Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

Look i'm just as happy as everyone of you that we won the game. However i'm very confused at our passing attack or Lack of it. Taylor had a beast game that i understand but how come the only time you see a deep play route its only made for TY i mean i like him, hes one of my favorite receivers, but there is also Pittman, pascal, and even Hines that could go deep for you on a couple of big plays. Also were is the play action fake? Peyton Manning was so good at it even tho he was a pocket passer but i hardly see rivers do it.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The injury to PC changed things a lot 

This team has been abysmal at adjusting game plans to in game injuries, both our guys and the opponents, for way too damn long now.  One, maybe two guys go down, and we're one hundred percent in wing it mode....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

This team has been abysmal at adjusting game plans to in game injuries, both our guys and the opponents, for way too damn long now.  One, maybe two guys go down, and we're one hundred percent in wing it mode....

jimmy fallon ugh GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Look i'm just as happy as everyone of you that we won the game. However i'm very confused at our passing attack or Lack of it. Taylor had a beast game that i understand but how come the only time you see a deep play route its only made for TY i mean i like him, hes one of my favorite receivers, but there is also Pittman, pascal, and even Hines that could go deep for you on a couple of big plays. Also were is the play action fake? Peyton Manning was so good at it even tho he was a pocket passer but i hardly see rivers do it.. 

simple, Reich/Rivers are different people than Tom Moore and Peyton Manning 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Look i'm just as happy as everyone of you that we won the game. However i'm very confused at our passing attack or Lack of it. Taylor had a beast game that i understand but how come the only time you see a deep play route its only made for TY i mean i like him, hes one of my favorite receivers, but there is also Pittman, pascal, and even Hines that could go deep for you on a couple of big plays. Also were is the play action fake? Peyton Manning was so good at it even tho he was a pocket passer but i hardly see rivers do it.. 

Maybe because there was no preseason or really off season. It will get better as the season goes on. The sad thing about Campbell is he is someone that scared a defense which helped TY. Now with no Paris for however long that hurts.  I think Pittman will get there. He looked great today.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Look i'm just as happy as everyone of you that we won the game. However i'm very confused at our passing attack or Lack of it. Taylor had a beast game that i understand but how come the only time you see a deep play route its only made for TY i mean i like him, hes one of my favorite receivers, but there is also Pittman, pascal, and even Hines that could go deep for you on a couple of big plays. Also were is the play action fake? Peyton Manning was so good at it even tho he was a pocket passer but i hardly see rivers do it.. 

The game plan this week was much better than last week, but play calling was still lacking. We're still predictable, but honestly I don't want to show much (unless we have to) until we get to Chicago in two weeks.

 

At least we didn't run Hines between the tackles lol. I was fearing that with Mack now gone. I was pretty curious as to why Hines wasn't targeted more in the passing game. 

 

I'm not too unhappy with the pass/run balance, but not happy either. 25/40 is a bit unbalanced, but we won. It was better than the converse 46/22 last week when we passed way too much and lost. The league average I think is about 60% (highest 67, lowest 46) passing. We were about 40% passing this week and 67% last week. That's a crazy swing.

 

As far as deep shots, I think we're only going to see 2-4 per game (unless we down late). Just enough to keep Ds from biting up to much. Don't expect Pittman or Pascal to be a deep target though, unless we're running a pure go route with 4 or 5 guys all trying to blow the top of the D. Pittman would be OK on a deep 50/50, but Reich prefers to at least try and get the WR behind the DB. It's more likely TY and PC. Maybe Hines, but then you remove PR's safety valve (unless you line him up at slot with another RB in the backfield, or go 2 back set). Dulin and Fountain are both capable deep guys. Patmon probably a better deep option than Pittman because he's faster.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe the whining here. The Colts kicked some butt today. Looked good on both sides of the ball. They’ve lost two key offensive players in Mack and Campbell. And they didn’t miss a beat today. How about a little acknowledgement on how they overcame, adapted, and took charge? 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I can’t believe the whining here. The Colts kicked some butt today. Looked good on both sides of the ball. They’ve lost two key offensive players in Mack and Campbell. And they didn’t miss a beat today. How about a little acknowledgement on how they overcame, adapted, and took charge? 

You've got over 1 post here... You should know this by now :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I can’t believe the whining here. The Colts kicked some butt today. Looked good on both sides of the ball. They’ve lost two key offensive players in Mack and Campbell. And they didn’t miss a beat today. How about a little acknowledgement on how they overcame, adapted, and took charge? 

Some think it’s their job to focus on the negative.  All you can do is ignore them if that’s all they do.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

It's amazing how loud it is after a loss, then so few show up after a win... 

 

Pretty dominant win, at that. 

And even then some of them still want to be negative.  Kinda shows what some are really about.  The Colts weren’t perfect, no team is ever, but they were pretty darn good today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

This team has been abysmal at adjusting game plans to in game injuries, both our guys and the opponents, for way too damn long now.  One, maybe two guys go down, and we're one hundred percent in wing it mode....

Yeah,  I think this game proved the exact opposite. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

This team has been abysmal at adjusting game plans to in game injuries, both our guys and the opponents, for way too damn long now.  One, maybe two guys go down, and we're one hundred percent in wing it mode....

There was no reason to change.  What they were doing was working.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of y’all need to hear this, but Frank Reich has had 3 different Qb’s in all 3 years. 
 

Each one being different than the other. Considering he didn’t have an off-season this year either, I’d say the guy is doing a pretty good job 2 games in. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why quit running when it is working . We had em on the ropes and kept pounding to the body. I did keep looking for the play action on first down later in the game but I guess the knock out wasnt needed. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hoose said:

I can’t believe the whining here. The Colts kicked some butt today. Looked good on both sides of the ball. They’ve lost two key offensive players in Mack and Campbell. And they didn’t miss a beat today. How about a little acknowledgement on how they overcame, adapted, and took charge? 

We beat a pretty bad Vikings team who didn’t have Michael pierce or Danielle hunter of Anthony barr

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

This team has been abysmal at adjusting game plans to in game injuries, both our guys and the opponents, for way too damn long now.  One, maybe two guys go down, and we're one hundred percent in wing it mode....

I totally agree they do stupid things with adjusting.. all this speed no Play action even tho rivers excels off it and we have this boss run game lol like the coaching staff confuses themselves 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And even then some of them still want to be negative.  Kinda shows what some are really about.  The Colts weren’t perfect, no team is ever, but they were pretty darn good today.

At the end of the year. Add up those pretty darn good performances. maybe 3 or 4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The game plan this week was much better than last week, but play calling was still lacking. We're still predictable, but honestly I don't want to show much (unless we have to) until we get to Chicago in two weeks.

 

At least we didn't run Hines between the tackles lol. I was fearing that with Mack now gone. I was pretty curious as to why Hines wasn't targeted more in the passing game. 

 

I'm not too unhappy with the pass/run balance, but not happy either. 25/40 is a bit unbalanced, but we won. It was better than the converse 46/22 last week when we passed way too much and lost. The league average I think is about 60% (highest 67, lowest 46) passing. We were about 40% passing this week and 67% last week. That's a crazy swing.

 

As far as deep shots, I think we're only going to see 2-4 per game (unless we down late). Just enough to keep Ds from biting up to much. Don't expect Pittman or Pascal to be a deep target though, unless we're running a pure go route with 4 or 5 guys all trying to blow the top of the D. Pittman would be OK on a deep 50/50, but Reich prefers to at least try and get the WR behind the DB. It's more likely TY and PC. Maybe Hines, but then you remove PR's safety valve (unless you line him up at slot with another RB in the backfield, or go 2 back set). Dulin and Fountain are both capable deep guys. Patmon probably a better deep option than Pittman because he's faster.

 

I am also glad we didn't run Hines between the tackles too much.  I, too, was surprised he wasn't used in the passing game more... but the O became very predictable when he was in the game week 1 (IMO).  What I like about the first 2 weeks is they make it more difficult to plan against us -- even though we may have seemed a bit predictable each week.  We threw for ~350 week 1 and then ran for ~150 week 2.  I'd like to see a bit more balance and in-game adjustments moving forward, but  I wouldn't necessarily want to be a D-coordinator planning for this team as we've clearly shown we can be effective in multiple ways.  I thought Rivers made good decisions all day yesterday (the INT wasn't really his fault and it was the right read), whereas I thought both his INTs week 1 were avoidable mistakes where he shouldn't have thrown the ball.

 

I agree, I'd like the O to slowly evolve throughout the season and don't really mind if our gameplan changes quite a bit from week to week.  Yesterday, they moved the ball effectively and made few mistakes in any phase of the game.  Reich said after game 1 that he was a bit disappointed in himself for basically abandoning the run after Mack went down.  I think yesterday showed we can still be a solid run offense with Taylor/Wilkins/Hines.  

 

17 hours ago, B~Town said:

Why quit running when it is working . We had em on the ropes and kept pounding to the body. I did keep looking for the play action on first down later in the game but I guess the knock out wasnt needed. 

 

Afterall, the motto of our team since last year has been 'run the d*mn ball.'  We almost doubled their time of possession, we won the turnover battle and we dominated them in pretty much every phase of the game.  I am not complaining at all.  

 

We should have had one deep ball (TY dropped it), but I think you're correct, we didn't need a knockout punch yesterday.  After we took the lead, the Vikings really showed no threat to be able to win that game.  I tend to like what Reich and Sirianni did yesterday, we didn't really show much on offense in terms of little wrinkles or deep plays (though Rivers on that throw to TY showed he can still fling it).  I'm sure there will be times during the season where we will need to open the playbook a bit more than we did yesterday (or week 1 for that matter), but we were so effective yesterday I didn't think we need to show any other team anything more than we did.  Afterall, this is a weird season -- nobody has preseason tape on anybody else and aside from being able to go back to previous years' tape or week-to-week tape, teams don't have much to go by to plan for upcoming opponents, especially if coaching or players changed.... we have a brand new QB, two promising rookies (jury is out on Patmon) on O, we're utilizing Mo Alie Cox more, etc... so sure, teams can go back to previous offenses run by Reich/Sirianni, but they have quite a bit of new pieces on this offense that other teams don't have much to go by yet... so I'm fine with just showing other teams that we're capable of pounding it down their throat with Taylor/Wilkins or throwing for ~350 yards for now... as we get into more difficult games and later in the season (hopefully the playoffs eventually), it'd be nice to still be able to use some new tricks.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Superman said:

It's amazing how loud it is after a loss, then so few show up after a win... 

 

Pretty dominant win, at that. 

It's true in my corner as well. We love dirty laundry. But it's relatively quiet here today despite losing to the Seahawks last night. Not knowing what kind of team we would have this year, I guess it showed that they will compete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

It's true in my corner as well. We love dirty laundry. But it's relatively quiet here today despite losing to the Seahawks last night. Not knowing what kind of team we would have this year, I guess it showed that they will compete.

Belichick will always put a competitive team on the field. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I am also glad we didn't run Hines between the tackles too much.  I, too, was surprised he wasn't used in the passing game more... but the O became very predictable when he was in the game week 1 (IMO).  What I like about the first 2 weeks is they make it more difficult to plan against us -- even though we may have seemed a bit predictable each week.  We threw for ~350 week 1 and then ran for ~150 week 2.  I'd like to see a bit more balance and in-game adjustments moving forward, but  I wouldn't necessarily want to be a D-coordinator planning for this team as we've clearly shown we can be effective in multiple ways.  I thought Rivers made good decisions all day yesterday (the INT wasn't really his fault and it was the right read), whereas I thought both his INTs week 1 were avoidable mistakes where he shouldn't have thrown the ball.

Yup. Thing is though, we don't have to be predictable when he comes in. I really don't mind him running between the Ts occasionally to keep Ds honest, just don't do it in critical short situations. 

 

I'm great with being unpredictable, but not sure I like the crazy swings in imbalance the last two weeks. You can be balanced and unpredictable. Balance in general, is unpredictable. I do like though being able to win, if necessary, without balance. And I don't mind imbalance created by running a lot more when you're up big. Give me anywhere +/- five percent off the league norm in general an I'm happy. +/- ten percent occasionally is fine.

 

But yes, the D coordinator of the Jets is probably wondering what we'll do, At the same time, he knows where his D stinks, and where we'll likely attack. What is weird so far this year, is that their run D has been bad. Last year they were top 5 IIRC. Regardless though, we should be either to succeed pass or run vs the Jets with our OL. 

 

Quote

 

I agree, I'd like the O to slowly evolve throughout the season and don't really mind if our gameplan changes quite a bit from week to week.  Yesterday, they moved the ball effectively and made few mistakes in any phase of the game.  Reich said after game 1 that he was a bit disappointed in himself for basically abandoning the run after Mack went down.  I think yesterday showed we can still be a solid run offense with Taylor/Wilkins/Hines.  

I just don't want him to abandon either side of the O

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • ^This^   Another way to look at it is this:  considering the production that Ballard is getting out of his draft picks while they're still on their rookie contracts... why over-spend on re-signing anybody?   If Ballard can continue hitting on draft picks the way he has, then it's almost better to just keep accumulating draft picks, draft well, and let the young guys go out and make plays.   Let other teams over-spend on proven talent while Indy keeps providing an opportunity for young hungry players to prove their talent.   Save the money for slam-dunk moves like Buckner.
    • I bet you are 1000% wrong.   Nelson is the biggest name in the league at G, and it's not even close.  A "bad" Nelson (that gets called for ticky-tack holds that happen on every single NFL play) is still better than 90% of the guards in the NFL.   Your hot-take posts are getting very tiresome.  
    • They have contributed as much their rookie year as the entire group maybe by end of the season, but I doubt there's even a tiny chance of 2 all pros. Even 1 is a major stretch.  I am not sure we have any all pro's on the team since the most deserving one is Buckner (who I count as our first round pick in every way) has impact but no stats to wow anyone not intimately aware of his impact. If he misses this game we may painfully see how valuable.  But their collective impact has certainly added up. 4 starters and 2 solid special teamers in a so far playoff level team is quite a haul for any draft pick class in history.  It is at least adjacent to 2018, unless you don't count Buckner in any way.
    • Nothing against you and I like you as a poster but counting Ballard's 2017 season is a stretch. I realize he was the GM that year (1st year) but he didn't have the Coach he wanted and Luck was out for the year. We went 4-12 that year so his record is a bit skewed because of that. Others have posted the same thing about Ballard's record so you are not the only one and I just don't see how anyone can count that season legitimately. I pretty much go by 2018-this year when he hired Frank and his record would be 25-19 counting the playoffs. Is he the best GM in the league, probably not but he is good. He is responsible for drafting Nelson, Leonard, Mack, signing Houston, signing Rivers and trading for Buckner = great work there. Luck just retiring on the team and McDaniels dissing him even made his job that much harder. 
    • I am late to the party but it doesn't matter because I would've been 1-1 anyway. I had the Lions and Washington so it offsets     Here are my Sunday picks/Monday pick: Ravens 17 Steelers 24 Chargers 19 Bills 27 Titans 27 Colts 30 Panthers 20 Vikings 21 Browns 27 Jags 17 Giants 24 Bengals 10 Cards 27 Pats 23 Dolphins 99 Jets 0 (Fluke's original quote) Saints 24 Broncos 13 49ers 17 Rams 30 Chiefs 34 Bucs 24 Bears 17 Packers 27 Seahawks 31 Eagles 17
  • Members

    • DynaMike

      DynaMike 33

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • zibby43

      zibby43 1,563

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • braveheartcolt

      braveheartcolt 6,300

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 586

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 7,501

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...