Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are #1 Defense through 2 weeks

PeterBowman

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Must you always be so negative? Can’t you just enjoy a win? I’m not saying our defense is the best in the league, I mean our opponents combined record is like 1-9 so something like that, but come on, at least give it a day before starting to root for the team you’re allegedly a fan of to suck bad 

Not being negative. Their D has been terrible the last 2 years. U want me to jump up and down because they r 2 and 1. I have seen this show before. I want to see them go up against some balanced teams and show me something. I just dont have a lot of faith in this scheme or the coordinator.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not being negative. Their D has been terrible the last 2 years. U want me to jump up and down because they r 2 and 1. I have seen this show before. I want to see them go up against some balanced teams and show me something. I just dont have a lot of faith in this scheme or the coordinator.

Just ride the win 

The unknown is for the future 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Funny thing for a fan to be looking forward to?

Honestly, I am. Unlike many here, I was not a fan of Ballards approach with regards to assembling this D.  He believes alot in this scheme and built the team to copy the Seahawks. Their D was awesome but teams have caught up. The NFL  is always evolving and I just think the scheme the Colts r running will not be successful. Of course,  I maybe wrong, but we will have to wait till the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not being negative. Their D has been terrible the last 2 years. U want me to jump up and down because they r 2 and 1

Maybe just not be anxiously waiting for the wheels to fall off?

Too much to ask?

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly, I am. Unlike many here, I was not a fan of Ballards approach with regards to assembling this D. 

So because you didnt approve of the approach by the team, you are actively rooting against them..... That's pretty cool.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly, I am. Unlike many here, I was not a fan of Ballards approach with regards to assembling this D.  He believes alot in this scheme and built the team to copy the Seahawks. Their D was awesome but teams have caught up. The NFL  is always evolving and I just think the scheme the Colts r running will not be successful. Of course,  I maybe wrong, but we will have to wait till the end of the season.

This part I don't understand though.  Would you rather be right and they suck or wrong and they excel?  I know which I'd rather be.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

This part I don't understand though.  Would you rather be right and they suck or wrong and they excel?  I know which I'd rather be.

Its not about being right or wrong.  I am just basing my lack of enthusiasm  on the  history of this defensive scheme. Dungy always said that history teaches and tells u a lot

I realize the Jets are a bad team, but this defense is wrecking havoc through 3 weeks. We are getting pressure on the QB, sacks, INTs, INTs for TDs, two safeties in two weeks. This is a huge improvement over last year already. You can tell the team is definitely improved, especially after the adjustments we made from week 1 to week 2.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Its not about being right or wrong.  I am just basing my lack of enthusiasm  on the  history of this defensive scheme. Dungy always said that history teaches and tells u a lot

I see.  So if they did continue to play well (which I'm not saying they will because I too still have reservations until they play really good offenses) and they beat the odds on the scheme, would you not be OK with it then?  Remember, as it pertains to THIS team, they have not had an inside presence like Buckner in I can't even remember when.  Maybe the Superbowl year when they had an aging Booger McFarland?  I believe it CAN make some difference there.  

Hey, it's your opinion and I'm not gonna razz you for it if that's what you really believe.  I just wonder why you would root against the defense of the team you love.  Wouldn't you rather see them defy the odds?

10 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I see.  So if they did continue to play well (which I'm not saying they will because I too still have reservations until they play really good offenses) and they beat the odds on the scheme, would you not be OK with it then?  Remember, as it pertains to THIS team, they have not had an inside presence like Buckner in I can't even remember when.  Maybe the Superbowl year when they had an aging Booger McFarland?  I believe it CAN make some difference there.  

Hey, it's your opinion and I'm not gonna razz you for it if that's what you really believe.  I just wonder why you would root against the defense of the team you love.  Wouldn't you rather see them defy the odds?

Hmmmmmm......I am not rooting against it per se.  I just dont think this D will take us deep into the play offs if we get there. I do like their approach on offence. I want this D to dominate every game. I just think against balanced teams, the scheme gets exposed.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmmm......I am not rooting against it per se.  I just dont think this D will take us deep into the play offs if we get there. I do like their approach on offence. I want this D to dominate every game. I just think against balanced teams, the scheme gets exposed.

It certainly could and that's something I am anxious to see as well.  I DO think something in their favor is SPEED.  They have it in bunches out there.  IF they stay disciplined and don't overpursue, like they did at times today, they can be effective.  It also wouldn't hurt if they can continue to cause turnovers at the rate they are going now, although I can't remember them causing a fumble yet.

A lot yet to be seen but I can't fault them for the way they have started thus far.

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Understandable. I’m not saying you shouldn’t be realistic, I have concerns with the scheme and defensive play calling as well, that said, I’m not actively rooting for them to be proven wrong.  

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I understand, but let’s keep in mind Dungy’s teams pretty much were the very same, bend but don’t break soft zone teams that in most ways, are very similar to what we’re trying to do now. Without a high scoring offense led by Peyton, Dungy wouldn’t be as highly regarded as he is today. Remember games like the 375 yards by MJD and company in 2006? There were tons of games like that

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh my.  I cannot wait till this D plays a balanced offense and the wheels come off. I think the Browns games is probably the 1st game that will tell  us where the D is at. I just dont expect great results as the year goes on. Look at the defences that play this style of D. They r getting carved up 

Pretty much means that you are not a Colts fan.  Why are you on the Colts board.   You are hoping the "wheels come off" which is rooting for a loss.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Understandable. I’m not saying you shouldn’t be realistic, I have concerns with the scheme and defensive play calling as well, that said, I’m not actively rooting for them to be proven wrong.  

Yeah, it seems he wants to be right so bad that he hopes the team loses to be proven true.  

That's odd.  I haven't seen many (if any) people on here claiming that the Colts have the best defense in the league.   Maybe showing some stats, but that is not really saying they are the best.  If Hines had the most rushing yards after the first couple weeks, he still wouldn't be the best RB in the league.  

I think this defense will get exposed in one of the next few games, but I hope it doesn't.   Mostly because I want the Colts to win, but it would also be nice to end the season being thought of as one of the better defenses in the NFL.  

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, it seems he wants to be right so bad that he hopes the team loses to be proven true.  

That's odd.  I haven't seen many (if any) people on here claiming that the Colts have the best defense in the league.   Maybe showing some stats, but that is not really saying they are the best.  If Hines had the most rushing yards after the first couple weeks, he still wouldn't be the best RB in the league.  

I think this defense will get exposed in one of the next few games, but I hope it doesn't.   Mostly because I want the Colts to win, but it would also be nice to end the season being thought of as one of the better defenses in the NFL.  

OK I'll do it.  The Colts are the best defense in the league.  There I said it.  Prove me wrong.  LOL

Lord knows they might prove me wrong on that soon, but as of right now........still I would not bet on them to be #1 after week 17.  I was honestly just hoping for a top 10, which I think is fairly reasonable.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With  no preseason and little offseason this scheduled worked out nice. At least we are building confidence and playing the lighter schedule in the beginning. We are officially out of the pre season now. 

I think this is more important that anything in this league.  MOMENTUM.  And if you can build it early, I believe it can carry you through to tougher games.  In the last several seasons it seems we started with a guantlet out of the gate and it showed.  This year they have an opportunity to bring some mo' to these tougher games in the 2nd half of the season.  It should help.

7 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

OK I'll do it.  The Colts are the best defense in the league.  There I said it.  Prove me wrong.  LOL

Lord knows they might prove me wrong on that soon, but as of right now........still I would not bet on them to be #1 after week 17.  I was honestly just hoping for a top 10, which I think is fairly reasonable.

Minshew, Cousins, Darnold...not exactly a "murderer's row" of QB's.   Time will tell.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

That's not what this sounds like:

I cannot wait till this D plays a balanced offense and the wheels come off. 

How do i say this.  I know it sounds like i am being negative. Part of me is hoping, I know that sounds bad, for this defence to get exposed and I think it will.  I lived through the Dungy days. Teams that run it in the NFL are getting carved up. Ballard keeps focusing on the 3 technique and now that Buckner is here, the defence will reach its potential. I would love a different defensive philosophy and one that is more aggressive.  How many years have the Colts fans been without a competitent defence?? Say 20 something years or more. I also dont have a lot of faith in Eberflus.  Just my thoughts and I hope I am making some sense?  My wife says I never do lol.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How do i say this.  I know it sounds like i am being negative. Part of me is hoping, I know that sounds bad, for this defence to get exposed and I think it will.  I lived through the Dungy days. Teams that run it in the NFL are getting carved up. Ballard keeps focusing on the 3 technique and now that Buckner is here, the defence will reach its potential. I would love a different defensive philosophy and one that is more aggressive.  How many years have the Colts fans been without a competitent defence?? Say 20 something years or more. I also dont have a lot of faith in Eberflus.  Just my thoughts and I hope I am making some sense?  My wife says I never do lol.

I guess I understand and also don't understand.   Even though I didn't want Brissett as the QB of the Colts, I never hoped he would play bad (when the playoffs were still possible).  I'd rather be proven wrong than be proven correct if it meant the Colts could/would lose.  

51 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I get that, I really do.  I've never been a fan of this scheme either.  However, you also have to remember the Bucs, Bears, Vikings, Cowboys etc have had really good success with the same scheme.  It's not so much about the scheme as it is the personnel and the playcalling.  Rod Marinelli and Monte Kiffin ran the same scheme but were also far more aggressive than Dungy ever was and it seems like Eberflus is trending towards the more aggressive approach.  At least I hope.

The biggest problem Dungy's defenses always had came against power running teams.  His defenses in MInn tended to do well against Barry Sanders but got the ball pounded down their throats by Emmett Smith and Rodney Hampton just like MJD used to carve up the Colts. 

Archived