Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

krunk

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The other thing of note, his knee was hit straight on by pads - which hurts a heckuva lot in it's own right. Could just be a deep bone bruise and a sprain?

I think the quote by Fountain pretty much says the Colts think the worst.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

There's something called the Lachman test that is used to test the integrity of the ACL/stability of the knee.

Usually, if it's a bad tear, this physical examination can indicate an ACL even before the MRI.  I guarantee the Colts' medical staff have conducted this test.  If we don't hear anything today, it may be something else.

If it's an MCL, that likely won't require surgery.  An ACL will.

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Campbell hasn't been diagnosed with a torn ACL as of this time, then it's likely a lesser injury. That's the positive. Of course, I'm just going by patterns and this isn't always 100% true. The likely scenario is he has anywhere from a sprain to a torn MCL. Hopefully he can play soon and heal up. I have a good feeling this time though, and I had a bad feeling about Mack (for what that's worth).

They won't say anything until they have the MRI results 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

They won't say anything until they have the MRI results 

As per above, he did not tear the ACL.

Likely confirmed via Lachman.

Given his knee was not in a locked out position, and the hit was to the medial portion of the knee, I'm guessing there's likely a MCL/meniscus injury.

MCL sprain would be best case.  MCL tear would be the worst case.  Neither would require surgery.  Torn meniscus would likely require arthroscopic surgery. 

9 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Given his knee was not in a locked out position, and the hit was to the medial portion of the knee, I'm guessing there's likely a MCL/meniscus injury.

MCL sprain would be best case.  MCL tear would be the worst case.  Neither would require surgery.  Torn meniscus would likely require arthroscopic surgery. 

Could also be a bad bruise. Didn't see a sprain or twist but more of a blunt blow.

58 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

No matter what he has, odds are he’s gonna be out at least a month

4 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hope it's just a sprain, we need the man.

We'll see how bad the sprain/tear is fairly soon.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The other thing of note, his knee was hit straight on by pads - which hurts a heckuva lot in it's own right. Could just be a deep bone bruise and a sprain?

Remotely, but I think they will find more.

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

If a player collides with another player when trying to make a tackle, and the side of the runners knee is hit hard, his MCL may be injured. The MCL (medial collateral ligament) is a band of tissue that runs along the inner edge of the knee. It helps to connect the shin bone and thigh bone and to keep the knee stable and working properly when they move.

If a players MCL is damaged, their knee can over-extend itself, and/or bend too far in a direction that it was not supposed to bend. This injury may heal on its own with basic care, rest, and rehab. But if the strain/tear injury is severe enough, it may require surgery. He may have also suffered a contusion (bone bruise).

Depends... on grade severityofv the tear... as I stated above.

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Could also be a bad bruise. Didn't see a sprain or twist but more of a blunt blow.

Possibly that, but I believe that's not all. We'll know more soon.  But I had a feeling it wasn't ACL during the game, and was hoping for only a milder MCL from that blunt blow at worst.  Time (and imaging) will tell.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s a PCL injury. No time table. Anyone know how long of a recovery that is.

It truly depends on his body and if the injury is a partial tear. If it’s torn he’ll be out for the season. No tear then we won’t see him until after the bye week. 

Depending on the severity this might be worse than ACL injury:

https://www.stack.com/a/meet-the-pcl-the-lesser-known-knee-ligament-thats-keeping-nfl-players-on-the-sidelines

Unlike with ACLs, it's not common to have a PCL surgically reconstructed, because it's a tough ligament to repair with current surgical methods. "We've had a lot of trouble restoring the PCL," Monto says. "When we do reconstructions, patients are just not as satisfied compared to ACLs."

This is due to a few factors. First, the repair is typically done through the backside of the knee, which is much more difficult to work through than the front of the knee—where the ACL is accessed. Second, reconstructions are done with a graft from a cadaver, which do not work as well as a graft from your own body. The PCL is simply too long to use a graft from your own body.

Fortunately, you don't need a PCL.

"You don't see terrible long-term side effects with PCL injuries, so the urgency to fix it isn't quite the same as ACLs," explains Monto. "A lot of people live without the PCL or with it damaged."

In general, athletes do well when coming back from a PCL injury. Monto says that about two percent of NFL prospects test positive for PCL injuries at the NFL Combine without it having been an issue. And many players are playing at an extremely high level without a PCL. For example, there are reports that Calvin Johnson had a partial PCL tear in 2013.

"It's not as critical to cutting in sports as the ACL," Monto adds.

Instead of surgery, a non-invasive rehab protocol is usually prescribed. Here, Monto outlines the most up-to-date PCL rehab steps:

-Initially a knee brace is worn to prevent the knee from bending more than 50 to 60 degrees, which reduces stress on the PCL. You'd also use crutches.

-Developing quad strength is an immediate focus with exercises such as Leg Extensions. The quads help to pull the lower leg forward, making them critical for an athlete with a PCL injury. Hamstring exercises are avoided because they pull the lower leg backward.

-Two to three weeks after the injury, you're allowed to walk without crutches, ride an exercise bike and continue developing your quads. Range of motion is still limited.

-By weeks eight to 10, running is incorporated along with more advanced quad development exercises like Step-Ups. When training, avoid deep Squats and other extreme knee bends.

-It's possible to return to play after two to three months, which is significantly faster than the year it typically takes to come back from an ACL injury.

-Once the return to play, athletes wear a carbon fiber knee brace with straps that prevent the tibia from falling backward.

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

IDK but when they say "indefinitely" that doesn't sound good. 

Unless it's a very mild tear, from what I'm reading it will be somewhere between 2-3 months(if rehabbed without surgery) and 9-12 months if it's really bad and needs a surgery. 

IMO we will know pretty quickly which one it is depending whether they put him on IR with return or without potential return by the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Unless it's a very mild tear, from what I'm reading it will be somewhere between 2-3 months(if rehabbed without surgery) and 9-12 months if it's really bad and needs a surgery. 

IMO we will know pretty quickly which one it is depending whether they put him on IR with return or without potential return by the end of the season. 

My understanding is that IR is just IR and there are no tags on if you can return or not.  

15 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I recall being surprised that the Colts took Campbell instead of DK Metcalf.  Given injuries to Campbell, retrospectively ...

I didn't like DK. Still not a huge fan, but he's been more productive than I expected. Parris keeps getting hurt, which sucks, but I still value what he could bring to our offense. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I'm really bad with all those injury lists, PUPs and various other. Which one was the list where you put the player and he can return? 

That was the IR designated to return list, but they got rid of it a couple years ago. Now you don't have to designate a player for him to return. 

It's all moot this season; any player can return after three weeks, and I don't think there's any limitation on how many players you can return, or for what reason. So I figure Parris goes on IR now, but that won't tell us anything about his timetable. If he has surgery, that will likely indicate his season is over.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't like DK. Still not a huge fan, but he's been more productive than I expected. Parris keeps getting hurt, which sucks, but I still value what he could bring to our offense. 

I was a huge fan of his but I'm also an Ole Miss grad.  

Archived