 1997.

3 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Sounds like MJ's "flu game" in 1997.

Nah. If so, RYS would have played Sunday.

In all seriousness though, the "non-football" aspect of it is interesting. You'd think if was something as simple as the flu, or food poisoning, etc. , that RYS would have come out and said something.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

An interesting development:

I don't know if this will actually come to fruition, but it definitely could be a distraction in an already beat down Jets locker room.

Woody really is so clueless...he’ll probably think they’re supporting the team, not demonstrating.

If the colts lose this game it will be more disappointing then the jags game. Our dline should really destroy them with those injuries on the oline. I was laughing as I heard someone say Desir got benched for Wilson then Wilson got a concussion. If we don’t score 40 pts and destroy them something is very wrong. But Reichs teams have been so inconsistent. I hope we get a nice enjoyable game where we get to sit back and relax like last week. After last year we deserve that.

7 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Ouch. Must be all Gase's fault, hah. Trap game?

Go Colts!

Yep. Only 2 depth WRs healthy from the originals. Our DL should look better than the previous two weeks too. 

85 Bears. 85 Bears, 85 Bears 

lol

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If the colts lose this game it will be more disappointing then the jags game. Our dline should really destroy them with those injuries on the oline. I was laughing as I heard someone say Desir got benched for Wilson then Wilson got a concussion. If we don’t score 40 pts and destroy them something is very wrong. But Reichs teams have been so inconsistent. I hope we get a nice enjoyable game where we get to sit back and relax like last week. After last year we deserve that.

It's a game we'd have to really beat ourselves. Much like Jax.

Just now, DarkSuperman said:

The Colts not only need to win, but they need to come out and make a statement on Sunday. They need to destroy the Jets on both sides of the ball and win this game by a landslide.

The only element that "might" struggle is our running game, but I don't think that will happen either. Our pass O, pass D, and rush D should all dominate. My fear is we come out with a very conservative game plan, playing soft zone, and trying to not pass. 

13 hours ago, AustexColt said:

PLEASE don't let this be a TRAP game. Don't read the headlines. 

Jets are one of those teams that always seem to play the Colts tough even when they are considered bad.  The last time the Colts played the Jets was in 2018.  Everyone expected a Colts win then too but they lost to them. That lost had this forum on the brink as most of us (myself included) were ready to toss away any hopes of the Colts making the post season that year.  That was before Luck caught fire and the Colts made an incredible run to make the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

A trap game?  No.  Super Bowl III, now THAT was a trap game.  It still hurts, more than 50 years later.

I wasn’t born yet for that one but as a fan who is here because of the Colts’ Baltimore roots...that Super Bowl upset loss to that Jets team on our resume really irks me.  

15 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I wasn’t born yet for that one but as a fan who is here because of the Colts’ Baltimore roots...that Super Bowl upset loss to that Jets team on our resume really irks me.  

The 2002 wild card loss was as bad as it ever got. 41-0 was a total butt whipping. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The 2002 wild card loss was as bad as it ever got. 41-0 was a total butt whipping. 

Oh most definitely C.C.!  I think that was the most frustrated I have been in the Manning era after a post season loss.  In my mind there was just no excuse for losing to the Jets by that score in the playoffs with Peyton Manning as our QB.  As Colts fans we really had to persevere through some grueling post seasons to finally get that one Lombardi but that made it even sweeter to finally see our boys break through.  

We need to worry about ourselves in this game. Players need to be smart and focused. No turnovers, no foolish mistakes. If we do that then we’ll be fine. But if we start turning over the ball in our own territory, then it’ll be a long afternoon. 

We better be mentally prepared...

So 2 of their starting WRs are out, and one of the number 2s is questionable. 

They are basically down to one healthy starter (Hoagan), a questionable depth guy, and one healthy depth guy. Josh Malone has been signed to the active roster.

Starting RT is out, starting C is questionable. 

Gotta feel sorry for Darnold. Not really. Hope we crush him lol.

Team Stats                              Jets         Colts

Points Per Game                     15.0        24.0

Points Allowed Per Game        29.0        19.0

Total Yards                              275.0       408.0

Yards Passing                          197.0        288.5

Yards Rushing                         78.0          119.5

Yards Allowed                         397.0        228.5

Pass Yards Allowed                 257.0        143.0

Rush Yards Allowed                140.0         85.5

Decent quick hit from ESPN below. Under bold prediction, I'm going to go with Autry leading the team in sacks tomorrow (unless the swap sides with him and Houston)

Very depressing (stat about TY). Hope he rocks it tomorrow and ends that streak.

From ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/viewersguide09252020/nfl-week-3-game-picks-schedule-guide-fantasy-football-tips-odds-injuries-more#nyjind

Jets (0-2) at Colts (1-1)

4:05 p.m. ET | CBS
Matchup rating: 36 | Spread: IND -11.5 (44)

What to watch for: What will the Colts' defense do against a banged-up Jets offense? The Colts are coming off a game with three sacks against the Vikings, and the Jets will likely be without their starting running back, center, right tackle and top three receivers. Indianapolis should be able to keep its status as the NFL's best defense by the end of Sunday. -- Mike Wells

Bold prediction: Colts defensive end Justin Houston and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner will combine for at least three sacks against the Jets' banged-up offensive line, which likely will be without center Connor McGovern and right tackle George Fant. Houston usually lines up over the left tackle, but he could flip sides. Rookie left tackle Mekhi Becton is the Jets' best lineman at the moment. -- Rich Cimini

Stat to know: Indianapolis receiver T.Y. Hilton now has 13 consecutive games with fewer than 100 receiving yards, dating back to 2018 -- the longest streak of his career. And he has seven consecutive games without a receiving TD, tied for the second-longest such streak of his career and his longest since 2015-16 (also seven straight).

What to know for fantasy: In his first career start, Jonathan Taylor was one of two backs to carry the ball 20 times and rack up over 100 rushing yards in Week 2. Since 2015, teams playing with a lead run the ball 46.6% of the time (30.9% when trailing), and the Colts are the biggest favorite of Week 3. See Week 3 rankings.

Betting nugget: The Jets are one of three teams to lose both games by double digits this season. Read more.

Cimini's pick: Colts 27, Jets 13
Wells' pick: Colts 31, Jets 13
FPI prediction: IND, 65.8% (by an average of 5.7 points)

Archived