Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikes game - Good, Bad, and the Ugly

EastStreet

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Personally i got tired of all the field goals. We need to do better in the Redzone. We should have put up 40 on Minny.

I get what you are saying, but this is how we generally need to play - much more controlled.   It was basically an upscale version of how we played with Brissett.  If TY brings the long shot in and they convert another time in the red zone, the comfortable win becomes a blowout.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

I get what you are saying, but this is how we generally need to play - much more controlled.   It was basically an upscale version of how we played with Brissett.  If TY brings the long shot in and they convert another time in the red zone, the comfortable win becomes a blowout.

I agree 100%, but I'm happy to complain about FGs any day, over complaining about missing FGs, or losing lol

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Overall true, but again we still need better execution in the red area. Big part of why Jax got to hang around and eventually beat us. I thought we were trending that way again but we got things together. I will take the 3s but as we go we need to convert more of our opportunities into 7s.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Overall true, but again we still need better execution in the red area. Big part of why Jax got to hang around and eventually beat us. I thought we were trending that way again but we got things together. I will take the 3s but as we go we need to convert more of our opportunities into 7s.

Agreed, but if we continue on this upward trend, then more of those FG will become TDs.  I have more hope of that happening this year than I did last year.

Best thing I saw today was the long bomb that TY dropped.

I didn't think Rivers had that left in his tool kit. It's good to see that he does.

Dropped or not, putting that on tape for opposing DCs to view will give them something 

to think about when game planning coverage packages.

49 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Also, our O-Line only gave up 2 QB hits today. That's fantastic protection.

@NFLfan and I were just chatting in another thread about MNs OL and DL. He said their DL is a total mess, so not shocking our OL looked like all stars this week. GB won the OL of the week award from PFF last week after playing MN. I actually thought their OL was worse than their DL, but maybe I'm wrong.

A lot of good things about today. The defense redeemed themselves and hopefully got their confidence back. 

I will say, the Jags gave the Titans fits all day today. So perhaps maybe just maybe they’re not as bad as we thought... 

Our young players really showed their mettle today. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

@NFLfan and I were just chatting in another thread about MNs OL and DL. He said their DL is a total mess, so not shocking our OL looked like all stars this week. GB won the OL of the week award from PFF last week after playing MN. I actually thought their OL was worse than their DL, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I didn’t realize the Vikings had lost so many key defensive pieces over the offseason. It really showed today.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Both their OL and DL should make us all really appreciate what we have.

Definitely. Also, should remind us that just as last week didn't mean the sky was falling...this week doesn't mean everything's fixed and we'll own the NFL. We've seen painfully inept at times and impressively ept at others (I know ept isn't a word, couldn't help myself).

We need to wait another couple games to see which end of the spectrum the Colts are going to trend towards this season.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

Other Uglies:

Way to many penalties

The way some fans put down Hooker. Not saying he is elite but he doesn't suck as some suggest.

The expectations were very high on him. I don’t think they mean anything specifically against him as a person. It’s more of the fact of where he was picked up draftwise that has upset fans. 

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The expectations were very high on him. I don’t think they mean anything specifically against him as a person. It’s more of the fact of where he was picked up draftwise that has upset fans. 

It sucks because how great did he come out of the gate? He had some nice picks I remember.

I still think that was a shady block by the Jax WR (was it Jax?) that killed his rookie year.

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

I didn't think Rivers had that left in his tool kit. It's good to see that he does.

Dropped or not, putting that on tape for opposing DCs to view will give them something 

That bomb was thrown perfectly. 

Colts fans should know that Rivers still has it.

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

I promise you all the DCs on our schedule already knew that Rivers can still make those throws.

They don't run with media-created hot takes, but instead they actually watch and analyze game tape.  Rivers made plenty of accurate deep throws last season...his physical ability wasn't the problem.

What a great turnaround from week 1, was a damn delight to watch. It's like there was a completely different Defense out there this time, stopped the pass and the run extremely well and on offense Taylor and Alie-Cox looking good, although there were a couple of times Taylor probably lacked a bit of vision. TY has had a bad start to the season for sure, hope he sorts it out.

2 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

Alie-Cox was outstanding today.

Made some great catches to keep some drives going. He's developing a real nice synergy with Rivers. Almost reminds me of a young Antonio Gates.

Keep Cox in the starting lineup even when Doyle returns

The guy is an absolute truck, hope we get to see plenty more of him going forward.

That was a solid all-around game. More of those, please!  

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Autry has also looked really good in two games.

I like Autry, and had high hopes for him at DE this season. He has looked really good rushing the passer. However he seems to sometimes have difficulty setting the edge against the rush. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe I've just been spoiled watching Sheard set that edge, but it seems like Autry is always going for the sack.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally i got tired of all the field goals. We need to do better in the Redzone. We should have put up 40 on Minny.

The redzone offense does need to improve.  Hopefully getting the tightends back and letting Taylor and Pittman get more used to the offense helps that.  The Colts offense has gone up the field at will for two straight weeks but is sputtering in the redzone.  It already played a roll in one loss this season, if the Colts don’t get better at it it won’t be the last either. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The redzone offense does need to improve.  Hopefully getting the tightends back and letting Taylor and Pittman get more used to the offense helps that.  The Colts offense has gone up the field at will for two straight weeks but is sputtering in the redzone.  It already played a roll in one loss this season, if the Colts don’t get better at it it won’t be the last either. 

There were parts of this Minny game where i started getting that here we go again feeling because we kept letting them hang around. We should have gotten those 7s and put them to bed early. One example is the Mo Ali Cox interception right at the goal line. We cant do stuff like that. Thats got to be 7!  I just feel like if a team is showing you they cant defend what youre doing then you take full advantage and stomp them out with authority. Dont give them any hope at all!

In the case of Jacksonville they showed us that they couldnt stop our offense but we kept farting around with mishaps in the red area settling for 3s, turning the ball over and missed a field goal. That allowed them time to sort their problems out and feel like they could get back in it. Neither of those teams in my opinion is better than Indy.

I've been wanting to see Mo-Allie Cox in a more prominent passing role for a LONG TIME and finally got my wish. That dude is a beast and I'm so happy for him. 

I love how he looks like he's running in slow motion but all the sudden he's 30 yards down the field. And, how he isn't afraid of contact either. 

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

200.gif

Good

Flus - So were the DBs playing closer to the LOS (man) this game. Were we stunting and blitzing a bit more? Am I crazy? More cowbell. 

Pass rush - Lewis, Houston, Buckner all got in on sacks. Add in a TFL from Leonard. More cowbell.

DB - Moore, Willis, and Carrie all get an INT. More man, please.

Blackmon - I know we really didn't see him alone in coverage, but nice little day for him in his first game. He's a thumper.

Wilkins - He seems to always run pretty good when given a chance. Hope to see him more to keep Taylor fresh.

Rhodes - looked much better than last week.

NT - Both Steward and Stallworth had some nice moments

Rodrigo - perfect for the day. Thank you.

Bad

TY - Not a great game. Need him to fix whatever is broke. Routes and effort looked bad last week. Something has to be going on.

Hines - Where'd he go? Glad not to see him running between the Ts, but did he get hurt or something?

Oke - looked a bit lost at times today. Got really abused vs the run on at least one occasion.

Ugly

TY - dropping a perfect deep pass in the end zone.

MAC - his chest bounce. He made up for it, but that was ugly.

Campbell - injured again. Hoping it's only a minor MCL strain like reported.

Hooker - If the achilleas rumors are true, really bad break for Maklik. Contract year, and needed to show out. 

Adams - not sure what the injury is. Both he and Franklin have been having a good start, so hope Adams is back soon. 

Good

Flus - Noticed this as well.  Tighter man across the board.  And not really sure about my first impressions simply because I was too busy just enjoying watching the game.  Be curious to see the all-22 crowd's thoughts.  My only real concern is that we suffer a sort of fallout / predictability once we've broken out the strategy.  Kinda like we did with KC last year changing the game plan up a bit, but it never seems to find it's footing after the one game.

Pass rush - not just the sacks.  We laid several hits on the QB as he was throwing (plus that one nonsense roughing the passer call on, I think, Autrey).  And inbetween the sacks and QB hits, a lot of pressure.  All day.  This was the defensive line performance we have been hoping for since Freeney and Mathis.  Hope it keeps coming up big.

DB - So much concerted DB effort, not just on the interceptions.  Again, like the DL, keep that coming for sure.  Our defense will get us in SB territory if it can stay healthy.

Wilkins - It's like the guy is a Georgia or Penn St. RB, tough to see playing time behind a stable of 1st/2nd round picks.  But he does what we ask of him and that's still impressive on its own.

Bad

TY - He is getting old and had an injury riddled year last year.  I just hope its' a sort of slump and not something more serious like he's mentally frazzled.  Dunno, but what I can say is true is that last year was unusual, this year is different (so far anyway).  

Hines - Has always been matchup specific, but I think this was (unfortunately for my fantasy team) a case of the team playing so dominating at the outset, we didn't need the gadget plays.  When all your haymakers hit, you don't always need the left hook changeup.  Save it until the heavy hits start missing.

Ugly

Cosigned on all of it.  Some bad breaks.  some mental errors (bright side, a lot less of them from last week), and apparently we need to steer clear of Ohio State players.  They apparently come here to get thrown into injury hell...

18 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Shout out to Luke Rhodes, snapping for the punt then hustling down to down it AT THE 2 YARD LINE.....

That was an excellent play by Luke Rhodes and an excellent punt by Sanchez.  As Reich said in post-game interview, we fired on all cylinders today (it would have been nice to have another TD or two instead of relying on FGs, but both our P and K looked good along with the vast majority of the rest of the team).

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've been wanting to see Mo-Allie Cox in a more prominent passing role for a LONG TIME and finally got my wish. That dude is a beast and I'm so happy for him. 

I love how he looks like he's running in slow motion but all the sudden he's 30 yards down the field. And, how he isn't afraid of contact either. 

MAC had that hand injury most of last year which is why he was mainly limited to being a blocker.  He seems to be exactly the type of TE Rivers likes and is used to.  I was glad to see Rivers keep his faith after the interception which bounced off MAC's chest. Also glad that Rivers' only INT was clearly not on him, he made good decisions and looked good most of the game.

I didn't think that Campbell injury looked that bad.  I hope it's not, as he showed flashes week 1 and it's obvious Rivers likes him.  

I didn't think TY looked very good last week and that drop he had yesterday was pretty bad.   Of all our 'stars' he is the only one who is really worrying me so far.  I hope there isn't an underlying issue there.

Was pretty shocked to see Blackmon play so well (honestly, I didn't think we'd see him in live action until at least October -  pretty remarkable that he's ~9 months out from that knee injury, missed basically all live drills in training camp and filled in for Hooker at that level).

I also thought Willis looked better than I have seen him play... I will have to rewatch a bit to figure out if that was due to the pass-rush, the improved play of his fellow defensive backs or if he really just played better on his own.  

While it's not too thrilling that Mack is done for the year, it was reassuring to see we're in good hands with Taylor/Wilkins/Hines.  I think Taylor will get even better as he gains more experience.... also, a shocking stat to me is that it was the first game since 2010 where we had both a 100 + yard runner and 100 + yard receiver (Taylor and Alie-Cox -- the first since Addai and Garcon did it Oct 17, 2010 against Washington).  

In all, I think our O definitely gave other defensive coordinators more to worry about -- 1) Rivers showed he still has arm strength and can throw a deep ball (hopefully TY or whoever is targeted doesn't continue dropping them), 2) Our run game looked solid, like others I'd like to see Taylor's ypc increase, but he showed enough flashes to put fear in other defenses and Wilkins looked very solid, 3) we used Mo Alie-Cox as more than a blocker, which has to be scary for other teams when they see he average 22+ yards per catch, 4) Our biggest weapon from week 1 (Hines) was barely utilized - I'm not sure that'll be the trend going forward and I trust Reich and Sirianni to come up with solid/diverse game plans, but yesterday I thought we saw more balance and versatility than we did week 1.  

On D, we were like a whole different team.  And, TBH, I think MInnesota has a better offense than Jax.  I do think Cousins misses Diggs, but I think the Vikings WR corps is as good or better than Jax, whereas Cousins is greater than Minshew.  We shut them down almost completely.  

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Good

Flus - Noticed this as well.  Tighter man across the board.  And not really sure about my first impressions simply because I was too busy just enjoying watching the game.  Be curious to see the all-22 crowd's thoughts.  My only real concern is that we suffer a sort of fallout / predictability once we've broken out the strategy.  Kinda like we did with KC last year changing the game plan up a bit, but it never seems to find it's footing after the one game.

I'm interested in the A22 stuff too. Didn't sign up for up, but again tempted.

I just want a good mix on D. I don't want all man, or all zone. Just enough to keep QBs, WRs, etc. off balance. Perfect example was what the Jax D did to Rivers on that first INT. Henderson had been sticking to his man on vertical routes, but that play he released/handed off, and came back to help double TY. Tricked Rivers into throwing it thinking single coverage, and ended up getting the INT. 

Both can be used effectively and the mix is what I love. If we go back to mostly zone, QBs will continue to pick us apart.

Pass rush - not just the sacks.  We laid several hits on the QB as he was throwing (plus that one nonsense roughing the passer call on, I think, Autrey).  And inbetween the sacks and QB hits, a lot of pressure.  All day.  This was the defensive line performance we have been hoping for since Freeney and Mathis.  Hope it keeps coming up big.

Yup, I'm really interested to see the advanced stats on D. I checked a bit earlier, and still not out. I expect the numbers to be up on pressures, KDs, QBHs, etc., but not by a whole bunch. We actually did pretty well vs Jax, just didn't translate to a W unfortunately. 

DB - So much concerted DB effort, not just on the interceptions.  Again, like the DL, keep that coming for sure.  Our defense will get us in SB territory if it can stay healthy.

I think the DBs and DLs really were symbiotic this week, which is what you want. DL pressures make it easier on the DBs, DB coverage gives the DL longer to get to the QB. I want to see a few games like this before I get too confident.

Wilkins - It's like the guy is a Georgia or Penn St. RB, tough to see playing time behind a stable of 1st/2nd round picks.  But he does what we ask of him and that's still impressive on its own.

I think the bag on him is simply dancing and not running "tough". He's improved in those areas IMO. Doubt he's ever a good short yardage back, but he's a good zone read RB, and you can't argue with his AVG. Now I also know that AVG is likely not near as high if he's running between the Ts in the first half with a fresh DL. Regardless, he's very very solid depth, and hope he sticks around. He's capable of some great stuff from a depth perspective.

Bad

TY - He is getting old and had an injury riddled year last year.  I just hope its' a sort of slump and not something more serious like he's mentally frazzled.  Dunno, but what I can say is true is that last year was unusual, this year is different (so far anyway).  

Some of his routes/effort vs Jax were really concerning to me. I'm not overly concerned with the drop, because at least the route and separation were there, as well as the chemistry with Rivers. Maybe it's just rust. IDK, but definitely something to keep an eye on. I was a lot more concerned with the Jax performance.

Hines - Has always been matchup specific, but I think this was (unfortunately for my fantasy team) a case of the team playing so dominating at the outset, we didn't need the gadget plays.  When all your haymakers hit, you don't always need the left hook changeup.  Save it until the heavy hits start missing.

But he's just not a gadget guy. As a satellite and check down guy, he's an fundamental weapon. I am glad he wasn't running between the Ts. We need less of that. 

Ugly

Cosigned on all of it.  Some bad breaks.  some mental errors (bright side, a lot less of them from last week), and apparently we need to steer clear of Ohio State players.  They apparently come here to get thrown into injury hell...

Even the ugly isn't quite as ugly when you win. I just hate the injury stuff.

Archived