Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign kicker Matt Gay to ps

I think it is a good idea to keep a Kicker on the PS, especially this year.

I don't think this has much to do with Blankenship missing a FG in week 1.

Unless he completely falls of the rails, I think the job is his for the year.

Sign Gay to keep a guy in case Blank comes down with the Covid.

• Like 6

Doubt he will get nearly as long of a leash as Adam did.  I also thinking clanking the chip shot off the upright was probably concerning to Ballard.  Still he’s a rookie and they do that sort of thing.  The rest of his kicks were right down the middle.  Still he can’t miss many more ones like he did Sunday.  

Matt Gay only hit 77% of Fgs last year and missed 5 XPs.

29yds > 6-6

30-39ds 5-7

40-49yds 11-14

50yds+ 5-8

27-35 total

43-48 XPs

He was a rookie last year, so he is a young guy. Not great stats, but I'm sure there is room for improvement.

Gay is good insurance for sure.

Blankenship is definitely going to need to make his kicks. Like all kickers, but I don't think if he misses another kick next week he will get cut or anything.

As long as he isn't costing us games I think he is safe. All misses are not game losing.

Like yesterday, that missed kick didnt cost us game(still would of needed TD at the end). Rivers poor decisions, play calling and bad defense lost us that game. Not to mention the decision to not take the 10-0 lead and give Blank a chance to start of his career on an easy one.

He seemed to kick better from left hash than right.

Edit: Will add also, it was his first live action, no preseason action really eliminated live reps. I'll give him a pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doubt he will get nearly as long of a leash as Adam did.  I also thinking clanking the chip shot off the upright was probably concerning to Ballard.  Still he’s a rookie and they do that sort of thing.  The rest of his kicks were right down the middle.  Still he can’t miss many more ones like he did Sunday.  

Nobody will have that long of a leash.

AV earned it though.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Nobody will have that long of a leash.

AV earned it though.

Agreed.  Replacing a good kicker is harder than it looks so I can see why they were hoping against hope he’d figure it out.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Vinny only hit on 77.1% of his kicks his rookie year

Adam also said he was one more miss away from getting cut his rookie year.  Life as a rookie kicker in the NFL is hard.  They often struggle.  So GMs have to be really good about figuring out to stick with them or cut them loose.

1 hour ago, B~Town said:

Anyone know how many kickers were protected on the ps last week?

As of Sep 6th:

K: Nick Folk, Justin Rohrwasser, Cody Parkey, Tucker McCann, Dominik Eberle, Ryan Santoso, Brett Maher, Cairo Santos,

P: Corliss Waitman, Brandon Wright, Arryn Siposs, Cameron Nizialek, Richie Leone,

K/P: Kaare Vedvik

EDIT: I listed K/P that were on week 1 practice squads. I didn't notice the question was about "protected" kickers. My bad!

Edited by Dogg63
  • Like 2

Remember Hot Rod wasn't the only kicker to miss a field goal or extra point this week that list includes:

Bengals, titans, eagles, chargers, Bills, Washington football team, Colts, Steelers, Rams, Falcons, Bucs, Lions, Cardinals, Cowboys, Texans

That's 15 teams almost half the league had missed or had a field goal/ extra point blocked. I think the lack of preseason has affected special teams play

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Gay won the Lou Groza award in college as well.....

Sidenote: Why are we working out long snappers? Is this s covid precaution or is Rhodes hurt?

Maybe, I've noticed quite a few teams have LS on their protected list as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

As of Sep 6th:

K: Nick Folk, Justin Rohrwasser, Cody Parkey, Tucker McCann, Dominik Eberle, Ryan Santoso, Brett Maher, Cairo Santos,

P: Corliss Waitman, Brandon Wright, Arryn Siposs, Cameron Nizialek, Richie Leone,

K/P: Kaare Vedvik

EDIT: I listed K/P that were on week 1 practice squads. I didn't notice the question was about "protected" kickers. My bad!

That is alot more than I realized thanks

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Rhodes snaps coming under microscope after last season (Vinny deserves the blame but placement of snaps may have contributed, not sure if anyone here has broken down tape of all the misses, if so would love to hear insight).

Just maybe we miss Boomstick a little more than thought starting last season? 

• Like 2
On 9/15/2020 at 3:57 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I would say. if you watch the kick, the left side of the line got blown up. Glowinski didnt have a strong block, and Stewart got knocked right down, into the path of the ball almost. The guys he was blocking came right through and that can affect a kicker especially if they are trying to angle it around them