Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time For Your Weekly Colts Mailbag Questions

Why wasn't Hines used much against the Vikings?  He went from 15 touches week 1 to 1 touch against the Vikings.   He fielded 4 punts, so he must not have been hurt.   Just thought it was odd.

• Like 1

Mod Note:

Just a pre-emptive reminder that this is a thread intended to get fan questions for the Colts Mailbag, so please refrain from any discussion, airing of grievances, or just shots at players/coaches.

• Like 3

Which qb has been used in practice to simulate the upcoming opposing qb?  I assumed it was Kelly but since we have 4 qbs i realize it may be Eason.  Or have they used one to replicate Cousin and another to act as Minshew? And who is simulating darnold?  Whoever it is, how are they doing at it?

Thanks!

Edit:

Sorry that didn't have anything to do woth the Jets game.

How about:

What can we expect differently from the Jets defense, now that Adams is gone?

Question: Given the rash of season ending injuries to players all around the league at what appears to be a much higher rate than normal, is this possibly from the lack of a normal off season training program due to the Covid pandemic and what are the coaches/trainers doing different, if anything, to help reduce the chances for said injuries?

MAC went off in the home opener. Is the feeling around the Colts that it's time to stop treating him as a project and "let him loose" on gamedays? I know he's not as quick/fast as Ebron was - but his hands make the football look like a nerf ball and I think it's time he gets his shot in that receiving role, especially with our TE position depleted by injury.

• Like 1

Philip Rivers and Moe Alie-Cox really connected during the game after that interception on the first drive. How have tight ends matched up against the Jets defense so far this season, and should we expect to see more of MAC in the game plan?

• Like 1

Is there a reason all the Colts castaways go to the Jets? They have around 8 former Colts.

Are the Colts planning on following the recipe they had Sunday on O where Rivers keeps it under 30 attempts?

Do you believe the Colts have a good OL or do you think Q makes them better than they are?

and finally

Do you think the emergence of MAC will effect how we move the ball especially when Doyle comes back?

• Like 1

Question 1 - Looking at most of the basic and advanced stats, seems the DBs played more man, or at least closer to the LOS this week. Are there any numbers/% you can share about how much man we played last week, vs how much we played this week?

Question 2 - Where the increase in Oke's snaps due to being down some DBs, and MN playing from behind (and passing) most of the game? I though I saw Walker walking a little gingerly after one play. Did he have any injury issues in the game?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Question 1 - Looking at most of the basic and advanced stats, seems the DBs played more man, or at least closer to the LOS this week. Are there any numbers/% you can share about how much man we played last week, vs how much we played this week?

Question 2 - Where the increase in Oke's snaps due to being down some DBs, and MN playing from behind (and passing) most of the game? I though I saw Walker walking a little gingerly after one play. Did he have any injury issues in the game?

Question 1, wondering the same thing.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Question 1, wondering the same thing.

I really wish there was a site that tracked personnel usage. I think some of the pay sites do, and several sites track offensive personnel groupings (just not defensive). And while a lot of sites measure cushion per WR, they don't track it on a team D level, which I think would be an awesome stat. At least I haven't seen it anywhere.

Hopefully 

@AWalkerColts

picks that question. Hint hint. lol

• Like 1
On 9/22/2020 at 7:27 PM, CheezyColt said:

MAC went off in the home opener. Is the feeling around the Colts that it's time to stop treating him as a project and "let him loose" on gamedays? I know he's not as quick/fast as Ebron was - but his hands make the football look like a nerf ball and I think it's time he gets his shot in that receiving role, especially with our TE position depleted by injury.

To piggyback this great comment, what are you hearing about whether or not MAC will continue to be fully integrated into the passing game on a regular weekly basis? It sounds and looks like at least Philip wants that, anyway.

danlhart87 on Colts.com Forums:

"Is there a reason all the Colts castaways go to the Jets? They have around 8 former Colts.

Are the Colts planning on following the recipe they had Sunday on O where Rivers keeps it under 30 attempts?

Do you believe the Colts have a good OL or do you think Q makes them better than they are?

and finally

Do you think the emergence of MAC will effect how we move the ball especially when Doyle comes back?"

Walker: Woah, woah, woah. Firing from all angles here.

» I think the connection to the New York Jets is pretty clear: Rex Hogan, who was the Colts' Vice President of Player Personnel under Chris Ballard in 2017 and 2018, is now the Jets' Assistant General Manager under GM Joe Douglas. When you're Hogan and you already have so much intel and information on these players from your time in Indy, it really cuts down on the background work needed for players from outside organizations.

» I'm not sure I'd put a limit of passing attempts on Philip Rivers at 30 for this game, but that does seem about to be a sweet spot. The Jets have a ton of injuries in their secondary, though, so one would imagine Rivers won't be shy about testing out their depth. Another factor: the Jets' run defense is usually pretty tough under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, even though they didn't quite show that last week when they allowed 184 rushing yards on 27 carries against the San Francisco 49ers. So I'd expect a few more pass attempts in this one compared to last week.

» The Colts' offensive line is outstanding as a group. Anthony Castonzo is a top-five to top-10 left tackle in the NFL, the aforementioned Quenton Nelson is the best guard in the league, Ryan Kelly is probably a top-five center, Mark Glowinski has been one of the better run-blocking right guards in the league the last couple seasons, and is off to a wonderful start so far this year, and Braden Smith is undoubtedly one of the top young tackles in the game. Nelson gets the pub, and rightfully so, but the rest of the group is very good.

» And I addressed the Mo Alie-Cox/Jack Doyle dynamic above. If Doyle plays, I don't think Mo Alie-Cox gets quite as many looks every game, but he proved he needs more targets in general with the way he played last week.