Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fans at Games / Attendance Limits (merge)

WoolMagnet

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

I just saw that a fan attending the Chiefs game has covid.  As there are only 5 of 32 teams allowing fans , does everyone else think this is a bit risky?  I mean, does 0 or 2,500 fans really matter?

seems like poor risk  management to me.

I don’t get it.  The risk doesn’t seem worth it. 

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Cuz the virus isnt real.  Just kidding.

i know.  Its risky imo.

perhaps it has something to do with them winning SB and wanted an “event” around that.

i’mout here in Pa avoiding all people when possible.  Its crazy how the views of the virus are soooo different across this “great” land of ours.  

Very confusing to me.

There's literally no playbook on all this unfortunately. As you can see in everyday life I'm sure.

Jets/Giants can't have fans, but I'm sure people locally in the northeast like myself will tell you there's people everywhere. Not sure how much distancing is going on anywhere honestly. 

Literally depends 10000% up to local officials, even if we have no idea why they're telling us to do certain things.

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Cuz the virus isnt real.  Just kidding.

i know.  Its risky imo.

perhaps it has something to do with them winning SB and wanted an “event” around that.

i’mout here in Pa avoiding all people when possible.  Its crazy how the views of the virus are soooo different across this “great” land of ours.  

Very confusing to me.

well because of there little 20k gesture a fan actually caught covid that night just read the article on it.

I think the logic is that allowing such a small amount of people in tests the ability to manage and then you can scale up from there.  Agreed it is a risk but it is probably step 1 to getting back to having a decent number of people in stadiums.

Also, in theory, even with one person being positive, the attendees should be distanced enough that it will not be passed to many (if any) others.

It is a fair question that you ask though.

7500 I think is what the Colts are starting with. Let us see how it goes.

A lot of things are touchless, from what I saw on the news. I agree that responsibility can only be regulated so much but a small sample size is the right way to start. I personally am looking for the Colts fans to make some noise for our first home game, however little it might be.

Are megaphones allowed? :) 

I heard ticket sales for Colts-Jets game open this morning at 10 am.

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

well because of there little 20k gesture a fan actually caught covid that night just read the article on it.

I believe the reporting isn't that someone caught it at the game, but that someone that attended the game tested positive.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

I believe the reporting isn't that someone caught it at the game, but that someone that attended the game tested positive.

correct and 10 other fans got quarantined as well 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Impossible to know if they caught it at the game

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/09/17/fan-chiefs-texans-nfl-season-opener-tests-positive-coronavirus-10-quarantined/

• Nadine changed the title to Fans at Games / Attendance Limits (merge)
45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

7500 I think is what the Colts are starting with. Let us see how it goes.

A lot of things are touchless, from what I saw on the news. I agree that responsibility can only be regulated so much but a small sample size is the right way to start. I personally am looking for the Colts fans to make some noise for our first home game, however little it might be.

Are megaphones allowed? :) 

I heard ticket sales for Colts-Jets game open this morning at 10 am.

2500 against the Vikings. 7500 against the Jets.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't say he got it at the game.   It says he tested positive the day after the game

Likely before the because of incubation time frame. OTOH, they 'slipped by' safety testing procedures in place at Arrowhead-

"According to Chiefs’ protocol, fans entering the open air field-box should have been tested prior to the game. A Chiefs spokesperson said the fan was not tested before the game based on information they said came from the health department. The Chiefs spokesperson said they do not yet know how the fan bypassed pregame testing."

It appears teams and also their health department have ties/plans for situations like this.

**The team issued a lengthy statement saying the club's contract tracing mechanisms in place, including parking and ticket scanning data and video records show the fan's movements within Arrowhead.

"This process allowed the team to identify the other guests sitting with this individual, the service staff with whom this individual may have come in contact with, as well as any other ticket holders near this person (all of whom I assume are required to quarantine now because of this) at the time of entry into the stadium," the team said.

"Within hours of being notified, the Chiefs were able to pinpoint the names of the other members of the party as well as detailed information about the path and location of entry, and this information was provided to the Health Department. The tracing capabilities at the stadium allow the extension of communication to learn more about the guest's activity the days leading up to and after the game Thursday night."

It's not just about people showing up at the game because everyone knows and accepts the risk. Maybe the workers need a paycheck so have to validate parking, take tickets at the gate, serve concessions, etc and get a paycheck... not Covid-19.  Maybe those other fans want to see a game without being exposed to a virus with no therapeutic cure at this time. Now these people can't even see their families/relatives (let alone friends) for a couple of weeks.

“I want to remind everyone that COVID-19 is anywhere and everywhere. While we’re all tired of it, frustrated and even angry at how it has altered and stricken our lives and livelihoods, we must continue to think of those who have not and will not survive it,”

Dr. Rex Archer, Kansas City health director.

Just now, FortheWin said:

I do not like the fans at the game not because of Covid but because it is an unfair advantage. Roger really should have said no fans at games until all the teams are able to have fans to keep things fair. JMO>

I don't think they can generate much noise.  I've seen people complaining about the canned crowd noise too......not being loud enough. I think we're giving up real crowd noise this year.  Honestly, I'm just so glad to have football.  Gives us a reason to make chili and have friends over to watch the game (on our screen porch).

It is a welcome bit of normal and a distraction from the pandemic. 

I really really just hope the whole season gets played

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Likely before the because of incubation time frame. OTOH, they 'slipped by' safety testing procedures in place at Arrowhead-

"According to Chiefs’ protocol, fans entering the open air field-box should have been tested prior to the game. A Chiefs spokesperson said the fan was not tested before the game based on information they said came from the health department. The Chiefs spokesperson said they do not yet know how the fan bypassed pregame testing."

It appears teams and also their health department have ties/plans for situations like this.

**The team issued a lengthy statement saying the club's contract tracing mechanisms in place, including parking and ticket scanning data and video records show the fan's movements within Arrowhead.

"This process allowed the team to identify the other guests sitting with this individual, the service staff with whom this individual may have come in contact with, as well as any other ticket holders near this person (all of whom I assume are required to quarantine now because of this) at the time of entry into the stadium," the team said.

"Within hours of being notified, the Chiefs were able to pinpoint the names of the other members of the party as well as detailed information about the path and location of entry, and this information was provided to the Health Department. The tracing capabilities at the stadium allow the extension of communication to learn more about the guest's activity the days leading up to and after the game Thursday night."

It's not just about people showing up at the game because everyone knows and accepts the risk. Maybe the workers need a paycheck so have to validate parking, take tickets at the gate, serve concessions, etc and get a paycheck... not Covid-19.  Maybe those other fans want to see a game without being exposed to a virus with no therapeutic cure at this time. Now these people can't even see their families/relatives (let alone friends) for a couple of weeks.

“I want to remind everyone that COVID-19 is anywhere and everywhere. While we’re all tired of it, frustrated and even angry at how it has altered and stricken our lives and livelihoods, we must continue to think of those who have not and will not survive it,”

Dr. Rex Archer, Kansas City health director.

These pre-game screenings, do they do the RT-PCR test or just a thermal scan (which is not as useful, IMO, except for egregious fever)? The Cycle Threshold (Ct) value - what do they do if it is 33 (say) because at 35 and above, the person is considered negative (or in technical terms, less likely to spread it)?

https://in.dental-tribune.com/news/cycle-threshold-ct-value-of-rt-pcr-can-tell-us-if-a-sars-cov-2-infected-person-can-spread-disease/

Just curious.

3 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I do not like the fans at the game not because of Covid but because it is an unfair advantage. Roger really should have said no fans at games until all the teams are able to have fans to keep things fair. JMO

I agree, definitely creates a competitive imbalance throughout the league.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

These pre-game screenings, do they do the RT-PCR test or just a thermal scan (which is not as useful, IMO, except for egregious fever)?     {snip}

To me, an RT-PCR test pre-game for fans seems useless and expensive.  Results can take a long time unless they are processed on site (highly unlikely have a lab well equipped enough to do it).  I think the only true way would be one of the new RDT antigen (viral proteins) detection tests if results in <15 minutes.  Temp scan would be a minimal protocol, I would think.

People can be infectious 1-3 days before symptoms, and at least 7 more days after.  Last protocol I remember a person was generally accepted as likely no longer infectious after 10 past their onset of symptoms, or 3 days after their symptoms are reduced (or eliminated) with having no fever over those 3 days.

I don't see a huge benefit to teams having a few thousand people in the stands. It was pin drop quiet Sunday against the Jags. Almost everything we hear is coming from the artificial noise. 

Maybe if indoor teams go to 50% later this year, and other teams are still at zero, there will be an imbalance. Right now, I don't think there is. JMO.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't see a huge benefit to teams having a few thousand people in the stands. It was pin drop quiet Sunday against the Jags. Almost everything we hear is coming from the artificial noise. 

Maybe if indoor teams go to 50% later this year, and other teams are still at zero, there will be an imbalance. Right now, I don't think there is. JMO.

Probably because the Jags are an awful team. The fans were very loud in KC for opening night. 16-20 k fans can make a lot of noise.  It also provides emotional support for the home to look up in the stands and see the fans. It is a competitive advantage. 

1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

Probably because the Jags are an awful team. The fans were very loud in KC for opening night. 16-20 k fans can make a lot of noise.  It also provides emotional support for the home to look up in the stands and see the fans. It is a competitive advantage. 

I heard the fans in KC, but I got the impression it was artificial noise more than the fans. 

2 hours ago, FortheWin said:

It also provides emotional support for the home to look up in the stands

This is where I see it as well.

More of a mental comfort, thing.

It does take away some home field advantage from losing crowd noise and building off that 

momentum. This helps off set that disadvantage for the home team.

I think seeing fans in the stands gives the players a moral boost.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think as far as a single game, the competitive advantages and disadvantages are pretty close. Other team still has to travel though, cant take away that advantage.( benefit from lack of crowd noise vs emotional boost from a few home fans) ~  I would say that still gives the home team an advantage, clearly not such as having a sellout crowd would give them, but still an advantage that some teams might not get if not allowed to have fans.

Where it comes into affect is league wide. If teams are not getting this "slight advantage" (% of fan attendance) of a little extra boost from the crowd(no matter how minimal) in their home games, to off set the loss of full stadiums crowd noise, and feeding off their energy the home team already is losing out on.

So teams that are already losing crowd noise, now they also have miss out on getting the emotional boost from still seeing fans for 8 home games(potentially).

Its a big picture competitive disadvantage(whole season) for home teams that cant have any fans for up to 8 games, when other teams are getting that advantage for 8 games.

Im fine with it though, seems it could be done safety. Time will tell. Feeling more and more confident the season can be completed.

Side note:

As far as attendance, if they can continue to increase capacity limits(and keeping it safe), the salary cap drop(minimum $175m, right now) will get smaller and smaller, maybe only drop to $185-$190m(all speculation on my part). Which could potentially give us more cap room to spend on next year. So the more fans that can attend, the more money there will be to go around.

Side note 2:

Sorry for the ramble. Read it over and over just seems like I said the same things in like 3 or 4 different ways, and maybe still managed to not say anything?

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Sorry for the ramble. Read it over and over just seems like I said the same things in like 3 or 4 different ways, and maybe still managed to not say anything?

A man after my own heart...

I can see some benefit, just not enough that I think it matters. And I don't know that there's any benefit to seeing a few people scattered all over the place in the stands. A full stadium, sure. 

And like you said, if they can add revenue, they will. 

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Where it comes into affect is league wide. If teams are not getting this "slight advantage" (% of fan attendance) of a little extra boost from the crowd(no matter how minimal) in their home games, to off set the loss of full stadiums crowd noise, and feeding off their energy the home team already is losing out on.

It is good news for the Chargers. It seemed that their home field has not given them an advantage since moving from San Diego. It seemed that most of the crowds at their home games were fans of the opposing team. The players expressed that this bothered them. 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is good news for the Chargers. It seemed that their home field has not given them an advantage since moving from San Diego. It seemed that most of the crowds at their home games were fans of the opposing team. The players expressed that this bothered them. 

I like that. 

So they have advantages now, because the disadvantages they had been playing with for years are:

1. now has to be experienced by some other teams 

2. Chargers are already used to playing with small crowds, so playing without them is like just another day. No adjustment period needed.(amplified by no preseason)

3. they don't have to hear opposing teams fans at their home games, so another win for them.(0 fans > opponents fans)

Good day(season) for the Chargers

Triple Crown

22 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think the logic is that allowing such a small amount of people in tests the ability to manage and then you can scale up from there.  Agreed it is a risk but it is probably step 1 to getting back to having a decent number of people in stadiums.

Also, in theory, even with one person being positive, the attendees should be distanced enough that it will not be passed to many (if any) others.

It is a fair question that you ask though.

Good points

23 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Yes, test their protocols and plans at first and adjust.  :thmup:

23 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Even at the Chiefs game where one was positive, it was just 10 other fans that have to quarantine. Not that bad considering.

Archived