Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor Named Starter/Expectations Change (MERGE)

Colts coach Frank Reich said Jonathan Taylor will be the starter at running back moving forward.

He'll replace Marlon Mack, who the Colts will soon move to season-ending injured reserve with a torn Achilles'. Reich also said Nyheim Hines will still be "a big part of the offense" and Jordan Wilkins will also "have a role." Hines and Taylor split snaps (20) in the second half without Mack on Sunday and are both expected to stay heavily involved as early as Week 2 against the Vikings. Hines should be a priority addition on waiver wires whereas Taylor remains poised to explode as a low-end RB1 for the rest of the season.

RELATED: 

Nyheim Hines

SOURCE: Kevin Bowen on Twitter

Sep 14, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

• Like 3
  • Indyfan4life changed the title to Not unexpected: Taylor named starter

87 yards after throwing the game plan out the window. Although he was inefficient in the run game, he was explosive when in open space and a bigger contributor in the passing game than expected. As long as the line does their job (complete faith they will), he can be a favorite for OROY. Very excited to see him get to work 

So, throughout the offseason everyone discussed the expectations for Taylor for this season.  We did this with the idea that he would split carries with a healthy Mack.  Now that Mack is gone for the season and he is the starter, how have your expectations changed?

Personally, I have been on the train that he would be a 1,000 yard back and I still feel that way.  But now I feel that it would be him not meeting expectations if he gets less than that.  I feel that a good season for him, based on what I expect and what he has shown is the following:

1,200 yards rushings

500 yards receiving 

10 combined touchdowns

Thoughts?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So, throughout the offseason everyone discussed the expectations for Taylor for this season.  We did this with the idea that he would split carries with a healthy Mack.  Now that Mack is gone for the season and he is the starter, how have your expectations changed?

Personally, I have been on the train that he would be a 1,000 yard back and I still feel that way.  But now I feel that it would be him not meeting expectations if he gets less than that.  I feel that a good season for him, based on what I expect and what he has shown is the following:

1,200 yards rushings

500 yards receiving 

10 combined touchdowns

Thoughts?

That stat line would make it one of the better rookie seasons in NFL history, around where Kareem Hunt was a few years ago. I think it is possible and would make him an OROY finalist. 

18 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm not sure what it was but him running up the gut was a bit disappointing. Maybe it was poor blocking? I hope things are better this time around.

I think our o line in general played poorly. Idk if it's because of no preseason and a weird off season or what but the definitely underwhelmed game 1

16 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

I think our o line in general played poorly. Idk if it's because of no preseason and a weird off season or what but the definitely underwhelmed game 1

Last year, I thought the o line looked surprisingly bad in the preseason before playing well when the season opened. I'm hoping they'll pick up their play considerably over the next couple of games.  

42 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I'm not sure what it was but him running up the gut was a bit disappointing. Maybe it was poor blocking? I hope things are better this time around.

Why poor blocking?  They had only 6 pressures on 50 drop backs and 0 sacks.

We averaged 5.1 ypc when Taylor wasn't running the ball.  Is it  possible that the RB didn't do a good job running the ball.  It seems more like  likely when you analyze the data.  

2 hours ago, TheMose said:

87 yards after throwing the game plan out the window. Although he was inefficient in the run game, he was explosive when in open space and a bigger contributor in the passing game than expected. As long as the line does their job (complete faith they will), he can be a favorite for OROY. Very excited to see him get to work 

Kansas City has a rookie RB that's likely to take those honors barring injury.  

But the chance that any of them will win OROY will depend on how well Joe Burrow performs over the course of the season.  

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We averaged 5.1 ypc when Taylor wasn't running the ball.  Is it  possible that the RB didn't do a good job running the ball.  It seems more like  likely when you analyze the data.  

Another way to look at it is that the Colts got 44 yards rushing in the first quarter on six carries, an average of 7.3 per run. But after that, they struggled. In his two second quarter carries, Mack got three yards and minus three yards. In the second, third and fourth quarters combined, the Colts gained 44 rushing yards on 16 carries, an average of 2.75 per carry. I don't think the way the running game got stuffed after the first quarter is all on the rookie, Taylor. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I didn't see the holes open up later in the game that I saw in the first quarter.

I think they should have considered running it outside as opposed to inbetween the tackles.  

• Like 1
  • Shive changed the title to Jonathan Taylor Named Starter/Expectations Change (MERGE)
22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I didn't see the holes open up later in the game that I saw in the first quarter.

I think they should have considered running it outside as opposed to inbetween the tackles.  

Taylor isn’t good at making the edge.  Looked like it in the game and I looked at his college grade and it said that he wasn’t good at.  He also is rated average at vision and isn’t particularly suited for the stretch play.  What he’s good at is initial burst and downhill running.

i felt after watching the cut ups that there were more than 22 yds available on his carries.  He was running into the back of engaged linemen.  The vision  seemed suspect.

People are going to appreciate Marlon Mack I think now.

3 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

Was it just me or did I see Pinter taking some reps on  the inside?

6 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Was it just me or did I see Pinter taking some reps on  the inside?

He was playing TE reporting eligible 5 times. 

Starters played 100% of snaps together.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/9/14/21435999/colts-snap-counts-vs-jaguars-week-1

OFFENSE

It comes as no surprise that the starting offensive line played every snap together.

A Castonzo T 74 100%
Q Nelson G 74 100%
B Smith G 74 100%
M Glowinski G 74 100%
R Kelly C 74 100%

What was potentially interesting about the offensive line is that the coaching staff chose to bring in Danny Pinter as a sixth lineman on a few occasions, as opposed to adding a tackle like Le’Raven Clark. Pinter is a rookie who was getting some attention in training camp and who clearly has earned the early confidence of the coaching staff.

D Pinter G 5 7%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Kansas City has a rookie RB that's likely to take those honors barring injury.  

But the chance that any of them will win OROY will depend on how well Joe Burrow performs over the course of the season.  

Its been 1 week. I'm not crowning CEH the OROY yet. It will be a battle between those 3 in my opinion and maybe Herbert depending on how soon he takes over

• Like 1
12 hours ago, w87r said:

He was playing TE reporting eligible 5 times. 

Starters played 100% of snaps together.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/9/14/21435999/colts-snap-counts-vs-jaguars-week-1

OFFENSE

It comes as no surprise that the starting offensive line played every snap together.

A Castonzo T 74 100%
Q Nelson G 74 100%
B Smith G 74 100%
M Glowinski G 74 100%
R Kelly C 74 100%

What was potentially interesting about the offensive line is that the coaching staff chose to bring in Danny Pinter as a sixth lineman on a few occasions, as opposed to adding a tackle like Le’Raven Clark. Pinter is a rookie who was getting some attention in training camp and who clearly has earned the early confidence of the coaching staff.

D Pinter G 5 7%

I'm not crazy... I thought I saw him a few times during the game. 

Just now, w87r said:

He played 5 snaps.

That's 5 more than I expected. Happy for him, hopefully he continues to develop and makes his mark. Pretty rare to see fellow Ball State alums make it to the big time. 

• Like 3
Just now, RollerColt said:

That's 5 more than I expected. Happy for him, hopefully he continues to develop and makes his mark. Pretty rare to see fellow Ball State alums make it to the big time. 

They used him in the roll that I kinda expected. 6th lineman lined up as TE.

Seems as if the team really likes him and especially his versatility.

Literally can play all over the line of scrimmage, + TE.

I fully expect him to have a catch here and there throughout the season too. Big formation PA pass to him.?

Definitely nice to see him get some early action. Not too many Ball State guys move on and produce at the next level. Will be interesting to follow his progress throughout the year, see if he can end up taking over the RG spot, if not this year, next.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, w87r said:

They used him in the roll that I kinda expected. 6th lineman lined up as TE.

Seems as if the team really likes him and especially his versatility.

Literally can play all over the line of scrimmage, + TE.

I fully expect him to have a catch here and there throughout the season too. Big formation PA pass to him.?

Definitely nice to see him get some early action. Not too many Ball State guys move on and produce at the next level. Will be interesting to follow his progress throughout the year, see if he can end up taking over the RG spot, if not this year, next.

Agreed. And I think Newsome was probably the last one to have an impact. Though he didn't last too long with us, and is now in the Canadian league. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. And I think Newsome was probably the last one to have an impact. Though he didn't last too long with us, and is now in the Canadian league. 

Is Willie Snead still in the NFL?

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Is Willie Snead still in the NFL?

Sure is! He's still with the Ravens. Even had a touchdown against Cleveland this past weekend. Good memory Myles, I forgot about him.

One of the talking heads over at nfl.com selected Taylor as his pick to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. I am digging that prediction even more now.  He looks blazing fast to me and impressive in his roll as a pass catcher too.   I think Taylor is going to emerge as a stud!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TheMose said:

Its been 1 week. I'm not crowning CEH the OROY yet. It will be a battle between those 3 in my opinion and maybe Herbert depending on how soon he takes over

I agree, it's likely going to be between those 3.  

Burrow will take it if he plays well just because he's a QB.  

If not than it's between CEH and JT.  CEH plays on really high powered offense and isn't going to see boxes stacked against him that much.  

If I'm being fair I am giving CEH the edge in that contest.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Let's not forget, mack backed up Gore before becoming starter. Let these guys take their lumps and get going. 

You cant say Ballard wasn't worried about Mack's health when he drafted Taylor. 

There are a lot of reasons to draft Taylor no matter what Mack's health is.  

This team is aiming to run the ball a lot behind the OL, you are going to want more than one good RB to do that job.  Taylor was an explosive back who fell so he provided good value at that point in the draft.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree, it's likely going to be between those 3.  

Burrow will take it if he plays well just because he's a QB.  

If not than it's between CEH and JT.  CEH plays on really high powered offense and isn't going to see boxes stacked against him that much.  

If I'm being fair I am giving CEH the edge in that contest.  

I agree completely. CEH is in an perfect situation but I don't think JT is that far off. I like our line better, our scheme should fit him perfectly, Rivers will give him more targets than he has ever seen, and I think Taylor is just an overall better RB than CEH. CEH just has the advantage of Patrick Mahomes and arguably the best offense in the league. 

24 minutes ago, TheMose said:

I agree completely. CEH is in an perfect situation but I don't think JT is that far off. I like our line better, our scheme should fit him perfectly, Rivers will give him more targets than he has ever seen, and I think Taylor is just an overall better RB than CEH. CEH just has the advantage of Patrick Mahomes and arguably the best offense in the league. 

But that is a big advantage.  Against the Chiefs teams would **like** to stop Mahomes and make the run game beat them.  Against the Colts it's the opposite.  I'm guessing teams would rather try to force Rivers to win the game.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

But that is a big advantage.  Against the Chiefs teams would **like** to stop Mahomes and make the run game beat them.  Against the Colts it's the opposite.  I'm guessing teams would rather try to force Rivers to win the game.  

Definitely is a huge advantage. That's why I still give the edge to CEH. Although he had some timely INTs, I think Rivers passing for 360 yards was reassuring that our passing game can be efficient as well. And it helps Taylor knowing a good amount of those yards will be going to the RB position. CEH had zero catches, although I believe that is an anomaly and unlikely to repeat, its worth mentioning.