Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Encouraging facts from the jags game

Restinpeacesweetchloe

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts gave up the second least yards in week 1.  Colts had second most yards on offense. Pressure rating was one of the best in week one  for the dline. Seems like there was two issues. The back end on defense and the two interceptions.

And they still lost, to one of the worst teams in the NFL. 

21 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

You say that but look at the teams who lost Sunday. Jacksonville management may have been trying to tank, but the players sure weren’t. We gifted them 10 points and left at least 6 on the field by going for it on 4th down and missing that field goal. We beat ourselves and that’s just part of the game sometimes. 

Otherwise we would have won. 

47 minutes ago, krunk said:

Encouraged by the D line. I do believe the group is better. Not encouraged by the sloppy tackling and mishaps in the secondary.Looking for improvements in both areas starting Sunday

I thought the Dline was average at best.  The investment is such that they better be better than average.  

Besides Mack's achilles, the dline was the most discouraging thing about Sunday's game to me.  I was looking to see some dominance and there wasn't any.

58 minutes ago, krunk said:

Encouraged by the D line. I do believe the group is better. Not encouraged by the sloppy tackling and mishaps in the secondary.Looking for improvements in both areas starting Sunday

Tackling is normally worse at beginning of season and with only limited live practice and no preseason, it is even more expected that it will take a bit longer to get it back. Hopefully that starts with this week

59 minutes ago, krunk said:

Watched a break down looks like Rhodes had a down right ugly game missed several assignments

2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Watched a break down looks like Rhodes had a down right ugly game missed several assignments

Well we already know that the secondary is a relative weakness.  The Dline is supposed to be close to elite.  That is why the pedestrian play was disappointing to me.

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I thought the Dline was average at best.  The investment is such that they better be better than average.  

Besides Mack's achilles, the dline was the most discouraging thing about Sunday's game to me.  I was looking to see some dominance and there wasn't any.

Cant be dominant when the pocket is constantly moving all around and all the throws are short. They designed a decent game plan to neutralize our rush. I saw enough potential to be encouraged pass rush wise. Against the run we didnt execute well so adjustments im looking for on Sunday

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well we already know that the secondary is a relative weakness.  The Dline is supposed to be close to elite.  That is why the pedestrian play was disappointing to me.

Who said that?  Most I read and heard was that it'll be improved.  

I liked what I saw of offense except I'm not sold on Taylor running yet.   We'll see on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Aside from everything we read and heard before the game, did Jacksonville really look that bad? I thought they looked determined and didn't make the kind of mistakes that a terrible team often makes, especially on offense. Minshew may not be spectacular, but he's 7-6 as a starter now and seems smart and effective. Their rookie running back impressed me with how hard he ran.  

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It sounds like the issue is that you have some unrealistic expectations. I haven't seen anyone say that our DL was elite. We added what was viewed as an elite player in Buckner, but Stewart is average at best, Houston is very good still off the edge, but we don't have any standouts on the other side on the active roster at the moment. Temper your expectations and you might not be so disappointed.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Who said that?  Most I read and heard was that it'll be improved.  

I liked what I say of offense except I'm not sold on Taylor running yet.   We'll see on Sunday.

Agree on Taylor.  We will see.  Lateral quickness and vision, are questionable.  Straight Burst explosiveness is not.

I thought there was a lot of talk about the Dline being one of the better units in ball with Buckner signing.  I'm not talking Elite but a notch below that.

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

You watch the game? If you did stats aside, do you feel encouraged by that defense?

Precisely why context is important when viewing stats.

There were very few moments in that game when it felt like the Colts could stop Jacksonville's approach.

The Offense, in retrospect, moved the ball fine versus that defense though once Mack exited the game, things seemed to tail off a bit on that side of the ball.

All said, these stats are all well and good but the context is the Colts never looked like stopping the Jags.  When you pick a strategy and the opponent negates it, you have to pivot and that never happened, especially on defense.

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

You watch the game? If you did stats aside, do you feel encouraged by that defense?

Did I say I was encouraged? Just saying there was encouraging things in the game despite the loss. Didn’t seem like it was the dline  but the linebackers and secondary. That stuff can be cleaned up. With no preseason and lack of tackling that happens. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Did I say I was encouraged? Just saying there was encouraging things in the game despite the loss. Didn’t seem like it was the dline  but the linebackers and secondary. That stuff can be cleaned up. With no preseason and lack of tackling that happens. 

So 2/3 of the defense? 

6 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Aside from everything we read and heard before the game, did Jacksonville really look that bad? I thought they looked determined and didn't make the kind of mistakes that a terrible team often makes, especially on offense. Minshew may not be spectacular, but he's 7-6 as a starter now and seems smart and effective. Their rookie running back impressed me with how hard he ran.  

How many games do you think Jacksonville wins this year?

19 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Hopefully 5+ to keep Lawrence out of the division haha (if only because I don't want to hear the constant comparisons to Peyton/Luck as if we're the past and they're the future, lol. Trevor has those kinds of expectations)

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts gave up the second least yards in week 1.  Colts had second most yards on offense. Pressure rating was one of the best in week one  for the dline. Seems like there was two issues. The back end on defense and the two interceptions.

And........we still lost.

44 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

They just won their 1st and only game of the season lol. Maybe everyone misjudged them

8 hours ago, Shive said:

It sounds like the issue is that you have some unrealistic expectations. I haven't seen anyone say that our DL was elite. We added what was viewed as an elite player in Buckner, but Stewart is average at best, Houston is very good still off the edge, but we don't have any standouts on the other side on the active roster at the moment. Temper your expectations and you might not be so disappointed.

$100 Mil to the missing link to make this D Elite failed in wk 1 no matter how you slice it!  My biggest disappointment came from a lack of presence from that one player alone.  Never did I hear or see Buckner be anywhere close to a $100 mil prize on sun & that hurt the most.  19-20 for 3 tds w/ a 96% comp percentage to the 32nd ranked team!  Buckner + Leonard is top notch in this league but got abused again vs the 32nd ranked team.  

Coaching:  We lost 6 pts by not kicking the field goal early and a rookie miss from point blank!  Why a rookie over a proven in Chase?  Fans don't want to hear this but if we kick a fg on that 4th down & don't miss the fg from point blank, Colts kick the game winner at the end of this game!  Of course that meant we kept Chase over Hotrod which I wanted.  How many more games we lose to kicking & coaching!

10 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

My opinion of Jax changed a lot after that game.  I think they're going to be a good team this season.

Minshew is scrappy and resourceful.  He's got two nice wideouts this year too.  That RB they found is something too, #30.  His power style gives them a nice look with him and Minshew.  Line looks solid.

The roster is loaded with young and talented kids.  And the Jags have one of the better offensive staffs around (Marrone was already good and they added Gruden who I have a ton of respect for).  I think this opinion of them being a trash team is beginning to look like groupthink.

45 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

My opinion of Jax changed a lot after that game.  I think they're going to be a good team this season.

Minshew is scrappy and resourceful.  He's got two nice wideouts this year too.  That RB they found is something too, #30.  His power style gives them a nice look with him and Minshew.  Line looks solid.

The roster is loaded with young and talented kids.  And the Jags have one of the better offensive staffs around (Marrone was already good and they added Gruden who I have a ton of respect for).  I think this opinion of them being a trash team is beginning to look like groupthink.

Many die hard colt fans are sugar coating this loss as they want to believe so hard that this was a fluke or lol actually believing the Jags are a good team!  After the Jags just unloaded ALL their probowl talent, you think the roster is loaded?  If their loaded, what do you call this colts roster?  I think the Colts overlooked their opponent even know they haven't won there since a grip.

16 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Many die hard colt fans are sugar coating this loss as they want to believe so hard that this was a fluke or lol actually believing the Jags are a good team!  After the Jags just unloaded ALL their probowl talent, you think the roster is loaded?  If their loaded, what do you call this colts roster?  I think the Colts overlooked their opponent even know they haven't won there since a grip.

Well the misconception was the Jags were going to tank this season. No one told them that. 

Your sky is falling opinion is way too pre mature. 

5 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I don't think they are loaded with talent, but they are not as depleted as people thought.   Probably a 5 win team.  They may have unloaded some players because they seen something in the backup.   People hammered them for cutting Fournette, but maybe they knew Robinson was good. 

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

$100 Mil to the missing link to make this D Elite failed in wk 1 no matter how you slice it!  My biggest disappointment came from a lack of presence from that one player alone.  Never did I hear or see Buckner be anywhere close to a $100 mil prize on sun & that hurt the most.  19-20 for 3 tds w/ a 96% comp percentage to the 32nd ranked team!  Buckner + Leonard is top notch in this league but got abused again vs the 32nd ranked team.

I've posted this in other threads, but I'll post it again. Minshew had one of the lowest average time to throw (tied for 2nd) in the league last week, meaning he didn't hold onto the ball long at all. That specifically helps neutralize the DL and pass rush. Also keep in mind that Buckner won't always show up in the box score. As the best player on our DL, teams are more likely to double him and leave others having 1-on-1 match-ups. At that point, it's up to them to beat their man and make some plays.

Also, 32nd ranked team? By who? The talking heads? Before last week, every team was working from a clean slate. There was no 1st ranked or 32nd ranked. This wasn't Week 10 where we got beat by a 1-8 team.

6 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Whether the team is really god or not is irrelevant. They may have unloaded some of the top talent in the past year or 2, but they still have some really good players. There wasn't a big drop-off from Fournette. Ngakoue was really good, but they also have Josh Allen. Ramsey is gone, but CJ Henderson is looking to be really talented as well. There's still some really solid talent there, although I do think we have a much more talented roster.

The fact of the matter is that Jacksonville had a gameplan that was geared towards neutralizing our DL, while taking advantage of our (typically) soft zone scheme and Minshew's strength of hitting his first reads faster than almost any other QB in the league. I don't think it's sugarcoating the loss to say that Jacksonville had a solid offensive gameplan and we made enough mistakes for that to be enough to beat us.

17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember how bad the linebackers were to start the season last year. They improved by game 2 and 3. 

The dline had the third highest pressure rate in week one. Everything that happened with the offense and defense can be cleaned up. 

I think that was largely due to LEonard's concussion if I remember correctly.

I didn't realize they had that kind of pressure all game.  Can't ask for more than that pressure wise.  They were not very good against the run.  We shall see. 

The staff will have to adjust to the short game.  If  you have the 3rd highest pressure rate AND give up 19-20, something will need to change.  Those two stats shouldn't go together.

Our backers are not very good in coverage, and I think alot of people forget that.  It is a significant weakness for Leonard.  Alot of the blame goes to the secondary when most of the passes are actually being completed in front of them.  

10 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

We will see, but they still look an awful lot like a 4 win team to me. The people who thought the Colts were winning 12 games was always baffling to me. I think it’s going to be a 9-10 Win team at best.

57 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

We will see, but they still look an awful lot like a 4 win team to me. The people who thought the Colts were winning 12 games was always baffling to me. I think it’s going to be a 9-10 Win team at best.

I'll take 10 wins and a playoff berth.  

Archived