Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Troy Polamalu...

aavmarine

Aside from the huge contract he'd demand (and rightfully so), he doesn't really fit the system. He's awful in pass coverage, and we almost never used Bob to blitz, so I wouldn't expect that to change with Troy.

I'm not saying he isn't better than Bullitt; he is. For the money, however, I think we should stuff it in a matress for now.

I've been watch ESPN all morning and nothing has been said about Polamalu possible being traded. They said Steelers were trying to get all of their free agents signed before they started working on contract extensions. Didn't even say that Polamalu was evening complaining about it.

Aside from the huge contract he'd demand (and rightfully so), he doesn't really fit the system. He's awful in pass coverage, and we almost never used Bob to blitz, so I wouldn't expect that to change with Troy.

I'm not saying he isn't better than Bullitt; he is. For the money, however, I think we should stuff it in a matress for now.

This is ridiculous. He could easily play the Bob Sanders role.

I do agree, however, that he would be too expensive.

He's made some spectacular plays in pass-coverage (I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt in the Superbowl because he was playing injured) so I don't necessarily see it as a weakness

I think the one thing Polamalu does get too much of a free-pass for, is the fact that all too often he gambles too much, and alot of times when the Steelers get burnt for a big play, many times it's because he's out of position, but he makes up for it with timely big-plays that outweight those break-downs.

Anyway this thread is rediculous

On ESPN they just said the Steelers might look at putting Troy on Free Agent Trading, before/or giving him a contract extension. Would the Colts put a bid on him? Or would you think the Colts couldn't afford him?...

I think you may have heard that wrong. Either way, we're not getting him.

On a totally different subject, did anyone hear Skip Bayless making the case for why the Colts should get Randy Moss today?

This is ridiculous. He could easily play the Bob Sanders role.

I do agree, however, that he would be too expensive.

What's ridiculous? Where did I say he couldn't play the Bob Sanders role? All I noted was, Troy is a liability in pass coverage when an offense spreads the field. Bob wasn't. Troy is amazing in blitzing situations, but our defense doesn't blitz. Nor did we use Bob to blitz like...hardly ever.

Try reading it again, and starting over.

/end your nerd rage

I think you may have heard that wrong. Either way, we're not getting him.

On a totally different subject, did anyone hear Skip Bayless making the case for why the Colts should get Randy Moss today?

Did anyone hear Skip Bayless recognize someone else, other than himself, as having a valid point? No? Oh, then nothing to see here.

On a more serious note, Moss wouldn't be a horrible pickup, if the money's right, but again, I don't think he'd fit our scheme, and he's shown he can handicap an offense after teams get some film on him. Oh, and Peyton still won't hang on to the ball long enough to make Randy relevant.

What's ridiculous? Where did I say he couldn't play the Bob Sanders role? All I noted was, Troy is a liability in pass coverage when an offense spreads the field. Bob wasn't. Troy is amazing in blitzing situations, but our defense doesn't blitz. Nor did we use Bob to blitz like...hardly ever.

Try reading it again, and starting over.

/end your nerd rage

"he doesn't really fit the system"

This is ridiculous. I don't see how anyone could say that and be serious. He does not need to blitz to be successful and Bob was not this great coverage safety you seem to think he was, he was an in the box freak and that's what Troy would be for us, hypothetically speaking of course.

"Try reading it again, and starting over."

Thanks for the tip. It really was a better read the second time around.

"/end your nerd rage"

Yes, clearly I am the one with the "nerd rage". I forgot to take my medication for it today.

I agree with the sentiment that he is better in blitzing and run support than pass coverage. He's a risky pass defender. He'll take a huge risk and make it pay off with a pick, or a great defense, but the times he's not, he's usually not a great help in the defense of the pass.

Hm...I'm iffy on this. It would be nice to see our SS play more than 3 games a year, but I don't think we have enough money for him. I can't see the Steelers letting him go though, without Polamalu, their defense isn't scary at all. I wouldn't even say their defense is top 5 without Polamalu

Bob Sanders is greater than Troy Polamalu... plain and simple... As long as Bullit stays healthy, he will do the same as Polamalu and cost a lot less... For those that say otherwise... Watch the game Colts v Pats game where Bullit stops them at 4th and 1...That was a monster hit.. Bullit hits hard enough, and Bullit is a good fit to our system as a pass coverage safety; we don't need to waste money on Polamalu

Bob Sanders is greater than Troy Polamalu... plain and simple... As long as Bullit stays healthy, he will do the same as Polamalu and cost a lot less... For those that say otherwise... Watch the game Colts v Pats game where Bullit stops them at 4th and 1...That was a monster hit.. Bullit hits hard enough, and Bullit is a good fit to our system as a pass coverage safety; we don't need to waste money on Polamalu

That hit wasn't really that massive, he just kind of jumped on him and pushed him to the ground. Bob was a linebacker playing safety, he hit hard. Antoine comes second in his hitting, I haven't really seen Melvin really hit anyone that hard

That hit wasn't really that massive, he just kind of jumped on him and pushed him to the ground. Bob was a linebacker playing safety, he hit hard. Antoine comes second in his hitting, I haven't really seen Melvin really hit anyone that hard

Eh, thats really the only video I found of bullit on youtube to prove it, but he can deliver some big hits. Assuming he stays healthy, he'll prove that more this year... Yeah Sanders was amazing, he was one of the more terrifying safeties in the league , and Bethea can deliver as well. Give Bullit time and he'll show it

Yeah I'm not sure that was really that big of a hit either - just a solid tackle.

Makes you wonder ..had Faulk not bobbled the catch, would he have made the first down with Bullit bearing down on him? Perfect example of how football is a game of inches

bullitt is nothing compared to polamalu. bullitt is a terrible tackler and an average at best pass coverage safety. the guy is nothing special just an average player.

ok some people are crazy if they think that bob sanders is greater than troy polamalu. when bob was healthy he was as good as polamalu. therefore, the reason polamalu IS greater is because polamalu is healthy most of the time to play for his team. there is no way in the world the steelers will let the heart and soul of their defense go. we saw the last couple of years when he was out a few games how average that defense became. it wasn't because one player suddenly makes a defense great it was the intangibles PLUS his skills motivated the defense to play better as a whole

ok some people are crazy if they think that bob sanders is greater than troy polamalu. when bob was healthy he was as good as polamalu. therefore, the reason polamalu IS greater is because polamalu is healthy most of the time to play for his team. there is no way in the world the steelers will let the heart and soul of their defense go. we saw the last couple of years when he was out a few games how average that defense became. it wasn't because one player suddenly makes a defense great it was the intangibles PLUS his skills motivated the defense to play better as a whole

i think it just how the defense responsibilities are orchestrated and how certain players skills are needed for the defensive philosophy to work and when someone with the skills of polamalu or sanders go down so does the defense because the replacement doesnt make the same impact.