Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

On 9/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, danlhart87 said:

Several teams played awful yesterday including our Colts but ill start making a list of teams primed for that #1 pick

 

Browns 

Jets 

Buccaneers (Brady didn't look great)

Falcons 

Colts (Just based on Week 1)

Texans 

 

The race is on folks 

Anybody else yall can name go ahead 

 

Vikings :goodluck:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 9:18 AM, chad72 said:

Panthers are worse than the Falcons, and if they lose CMC to any period of time, just like they got Cam with the #1 pick, they probably land Lawrence with their #1 pick.

 

I doubt it. Teddy has played fine without CMC. Now that CMC is coming back, they should win more games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Some more miscellaneous thoughts to share.

 

You're so convinced Reich is terrible.    You always cite what happened with him in San Diego.   Funny how you give him no credit for what happened with him in Philadelphia.   If memory serves, the Eagles recently won that big game at the end of the year.   What do they call that?    Oh, yes.    The Super Bowl.    You give Frank no credit for that.   Why?    Because it destroys your argument.   That's what you do,  you play up anything that supports you,  while either playing down or ignoring anything that hurts your argument.    You think Frank is what he is.   You give him no credit for 2018 because you didn't like one game,  the last game of the year.    So you act like the rest of the season didn't happen. 

 

Players, and even coaches can improve over time,  given better players and better opportunities.

 

Pete Carroll was a poor NFL coach, having been fired at his first two HC jobs.   But his run at USC was so great,  he earned another shot.   Did you know his first two years in Seattle were 7-9?   Wasn't until his third years when the Seahawks became great.   And he's been a great coach there ever since,  9 years.    How did that happen?   

 

Andy Reid had a reputation as the best coach never to win the big game for more than 2 decades.  Then he won the Super Bowl.   How'd that happen?    Oh, he got much better players!    Who knew?

 

Sean Payton was a great coach and then went 7-9 three straight years.    Did he become bad overnight?    No,  the Saints front office put them in terrible Salary Cap Hell for those three years.  Funny how he got smart again once the salary cap issues went away and they drafted better.

 

Mike McCarthy was a very good coach in GB.   Won a Super Bowl.   Now they're calling for his head in Dallas in his first year as the Cowboys have been destroyed by a ton of key injuries including the loss of three starting OL.   And now Dak.   He didn't get dumb overnight.    There have been issues out of his control.   Sometimes stuff like that happens. 

 

Heck, Bill Belichick is suddenly mortal now that Tom Brady is gone and he's got Cam Newton.

 

Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay were the two hottest OC's in the NFL a few years ago.   As the OC,  Shannahan blew the last few minutes of a Super Bowl his team should have won.   Now he's the HC in San Fran,  and he blew the 4th quarter of the SB against KC.    For one of the better offensive minds,  Shannahan is 0-2 in the 4th quarter of the two biggest games of his career.    And McVay has struggled these past few years as the team has shed talent due to salary cap issues.   But he too got out coached in the SB.    Apparently football is hard.   It's much more than a bunch of stats.   Even Next Gen Stats.

 

My point,  even the best minds have trouble from time to time.   People who know football understand this.   People who only know stats,  well,  don't.   If you're willing to accept my "likes",  then you have to be willing to accept my lesser emoji's as well.    You can't have it your way all the time.

 

Oh....    one last thought....    I've posted this repeatedly,  but you seem to have missed it.   I'm not posting very much this year because I can't see the games.    I won't go to a sports bar to watch until we're past Covid.   I'm hoping for 2022.   I think '21 is still doubtful.    So, I'm only seeing maybe 15-25 percent of the snaps on the NFL Network and the Red Zone.  With that little viewing,  I don't have much to add.    I read what I can in the media and here on this website.   But since I don't care as much about this season as most here,  I thought it would be better if I posted less. 

 

Yeah....  I miss you too!

 

I'll say my thoughts on the Reich situation.

 

I think he's a bad coach. He's basically like Pagano in how he acts and how he coaches with a little more knowledge of the game. However, he's extremely predictable and conservative and both the offense and defense suffer as a result. 

 

As far as his time in Philly goes winning a SB. I believe most of that was due to the surprise factor of Foles starting in the playoffs with little to no film on him and him also being one of the best backups in the league in combination with that. Reich didn't really carry him in the playoffs. If you want to argue he carried Wentz, or was a big part of it, that's fine, but Foles was basically Brissett, and he caught fire because of little sample size on him IMO with a great team around him.

 

It would be like in 2019 if Luck didn't retire, played the season out, went 13-3 like the Eagles, got injured for the rest of the season, and Brissett came in and won the SB for us. Would it be possible? Of course, with a small sample size like teams also had on Foles. Brissett did well his first half of the year, once teams figured him out, he was done, and Ballard agreed by signing Rivers. Foles is the same way, he succeeded because of little sample size, and now he is the starter for the Bears and struggling offensively on a team with a worse offense than the Colts.

 

Reich is good with QBs like Wentz and Luck, but what Coach or coordinator wouldn't be? Foles was good in a limited sample size and now he's awful, same with Brissett for 7 games. Reich went 10-6 in 2018 with Luck after starting 1-5 (which is worse than Pagano most of his time here), 7-9 with Brissett after starting 5-2 with him, and he is now 4-2 after the really easy part of our schedule which doesn't sound bad, but we have made it look really hard.

 

To me, he is a mediocre coach, and if you watched a Frank Reich coached game from an Adam Gase coached game, you really wouldn't see much difference to be honest. We just have a lot more talent and don't use it well on either side of the ball, and that's a coaching issue. You can comeback with our defense rating all you want. We haven't faced hardly any good QBs, tough opponents, or tough offenses yet. We face the Browns and Bengals, and the defense completely falls apart. I'd like to see how you react when this team goes through the 2nd half our schedule.

 

IMO, if we miss the playoffs, I'd fire Reich at the end of the season. I could also go on about how he wasted Kelly and now probably Eason this year with an offseason coming up where Eason will be the only QB under contract, but that horse has been beaten to death. It'd probably be better for this team IMO if Reich was given his walking papers unless he can do better things with this team. I don't buy into him at all, and the next 9 games will be a big indicator if he deserves to stay beyond 2020.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Reich might not be the best but he's certainly better than Adam Gase. 

I agree, Reich is mediocre, and Adam Gase is the worst coach in the NFL. However, their coaching styles are very similar. Predictable, conservative, and boring. The only differences in the two are Reich has a better attitude, more talent around him, and the players play hard for him. As far as actual coaching ability, there's not much difference.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

 

I doubt it. Teddy has played fine without CMC. Now that CMC is coming back, they should win more games. 

 

It would be different if you told me this 1 month ago when I made this comment, when the Panthers were looking shaky and then they turned things around as a team, not just QB. We knew Teddy had a good floor, just did not expect Mike Davis to fill in admirably and their HC Matt Rhule to turn things around.

 

Hindsight with the benefit of results is always 20/20. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On a scale of bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, great - I put Reich at worse above average. With Luck he was good - a very good/great QB makes a difference. He has a good track record as well with Philly. His record with us is 22-18 counting the playoffs = above average. IMO he is nothing like Chuck, Reich will go for it on 4th down at times even, he is much more bolder but he can't win with some of the fans. He goes for it and doesn't get it, some hate it, he settles for 3 some hate it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Some more miscellaneous thoughts to share.

 

You're so convinced Reich is terrible.    You always cite what happened with him in San Diego.   Funny how you give him no credit for what happened with him in Philadelphia.   If memory serves, the Eagles recently won that big game at the end of the year.   What do they call that?    Oh, yes.    The Super Bowl.    You give Frank no credit for that.   Why?    Because it destroys your argument.   That's what you do,  you play up anything that supports you,  while either playing down or ignoring anything that hurts your argument.    You think Frank is what he is.   You give him no credit for 2018 because you didn't like one game,  the last game of the year.    So you act like the rest of the season didn't happen. 

 

Players, and even coaches can improve over time,  given better players and better opportunities.

 

Pete Carroll was a poor NFL coach, having been fired at his first two HC jobs.   But his run at USC was so great,  he earned another shot.   Did you know his first two years in Seattle were 7-9?   Wasn't until his third years when the Seahawks became great.   And he's been a great coach there ever since,  9 years.    How did that happen?   

 

Andy Reid had a reputation as the best coach never to win the big game for more than 2 decades.  Then he won the Super Bowl.   How'd that happen?    Oh, he got much better players!    Who knew?

 

Sean Payton was a great coach and then went 7-9 three straight years.    Did he become bad overnight?    No,  the Saints front office put them in terrible Salary Cap Hell for those three years.  Funny how he got smart again once the salary cap issues went away and they drafted better.

 

Mike McCarthy was a very good coach in GB.   Won a Super Bowl.   Now they're calling for his head in Dallas in his first year as the Cowboys have been destroyed by a ton of key injuries including the loss of three starting OL.   And now Dak.   He didn't get dumb overnight.    There have been issues out of his control.   Sometimes stuff like that happens. 

 

Heck, Bill Belichick is suddenly mortal now that Tom Brady is gone and he's got Cam Newton.

 

Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay were the two hottest OC's in the NFL a few years ago.   As the OC,  Shannahan blew the last few minutes of a Super Bowl his team should have won.   Now he's the HC in San Fran,  and he blew the 4th quarter of the SB against KC.    For one of the better offensive minds,  Shannahan is 0-2 in the 4th quarter of the two biggest games of his career.    And McVay has struggled these past few years as the team has shed talent due to salary cap issues.   But he too got out coached in the SB.    Apparently football is hard.   It's much more than a bunch of stats.   Even Next Gen Stats.

 

My point,  even the best minds have trouble from time to time.   People who know football understand this.   People who only know stats,  well,  don't.   If you're willing to accept my "likes",  then you have to be willing to accept my lesser emoji's as well.    You can't have it your way all the time.

 

Oh....    one last thought....    I've posted this repeatedly,  but you seem to have missed it.   I'm not posting very much this year because I can't see the games.    I won't go to a sports bar to watch until we're past Covid.   I'm hoping for 2022.   I think '21 is still doubtful.    So, I'm only seeing maybe 15-25 percent of the snaps on the NFL Network and the Red Zone.  With that little viewing,  I don't have much to add.    I read what I can in the media and here on this website.   But since I don't care as much about this season as most here,  I thought it would be better if I posted less. 

 

Yeah....  I miss you too!

 

TLDR except for you opening. Frank didn't call plays in Philly. 

 

I've said he's had some bad game plans, (which he has). I've said I don't like some of his play calling, which many others have also questioned. I've also said the jury is still out on him. Sorry, being a sunshine pumper isn't a requirement for being a fan. I've also said I hope I'm wrong, and things change.

 

Why don't you actually debate Reich's game plan quality, or play calling specifics, to argue your point, instead of being anecdotal and off topic running around the NFL talking about unrelated coaches and organizations. That's a lot of effort to basically say nothing.

 

Lastly, if you're not even watching the games, you're opinion matters little anyway. Seems like your arguing just to be argumentative. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....    this is about Par for you. 

 

You can't make a good argument, so you don't.   Well, at least you know when to punt...

 

Actually, why don't you make a factual and non-anecdotal argument. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

It would be different if you told me this 1 month ago when I made this comment, when the Panthers were looking shaky and then they turned things around as a team, not just QB. We knew Teddy had a good floor, just did not expect Mike Davis to fill in admirably and their HC Matt Rhule to turn things around.

 

Hindsight with the benefit of results is always 20/20. :) 

 

I actually thought this was a new thread. I did not check the date. I realized later that this was an old thread and I had responded to it when it was first posted

 

Anyway, I knew Teddy was not as bad as how all the fans make him out to be. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

TLDR except for you opening. Frank didn't call plays in Philly. 

 

I've said he's had some bad game plans, (which he has). I've said I don't like some of his play calling, which many others have also questioned. I've also said the jury is still out on him. Sorry, being a sunshine pumper isn't a requirement for being a fan. I've also said I hope I'm wrong, and things change.

 

Why don't you actually debate Reich's game plan quality, or play calling specifics, to argue your point, instead of being anecdotal and off topic running around the NFL talking about unrelated coaches and organizations. That's a lot of effort to basically say nothing.

 

Lastly, if you're not even watching the games, you're opinion matters little anyway. Seems like your arguing just to be argumentative. 

 

 

 

Again,  I'm talking about the arguments you make.   Not whether you or I actually agree.    You also made it clear recent when you said you like Reich as a GUY!    The unspoken part in that post is that you don't like him as a play caller.   And despite the fact Reich wasn't the play caller in Philadelphia,  Nick Foles said it was Reich who brought out the best in him.   He gave all the credit for his success toward the Super Bowl to Frank Reich.    Somehow that little tidbit seemed to escape you.    As for Reich the play caller....   see 2018.    That's all I need to say.   Remember,  you're on record (many times) as saying your complaint against Reich that year was the playoff game against KC.   I've never read you complain about the rest of that season.   So, I'll take the rest of that season,  thanks very much.  

 

You want to talk about the games,  OK,  week one.   A personal favorite of yours.   You keep talking about how Reich's game plan was terrible.    Not sure you're even aware that Rivers completed about 80 percent for most of that game.   Honestly,  I seriously doubted he came into the game with the intention of throwing that often.   But when he was that successful,  why stop?     You keep calling it Reich's game plan.   I call it adjusting to what was happening on the field.  

I don't think it was Reich's game plan at all.   But when the running game never got started,  and the passing game worked as well as it did,  that's what happens.    It wasn't the game plan.   Remember,  this was the season with no pre-season games.   Stuff happens.   We paid a price.    But I don't think you understand what you saw,  and you prove it whenever you write about Frank's game plan that week.

 

As for watching the games or not....    Sorry,  but I'm making better arguments with limited viewing that you are making full viewing.    Again, the difference between knowing football and knowing stats.  I said before the season even started not to read too much good or bad into this eason due to Covid.   And so far, that's been true league-wide.   More crazy football than ever before.   Comparing 2020 to any other year is a Fool's Errand.   It means people are not understånding the impact Covid is having.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Actually, why don't you make a factual and non-anecdotal argument. 

 

This back and forth was over a series of quips we exchanged.    There were no facts to add.

 

Again,  your never ending desire to change the discussion to your liking in your never ending quest to always be right.    

I've only been talking about that since you arrived.

 

Sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

This back and forth was over a series of quips we exchanged.    There were no facts to add.

 

Again,  your never ending desire to change the discussion to your liking in your never ending quest to always be right.    

I've only been talking about that since you arrived.

 

Sorry.

When you and E go at it I do this Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 I only wish I could get a cut of the popcorn concessions!!      :thmup:

E is a great edition to the site but he can be stubborn at times like you and I. He thinks he is always right but so do many. You both have my respect along with many others. Superman usually never has any bad posts. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Again,  I'm talking about the arguments you make.   Not whether you or I actually agree.    You also made it clear recent when you said you like Reich as a GUY!    The unspoken part in that post is that you don't like him as a play caller.   And despite the fact Reich wasn't the play caller in Philadelphia,  Nick Foles said it was Reich who brought out the best in him.   He gave all the credit for his success toward the Super Bowl to Frank Reich.    Somehow that little tidbit seemed to escape you.    As for Reich the play caller....   see 2018.    That's all I need to say.   Remember,  you're on record (many times) as saying your complaint against Reich that year was the playoff game against KC.   I've never read you complain about the rest of that season.   So, I'll take the rest of that season,  thanks very much.  

What Foles said is irrelevant. Now had he brought out the best in JB, or brings out the best in Rivers, feel free to use that point. Or, perhaps Reich should stop calling plays, and coach the QBs?

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You want to talk about the games,  OK,  week one.   A personal favorite of yours.   You keep talking about how Reich's game plan was terrible.    Not sure you're even aware that Rivers completed about 80 percent for most of that game.   Honestly,  I seriously doubted he came into the game with the intention of throwing that often.   But when he was that successful,  why stop?     You keep calling it Reich's game plan.   I call it adjusting to what was happening on the field.  

I don't think it was Reich's game plan at all.   But when the running game never got started,  and the passing game worked as well as it did,  that's what happens.    It wasn't the game plan.   Remember,  this was the season with no pre-season games.   Stuff happens.   We paid a price.    But I don't think you understand what you saw,  and you prove it whenever you write about Frank's game plan that week.

How Rivers did week 1 is irrelevant. It was week 1 without a preseason. Rivers was a new QB with little chemistry with skill players. We were playing a team that's bad vs the run. We should have never had a game plan tossing it all over the yard in the first place.

 

If you want to defy logic, fine. You be you lol

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

As for watching the games or not....    Sorry,  but I'm making better arguments with limited viewing that you are making full viewing.    Again, the difference between knowing football and knowing stats.  I said before the season even started not to read too much good or bad into this eason due to Covid.   And so far, that's been true league-wide.   More crazy football than ever before.   Comparing 2020 to any other year is a Fool's Errand.   It means people are not understånding the impact Covid is having.

 

Knowing FB and knowing stats? LOL. You provide very little, and what you do provide is anecdotal. I'd be surprised if you've ever played. And now you are trying to discount all of 2020 lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 8:24 AM, danlhart87 said:

Reich might not be the best but he's certainly better than Adam Gase. 

Somehow I don't think that's much of an endorsement. Almost anyone is better than Gase. lmao

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Myles said:

Current draft order:

Jets

Giants

Jags

Miami (via Houston)

Minnesota

Cincy

Atlanta

Dallas

Washington

LA Chargers

 

I will vomit if the Cowboys get a chance at a top qb

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Myles said:

Current draft order:

Jets

Giants

Jags

Miami (via Houston)

Minnesota

Cincy

Atlanta

Dallas

Washington

LA Chargers

 

In reality, the Texans and Viking have too much talent to be #1 pick players. Washington and Atlanta screwed themselves with a win. The Giants aren't good, but they don't suck. It's going to come down to the Jags Vs the Jets. Bet the Jags wished Rivers wasn't a turnover machine in week 1..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtJax said:

In reality, the Texans and Viking have too much talent to be #1 pick players. Washington and Atlanta screwed themselves with a win. The Giants aren't good, but they don't suck. It's going to come down to the Jags Vs the Jets. Bet the Jags wished Rivers wasn't a turnover machine in week 1..

Anything to keep Lawrence out of Jacksonville 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Erm. maybe in so much that they are both immobile QB's who spread the ball around, but that Rivers throwing motion is reminiscent of no one but Rivers. He could be playing in a plain jersey among 31 other QBs on a field and i could tell you who Rivers was just by looking at his arm.
    • I wouldn't put Campbell anywhere near Hooker at this time.  He was drafted later.   He's been injured with legitimate injuries.  It's hard to blame the GM for that when he didn't have a history of injuries in his past.  Now if Ballard would have taken Metcalf (I wish he would have), who had a neck fracture that ended his college career, and Metcalf would have missed much of 2 seasons with neck issues, it could be placed on the GM for that choice. 
    • OK but there are quite a few convolutions there to get to what seems to be a pretty clear point.  And I guess yeah if this were a debate club, we would need to take each indidual possibility but that is a little tedious to do all at once.   Dan as do I think that we will be better off with Rivers next year than not having Rivers.  One of the pieces I would cite would be the fact that we are 7-3, have navigated the last 3 weeks well, and Rivers seems to be playing at a high level.   So for instance I will argue specifically against Prescott.  He is a guy that IMO would put us squarely on the road to medicrity similar to what has happened in Dallas.  I think it would be worse here because he would command more of the team's resources as far as salary goes compared to what he now does in Dallas, which would mean less money for talent elsewhere.  He has done nothing speical in Dallas and seems to pad a lot of the gaudy numbers in bad losses.   I would say about the same for Deshauwn Watson.  He is younger, but the eye test tells me that his teams have been pretty mediocre with quite a bit of talent.     I don't think either one of these guys would be an upgrade next year, necessarily over Rivers, and I think it would be a huge gamble with the the committment you would have to make with these guys.  You would hamstring your org for years with their salaries if they didn't work out.   What other possibilities do you see out there JP for us to compete NEXT YEAR?
    • People said the same thing when we drafted Leonard. You won't hear them bragging to their buddies about how right they got that evaluation any time soon! Echoing what a few above have already said... Malik who?
    • All but done for the division on.. and a loss to KC will have them fighting hard for that 5th spot (playing the NFC winner) which is what everyone wants outside of the 1 seed I'm guessing. 
  • Members

    • Myles

      Myles 4,388

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pgt_rob

      pgt_rob 2,494

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 13,420

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Flash7

      Flash7 2,711

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chucklez

      Chucklez 999

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 10,775

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 10,546

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Patrick Miller

      Patrick Miller 216

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Rolltide_gocolts

      Rolltide_gocolts 34

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DynaMike

      DynaMike 33

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...