Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for a QB in 2021

If we don't resign Rivers or roll with Eason for the following year, I hope we trade for a veteran QB vs. taking one in the draft. 

This is assuming that Lawrence, Fields, and Lance will be out of reach. 

Matthew Stafford and Carson Wentz are two QB's I believe will be "available" given a solid offer. Stafford will be 33 by the start of next season, but he still has 4-6 good years left.

Carson Wentz is not doing so hot right now, but I believe that he still has a lot of potential with the right coach.

You definitely don’t want to take the bandaid approach to the QB situation. It’s better to find a long term solution. I can’t think of the last time a team has won a SuperBowl by trading for an older QB. Maybe the Eagles with Foles but Wentz got them there.

Also, Stafford and Wentz have both had injury issues lately. The best solution is a QB from the draft.

6 minutes ago, chrisbeldridge said:

If the Jets have a top 2 pick and take Lawrence or Fields, how about going after Sam Darnold?  He hasn’t been in a good situation.  Who knows what he could do with a good offensive line and some capable skill players.  He was a 3rd overall pick after all.  Surely, there’s potential there.

Somebody on Jets forum suggested they take Lawrence then trade Darnold to Colts for 3rd 

48 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Somebody on Jets forum suggested they take Lawrence then trade Darnold to Colts for 3rd 

Sounds like Jets fan logic. The second they are in a position to draft Lawrence, Darnold will be worth less than Rosen was this offseason.

I know many might not agree but why not bring in Dak Prescott? In my opinion, if the Cowboys wanted to sign him long term they would've this past offseason. Ballard will have the cap space to sign him to a long term deal. The question is how much? I know many of people suggested Stafford or Wentz. But don't guys haven't stayed on the field recently. His playoff record is a small sample size and that 1-2 record could've been because of a multitude of things. I'm not going to put it all on Dak. Here are my reasons for Ballard to consider signing him. 

1. He stays on the field: He's started all 16 games in his career 

2. He wins: 41-25 career record since he came into the league. 

3. A career 65% completion percentage. Working with Frank and this coaching staff that number would go up to 70%

4. He is mobile: We're seeing a transition in the Quarterback position. Most of the great Quarterbacks in this league Mahomes, Watson, Lamar, etc are mobile. Dak is very mobile, gets out of the pocket, and throws on the run. 

Ballard has to consider this. 

https://www.nflanalysis.net/2021-nfl-free-agency-3-reasons-dak-prescott-to-the-colts-makes-perfect-sense/

7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I know many might not agree but why not bring in Dak Prescott? In my opinion, if the Cowboys wanted to sign him long term they would've this past offseason. Ballard will have the cap space to sign him to a long term deal. The question is how much? I know many of people suggested Stafford or Wentz. But don't guys haven't stayed on the field recently. His playoff record is a small sample size and that 1-2 record could've been because of a multitude of things. I'm not going to put it all on Dak. Here are my reasons for Ballard to consider signing him. 

1. He stays on the field: He's started all 16 games in his career 

2. He wins: 41-25 career record since he came into the league. 

3. A career 65% completion percentage. Working with Frank and this coaching staff that number would go up to 70%

4. He is mobile: We're seeing a transition in the Quarterback position. Most of the great Quarterbacks in this league Mahomes, Watson, Lamar, etc are mobile. Dak is very mobile, gets out of the pocket, and throws on the run. 

Ballard has to consider this. 

https://www.nflanalysis.net/2021-nfl-free-agency-3-reasons-dak-prescott-to-the-colts-makes-perfect-sense/

Well...    I trust Ballard and Irsay, but I’d say this....

Prescott has been a tough sign for the Cowboys.   He appears to want to milk every last possible dollar out of Dallas, as is his right.   Jerry Jones often takes the position that his top players should accept a little less because they’re going to make a lot more off the field to make up the difference and then some.

All I’m saying is this...   that if Prescott  doesn’t give Dallas a discount to be the QB of America’s Team then he’s NOT going to give the Colts a discount at all. Plus, Texas has no state taxes, Indiana does.   Players pay attention to this. 

Remember, we’re paying Rivers $25 mill.   Are you ready to pay Dak Prescott more than $40 mill a year?   Because that’s what it’s going to take.  Maybe 4/170-180.    Maybe 5/210-225.

Personally, I don’t see that happening.  But your mileage may vary.....

On 9/24/2020 at 11:41 PM, chrisbeldridge said:

If the Jets have a top 2 pick and take Lawrence or Fields, how about going after Sam Darnold?  He hasn’t been in a good situation.  Who knows what he could do with a good offensive line and some capable skill players.  He was a 3rd overall pick after all.  Surely, there’s potential there.

this didn't age well after today's game lol

On 9/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Well...    I trust Ballard and Irsay, but I’d say this....

Prescott has been a tough sign for the Cowboys.   He appears to want to milk every last possible dollar out of Dallas, as is his right.   Jerry Jones often takes the position that his top players should accept a little less because they’re going to make a lot more off the field to make up the difference and then some.

All I’m saying is this...   that if Prescott  doesn’t give Dallas a discount to be the QB of America’s Team then he’s NOT going to give the Colts a discount at all. Plus, Texas has no state taxes, Indiana does.   Players pay attention to this. 

Remember, we’re paying Rivers $25 mill.   Are you ready to pay Dak Prescott more than $40 mill a year?   Because that’s what it’s going to take.  Maybe 4/170-180.    Maybe 5/210-225.

Personally, I don’t see that happening.  But your mileage may vary.....

I personally don't think we'll get Dak, but to the money it'd cost ($40 million a year), I have one retort. Rivers and Brissett combined cost more than $40 million this year, so Dak, Eason, and Kelly (it'd be easy to re-sign him for cheap), could be the exact same amount or cheaper as our three QBs hypothetically heading into next year. It would hurt us from re-signing some of the 2018 class, but it might be worth it if Ballard sees Dak as an elite franchise QB.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I personally don't think we'll get Dak, but to the money it'd cost ($40 million a year), I have one retort. Rivers and Brissett combined cost more than $40 million this year, so Dak, Eason, and Kelly (it'd be easy to re-sign him for cheap), could be the exact same amount or cheaper as our three QBs hypothetically heading into next year. It would hurt us from re-signing some of the 2018 class, but it might be worth it if Ballard sees Dak as an elite franchise QB.

Remember...    our team pay structure is good for one year.    If we’d sign Dak, that would be our structure for as long as he’d be our QB.    With what Ballard says he wants for this roster, I don’t think that’s sustainable.  Doing it for one year is one thing.   Doing it for a good number of years is entirely different. 

Depending on just how bad the Eagles and Wentz perform, I can see them being willing to start over and trading him and with Frank's connection to him and the Eagles in general I can see us being interested. Would you give up our 1st for Wentz? Can Frank get him back to his form before ACL injury? 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Depending on just how bad the Eagles and Wentz perform, I can see them being willing to start over and trading him and with Frank's connection to him and the Eagles in general I can see us being interested. Would you give up our 1st for Wentz? Can Frank get him back to his form before ACL injury? 

A high 1st rounder. Absolutely yes!!! Wentz is playing without confidence though and playing safe as a passer, not sure how you can work on the mental aspect easily. 

On 9/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, danlhart87 said:

Someone on the Jets forum suggested tanking for Lawrence then trading Darnold to the Colts for a 3rd rounder 

This means the trade would be:

Colts get

OL Quenton Nelson

OL Braden Smith

DE Kemoko Turay

RB Jordan Wilkins

CB Rock Ya-Sin

QB Sam Darnold

Jets get

3rd Rounder in 21'

:lol:

I think we win

I don't want Darnold though 

@Zoltan

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

What about Eason? Are we abandoning him and not give him time to develop. After all he's got a cannon for an arm and by the end of the 2020 season he should be better. I believe he's getting more reps and gaining valuable experience under Rivers and Brissett. I say start him.

As far as abandoning him, what gave you that idea? 

As far as developing, no way to know.  All we are going to hear is when Reich or Ballard speak the coach/speak. 

Before assuming he is ready there are questions needing answered.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shyne7 said:

Well honestly i think Cam Newton would be a good option if he shows he can be healthy for the season. I think he’s gonna test the market and he would be great for this offense. 

You may be right but IMO he will resign with the Pats if Belichick thinks he is their starter. 

Archived