Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The race to #1

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Several teams played awful yesterday including our Colts but ill start making a list of teams primed for that #1 pick

Browns 

Jets 

Buccaneers (Brady didn't look great)

Falcons 

Colts (Just based on Week 1)

Texans 

The race is on folks 

Anybody else yall can name go ahead 

Hands down Browns and Jets, Dolphins may not be far behind. The question is - which team is most likely to abandon its rookie QB - Baker or Sam Darnold?

My dark horse pick is the Panthers. Teddy Bridgewater is just a bridge for the next QB. 

On 9/14/2020 at 3:21 PM, chad72 said:

Hands down Browns and Jets, Dolphins may not be far behind. The question is - which team is most likely to abandon its rookie QB - Baker or Sam Darnold?

My dark horse pick is the Panthers. Teddy Bridgewater is just a bridge for the next QB. 

After two weeks I think we have the answer...It's Darnold. He really doesnt look good, 1 td today in garbage time, and with the Colts castoff roster (Gore, Desir, Quincy Wilson, Basham) 

53 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Falcons are still my team to get 1 

What an absolutely awful loss today 

Yeah but they have to much talent on offense they'll win a couple my pick for #1 is the Eagles, there OL is horrendous this year. I just hope they don't turn Wentz into another Luck.

Panthers are worse than the Falcons, and if they lose CMC to any period of time, just like they got Cam with the #1 pick, they probably land Lawrence with their #1 pick. Joe Brady, who coached Burrow, would not be upset with Trevor Lawrence that he went against in the national championship. 

Jets probably want a do over with Adam Gase. Falcons and Lions probably will be changing head coaches, their offense is good enough but you have to understand the Lions with Golladay are a different team. Falcons also have been scoring plenty, they just could not stop anyone. Dolphins and Browns already have top down buy in into the new head coaches' 2 or 3 year vision and have the talent to stay competitive.

Offensively, Jets are the most challenged and pretty soon, the Panthers will be without CMC, exposing Bridgewater, IMO. My top candidates are Panthers and Jets when it is all said and done. 

I do expect about at least 5 teams with 5 wins or less at the end of the year.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, danlhart87 said:

Would you think they draft Sewell then?

I imagine they will pick the best O-Lineman, or trade down for more picks and grab a Lineman. I don't know any of the college players for next years draft yet, so really can't say anyone in particular.

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

NYJ NYG and ATL fighting for 1

I see no life with Jets if Darnold misses time. Plus, they still have 2 games vs Patriots and 1 game vs Bills and 3 games vs NFC West to play. Their 2 games vs Dolphins will be their best chance to win a game. Browns and Raiders probably beat the Jets.

Giants - they have 2 games vs WFT left and play the Bengals too. Plus, the NFC East is trash, so a good shot at winning games there. Their D at least stepped up to the plate vs the Rams.

Falcons have shown no life on defense, Broncos and Lions are the only 2 teams I see them possibly beating.

If I had to place my bets - Jets first, Falcons next, Giants next would be the odds on favorites for #1 pick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 12:59 PM, Fluke_33 said:
On 9/19/2020 at 12:34 PM, danlhart87 said:

If Bengals got #1 I would trade the pick to the highest bidder for Lawrence 

Burrow is no donkey but if Lawrence is the next coming of luck, Manning, elway you can trade burrow for a lot too. 

I change my stance.  I wouldn't trade Burrow for anything right now.  Dude is going to be a good one.

If you see teams selling pieces the next could weeks it's obvious as to why. The Jets would be wise to ditch Darnold now and get a #2 pick for him, he's got enough talent to win a couple games. The Redskins will have the Giants to deal with, but if either team sweeps the other the loser will be in prime position. The Texans and Vikings just have too much talent to compete, they both will win at least 5.

My top 10:

Jets

Giants

Atlanta

Jags

Redskins

Chargers

Bronco's

Vikings

Dolphins (From the Texans)

Dolphins/Eagles

Then Lawrence opts to go back to Clemson, like Manning did. History repeats itself..

On 10/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, EastStreet said:

You'd praise Reich for passing gas...  "It's Reich's fart, it must be good"

I like Ballard. I just don't worship him.

Yeah....    this is about Par for you. 

You can't make a good argument, so you don't.   Well, at least you know when to punt...

On 10/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, EastStreet said:

You'd praise Reich for passing gas...  "It's Reich's fart, it must be good"

I like Ballard. I just don't worship him.

Some more miscellaneous thoughts to share.

You're so convinced Reich is terrible.    You always cite what happened with him in San Diego.   Funny how you give him no credit for what happened with him in Philadelphia.   If memory serves, the Eagles recently won that big game at the end of the year.   What do they call that?    Oh, yes.    The Super Bowl.    You give Frank no credit for that.   Why?    Because it destroys your argument.   That's what you do,  you play up anything that supports you,  while either playing down or ignoring anything that hurts your argument.    You think Frank is what he is.   You give him no credit for 2018 because you didn't like one game,  the last game of the year.    So you act like the rest of the season didn't happen. 

Players, and even coaches can improve over time,  given better players and better opportunities.

Pete Carroll was a poor NFL coach, having been fired at his first two HC jobs.   But his run at USC was so great,  he earned another shot.   Did you know his first two years in Seattle were 7-9?   Wasn't until his third years when the Seahawks became great.   And he's been a great coach there ever since,  9 years.    How did that happen?   

Andy Reid had a reputation as the best coach never to win the big game for more than 2 decades.  Then he won the Super Bowl.   How'd that happen?    Oh, he got much better players!    Who knew?

Sean Payton was a great coach and then went 7-9 three straight years.    Did he become bad overnight?    No,  the Saints front office put them in terrible Salary Cap Hell for those three years.  Funny how he got smart again once the salary cap issues went away and they drafted better.

Mike McCarthy was a very good coach in GB.   Won a Super Bowl.   Now they're calling for his head in Dallas in his first year as the Cowboys have been destroyed by a ton of key injuries including the loss of three starting OL.   And now Dak.   He didn't get dumb overnight.    There have been issues out of his control.   Sometimes stuff like that happens. 

Heck, Bill Belichick is suddenly mortal now that Tom Brady is gone and he's got Cam Newton.

Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay were the two hottest OC's in the NFL a few years ago.   As the OC,  Shannahan blew the last few minutes of a Super Bowl his team should have won.   Now he's the HC in San Fran,  and he blew the 4th quarter of the SB against KC.    For one of the better offensive minds,  Shannahan is 0-2 in the 4th quarter of the two biggest games of his career.    And McVay has struggled these past few years as the team has shed talent due to salary cap issues.   But he too got out coached in the SB.    Apparently football is hard.   It's much more than a bunch of stats.   Even Next Gen Stats.

My point,  even the best minds have trouble from time to time.   People who know football understand this.   People who only know stats,  well,  don't.   If you're willing to accept my "likes",  then you have to be willing to accept my lesser emoji's as well.    You can't have it your way all the time.

Oh....    one last thought....    I've posted this repeatedly,  but you seem to have missed it.   I'm not posting very much this year because I can't see the games.    I won't go to a sports bar to watch until we're past Covid.   I'm hoping for 2022.   I think '21 is still doubtful.    So, I'm only seeing maybe 15-25 percent of the snaps on the NFL Network and the Red Zone.  With that little viewing,  I don't have much to add.    I read what I can in the media and here on this website.   But since I don't care as much about this season as most here,  I thought it would be better if I posted less. 

Yeah....  I miss you too!

Archived