Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank owns up to a lot of mistakes

50 minutes ago, chad72 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/09/14/colts-coach-frank-reich-says-play-calling-hurt-philip-rivers-brissett/5799067002/

Hats off to Frank!!! That play formation where there wasn't much spacing, only an honest coach would reveal that. 

Hopefully they fix it the next game.

My Aunt is a Jets fan and she says that Sam Darnold owns up to things after most games as well, but he doesn't fix them after 2+ years and counting. Sounds like Pagano and Reich for us. It does no good owning up if you make the same mistakes over and over. We'll see if he keeps his word and fixes his mistakes and makes adjustments.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And slinging hay! 

Keep your shoulder to the wheel, your ear to the ground, your eye on the ball, and your nose to the grindstone.

Now, try working in that position!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My Aunt is a Jets fan and she says that Sam Darnold owns up to things after most games as well, but he doesn't fix them after 2+ years and counting. Sounds like Pagano and Reich for us. It does no good owning up if you make the same mistakes over and over. We'll see if he keeps his word and fixes his mistakes and makes adjustments.

For all the time Frank has been around football, these mistakes shouldn’t even be happening in the first place.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That’s cool and all, and I’m a Reich fan, but it’s kind of alarming if he actually does want to continue to using Jacoby like that.

Yea, i saw that result coming before the ball was snapped.

Reich just has these “i gotta get cute” moments.

Not on par with Pagano’s famous play, but still headscratchers for sure.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I have enjoyed his aggressive nature on 4th downs, however, as a coach I would take the points every time unless it was going to be the last play of the game of course!

It’s driving me crazy, these coaches throwing points away in the name of trendy “aggressive / analytics” bravado.

Reich, 3 pts and a 2 score lead on the road squandered away.  Dallas, gimme 3 pts for the tie, squandered.  Broncos, lose by 2, squandering 3 pts early, again in the name of “aggression”.  Quite frankly, each and every one of those three decisions, I call coaching stupidity.  I wish Dungy would speak out on his thoughts on those three decisions.  Pretty sure the HOFer would say, take the damn points!

Remember the Colts march to the SB in the 2006 season, vs the favoured Ravens in the playoffs, 15-6, Colts win.  FIVE FGs.  Colts lose this game with today’s coaching in the name of aggressive bravado.  Grab a brain, new age coaches!

• Thanks 1

The 4th and 1 with Hines was closer to 4th and 2.

You would think Frank would have learned his lesson in the 6-0 shutout game in Jacksonville.  After going for it on 4th in that game, he said something to the effect you need to keep the positive momentum going on the road.  4th and 2?  Get the 3.  10-0 feels pretty good on the road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since Luck retired Reich has had a hard time getting players prepared and himself prepared . Just look back to the Miami game last year where he had hoyer play with no preparation. That was a huge turning point in the season. It’s kind of a on going theme. Even if you look back st the last game of 2018  and the playoffs that year. We win the first playoff game but the offense sputtered in the second half even with Luck. Then the team was not prepared for KC.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, #12. said:

You would think Frank would have learned his lesson in the 6-0 shutout game in Jacksonville.  After going for it on 4th in that game, he said something to the effect you need to keep the positive momentum going on the road.  4th and 2?  Get the 3.  10-0 feels pretty good on the road.

It seems like Reich just pushes the limits of "cuteness" many times.   The Brissett play was a huge risk.   The play didn't even look ready for real game action.  Using Hines up the middle on 4th and 1.5 yards was also odd.  I think Hines was the only RB in there so the Jags knew who was getting it.  

Reich is a fraud and embarrassment of a coach. Only coach worse than him IMO is Adam Gase of the Jets. I literally wouldn't blink an eye if he was fired today. Absolutely has no idea how to coach a team. He can take Eberflus with him IMO and leave at the end the year.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Reich is a fraud and embarrassment of a coach. Only coach worse than him IMO is Adam Gase of the Jets. I literally wouldn't blink an eye if he was fired today. Absolutely has no idea how to coach a team. He can take Eberflus with him IMO and leave at the end the year.

:facepalm:

• Thanks 6
3 hours ago, #12. said:

Hines ran the ball the play before and only got a couple yards because JAC was playing the pass on 3rd and 4. I just don't understand the thought process there. 

35 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

And you’re back to overreacting again... I thought you were gonna step away for a while to calm down?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Myles said:

It seems like Reich just pushes the limits of "cuteness" many times.   The Brissett play was a huge risk.   The play didn't even look ready for real game action.  Using Hines up the middle on 4th and 1.5 yards was also odd.  I think Hines was the only RB in there so the Jags knew who was getting it.  

They had just run Hines the play before the 4th and short...and Hines was also in on the JB play as well. For some reason...there was a very concerted effort to use Hines in the RZ. I bet we won't see that much more.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, #12. said:

Agreed.  There are games where you can't afford to settle for field goals.  Jacksonville should not be one of those games.  

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There are 3 absolute false things mentioned here. The fact that you would not blink an eye about his firing caries exactly zero weight on this forum....just sayin...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mod Note:

Please refrain from the personal remarks/shots.

Edit: Also, please refrain from posting comments around kneeling, as that is baiting into a political conversation that has been shown not to be productive on this forum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It seems to me like Reich (and probably Sirianni) are really good at scripting the first drive or so. That first series on Sunday? No nonsense, just scheming guys open and executing screens well.

And not that our game plan always goes bad, just that the cute stuff/weird calls don’t usually happen until those scripted series are over.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

There are 3 absolute false things mentioned here. The fact that you would not blink an eye about his firing caries exactly zero weight on this forum....just sayin...

I agree, however, you supporting him carries zero weight as well. That's a poor argument to insult me with as neither of our opinions are more important than the other. The only difference is you're being positive and I'm being negative. Reich won't react to us and nothing will change because of our comments. It's just a way to vent.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree, however, you supporting him carries zero weight as well. That's a poor argument to insult me with as neither of our opinions are more important than the other. The only difference is you're being positive and I'm being negative. Reich won't react to us and nothing will change because of our comments. It's just a way to vent.

First of all, I did not insult you in any fashion. That is on you. The only insults thrown out were by you, at the coach of my team. Regardless, I will apologize.

I am very aware of how I post. If I was to state how awesome Frank was, how incredible of a coach, and how he is a perfect flawless leader (just trying to portray the opposite of what you stated), that would carry exactly zero weight on this forum as well....and I would expect to get appropriate feedback. 

Remember, it is absolutely within every posters right (within the forum rules) to criticize this team. It is also every posters right (within the forum rules) to criticize someone else's post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can think of a lot of coaches worse than him...Let's see...Jim Mora, Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, Chuck Pagano...20 years of great QB play wasted by playing not to lose. Yes Dungy is a great guy and won a Super Bowl, but didn't you get a little sick of pooch punting from the opponent's 39 on 4th and an inch with Peyton freaking Manning on the team?

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

They had just run Hines the play before the 4th and short...and Hines was also in on the JB play as well. For some reason...there was a very concerted effort to use Hines in the RZ. I bet we won't see that much more.

What makes it worse is the fact that Jax had to think it was highly probable that we ran the ball. At that point in the game , the running game was working well. Add to that the fact that Rivers is an immobile QB , so they could pretty much figure the ball was getting handed off to Hines. That said ... pretty likely they would run behind the left side. IMO... really horrible play call. I don't hate going for it but I do think the play call and personal was terrible.

3 minutes ago, jlid said:

I can think of a lot of coaches worse than him...Let's see...Jim Mora, Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, Chuck Pagano...20 years of great QB play wasted by playing not to lose. Yes Dungy is a great guy and won a Super Bowl, but didn't you get a little sick of pooch punting from the opponent's 39 on 4th and an inch with Peyton freaking Manning on the team?

I meant current, active coaches worse than Reich. Only one I can think of is Adam Gase. Of those you named, I'd take any of them besides Pagano over Reich.