Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has your perception of Colts changed

danlhart87

I had us going 9-7 and losing the opener to Jax.  I thought we would still make post season as a wildcard but after seeing how our defense looked last week, the questionable coaching by Reich, and the season ending injury to Mack...I’m not as optimistic about that right now.  Rivers is playing pretty much how I expected thus far.  Some good play but good for throwing killer interceptions at inopportune times. Not really a clutch QB.

20 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Some here predicted a 13 - 3 season for the Colts. Has your predictions changed after 1 week? I had us finishing 9 - 7 so I will stick with that for now. 

I had us finishing 10-6/11-5 with a balanced offense and solid run game and an improved defense. My perception has definitely changed. Mack is out for the year, the pass defense seems just as bad as last year, no faith in the coaching as of now. I need to see a win this week before I have any faith in this team possibly making the playoffs.

At this point, something's wrong with this team. It's either the players Ballard is signing and drafting (don't think it is at this point), or it's poor coaching by Reich and Eberflus (which I do believe at this point). In any case, the problem needs to be indentified and fixed quickly, or this could be a rough year.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I had us finishing 10-6/11-5 with a balanced offense and solid run game and an improved defense. My perception has definitely changed. Mack is out for the year, the pass defense seems just as bad as last year, no faith in the coaching as of now. I need to see a win this week before I have any faith in this team possibly making the playoffs.

At this point, something's wrong with this team. It's either the players Ballard is signing and drafting (don't think it is at this point), or it's poor coaching by Reich and Eberflus (which I do believe at this point). In any case, the problem needs to be indentified and fixed quickly, or this could be a rough year.

Ballard is far and away the least of the problems. Drafting Taylor will now prove to be a smart move by Ballard. 

I expect Ballard to push more towards building the DL beyond Buckner.

An amazing DL can make the secondary look great.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard is far and away the least of the problems. Drafting Taylor will now prove to be a smart move by Ballard. 

I expect Ballard to push more towards building the DL beyond Buckner.

An amazing DL can make the secondary look great.

Yeah, I don't think it's Ballard either, I was merely mentioning it as a possibility that the players may be the problem that he drafted for us, then I quickly dismissed it. I don't have inside access to the team, but I think a logical conclusion would be that a coach (or combination of coaches), of Reich, Eberflus, and Sirriani aren't using the players Ballard drafted properly to their maximum effectiveness. At this point, I don't believe it's just a lack of talent. Although the secondary isn't perfect, you have to do much better than what you did Vs Brees and Minshew on a regular basis.

If we continue to allow QBs to put up numbers like Brees and Minshew did, then it may be Ballard's fault for signing and drafting the wrong guys. Until we see a bigger sample size though, I'm going to put it on the coaches instead. Ballard has earned the benefit of the doubt as of now from that 2018 class and hitting on plenty of other picks.

Just going to guess right now this is on coaching and the proper adjustments need to be made. If it continues to happen the rest of the year, then some changes need to be made on the coaching staff. The completion % this secondary allows isn't normal. In fact, it's closer to historic in a bad way. A big step forward would be to shut the Vikings pass offense down tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Its gonna be meltdown city here if the Colts lose Sunday here

Well, there's only an 11 percent chance that an 0-2 team makes the playoffs, so that's when you start hitting the "danger zone" as far as the season goes. I know it's early, but we can't afford a loss in game 2 of the year already.

Wow, after watching the game last Sunday, I felt like I was watching my Colts trying to be led by the San Diego Chargers quarterback of OLD.

Let’ see, he has been in the NFL for 16-17 years with no Super Bowl wins. He still pleads like a cry baby with the officials when we get penalized. I was not in favor of the Colts signing him, but, I am just a Colts fan in Arizona.

When people were talking about who we should get in the draft I mentioned getting someone of youth. I also mentioned how the team here in Arizona has brought great energy to team and fans with who they got for quarterback. Did any of that happen in Indiana with the OLD Chargers quarterback?

My perception has not changed and I will call this season a WASH OUT if the team leaders keep playing the Chargers OLD quarterback... please remind the owner how they kept Adam in the games last year...which we should have won.

Somebody tell Rivers that the object of the game is to score more points than the other team and to NOT GIVE the ball away to them.

GO, ( I will always be a Colts Fan and I believe we will win the Super Bowl, again but not with Rivers) COLTS!

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not really.  The offense looked great.  The defense needs to improve.  

Minus the two turnovers, two fourth down stops and 30 yard field goal off the upright.

The defense needs vast improvement, especially the secondary, but the offense had costly mistakes too.  

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Don't judge too quickly I have faith he will D

do well 

Trust me, I want him to do well. I was merely saying that because he can no longer share carries with Mack. So he'll more or less be our bellcow RB now. We saw a limited sample size with him last week, now is the time for him to break out. He has proven he can catch the ball well, now he needs to do it in the run game as well.

My perception has significantly changed. I was drinking the Kool Aid, and thought Buckner would make the Defense formidable. Defense looks just as terrible as when Ballard first took over as GM. Combination of bad coaching and bad drafting. Besides Leonard, none of his high draft picks on defense have planned out. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I feel some of you are being sarcastic but I can't tell. 

Yeah, and at times I think you are full of it too...

I still have high hopes for this year's team, I wish you did too, I guess you just like to be the naysayer.

Oh well...

I'll be honest I had high hopes for this season, mainly because I thought our defense was going to be a lot better (drafted colts D in my fantasy teams) but after seeing last week we were really bad at stopping even the Jags from marching down the field I have changed my perception a little. Yes it's one game but it showed that the defense is not nearly what I expected them to be. Hopefully that changes but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, I was thinking around 11-5 now its more like 8-8 or 7-9 for me. If we beat the Vikings I'm sure my perception will change once again lol, Colts are one of those teams that you can never bet on, every game is a toss up!

Has feelings changed because of 1 game??

I don't  really know what my feelings were before season. I hoped and thought we could have a good season but outside the Manning/Polian era and first 3 seasons of Luck,Griggs,& Pagano it's hard to get to confident with this organization since the end of the Bert Jones era.

And it's actually more than 1 game, before the Jax game we lost 7 out of 9 to finish  last season. But truthfully,  I was very surprised we got beat by the jags and it was surprising and disappointing. More than the lost itself was the poor defensive performance which mirrored its poor performances late last season. 

Going forward who knows what's ahead. Rivers should still put up decent stats along with his interceptions. The key is how are run game will  be and if we can shore up our poor defensive scheme which is on Ballard since he's in charge.

I think we can be a middle of the road team...  which of course take us out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes lol.

8 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Yeah, and at times I think you are full of it too...

I still have high hopes for this year's team, I wish you did too, I guess you just like to be the naysayer.

Oh well...

9 - 7 is me being a naysayer?

That record should be expected

Colts finishes around .500 last few years

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

9 - 7 is me being a naysayer?

That record should be expected

Colts finishes around .500 last few years

IMO predicting 9-7 is a decent prediction. I predicted 10-6 so I have a little more optimism than you do but that loss last week was shocking to me. I think to be on the path to at least 10-6, we have to win our next 2 games at worse.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO predicting 9-7 is a decent prediction. I predicted 10-6 so I have a little more optimism than you do but that loss last week was shocking to me. I think to be on the path to at least 10-6, we have to win our next 2 games at worse.

10-6 was my "safe" pick. I went with gut, which I think was 12-4. 

I still think we are capable of that. Coaching was the biggest issue last week IMO, and that can be fixed.

Today won't be easy, but our O should roll. The pass D is what concerns me most this afternoon. Our Charmin soft scheme and play calling can make Cousins look like Mahomes.

I'm withholding complete judgement until after today's game. Here's why:

1. Week 1 against a divisional opponent: We all know that division games can be fairly close and even result in the "weaker" team winning simply because they are a division game. In addition, week 1 has always historically seen some pretty surprising games and upsets. Maybe this was the case with the Colts.

2. COVID: The lack of a "normal" offseason as well as a decent crop of new players on both sides of the ball means that there was going to be some growing pains.

3. Lack of Preseason: Ironically enough, I believe that this has shown that there still needs to be at least some preseason games given the amount of sloppy play we saw across the league despite a percentage of fans thinking that the preseason is a waste.

If the Colts come out and lose today, I'll be hitting the panic button along with many others I'm sure. But if they show improvement and get the win, I'll stick with my prediction of a playoff berth. Let's see what happens.

Nah.  Said 10 wins and stickin to it.  Not gonna freak out after a single crappy game.  As I recall, the Colts got destroyed by MJD and the Jags on the ground like a couple of months before they won the Superbowl.  Stuff happens.  I expect this team to right the ship.  If they haven't after week 4, then I'll change my mind.

Archived