Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard looking like a genius

danlhart87

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

How did Pittman look today 

I think the 4 catches for 37 yards things really understates things a bit.  There was at least 2 of those catches that we're tough catches for important first downs though.  

Didn't put up big stats but I was impressed by the catches he did make.  

There was one where he got sandwiched by 2 defenders as me made the catch and still hung on.  

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I can't wait for the day when people stop saying this sort of thing.  Bottom line is Grigson left the Colts in worse condition overall than he found it, despite taking over after the lost 2011 year without Manning.  Yes, he went 8-8 in 2015 with 5 QBs.  Then he went 8-8 again with a full year of Andrew Luck.  Grigson was not good.  Please stop romanticizing it...

I hate to be argumentative but theres only one number that matters for any team, any GM, any coach - ever. Wins. No other metric counts. 

Id take a team with more wins over a team with more talent 100% of the time. 

EDIT-duplicate posts

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

The Jaguars are still looking like a pesky team we should have won against, if we would have played up to our talent. The margin of winning and losing, however, is thin in the NFL and if you bring your B game versus A game, you always stand a good chance of losing. 

Even in 2018, after we started 0-1, we tied with the then Alex Smith led Redskins (now WFT) to 1-1. Then, we went down a spiral to go down 1-5. As much as the Jets may look weak on paper, we have to go out there and play our A game to win. If we win by double digits, that would be as expected in fans' eyes but most coaches and players will tell you, no apologies for a win even if it is by the skin of your teeth.

The Jets look about as bad as any team I have ever seen in the NFL.  If they lose to them, heads need to roll.  Every season nearly ever team loses a game that makes no sense.  Let's hope we got ours out of the way.  We no longer have depth at some positions, so let's hope this rash of injuries isn't an ongoing trend.  

7 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

The Jets look about as bad as any team I have ever seen in the NFL.  If they lose to them, heads need to roll.  Every season nearly ever team loses a game that makes no sense.  Let's hope we got ours out of the way.  We no longer have depth at some positions, so let's hope this rash of injuries isn't an ongoing trend.  

Its not the end of the world if they lose

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think the 4 catches for 37 yards things really understates things a bit.  There was at least 2 of those catches that we're tough catches for important first downs though.  

Didn't put up big stats but I was impressed by the catches he did make.  

There was one where he got sandwiched by 2 defenders as me made the catch and still hung on.  

He separates on slant routes well, and holds on to the ball. I'm liking him so far. 

I also like how the offense looks on screen passes. Those are two areas the offense has really struggled for ten years, and it looks like we're finally going to see some proficiency there moving forward. And we have a good OL. Just clean up some other areas and the offense should be good to go. 

One thing I’m impressed with is the depth we have on this team:

Campbell goes down and we have depth behind him 

Doyle out and MAC has a big game

Hooker done and Blackman steps in

Granted there will be a drop off, should we lose Buckner, Castonzo or Nelson but for the most part, we’re deeper than I can remember.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Its not the end of the world if they lose

You're right, it's just football which means if they go 1-15 it's not the end of the world. But in the context of the NFL, losing to a team who will be fielding Frank Gore as their only experienced back, Braxton Berrios as their #1 WR and Chris Herndon at TE, iIf those guys beat us, in NFL terms, it should be the end for someone. That might be the weakest top 3 playmakers in decades for a football team. We should hold them to under 10 points, max and should easily win the game if they are prepared and professionally coached. 

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I still think that speaks to Ballard's genius.  Yeah Williams isn't with the colts anymore and on the Lions practics squad, but it's pretty ingenious to be able to put in RBs for career performances, whether they come form the street or the 2nd round.  It's even more genius to hire the head coach that understands how to use those players and get them to perform above the expectation . . . even if for a game or two.

Also agree on Blackmon.  Still good to see him come in and perform.  That still speaks loudly, IMO.

If there's genius, it's simple genius like building the OL. It's fundamental stuff that a lot GMs just don't do. I'm very happy to have Taylor, and happy we got him in the 2nd, but I'd never take a RB in the 1st. 

Yup on Blackmon. I really hope he's legit. I don't care if it's at FS or SS. Always thought he'd be a great SS, still have doubts on FS. In C2 or T2, not really a traditional FS anyway, but still. We will see a lot of big booming hits from the kid, that, I'm sure of.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

The Jaguars are still looking like a pesky team we should have won against, if we would have played up to our talent. The margin of winning and losing, however, is thin in the NFL and if you bring your B game versus A game, you always stand a good chance of losing. 

Even in 2018, after we started 0-1, we tied with the then Alex Smith led Redskins (now WFT) to 1-1. Then, we went down a spiral to go down 1-5. As much as the Jets may look weak on paper, we have to go out there and play our A game to win. If we win by double digits, that would be as expected in fans' eyes but most coaches and players will tell you, no apologies for a win even if it is by the skin of your teeth.

Fax.

7 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I hate to be argumentative but theres only one number that matters for any team, any GM, any coach - ever. Wins. No other metric counts. 

EDIT-duplicate posts

I've watched enough Pacers games to know that more wins doesn't mean we're in the running for a championship.  If I don't have hope for that...I don't care.  So there's a limit to the "wins is all that matters."  Winning the regular season is great, but who gives a flying F if you don't do anything else?  So talent does matter, and I am sorry to say I disagree a bit with you just to how much it matters...

We won yesterday... but we also imposed our will and that matters more than the simple fact we won, IMO.  Just my two cents...

I've been saying for 3 years now Ballard has done an excellent job in comparison to other gms around the league. Hooker went down yesterday and not only did Blackmon play well but Odum also stepped in and had a solid game. This team is solid, the depth is very apparent, but you still have to go out and execute every week. I said it last week and I'll repeat it again, this team can win 14 games or they may only win 4. The Jest are so bad this should be a 45-10 laugher, BUT, remember people we lost to a very pathetic Jest team in 2018(with Andrew Luck at qb.) Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that performance.

13 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I've been saying for 3 years now Ballard has done an excellent job in comparison to other gms around the league. Hooker went down yesterday and not only did Blackmon play well but Odum also stepped in and had a solid game. This team is solid, the depth is very apparent, but you still have to go out and execute every week. I said it last week and I'll repeat it again, this team can win 14 games or they may only win 4. The Jest are so bad this should be a 45-10 laugher, BUT, remember people we lost to a very pathetic Jest team in 2018(with Andrew Luck at qb.) Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that performance.

Odum probably does not have the makings of a star, but when he's played, when did he not have a solid game?

19 hours ago, JPFolks said:

You're right, it's just football which means if they go 1-15 it's not the end of the world. But in the context of the NFL, losing to a team who will be fielding Frank Gore as their only experienced back, Braxton Berrios as their #1 WR and Chris Herndon at TE, iIf those guys beat us, in NFL terms, it should be the end for someone. That might be the weakest top 3 playmakers in decades for a football team. We should hold them to under 10 points, max and should easily win the game if they are prepared and professionally coached. 

Add that they're coached by the absurdly overrated Adam Gase.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Odum probably does not have the makings of a star, but when he's played, when did he not have a solid game?

I think that's exactly what Odum is though. Higher floor, lower ceiling kind of guy. He'll be sufficient when forced to play, but not the guy you want to have slated as your starter.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:41 AM, King Colt said:

Taylor is a key in sustained drives instead of three nd outs. He takes the pressure of passing off Rivers. It has been way too long for the Colts to go without a premier running back and if today is an example I think they have one.

Mack was a premier RB. An injury kept him from having the premier numbers but the talent was there.

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think that's exactly what Odum is though. Higher floor, lower ceiling kind of guy. He'll be sufficient when forced to play, but not the guy you want to have slated as your starter.

Gase is so bad...I don't fault any player that wanted out of that organization while he is still there. It's incredible that a team hired him after MIA. 

22 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

EDIT-duplicate posts

Andrew Luck=Grigson's wins and that pick was a no brainer.  

TY was a value pick too, but other than that, there's not much to write home about.  His use of 1st round picks between Luck and Kelly (because the line was so bad), were borderline criminal.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mack was a premier RB. An injury kept him from having the premier numbers but the talent was there.

He was very underrated by people on this board.  Injury prone, but he was a stud all around back.

He was really fun to watch in person.  I think his ease of running didn't "look" as cool on TV as it did him gliding around from the top of the oil can.  I also saw that game late in 2018 at Tenn when he just dominated.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Gase is so bad...I don't fault any player that wanted out of that organization while he is still there. It's incredible that a team hired him after MIA. 

He's easily my least favorite HC. As soon as NYJ announced the hire, I knew they'd be a consistent bottom-feeding team regardless of how many talented players they brought in. Can't be successful when your HC is the biggest locker room cancer on the team.

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

He's easily my least favorite HC. As soon as NYJ announced the hire, I knew they'd be a consistent bottom-feeding team regardless of how many talented players they brought in. Can't be successful when your HC is the biggest locker room cancer on the team.

He looked crazy in introduction press conference 

33 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is id not a premier RB. He cant stay healthy.   U cant call someone a premier player if they cant stay on the field. 

I think he's saying he has top RB talent, but the injuries are keeping him from being a top RB, so I think you're both saying the same thing.

20 hours ago, Shive said:

And also their QB is average to date. 

12 minutes ago, Horsey said:

Paid Rivers $25 million instead of paying Cam Newton only $1 million. What a genius move!

You honestly think Cam was asking for $1m at the beginning of Free Agency? 

He was wanting $20-$30m. No one signed him early because they couldn't bring him for a physical to evaluate his recovery because of covid.

14 minutes ago, Horsey said:

Drafted Campbell over Metcalf and Pittman over Claypool. Genius indeed!

Metcalf over Campbell is fair enough, lets not act like Pittman vs Claypool comparison is anywhere near its conclusion. Barely even started yet.

And back to Metcalf vs Campbell, who knows how that turns out if teams are reversed.

Campbell could of balled out with Wilson and stayed healthy. Metcalf would of had Brissett throwing his way, so doubt these 2 would be looked at the same if teams were reversed.

33 minutes ago, Horsey said:

A GM with a losing career record being called a genius. 

michael jordan laughing GIF

He did have 1 of the top QBs in the league retire right before the 3rd season after a deep playoff run the 2nd season and who was injured 1st season on the job. Facts and background info aren't important? I think he has done a great job with the circumstances he has had to deal with.

Archived