Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Did Rivers just find his Antonio Gates today? LOL! Mo was on like popcorn today

He really surprised me, especially after the rough start with the INT off his hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive recovery from Mo after that interception early in the game.

 

I still would like to see him have better catch technique but he does have a lot of very good attributes that can make him into a very nice weapon for us. And the best part is - he's already shown that he can block, so if he put it all together as a receiver, he's looking like a nice versatile TE.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shive said:

He really surprised me, especially after the rough start with the INT off his hands.

 

And to be fair Harrison Smith made a heck of a play there and then terrible luck on the bounce.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, krunk said:

He has really good hands overall

It's weird because in certain situations he does - like whenever he extends his arms to catch away from his body(those are the harder ones), he looks like a natural catcher but a lot of times when the ball is in his frame, he lets it hit his chest... I don't know if this is him not trusting his ability as a catcher and trying to soften the throw into his embrace by using his body or is it just weird technique issue that can be worked on.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stitches said:

It's weird because in certain situations he does - like whenever he extends his arms to catch away from his body, he looks like a natural catcher but a lot of times when the ball is in his frame, he lets it hit his chest... I don't know if this is him not trusting his ability as a catcher and trying to soften the throw into his embrace by using his body or is it just weird technique issue that can be worked on.

I think it can be fixed

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call to make him a focal point of the gameplan. The Vikings didn’t seem to think we would look to him at all, but we did and it paid off. Always liked Mo, he’s never been a player you look at as a liability on the field. 
 

I’m also pretty sure his big catch today is longer than any of Doyle’s career.
 

Today is why I never really saw the need to bring in Burton. I think Mo is ready to be #2 and more involved weekly. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Good call to make him a focal point of the gameplan. The Vikings didn’t seem to think we would look to him at all, but we did and it paid off. Always liked Mo, he’s never been a player you look at as a liability on the field. 
 

I’m also pretty sure his big catch today is longer than any of Doyle’s career.
 

Today is why I never really saw the need to bring in Burton. I think Mo is ready to be #2 and more involved weekly. 

 

3 minutes ago, James said:

Can be a 1000+ yard a year TE.
 

What a beast.

 

Has all the tools. Caught 5 out of 6 for over 100 yards today.

Let’s hold off on that until he starts doing it after teams game plan for him.  Had a nice game today for sure but I doubt the Vikings thought he would be that big of a part of the Colts offense.  If he can do it week in and week out like I hope he can then the Colts have something.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's weird because in certain situations he does - like whenever he extends his arms to catch away from his body(those are the harder ones), he looks like a natural catcher but a lot of times when the ball is in his frame, he lets it hit his chest... I don't know if this is him not trusting his ability as a catcher and trying to soften the throw into his embrace by using his body or is it just weird technique issue that can be worked on.

New to the game

Link to post
Share on other sites

Id like for us to look him up more downfield. He can do the 50/50 balls pretty well because of the basketball background, those huge hands and the big body frame.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed to me that he may have been surprised how quickly the ball got to him on that interception?

He bounced back nicely afterwards.  Good call by PR to go back to him.  Going to a 2 TE set with he and Doyle can put some pressure on the secondary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha, the original post beat me to it. Yes, Cox had several plays today that looked a lot like 85 (sorry, Gates to the non former Bolts fans :D). And here's the thing. He did things that no other tight end on this team can do.

 

You don't take that out of your arsenal once you've found it.

 

It would be a MONUMENTAL coaching blunder to just revert him back to his former role after today. Even after Doyle and Burton return. As I said, neither of those guys can do several of the things he did today.

 

But I don't expect that to happen, though. Not after reading about how Philip specifically told Reich and Sirianni this week that Cox was ready, and not to hold back on calling anything for him. And Philip showed he wasn't lying, either, with the throws he made to him, and with Cox pulling them in. No, that's a connection that I can assure you is just getting started.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Ha ha, the original post beat me to it. Yes, Cox had several plays today that looked a lot like 85 (sorry, Gates to the non former Bolts fans :D). And here's the thing. He did things that no other tight end on this team can do.

 

You don't take that out of your arsenal once you've found it.

 

It would be a MONUMENTAL coaching blunder to just revert him back to his former role after today. Even after Doyle and Burton return. As I said, neither of those guys can do several of the things he did today.

 

But I don't expect that to happen, though. Not after reading about how Philip specifically told Reich and Sirianni this week that Cox was ready, and not to hold back on calling anything for him. And Philip showed he wasn't lying, either, with the throws he made to him, and with Cox pulling them in. No, that's a connection that I can assure you is just getting started.

I agree, seeing MAC yesterday takes me back to 2003, Antonio Gates' rookie year. The other Chargers tight ends were a guy drafted the year prior named Justin Peelle, an undrafted guy from the season prior named Josh Norman, and the only veteran was Redkins cast-off Stephen Alexander, derisively nicknamed "Stephanie" for his penchant of milking minor injuries and rarely being available. Gates quickly established himself as the best of that group, virtually uncoverable and he quickly became Drew Brees' preferred target. Our wide receivers back then were nothing to write home about, but even as we acquired better ones, Antonio was a dominant force that had to be accounted for and the only person I  saw who could cover him 1 on 1 back then was newly minted Hall of Famer Troy Polamalu. 

 

When Brees got hurt and went to the Saints, Philip took over as the starting quarterback and he continued to "feed" Gates, becoming the most productive QB & TE combination in NFL history with 89 TDs between them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stitches said:

It's weird because in certain situations he does - like whenever he extends his arms to catch away from his body(those are the harder ones), he looks like a natural catcher but a lot of times when the ball is in his frame, he lets it hit his chest... I don't know if this is him not trusting his ability as a catcher and trying to soften the throw into his embrace by using his body or is it just weird technique issue that can be worked on.

As a bball player you never let the ball get to your body while catching. Could be on to something here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Good call to make him a focal point of the gameplan. The Vikings didn’t seem to think we would look to him at all, but we did and it paid off. Always liked Mo, he’s never been a player you look at as a liability on the field. 
 

I’m also pretty sure his big catch today is longer than any of Doyle’s career.
 

Today is why I never really saw the need to bring in Burton. I think Mo is ready to be #2 and more involved weekly. 

 

In week 1 of this year, Doyle had a 28 yard catch which is the longest of his career.  MAC had a 34 yard catch in 2018 and yesterday's 33 yarder is the 2nd longest of his career.  It is exciting to see us stretching out the field with our TEs (I think that is largely on having Rivers rather than Brissett, but it's something which was done a bit with Ebron to some extent (a couple receptions over 40 yards) but MAC has an overall higher yards per catch average than Ebron did here (I know the season is young and it's a small sample size).  Otherwise, our TEs haven't really been used as major receiving threats since the days of Dallas Clark/Marcus Pollard.  

 

I thought MAC would be a good player and think he's still developing into one... I guess I liked the Burton signing due to his familiarity with Reich and since we were/are pretty thin in terms of TE depth and because MAC wasn't really used as a receiver last year due to a hand injury -- he's certainly seeming to be a better blocker than Burton, though... and seems like the type of TE Rivers really covets.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing him in limited time in 2018 and thinking how much potential he seemed to have.  Then he wasn't used much the rest of 2018.  Then 2019 he was used very little, so I started thinking that the coaches must see less in him than I did.   Now I think maybe I was right.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, stitches said:

Very impressive recovery from Mo after that interception early in the game.

 

I still would like to see him have better catch technique but he does have a lot of very good attributes that can make him into a very nice weapon for us. And the best part is - he's already shown that he can block, so if he put it all together as a receiver, he's looking like a nice versatile TE.

 

Yeah, like Garcon, throw it waist level and you might have more incompletions, it is going to be tough for a tall guy like MAC. But throw it at helmet or higher level, he will go up and get it like the former basketball player that he is. Antonio Gates however would have caught the one that hit him in the numbers. I was always peeved at why they wouldn't use him more in the passing game. If you believe you have a stellar OL and believe you don't need to help your OL with a 2nd TE at the LOS, just chip with your RB and use the 2nd TE in the passing game more often.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...