Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our defense is so bad (Crowd: “How bad is it?”)

John Waylon

3 hours ago, krunk said:

John Glennon

@glennonsports

#Titans' Byard: Colts underestimated Jags and got caught in a dogfight.

11:34 AM · Sep 16, 2020

I felt like we didn't respect them either

If the Colts didnt respect them. Man oh man is this team not even close to championship material. We better take a deep look at what type of players we r drafting. People call me negative and  I was far more pessimistic than a lot of people going into the season. I am actually a big Reich fan. After that, I am not sold on the rest in the organization and that includes Ballard.

Okay Eberflus here is your defensive education tip for the day. You place your defensive backfield in locations where there is some chance of them getting between the opposing quarterback and his receivers. Then you tell these d-backs to either knock down any passes near them of if possible catch them. Pass defense is not just a tackling exercise. This is just plain unentertaining and ugly. You know, kind of like frank during the anthem. 

28 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly, I didn't realize how bad our pass defense was till I read this article showing how horrendous it truly has been the last couple years.

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-must-alter-pass-defense-approach-to-become-championship-contender/

Thanks for sharing this article. Here are a few takeaways that I got from it:

"In 2018 and 2019—the first two seasons with Eberflus leading the defense—the Colts became the first team in NFL history to allow opposing quarterbacks to complete at least 70 percent of their passes in consecutive seasons."

and

"One NFL assistant coach commented last season that “the Colts defense is very easy to figure out…simplest defense we play all year by far.”

41 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Thanks for sharing this article. Here are a few takeaways that I got from it:

"In 2018 and 2019—the first two seasons with Eberflus leading the defense—the Colts became the first team in NFL history to allow opposing quarterbacks to complete at least 70 percent of their passes in consecutive seasons."

and

"One NFL assistant coach commented last season that “the Colts defense is very easy to figure out…simplest defense we play all year by far.”

Wow, I had not seen these numbers, but they are consistent with what many people have been saying about the Colts' defense. This is my biggest concern about the team moving forward - especially after they gave up the 19 of 20 passing performance Sunday. I think this is also what the media should be asking about -- how is this going to get fixed? 

Archived