Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In defense of Eberflus

John Hammonds

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts fan base:  We hate the Cover 2!  Your CB's are too passive!  You can't consistently get pressure on the QB!  We hate the play calling!  We hate the Cover 2!

Eberflus:  Dude, we're the #1 defense.

Colts fan base:  Yeah, but.....!

I saw plenty of man coverage being mixed up with Cover 2 and 3 by the Colts. 

I saw Cousins send a guy in motion with the Colts defender following him indicating man coverage several times. This is what we have been saying - you can definitely mix it up with this bunch. Rhodes had a chip on his shoulder against his old team, the Vikings, definitely played better. 

The D's play calling and execution was infinitely better. Cover 2 still sucks if the CBs give too much of a cushion and do not drive on the ball. :default_20smile: 

Darnold and the Jets lit us up in 2018 - 80% completion %.

Darnold, Minshew, Carr - this is the type of QB and offense where if they are willing to be efficient and play the west coast-type game, they just eat up this defense.

Eberflus better mix things up.

Really all anyone has been asking for is diversity in our defense.  Moving on form Grigs and Pagano, we just didn't have the playmakers to let that happen.  We said in 2017 that Ballard needed at least 2 years and we sort of gifted him the 2020 offseason since Luck retired in right before the season started in 2019.  Ballard and Reich are fixing that. 

Week 1 can be considered an aberration (depending on how the next several games go anyway), especially considering COVID-19 practically erased the offseason and we never got the opportunity to work out the kinks.  Being unprepared is inexcusable of couse, but I think anyone can at least understand it.  From all I can tell, few teams have dealt with the adversity the Colts have and even less teams would come out looking as good as we did last week without Ballard, Reich and yes, Eberflus.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Colts fan base:  We hate the Cover 2!  Your CB's are too passive!  You can't consistently get pressure on the QB!  We hate the play calling!  We hate the Cover 2!

Rightfully so...ppl aren't reacting to two games. Ppl question flus for his entire body of work and the continued issues his defenses have. I am all for enjoying the win but that offense we played yesterday is bad. Defense did what they were supposed to but now it's about stringing multiple games together and rising to the challenge against a BAL and Pitt, etc.

6 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

People have said it over and over: Cover 2 needs a D-Line that forces a QB to make quick reads and poor decisions.  We got that yesterday from our D-Line.  CB's didn't have to spend all day covering guys and, to their (and Flus') credit, they played up instead of back.

It worked the other way too - sticky coverage on pass catchers allowed DL to get to the QB by forcing him to either check down or hold the ball a little longer. You saw Cousins scrambling several times and having to avoid sacks or strip sacks throwing it away because the coverage was sticky and good. 

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

That is why I've never liked the NFL style of amount of yardage being the cway to rank offense or defense.  There is no way a team gives up 19-20 passing and 3 TDs to any QB, let alone an middle of the road QB like Minshew, and be considered the #1 defense.  it's about efficiency and the Colts D was very efficient against the Vikes but they were below bad against the Jags.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Really all anyone has been asking for is diversity in our defense.  Moving on form Grigs and Pagano, we just didn't have the playmakers to let that happen.  We said in 2017 that Ballard needed at least 2 years and we sort of gifted him the 2020 offseason since Luck retired in right before the season started in 2019.  Ballard and Reich are fixing that. 

Week 1 can be considered an aberration (depending on how the next several games go anyway), especially considering COVID-19 practically erased the offseason and we never got the opportunity to work out the kinks.  Being unprepared is inexcusable of couse, but I think anyone can at least understand it.  From all I can tell, few teams have dealt with the adversity the Colts have and even less teams would come out looking as good as we did last week without Ballard, Reich and yes, Eberflus.

I see what you did there...

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It worked the other way too - sticky coverage on pass catchers allowed DL to get to the QB by forcing him to either check down or hold the ball a little longer. You saw Cousins scrambling several times and having to avoid sacks or strip sacks throwing it away because the coverage was sticky and good. 

Absolutely.  If the Rhodes we say yesterday is the Rhodes we'll see the majority of the year then I'll be very happy with our starters.  I think Rock is going to take a step up in his second year.

After a rewatch, I'm less impressed by the defense. Still a good game (after a rough first drive), much better than last week. 

But Cousins was awful. He missed several open receivers, he was inaccurate and indecisive, the safety was an iffy call, and receivers dropped passes. Results are results, but the Vikings passing offense was really bad. 

Good game by the D line. Tackling was okay, not great. Coverage was okay, not great (lots of ticky tack penalties, yesterday; that crew was awful, IMO). They mixed it up nicely. 

They get another questionable offense, in Indy. I'd like to see them build on the game yesterday, stay tough against the run, and keep pressuring the QB. 

40 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is why I've never liked the NFL style of amount of yardage being the cway to rank offense or defense.  There is no way a team gives up 19-20 passing and 3 TDs to any QB, let alone an middle of the road QB like Minshew, and be considered the #1 defense.  it's about efficiency and the Colts D was very efficient against the Vikes but they were below bad against the Jags.

It's a terrible way to rank them. DVOA has them at #5...after the MIN game...because it's half the sample. #5 is a massive jump from #28 after the JAC game....and that MIN inflates it.

So like you said...great against MIN...bad against JAC. 

I am stoked about the game...but there is no way to know which game is the outlier right now...we will just have to see what happens.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

After a rewatch, I'm less impressed by the defense. Still a good game (after a rough first drive), much better than last week. 

But Cousins was awful. He missed several open receivers, he was inaccurate and indecisive, the safety was an iffy call, and receivers dropped passes. Results are results, but the Vikings passing offense was really bad. 

Good game by the D line. Tackling was okay, not great. Coverage was okay, not great (lots of ticky tack penalties, yesterday; that crew was awful, IMO). They mixed it up nicely. 

They get another questionable offense, in Indy. I'd like to see them build on the game yesterday, stay tough against the run, and keep pressuring the QB. 

A lot of truth in this post.  Only one of the INTs was a great play by the D.  One was a poor pass that also went through the receivers hands and one was on a hail mary at the end of the half.  The run defense was inconsistent, they still gave up over 4 yards per carry, they benefitted by the Vikes going away from the run.

Also, a little disappointing that the Colts only got 6 points off the two INTs, both of which gave the Colts the ball in Vikings territory.

That being said, I would still put the defensive performance as great against the Vikes.  It's just not great in that can be expected, especially when facing a good QB.

Just now, Superman said:

Yep. People are going to overreact to this game...and that's fine...but it was a bit flukey...given how bad the MIN (and Cousins) played. 

Cousins had the worst game as a starter (from a passer rating standpoint) of his long career to date. Despite being a very good QB that past 2-3 years...he was objectively terrible in this game...often unforced...like you said...indecisive and inaccurate.

All three of the Colts INTs were fluky plays. Two were tipped passes...one on a 3rd and long YOLO throw into double coverage (essentially a punt)...and the other on terrible pass that was behind an open WR. The other INT was an end-of-half hail mary. 

That Rhodes PD was also a bad pass. IF Cousins puts any air under that (like most competent NFL QBs would)...Thielen is off to the races.

Unfortunately, the NYJ game will tell us very little about the defense...but they can build off this past game.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

To 'Flus' credit, he inherited a defense that needed a total rebuild.  Ballard (and many others) have said pretty much since he's been around that we need a solid 3T to anchor this D.  We have that now.  Week 1 was really his first game with the DL and our DBs definitely played back most of the game.  That said, although they gave up a high percentage of completions, they let up very few big plays and the Jags capitalized on pretty bad turnovers by our O.  

The D, overall, looked significantly better yesterday (IMO).  In part due to more aggression from the DBs, in part due to our DL disrupting the QB and his timing, and likely in part due to the fact that our O kept the ball for 38 min, 25 seconds (almost doubled MIN's time of possession).  

I know the Colts had a couple intrasquad scrimmages, but week 1 was really 'Flus' first chance to gauge the talent on D.  We have 2 key new additions (well 3 now that Blackmon's probably going to see increased time ) at important places on D (Rhodes as CB2 and DeForest on the DL... plus Carrie in the backfield and a somewhat unexpected loss of Tell).  I imagine it was quite difficult to fully grasp what type of talent we had week 1 without really being able to judge how impactful the new additions would be or without truly seeing how the young guys developed in the off-season.  I hope we see a more aggressive D, like we saw in MIN, moving forward... and I think 'Flus can now actually gauge how much he can 'mix it up' on D with multiple weeks of actual game tape.

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Also, a little disappointing that the Colts only got 6 points off the two INTs, both of which gave the Colts the ball in Vikings territory.

The offense is struggling to score in the red zone. Part of that is turnovers (at least Rivers' INT yesterday wasn't his fault; he had a pretty good game), failed 3rd and 4th downs, a missed kick... And they've still scored 20 and 28 points. They could clean up a few things and be at 30+ every week.

Yesterday's game plan was stubborn, IMO. Reich is still feeling out his team. 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Unfortunately, the NYJ game will tell us very little about the defense...but they can build off this past game.

It could tell us the defense is terrible. Or it could tell us they're playing with more discipline. 

22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

A lot of truth in this post.  Only one of the INTs was a great play by the D.  One was a poor pass that also went through the receivers hands and one was on a hail mary at the end of the half.  The run defense was inconsistent, they still gave up over 4 yards per carry, they benefitted by the Vikes going away from the run.

That being said, I would still put the defensive performance as great against the Vikes.  It's just not great in that can be expected, especially when facing a good QB.

Even the Willis INT was fluky. It bounced right to him...because he was behind the play.

Great play by Blackmon to track it and tip it though. But Cousins, for some reason (probably frustration at that point), decided to throw one of those 3rd and long bomb/punt plays into clear double coverage. And he didn't even give Thielen a chance because the pass (like many others) was underthrown. Thielen catches that if Blackmon wasn't there...so thankfully he was. 

34 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Even the Willis INT was fluky. It bounced right to him...because he was behind the play.

Great play by Blackmon to track it and tip it though. But Cousins, for some reason (probably frustration at that point), decided to throw one of those 3rd and long bomb/punt plays into clear double coverage. And he didn't even give Thielen a chance because the pass (like many others) was underthrown. Thielen catches that if Blackmon wasn't there...so thankfully he was. 

The main reason I don't consider that fluky is because teams practice that... the front defender tipping the ball up so the back defender can make a play on it.  Also 3rd and 10 a QB is going to go to his go-to receiver so it wasn't necessarily a poor decision on Cousins' part.

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The main reason I don't consider that fluky is because teams practice that... the front defender tipping the ball up so the back defender can make a play on it.  Also 3rd and 10 a QB is going to go to his go-to receiver so it wasn't necessarily a poor decision on Cousins' part.

True...but I don’t think Willis intended to get blocked out there. Tipped passed are fluky by default. 

But I really was talking about the decision there. Going to your best target is one thing...but it was a bad play call and unnecessary and unforced risk....especially when he only needed 10 yards. And the Colts were doubling Thielen all game because no one else stepped up. 

MIN’s offense was out of sync all game...and Cousins was as well. We will know more in a few weeks.

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

The offense is struggling to score in the red zone. Part of that is turnovers (at least Rivers' INT yesterday wasn't his fault; he had a pretty good game), failed 3rd and 4th downs, a missed kick... And they've still scored 20 and 28 points. They could clean up a few things and be at 30+ every week.

Yesterday's game plan was stubborn, IMO. Reich is still feeling out his team. 

It could tell us the defense is terrible. Or it could tell us they're playing with more discipline. 

Right...if the NYJ are able to move the ball and score...that will be bad news. I just can’t see that happening with the weapons (or lack there of) that they have.

7 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

To 'Flus' credit, he inherited a defense that needed a total rebuild.  Ballard (and many others) have said pretty much since he's been around that we need a solid 3T to anchor this D.  We have that now.  Week 1 was really his first game with the DL and our DBs definitely played back most of the game.  That said, although they gave up a high percentage of completions, they let up very few big plays and the Jags capitalized on pretty bad turnovers by our O.  

The D, overall, looked significantly better yesterday (IMO).  In part due to more aggression from the DBs, in part due to our DL disrupting the QB and his timing, and likely in part due to the fact that our O kept the ball for 38 min, 25 seconds (almost doubled MIN's time of possession).  

I know the Colts had a couple intrasquad scrimmages, but week 1 was really 'Flus' first chance to gauge the talent on D.  We have 2 key new additions (well 3 now that Blackmon's probably going to see increased time ) at important places on D (Rhodes as CB2 and DeForest on the DL... plus Carrie in the backfield and a somewhat unexpected loss of Tell).  I imagine it was quite difficult to fully grasp what type of talent we had week 1 without really being able to judge how impactful the new additions would be or without truly seeing how the young guys developed in the off-season.  I hope we see a more aggressive D, like we saw in MIN, moving forward... and I think 'Flus can now actually gauge how much he can 'mix it up' on D with multiple weeks of actual game tape.

I'ts impossible to not be infatuated with the aggressive style we played with this week.  It obviously has its srengths and weaknesses, but I prefer to play this style and take our chances.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Since we are on the subject of defense, whether it is good or bad, can anyone not think through 2 games Darious Leonard is the top choice for defensive player of the year? That guy is unreal, always in position, strong tackler, makes play after play after play. Wow!

not even close, that's clear bias 

16 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Seriously. Thats your take on yesterday's game? A game like yesterday infuriates me even more. Eberflus should have had the same game plan against the Jags. He played off the receivers and allowed Minshew to complete 95% of his passes. Thats a joke. I have read and heard ex gms say we were out coached in the Jags game. We played vanilla D and allowed Minshew to complete shirt passes by playing sofr. I am still not impressed with him as a coordinator. Has done nothing to wow me.

10 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. People are going to overreact to this game...and that's fine...but it was a bit flukey...given how bad the MIN (and Cousins) played. 

Cousins had the worst game as a starter (from a passer rating standpoint) of his long career to date. Despite being a very good QB that past 2-3 years...he was objectively terrible in this game...often unforced...like you said...indecisive and inaccurate.

All three of the Colts INTs were fluky plays. Two were tipped passes...one on a 3rd and long YOLO throw into double coverage (essentially a punt)...and the other on terrible pass that was behind an open WR. The other INT was an end-of-half hail mary. 

That Rhodes PD was also a bad pass. IF Cousins puts any air under that (like most competent NFL QBs would)...Thielen is off to the races.

Lets all wait and see.  I am not going to jump on the band wagon. When they play the meat of their schedule and play well, then mayb then I will look at the D differently.  Until that time. I am basing my view of the defence on 2 years under Ballards drafting and Eberflus' coaching. My assessment so far is that they r a below average defence. After 2 games, I am not overly impressed.

3 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Since we are on the subject of defense, whether it is good or bad, can anyone not think through 2 games Darious Leonard is the top choice for defensive player of the year? That guy is unreal, always in position, strong tackler, makes play after play after play. Wow!

Lets way and see till we actually play a balanced offence. We will about mid way and then we r going to see who is legit on this team. 

Hooooold one a second... the Colts may have looked like the #1 defense on Sundayt, it was awesome to witness (even though the Vikings helped with that by being absolutely garbage) BUT you cannot tell me we looked like even a top 30 defense against the Jags. This notion that we are #1 defense after 2 weeks is fraud lol. You cant allow 19/20 pass completion 1 of 2 weeks and be the best in the league.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

John Hammonds: Yeah but..................!

22 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

#1 defence, earned off of Sunday’s game against the Vikings only. 

anyone with their eyelids not super glued shut would tell you our defence against the jags was embarrassing.

The moral of the story? Stats can be deceiving.

Archived