Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our defense is so bad (Crowd: “How bad is it?”)

John Waylon

Just now, krunk said:

The first game of the year is usually like an extension of the preseason.  Game is usually sloppy so I'm not getting all worked up over the bad performance.

Yes they can be, especially in this year.  However, this problem dates back to last year and the only real change in the secondary was Rhodes for Desir so I think it’s fair to be concerned.  I do hope the Colts shake it off though.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes they can be, especially in this year.  However, this problem dates back to last year and the only real change in the secondary was Rhodes for Desir so I think it’s fair to be concerned.  I do hope the Colts shake it off though.

If it continues then yes I'll be upset but I'll watch a couple more games to see our adjustments. 

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

The first game of the year is usually like an extension of the preseason.  Game is usually sloppy so I'm not getting all worked up over the bad performance.

Krunk - Just messing with you here, playing devil's advocate and showing you the other side of the argument:

It's clear -- The Colts defense is bad. SO bad that the Jaguars, in the midst of a pandemic, and no preseason to work out any kinks, went 19 of 20 and 3 TDs, 95% completion percentage. 

It just reminds me of all the years past when the Colts have played zero pass defense. We had great pass defense in '87, '95, and maybe 2 years of Dungy, sorry  folks that's been it. And not only is the Colt pass defense incredibly bad over 95% of the time I can't figure out how that can even be possible!!!! How can recievers be so wide open play after play after play? Year after year after year! Sundays game wasn't that bad other than the pass defense and untimely penalties and the 2 turnovers. Got to clean it up. This team can win 14 games, they can also win 4. Let's see what happens next week.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Hmmmm. Jags didnt play any presesson gsmes either. So either they were not prepared, which is on the coaches. Or the players didnt give a s...t!! Maybe a combination  of both. Starting to see some alarming trends

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Krunk - Just messing with you here, playing devil's advocate and showing you the other side of the argument:

It's clear -- The Colts defense is bad. SO bad that the Jaguars, in the midst of a pandemic, and no preseason to work out any kinks, went 19 of 20 and 3 TDs, 95% completion percentage. 

But....but....the Colts had no preseason to prepare.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But....but....the Colts had no preseason to prepare.

If the Jags didn't win with our help it would be easy to say that their defense was awful as well.   We went up and down the field on them damn near every drive and only had one punt.  It's not hard at all to say their defense was just as awful. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

If the Jags didn't win with our help it would be easy to say that their defense was awful as well.   We went up and down the field on them damn near every drive and only had one punt.  It's not hard at all to say their defense was just as awful. 

Actually no punts! 
Worries me because aside from the two interceptions, I’m not sure Rivers could have played much better.  

People keep complaning that our defense had no pressure even though we had 3 to 4 sacks.  If there's was anybody who didn't have pressure it was Jacksonville.  They didn't even get one sack and barely even got close to the QB for the whole game.   We really should have won almost without a doubt.  It's a story of not taking advantage of our many opportunities, and also gifting them opportunities through sloppiness. 

44 minutes ago, krunk said:

Up and down the field.  A lot of teams play that style of D.  They let u get to the 20 then buckle down. Its a different game inside the 20. Yards given up is a meaningless stat.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Up and down the field.  A lot of teams play that style of D.  They let u get to the 20 then buckle down. Its a different game inside the 20. Yards given up is a meaningless stat.

We literally lived on their 10 yard line for most of the game and it didn't take us long to get there.  It's not like the drives were long clock eating drives.  Im quite sure they were not comfortable with that.  They didn't play good defense, it's was more like we didn't execute well, and I don't say it was them who caused that. 

The Jags are not a good defense, and I dont think anybody who watched that game thought that they were.   They didn't execute that well themselves.  I'll give them credit for pulling off a few more than we did.   Had we had won the game it would be very easy to point out an insufficient performance from their defense. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Actually the Colts had zero punts.  That’s why the Colts miscues really showed up.  Stopped twice on fourth down, including passing on points one of those times, the two INTs, the missed field goal off the upright.  All that added up.  While the Jags did give up the big yards they made four big plays when they had too.  The two INTs and the fourth down stops.  That’s how the Colts D used to play for years.  Give up yards but make the big plays when you had too.  It’s bend but don’t break at its finest.  

The Colts defense on the other hand made no big plays outside of three sacks.  No INTs or fumbles.  Heck not even a pass break up outside of one pass I think.  

It was an ugly day for the defense and I hope they get better but this is an ongoing problem back to last season with the exact same issues.  That’s why people are so concerned.  

2 hours ago, krunk said:

People keep complaning that our defense had no pressure even though we had 3 to 4 sacks.  If there's was anybody who didn't have pressure it was Jacksonville.  They didn't even get one sack and barely even got close to the QB for the whole game.   We really should have won almost without a doubt.  It's a story of not taking advantage of our many opportunities, and also gifting them opportunities through sloppiness. 

I’m glad somebody pointed this out. People have said our Oline didn’t play well but that is not true. Our line kept Rivers clean other than one play that sticks out where a blitzed up the middle wasn’t picked up, but that one was on the back if I’m not mistaken. A couple bad drops, a couple really bad decisions by Rivers, and a run stuff on fourth down were the worst parts offensively. Defensively it was the usual bad coverage and uncontested passes that lost the game, not the pass rush. Buckner wasn’t great but he played alright, Houston and Autry were both solid. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually the Colts had zero punts.  That’s why the Colts miscues really showed up.  Stopped twice on fourth down, including passing on points one of those times, the two INTs, the missed field goal off the upright.  All that added up.  While the Jags did give up the big yards they made four big plays when they had too.  The two INTs and the fourth down stops.  That’s how the Colts D used to play for years.  Give up yards but make the big plays when you had too.  It’s bend but don’t break at its finest.  

The Colts defense on the other hand made no big plays outside of three sacks.  No INTs or fumbles.  Heck not even a pass break up outside of one pass I think.  

It was an ugly day for the defense and I hope they get better but this is an ongoing problem back to last season with the exact same issues.  That’s why people are so concerned.  

Why is it that we leave points on the board with fourth down failures and FG misses the last couple of years more often? Seems like it happens far too many times to take critical points off the board, the same happened in that 0-6 game at Jacksonville too in 2018 with Luck. Frank may be sending the right message of confidence in his players but Ls over Ws doesn't send the right message of confidence for fans. :2c:

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Why is it that we leave points on the board with fourth down failures and FG misses the last couple of years more often? Seems like it happens far too many times to take critical points off the board, the same happened in that 0-6 game at Jacksonville too in 2018 with Luck. Frank may be sending the right message of confidence in his players but Ls over Ws doesn't send the right message of confidence for fans. :2c:

I don’t disagree with that.  I was just pointing out the Jags more or less played bend but don’t break to perfection and made some big plays on defense.  Good job by them.  The Colts however need to look at the points you raised.

16 hours ago, krunk said:

The problem is that it didn't just look like an extension of the preseason. It looked like an extension of the final several games of last season. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think a lot of times it makes sense to go for it on 4th and short.  The thing is that sometimes I think Frank just out thinks himself on these plays.  

There are a lot of head scratching play calls on 4th and short that I can remember.  I believe one time he tried some sort of weird sweep with the TE.  I believe that weird pass to Luck when they lined him up out wide was a 3rd or 4th and short.  That succeeded but it's still a head scratcher.  This particular time he went with a run up the gut with our 3rd down back.

Meanwhile the play he rarely calls in these situations, the simple QB sneak continues to be one of the most successful yardage plays in the NFL.  

I would say this is probably my biggest complaint about Frank.  On big short yardage situations he seems to think too hard about how he can trick his opponent.  Now sometimes that might work, but the QB sneak works far far more often. 

20 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Gosh when you put it that way it sounds pretty bad.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

We literally lived on their 10 yard line for most of the game and it didn't take us long to get there.  It's not like the drives were long clock eating drives.  Im quite sure they were not comfortable with that.  They didn't play good defense, it's was more like we didn't execute well, and I don't say it was them who caused that. 

The Jags are not a good defense, and I dont think anybody who watched that game thought that they were.   They didn't execute that well themselves.  I'll give them credit for pulling off a few more than we did.   Had we had won the game it would be very easy to point out an insufficient performance from their defense. 

What was the final score? Thats all that matters. Reaction from Ballard after game " oh crap we lost". Reaction of Jags gm after game " oh crap we won".  I think u get my point.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think a lot of times it makes sense to go for it on 4th and short.  The thing is that sometimes I think Frank just out thinks himself on these plays.  

There are a lot of head scratching play calls on 4th and short that I can remember.  I believe one time he tried some sort of weird sweep with the TE.  I believe that weird pass to Luck when they lined him up out wide was a 3rd or 4th and short.  That succeeded but it's still a head scratcher.  This particular time he went with a run up the gut with our 3rd down back.

Meanwhile the play he rarely calls in these situations, the simple QB sneak continues to be one of the most successful yardage plays in the NFL.  

I would say this is probably my biggest complaint about Frank.  On big short yardage situations he seems to think too hard about how he can trick his opponent.  Now sometimes that might work, but the QB sneak works far far more often. 

Right, right decision, wrong play call. If it was 4th and 3, I'd say kick the FG. Maybe even 4th and 2. But 4th and 1 that close to the goal, if you can't convert that then you deserve what you get. Going for that was a no-brainer. Running out Ny Hines? Maybe not so much.

I've heard the defensive scheme described as simple, easy to learn, designed to let players play fast, etc. 

Is it possible that the way Eberflus coaches just isn't challenging enough mentally to keep players engaged and motivated?  They may just be checked out.  They certainly looked like it in critical moments on Sunday.  

2 historically bad performances in two years.  Our talent on the field is much better than that.

Flus sounds like a guy without answers, like coach Pagano at the end.  The fear hasn't entered Matt's eyes yet but the rhetoric is disturbingly similar.

Just my opinion (obviously) and not meant to read as an overreaction or indictment of our players or FO.  Just crossed my mind after watching Eberflus' presser this week.

George Bremer

@gmbremer

Denico Autry had two sacks in the opener. Said having DeForest Buckner in the middle of the line is "a big help," and he's looking for consistency now. Trying to replicate this effort and performance each week. #Colts

11:49 AM · Sep 16, 2020

Archived