Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why The Colts D Struggled In Jax Film

krunk

1 hour ago, B~Town said:

Alot of mistakes in the secondary becomes obvious why eberflus doesnt dile up the blitz often our guys just get roasted .

So no one on this team has seen a lack of talent urgent enough to change more for years?  And no one has seen the talent for their scheme isn't there, and tried to adjust accordingly?  Sheesh

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

So no one on this team has seen a lack of talent urgent enough to change more for years?  And no one has seen the talent for their scheme isn't there, and tried to adjust accordingly?  Sheesh

For sure they have look at how many db s they have went through . With a focus on the lines not many high picks for db s the few we did draft high Wilson and Hooker didnt pan out as hoped. Rhodes our signing this year looked lost last week . 

That last play in the section "Miscommunications in the Secondary" looks like Willis just blew coverage.  Carrie should have some responsibility (second responsibility, to be fair) for the motion guy but who was Willis responsible for other than the WR?  Everyone else was flowing over, so yeah, ultimately, both guys were responsible.  At thevery least, easy for me to call this more on being rusty (despite their being at fault).

Really, my big takeaway is that this team was not appropriately prepared.  Call it coaching, but I'm more apt to call the sloppiness up to COVID.  They will get one game's worth of excuse due to COVID.  Mistakes need to be cleaned up though, as this article very much points out.

That play where it appears Rhodes gets beat across the formation for the TD doesn't really make sense to me.

Rhodes is playing off coverage all the way on the outside and he's asked to follow the inside receive who runs up 

under the linebackers across the field.  Seems to me on a play like that if the guy runs inside you would pass him

off to somebody else.  I mean if you ask Rhodes to cover that guy based on where Rhodes was positioned the guy

is already going to be wide open regardless because of the angle.   I hope I said that right. 

I liked this article. Definitely highlights the problem areas.

I guess maybe one bright side (or maybe not) is that the big plays (touchdowns) were primarily a resultant of mental errors or miscommunications. Those are coachable.

The big miss by Rhoades on the TD where he completely bit on a PA play he had no business biting on - I didn’t realize this real-time and man watching that hurt my soul. Just terrible. Maybe he really is washed up. He was touted as a guy that lost speed but was a promising zone coverage guy in our scheme. Good zone DBs do not whiff that bad mentally especially when you don’t have the physical abilities to make up for it. 

Good analysis.  I'm also wondering if teams are looking at how Drew Brees picked us apart last year with only one incompletion.  Minshew did similar with only one incompletion himself.  Is the defensive scheme part of the problem.  I would think Coach Reich as ex-QB/Offensive Coordinator would see a flaw in our defensive scheme if we do have one?

It's one game.  Let's see where the trend is after about 4 weeks.  If the Colts come out and shut Minny down in the passing game then people will go the opposite direction, which is also knee-jerk.    If they still suck after 4 games then it may be time for changes.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:25 AM, Shafty138 said:

After one game?   

You reached these conclusions after one regular season game and no pre-season?

Archived