Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Rapoport] Malik Hooker is feared to have torn Achilles. MRI tomorrow.


Recommended Posts

Well. Next man up. Odum will do just fine plus you have Blackmon waiting in the wings! 

 

Unfortunately fo Hooker I doubt he'll be healthy prior to the end of training camps next year so he will not be getting a good second contract. Too bad for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t call guys undone by injuries busts. To me a bust is a player that shows that from a skill standpoint he doesn’t measure up.  I think Hooker measures up skill-wise, but he has been undone by injuries.  It’s a shame because he could’ve been really good.  :(

Well said!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t call guys undone by injuries busts. To me a bust is a player that shows that from a skill standpoint he doesn’t measure up.  I think Hooker measures up skill-wise, but he has been undone by injuries.  It’s a shame because he could’ve been really good.  :(

Great Day GIF by memecandy

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t call guys undone by injuries busts. To me a bust is a player that shows that from a skill standpoint he doesn’t measure up.  I think Hooker measures up skill-wise, but he has been undone by injuries.  It’s a shame because he could’ve been really good.  :(

I agree, but 

 

Do you consider Greg Oden a bust?

 

He never really got to show the skill set because of injuries.

 

But he was drafted in front of Durant, compounding the bust label.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m kinda worried going forward. No preseason has guys dropping like flies, or at least it has to be part of it.

 

Hopefully guy’s bodies adjust or whatever. I know Hooker, Mack, and Parris have dealt with injuries but for all of them to go down like that? Yeah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, but 

 

Do you consider Greg Oden a bust?

 

He never really got to show the skill set because of injuries.

 

But he was drafted in front of Durant, compounding the bust label.

There is a big difference in a top 15 pick and undrafted free agent.  Undrafted free agents can’t really be busts.  

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m kinda worried going forward. No preseason has guys dropping like flies, or at least it has to be part of it.

 

Hopefully guy’s bodies adjust or whatever. I know Hooker, Mack, and Parris have dealt with injuries for all of them to go down like that? Yeah.

The amount of injuries league wide is very troubling. 

Big names dropping.

 

3 potential season injuries for the Colts already is very worrisome. Not small names either, prominent role players. Not even to mention Doyle and Burton.

 

Lack of live reps amd preparations have to be playing major role I would think.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is a big difference in a top 15 pick and undrafted free agent.  Undrafted free agents can’t really be busts.  

Well of course...

 

 Not sure what that is referring to though?

 

Rocky said he doesn't consider players bust who get injured, he considers them bust if their talent don't stack up to high expectations.

 

He was referring to Hooker(top 15 pick)

I listed counter Oden(#1 pick, albeit basketball) to get his thoughts in that situation.

 

There is no expectations from undrafted guys or any mention about them.?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, but 

 

Do you consider Greg Oden a bust?

 

He never really got to show the skill set because of injuries.

 

But he was drafted in front of Durant, compounding the bust label.

Even though Oden is labeled a bust he definitely is not. That's a media creation fans have bought into...

 

A bust is a guy like Flowers the LT drafted by NYG who looks like he doesn't belong on this level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t call guys undone by injuries busts. To me a bust is a player that shows that from a skill standpoint he doesn’t measure up.  I think Hooker measures up skill-wise, but he has been undone by injuries.  It’s a shame because he could’ve been really good.  :(


If you draft a Safety in the middle of the 1st Rd, I’d expect that Safety to be a top 5 safety.

 

Hooker is not or was not a top 10 Safety.

 

Translation, he’s a bust IMO.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well of course...

 

 Not sure what that is referring to though?

 

Rocky said he doesn't consider players bust who get injured, he considers them bust if their talent don't stack up to high expectations.

 

He was referring to Hooker(top 15 pick)

I listed counter Oden(#1 pick, albeit basketball) to get his thoughts in that situation.

 

There is no expectations from undrafted guys or any mention about them.?

I missed read I thought you said Odum.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MPStack said:


If you draft a Safety in the middle of the 1st Rd, I’d expect that Safety to be a top 5 safety.

 

Hooker is not or was not a top 10 Safety.

 

Translation, he’s a bust IMO.

You ignore the point of my post, that being that he was undone by injuries.  As a rookie he was balling, but then suffered that devastating injury.   His 2nd year was a year of just trying to get back to peak health.   His 3rd year, yes a little bit of a disappointment, though he kept getting nicked up, so again, his progress was set back by little nagging injuries.  This year, finished by injury. 
 

If your definition of “busy” includes for injuries, then go ahead a stand by your assertion, for that’s your prerogative.  For me, though, and many others, “bust” cannot he used on players undone by injuries.  I consider it indisputable that Hooker’s issues aren’t purely due to injuries.  I have no doubt in my mind that, had he not been injured so many times, he would have lived up to the near universal billing of his talent level. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

You ignore the point of my post, that being that he was undone by injuries.  As a rookie he was balling, but then suffered that devastating injury.   His 2nd year was a year of just trying to get back to peak health.   His 3rd year, yes a little bit of a disappointment, though he kept getting nicked up, so again, his progress was set back by little nagging injuries.  This year, finished by injury. 
 

If your definition of “busy” includes for injuries, then go ahead a stand by your assertion, for that’s your prerogative.  For me, though, and many others, “bust” cannot he used on players undone by injuries.  I consider it indisputable that Hooker’s issues aren’t purely due to injuries.  I have no doubt in my mind that, had he not been injured so many times, he would have lived up to the near universal billing of his talent level. 

Trying to recall, wasn’t one of the reasons he dropped in the first round to the Colts because he was nursing an injury? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, w87r said:

The amount of injuries league wide is very troubling. 

Big names dropping.

 

3 potential season injuries for the Colts already is very worrisome. Not small names either, prominent role players. Not even to mention Doyle and Burton.

 

Lack of live reps amd preparations have to be playing major role I would think.


I think the same happened the last time there was no preseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

You ignore the point of my post, that being that he was undone by injuries.  As a rookie he was balling, but then suffered that devastating injury.   His 2nd year was a year of just trying to get back to peak health.   His 3rd year, yes a little bit of a disappointment, though he kept getting nicked up, so again, his progress was set back by little nagging injuries.  This year, finished by injury. 
 

If your definition of “busy” includes for injuries, then go ahead a stand by your assertion, for that’s your prerogative.  For me, though, and many others, “bust” cannot he used on players undone by injuries.  I consider it indisputable that Hooker’s issues aren’t purely due to injuries.  I have no doubt in my mind that, had he not been injured so many times, he would have lived up to the near universal billing of his talent level. 

A "bust" and an "injury bust" are two different things for players. They are not mutually exclusive. Lots of players who are "injury busts" weren't bad players, they were just undone by injuries that destroyed their careers. That is different than a "bust" who is out of the league because of a lack of talent. Again, they are not mutually exclusive and both widely accepted terms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

A "bust" and an "injury bust" are two different things for players. They are not mutually exclusive. Lots of players who are "injury busts" weren't bad players, they were just undone by injuries that destroyed their careers. That is different than a "bust" who is out of the league because of a lack of talent. Again, they are not mutually exclusive and both widely accepted terms.

Fair point. For me, though, when I hear a player being called a bust, I equate it to the name caller implying he’s a crap player, talent-wise.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Trying to recall, wasn’t one of the reasons he dropped in the first round to the Colts because he was nursing an injury? 

I cannot say for sure, but I have no recollection of his unexpected drop to us on draft day being because of a sudden injury concern.  I do recall pundit consensus being that the Colts got s steal in having Hooker fall to them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w87r said:

The amount of injuries league wide is very troubling. 

Big names dropping.

 

3 potential season injuries for the Colts already is very worrisome. Not small names either, prominent role players. Not even to mention Doyle and Burton.

 

Lack of live reps amd preparations have to be playing major role I would think.

Yes, as someone else said I think this happened the last time there was no pre-season either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Fair point. For me, though, when I hear a player being called a bust, I equate it to the name caller implying he’s a crap player, talent-wise.  


Sorry, I had know idea there were categories of a bust. That’s a new one to me and probably others.

 

Talent-wise, Hooker has not delivered where he was drafted. A rookie 3rd Rd pick (Blackmon) shined today in his placed.


Ballard did not pickup his 5th year option.  

 

There were rumors he was being shopped before the draft. 
 

For where he was drafted, I‘d call Hooker a bust.  
 

Sorry

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well... If we weren't re-signing him before, we definitely aren't now. The 2017 class in their final year are dropping like flies. Luckily we have Blackmon and Taylor.

Actually most dropped before final year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MPStack said:


Sorry, I had know idea there were categories of a bust. That’s a new one to me and probably others.

 

Talent-wise, Hooker has not delivered where he was drafted. A rookie 3rd Rd pick (Blackmon) shined today in his placed.


Ballard did not pickup his 5th year option.  

 

There were rumors he was being shopped before the draft. 
 

For where he was drafted, I‘d call Hooker a bust.  
 

Sorry

Not sure I'd call him a bust. More than anything, and injuries aside, I'd call him a bad fit for our scheme.

 

He was a single high C1 lurker in college. Going two high C2, or three high Tampa 2 turned him to a half field or third field hand off manager.

 

If you look at it that way, we kind of wasted a 1st round talent trying to fit him into a C2/T2 zone D. That assumes he would have been a good C1 single high FS of course. He was definitely good at OSU in that role though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to see anyone get injured and unfortunately that's part of the NFL.  M.Hooker, is a class act, never heard anything negative about him off the field. I know he's not going to get resigned by the Colts by end of the season, so good luck to Hooker on his NFL career.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

I hate to see anyone get injured and unfortunately that's part of the NFL.  M.Hooker, is a class act, never heard anything negative about him off the field. I know he's not going to get resigned by the Colts by end of the season, so good luck to Hooker on his NFL career.

If he doesn't come back, hope he goes to a team that plays a decent amount of C1. I'd love to see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I like brissett and i really like the short yardage packages with him.  They seem to be working.
    • Rock has had some bad games but he has had some good games too.    Anyone know if Jonathon Gannon is a good defensive backs coach?   Maybe Rock isn't very coachable?   I don't know but I hope he improves.
    • Yes.   Totally different treatment for the Ravens than for other teams (Broncos).   Pittsburgh should be throwing a fit.  They are getting screwed because the NFL is favoring the Ravens just like they did the Titans.  
    • I would say that RYS has shown a little step back but teams have not thrown at Rhodes as much as they have Ya-Sin.  Teams will pick on him making it look worse than it is.  That being said, he is an all-state champion wrestler and not a long tenured football player.  He will take time at the position because he is used to grabbing and tying up (wrestling background) versus anything else.  Ballard drafted the athlete with promise but that is not going to be a two year deal.  He will be another year or two in my eyes, if he ever fully develops.  I still love his potential.
    • Right, I agree but they also got caught the week before with their Strength coach violating protocols.  A + B = C to me.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2020/11/25/ravens-discipline-coach-for-conduct-covid-19-cases/115050108/
  • Members

    • DiogoSales

      DiogoSales 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 5,820

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 4,662

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 2,098

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • hoosierhawk

      hoosierhawk 830

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • nzh201vs

      nzh201vs 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Ramble

      Ramble 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • LJpalmbeacher2

      LJpalmbeacher2 1,922

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 2,898

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 10,634

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...