Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Rapoport] Malik Hooker is feared to have torn Achilles. MRI tomorrow.

Well. Next man up. Odum will do just fine plus you have Blackmon waiting in the wings! 

Unfortunately fo Hooker I doubt he'll be healthy prior to the end of training camps next year so he will not be getting a good second contract. Too bad for him.

9 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t call guys undone by injuries busts. To me a bust is a player that shows that from a skill standpoint he doesn’t measure up.  I think Hooker measures up skill-wise, but he has been undone by injuries.  It’s a shame because he could’ve been really good.  :(

Well said!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I don’t call guys undone by injuries busts. To me a bust is a player that shows that from a skill standpoint he doesn’t measure up.  I think Hooker measures up skill-wise, but he has been undone by injuries.  It’s a shame because he could’ve been really good.  :(

Great Day GIF by memecandy

21 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I agree, but 

Do you consider Greg Oden a bust?

He never really got to show the skill set because of injuries.

But he was drafted in front of Durant, compounding the bust label.

• Like 1

I’m kinda worried going forward. No preseason has guys dropping like flies, or at least it has to be part of it.

Hopefully guy’s bodies adjust or whatever. I know Hooker, Mack, and Parris have dealt with injuries but for all of them to go down like that? Yeah.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, but 

There is a big difference in a top 15 pick and undrafted free agent.  Undrafted free agents can’t really be busts.  

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m kinda worried going forward. No preseason has guys dropping like flies, or at least it has to be part of it.

Hopefully guy’s bodies adjust or whatever. I know Hooker, Mack, and Parris have dealt with injuries for all of them to go down like that? Yeah.

The amount of injuries league wide is very troubling. 

Big names dropping.

3 potential season injuries for the Colts already is very worrisome. Not small names either, prominent role players. Not even to mention Doyle and Burton.

Lack of live reps amd preparations have to be playing major role I would think.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is a big difference in a top 15 pick and undrafted free agent.  Undrafted free agents can’t really be busts.  

Well of course...

Not sure what that is referring to though?

Rocky said he doesn't consider players bust who get injured, he considers them bust if their talent don't stack up to high expectations.

He was referring to Hooker(top 15 pick)

I listed counter Oden(#1 pick, albeit basketball) to get his thoughts in that situation.

There is no expectations from undrafted guys or any mention about them.?

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, but 

Even though Oden is labeled a bust he definitely is not. That's a media creation fans have bought into...

A bust is a guy like Flowers the LT drafted by NYG who looks like he doesn't belong on this level.

51 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

If you draft a Safety in the middle of the 1st Rd, I’d expect that Safety to be a top 5 safety.

Hooker is not or was not a top 10 Safety.

Translation, he’s a bust IMO.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well of course...

Not sure what that is referring to though?

Rocky said he doesn't consider players bust who get injured, he considers them bust if their talent don't stack up to high expectations.

He was referring to Hooker(top 15 pick)

I listed counter Oden(#1 pick, albeit basketball) to get his thoughts in that situation.

There is no expectations from undrafted guys or any mention about them.?

I missed read I thought you said Odum.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If you draft a Safety in the middle of the 1st Rd, I’d expect that Safety to be a top 5 safety.

Hooker is not or was not a top 10 Safety.

Translation, he’s a bust IMO.

You ignore the point of my post, that being that he was undone by injuries.  As a rookie he was balling, but then suffered that devastating injury.   His 2nd year was a year of just trying to get back to peak health.   His 3rd year, yes a little bit of a disappointment, though he kept getting nicked up, so again, his progress was set back by little nagging injuries.  This year, finished by injury. 

If your definition of “busy” includes for injuries, then go ahead a stand by your assertion, for that’s your prerogative.  For me, though, and many others, “bust” cannot he used on players undone by injuries.  I consider it indisputable that Hooker’s issues aren’t purely due to injuries.  I have no doubt in my mind that, had he not been injured so many times, he would have lived up to the near universal billing of his talent level. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

You ignore the point of my post, that being that he was undone by injuries.  As a rookie he was balling, but then suffered that devastating injury.   His 2nd year was a year of just trying to get back to peak health.   His 3rd year, yes a little bit of a disappointment, though he kept getting nicked up, so again, his progress was set back by little nagging injuries.  This year, finished by injury. 

If your definition of “busy” includes for injuries, then go ahead a stand by your assertion, for that’s your prerogative.  For me, though, and many others, “bust” cannot he used on players undone by injuries.  I consider it indisputable that Hooker’s issues aren’t purely due to injuries.  I have no doubt in my mind that, had he not been injured so many times, he would have lived up to the near universal billing of his talent level. 

Trying to recall, wasn’t one of the reasons he dropped in the first round to the Colts because he was nursing an injury? 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Big names dropping.

3 potential season injuries for the Colts already is very worrisome. Not small names either, prominent role players. Not even to mention Doyle and Burton.

I think the same happened the last time there was no preseason. 

13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

A "bust" and an "injury bust" are two different things for players. They are not mutually exclusive. Lots of players who are "injury busts" weren't bad players, they were just undone by injuries that destroyed their careers. That is different than a "bust" who is out of the league because of a lack of talent. Again, they are not mutually exclusive and both widely accepted terms.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

A "bust" and an "injury bust" are two different things for players. They are not mutually exclusive. Lots of players who are "injury busts" weren't bad players, they were just undone by injuries that destroyed their careers. That is different than a "bust" who is out of the league because of a lack of talent. Again, they are not mutually exclusive and both widely accepted terms.

Fair point. For me, though, when I hear a player being called a bust, I equate it to the name caller implying he’s a crap player, talent-wise.  

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Trying to recall, wasn’t one of the reasons he dropped in the first round to the Colts because he was nursing an injury? 

I cannot say for sure, but I have no recollection of his unexpected drop to us on draft day being because of a sudden injury concern.  I do recall pundit consensus being that the Colts got s steal in having Hooker fall to them.  

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Big names dropping.

Yes, as someone else said I think this happened the last time there was no pre-season either.  

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Fair point. For me, though, when I hear a player being called a bust, I equate it to the name caller implying he’s a crap player, talent-wise.  

Sorry, I had know idea there were categories of a bust. That’s a new one to me and probably others.

Talent-wise, Hooker has not delivered where he was drafted. A rookie 3rd Rd pick (Blackmon) shined today in his placed.

Ballard did not pickup his 5th year option.  

There were rumors he was being shopped before the draft. 

For where he was drafted, I‘d call Hooker a bust.  

Sorry

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well... If we weren't re-signing him before, we definitely aren't now. The 2017 class in their final year are dropping like flies. Luckily we have Blackmon and Taylor.

Actually most dropped before final year.

50 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Sorry, I had know idea there were categories of a bust. That’s a new one to me and probably others.

Talent-wise, Hooker has not delivered where he was drafted. A rookie 3rd Rd pick (Blackmon) shined today in his placed.

Ballard did not pickup his 5th year option.  

There were rumors he was being shopped before the draft. 

For where he was drafted, I‘d call Hooker a bust.  

Sorry

Not sure I'd call him a bust. More than anything, and injuries aside, I'd call him a bad fit for our scheme.

He was a single high C1 lurker in college. Going two high C2, or three high Tampa 2 turned him to a half field or third field hand off manager.

If you look at it that way, we kind of wasted a 1st round talent trying to fit him into a C2/T2 zone D. That assumes he would have been a good C1 single high FS of course. He was definitely good at OSU in that role though.

• Like 1

I hate to see anyone get injured and unfortunately that's part of the NFL.  M.Hooker, is a class act, never heard anything negative about him off the field. I know he's not going to get resigned by the Colts by end of the season, so good luck to Hooker on his NFL career.

1 minute ago, Thunderbolt said:

I hate to see anyone get injured and unfortunately that's part of the NFL.  M.Hooker, is a class act, never heard anything negative about him off the field. I know he's not going to get resigned by the Colts by end of the season, so good luck to Hooker on his NFL career.

If he doesn't come back, hope he goes to a team that plays a decent amount of C1. I'd love to see what happens.