Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team Rankings after week 1...O-3rd in League, D- 2nd

holeymoley99

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/_/view/team

2 yards behind behind Philly on Defense (Not sure Ive seen top 2 teams in D both lose their games but turnovers can swing games as we all know). 

Offense slightly above a ton of teams but with Viking Defense this week that allowed the Packers the most yards we may gain on both G.B. and Atlanta.  

5 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

2 yards behind behind Philly on Defense (Not sure Ive seen top 2 teams in D both lose their games but turnovers can swing games as we all know). 

Offense slightly above a ton of teams but with Viking Defense this week that allowed the Packers the most yards we may gain on both G.B. and Atlanta.  

Yea, that's pretty wild... but I guess if you consider that we got stopped on the Jax 3 (left potential 7 points on the board), missed a FG (another 3 - which resulted in a FG for Jax), plus Jax only had to drive 27 yards for their first TD (after a Rivers INT), and drove for 3 yards and got a FG after the 2nd INT.... we basically left at least 10 points on the board and gave them 10 (maybe 13 if you want to count their FG after our missed FG, I didn't because they still drove 70+ yards in that case)...... that's a 20 point swing basically from 4 bad plays by the Colts throughout the whole game.

If we can start winning the turnover battle (and making it less costly when we turn it over, not doing it on our side of the field) we will be just fine moving forward, I think.

35 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'm guessing it had to do with a mixture of Colts turnovers and us winning the Time of Possession. So our rankings looked really good, but we managed to lose the game. It's still kinda good news going forward. However, I can't ignore Minshew's completion %. That was absolutely terrible and has to improve for our secondary.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

We also tied for 2nd most sacks as well.

4 sacks were very nice. The D-Line did well (although Buckner didn't get a sack). Autry with 2, Houston with 1, and Khari Willis got 1 as well. Buckner did his job for Autry and Houston. I think the Redskins had 8 sacks on the Eagles, so nobody was touching them in week 1. I'm glad that unit looked good for us. Next year, we need a no1 CB and the defense should be complete IMO.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing it had to do with a mixture of Colts turnovers and us winning the Time of Possession. So our rankings looked really good, but we managed to lose the game. It's still kinda good news going forward. However, I can't ignore Minshew's completion %. That was absolutely terrible and has to improve for our secondary.

Yes, that completion percentage was terrible.  The only 'silver-lining' (if you can call it that) is that most of the completions were short (5 of 19 over 10 yards) and we were (mostly) tackling them before they got behind the secondary (aside the screen to Robinson)... but that number has to improve and something has to be done about stopping those short/intermediate passes.  It'll be terrible if we play a team that is actually a threat to bomb it down the field (i.e., if our secondary is getting so used to 4-5-6 yard passes and tackling guys, what's gonna happen when a team baits us into that with a 95% completion rate and then throws a couple of deep balls into the mix?).

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

4 sacks were very nice. The D-Line did well (although Buckner didn't get a sack). Autry with 2, Houston with 1, and Khari Willis got 1 as well. Buckner did his job for Autry and Houston. I think the Redskins had 8 sacks on the Eagles, so nobody was touching them in week 1. I'm glad that unit looked good for us. Next year, we need a no1 CB and the defense should be complete IMO.

Depending on how well Turay recovers, we may need another edge rusher or 2 as well... Houston's getting up there in years, so is Autry and Banogu hasn't really proved anything yet... I think Ya-Sin can be our #1 CB just fine, but we'll likely have to replace/upgrade Rhodes after this season (maybe Tell is our guy to do that if covid goes away).

6 minutes ago, B~Town said:

That stat is yards based no?

Yes, and unfortunately, Jax didn't have to gain many yards to score 10 of their points due to interceptions.

Yep, you can dominate a game up and down the field but you can still lose to one of the worst teams in the league, that's nfl football folks. I said in a post yesterday this team can win 14 games this year, they may also only win 4. It really is going to be a very interesting and exasperating season. Sit back and enjoy!

This is weird. I believe the only team to ever not make the playoffs when being top 3 in both defense and offense was coincidently another Phillip River  led team  the 2010 chargers.
  They were great on both sides of the ball but their Achilles was their special teams. It was absolutely abysmal; allowing something like 20 yards avg on punts and kickoffs if I remember correctly. Most of their loses were less than a 7 points and in many of those loses they gave up at least one special teams TD if I remember correctly. There is a good video on YouTube about that team. They should of been historically good but they didn’t even make the playoffs. 
 With all that said, I think If we can somehow keep these stats going forward I think we will be good to go. The 2010 chargers were a rarity and in most cases a team that is that good statistically almost always goes deep in the playoffs. So maybe the sky isn’t falling and that jags game was just a fluke and we play better the rest of the year.  

9 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Yep, you can dominate a game up and down the field but you can still lose to one of the worst teams in the league, that's nfl football folks. I said in a post yesterday this team can win 14 games this year, they may also only win 4. It really is going to be a very interesting and exasperating season. Sit back and enjoy!

Agreed. The Colts didn't play well and yet they outgained Jacksonville 445 to 221 in total yards. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here. I appreciate your post acknowledging that we can't figure out what's ahead for the team - or for individual players, in my opinion - based on this one game. Or maybe I'm wrong and based on a disappointing season-opening performance, the Colts should get ready to cut their quarterback, fire their GM and coaching staff, execute their defensive backfield by firing squad, and blow up Lucas Oil Stadium.   

15 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, that's pretty wild... but I guess if you consider that we got stopped on the Jax 3 (left potential 7 points on the board), missed a FG (another 3 - which resulted in a FG for Jax), plus Jax only had to drive 27 yards for their first TD (after a Rivers INT), and drove for 3 yards and got a FG after the 2nd INT.... we basically left at least 10 points on the board and gave them 10 (maybe 13 if you want to count their FG after our missed FG, I didn't because they still drove 70+ yards in that case)...... that's a 20 point swing basically from 4 bad plays by the Colts throughout the whole game.

If we can start winning the turnover battle (and making it less costly when we turn it over, not doing it on our side of the field) we will be just fine moving forward, I think.

Rivers also should've had 3 INT's also but one got taken away for a penalty. 

We were moving the ball, but Rivers was making throws that rookies shouldn't make. The defense imo was just playing too vanilla. I don't think I saw Leonard rush the passer once which is ridiculous because he has 12 sacks in the last two years.

No one here is surprised that the Colts A: lost the season opener

And B: lost @jax. 

While everyone is crowning minshew the next jags franchise QB, the Colts forums are overreacting and having a complete melt down, which is par for the course. 

I just dont know why anyone was surprised by the outcome of sundays game, especially if you have been a fan since 2013. 

Idk about you guys, but im tired of hearing about how bad the Colts played on Sunday. The next game is literally tomorrow. Let's move on already. 

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

No one here is surprised that the Colts A: lost the season opener

And B: lost @jax. 

While everyone is crowning minshew the next jags franchise QB, the Colts forums are overreacting and having a complete melt down, which is par for the course. 

I just dont know why anyone was surprised by the outcome of sundays game, especially if you have been a fan since 2013. 

Idk about you guys, but im tired of hearing about how bad the Colts played on Sunday. The next game is literally tomorrow. Let's move on already. 

I'm ready for some football. 

I'm not going to criticize any posts here, for multiple reasons, chief among them being that I'm new here, and I don't know what all of you have gone through over the years. So I'll just offer this.

I've followed this sport in general, and the NFL in particular, for just under 50 straight years now. And with the previous 16 of those having watched every day of the Mickey Mouse Chargers, I can tell you this. This team does not have the hopelessness of knowing that no matter what it does to try to make itself a champion, it isn't going to work in the end. Believe me when I tell you that that is a very real thing (and I never would have believed it before the last 16 years, either), and you don't ever want to have to live with that. Just trust me on that (which also speaks to just how special Philip is that I would put myself through that just for him, but that's a whole different story).

No, this team has the people and ability needed to become champions. Like everyone else, I have no idea if it will or not. But you have no reason to lose heart. Take that from someone who knows what losing heart REALLY is, for whatever it's worth.

10 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I'm not going to criticize any posts here, for multiple reasons, chief among them being that I'm new here, and I don't know what all of you have gone through over the years. So I'll just offer this.

I've followed this sport in general, and the NFL in particular, for just under 50 straight years now. And with the previous 16 of those having watched every day of the Mickey Mouse Chargers, I can tell you this. This team does not have the hopelessness of knowing that no matter what it does to try to make itself a champion, it isn't going to work in the end. Believe me when I tell you that that is a very real thing (and I never would have believed it before the last 16 years, either), and you don't ever want to have to live with that. Just trust me on that (which also speaks to just how special Philip is that I would put myself through that just for him, but that's a whole different story).

No, this team has the people and ability needed to become champions. Like everyone else, I have no idea if it will or not. But you have no reason to lose heart. Take that from someone who knows what losing heart REALLY is, for whatever it's worth.

Good post.

But feel free to criticize anyone and everyone lol

Ha ha, well, I can't guarantee that I won't slip up and post an unwarranted criticism at some point, but I do try my best to respect the experiences of others as best I can.

And in that vein, today's bitter loss by the Bolts to the Chiefs is just the latest incident in a very long history of what I was talking about earlier. That outfit is just poisoned to the roots. And all I can take from my decade and a half of dying from it daily is that finally Philip, and me by extension, is free of the torture.

Welcome to the board pride of Athens!!  It’s always good to hear that the colts have a new fan. It’s just too bad you weren’t here for the manning years. For those of us that watched him every Sunday throughout his career, we were  super spoiled, and we will probably never see another player like him wear the horseshoe on their helmet in our lifetime.   With that said, we did have some heart breaking losses in the playoffs, (some to your rivers led bolts!!)  so us longtime colts fans know about pain.  In some ways it’s worse expecting to win it all than being horrible and knowing you don’t have a chance. At least then you can kinda expect to lose and not get so invested into it.

But I’m not looking for a pity party for this team. There are plenty of other franchises that have had it absolutely rough For decades so I can only imagine how they must feel.  But like I said earlier it’s great to have you on our board and hopefully you stay on here and remain a colts fan even after rivers retires. (Hopefully In 2 years after 2 Super Bowl wins). Lol. 

Archived