Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Wilkins

JediXMan

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

With Mack done for the season time for him to finally step up and get some reps. I like Hines but I feel like Reich over uses him and under uses Wilkins.

I agree.   I've always liked him.   I'm not sure he'll be as effective with more early carries, but I'm sure we will see.  

Isnt one of the older concerns, prior years were fumble issue? Like if so, I feel like that is one that needs to be removed from, he hasnt had that as much it seems. Hopefully he and Taylor now do the the tandem with Hines still able to be the swiss-army knife. I do not want Hines to tack the Mack position, just as he has so much more to offer in the variety of positions

Time to bring Rosie Nix back. He helps added blocking and also helps the TE as well. This was a TERRIBLE decision by Chris to cut him. I think it is time to try our other TE's. Doyle is old and worn out. MO is still a project which is not going to pan out. I think we should bring Hale Hentges back. He was one TE that Chris misjudged. Somebody is giving him and Reich bad info on the TE's. 

This was to be expected, but I thought I’d post it anyway. 

Colts coach Frank Reich said Jonathan Taylor will be the starter at running back moving forward.

He'll replace Marlon Mack, who the Colts will soon move to season-ending injured reserve with a torn Achilles'. Reich also said Nyheim Hines will still be "a big part of the offense" and Jordan Wilkins will also "have a role." Hines and Taylor split snaps (20) in the second half without Mack on Sunday and are both expected to stay heavily involved as early as Week 2 against the Vikings. Hines should be a priority addition on waiver wires whereas Taylor remains poised to explode as a low-end RB1 for the rest of the season.

RELATED: 

Nyheim Hines

SOURCE: Kevin Bowen on Twitter

Sep 14, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

As long as he can pass protect and occasionally catch, we wont telegraph what we are going to do. So, yes, bring him on.

Heck, we might even bring in Devonta Freeman or Lamar Miller for a visit, who knows!!!

Lamar Miller is coming in for a visit, I heard.

3 hours ago, JediXMan said:

With Mack done for the season time for him to finally step up and get some reps. I like Hines but I feel like Reich over uses him and under uses Wilkins.

Well, Hines is a better receiving back than Wilkins and he is a type of player who Rivers seems to have really liked over the years (similar to a Sproles or Ekeler).  I like Wilkins and think he will have a solid chance to contribute to this team in 2020, especially with Mack out.  That said, I believe Hines is used appropriately as a 3rd down back and as a receiving back.

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

Time to bring Rosie Nix back. He helps added blocking and also helps the TE as well. This was a TERRIBLE decision by Chris to cut him. I think it is time to try our other TE's. Doyle is old and worn out. MO is still a project which is not going to pan out. I think we should bring Hale Hentges back. He was one TE that Chris misjudged. Somebody is giving him and Reich bad info on the TE's. 

Not so sure here.. Reich said he and Sirianni had discussions about having a FB in about 10% of all offensive plays and with the weird offseason they weren't able to implement enough plays or get comfortable enough where a FB would be warranted in this offense.  I doubt they're going to start adding that many plays per game into the playbook that the season is underway.  There were also reports that Nix had a fumbling issue and he's really a good blocker and ST player but never really showed a threat to contribute as a receiver or that he could be a true TE instead of a FB.  

I'm pretty sure I trust Ballard and Reich about their decision to release Hentges and that we should leave the evaluating of who we bring it at TE (if anyone else) up to them.  They also have a better idea of what's going on with Burton than all of us.

27 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Well, Hines is a better receiving back than Wilkins and he is a type of player who Rivers seems to have really liked over the years (similar to a Sproles or Ekeler).  I like Wilkins and think he will have a solid chance to contribute to this team in 2020, especially with Mack out.  That said, I believe Hines is used appropriately as a 3rd down back and as a receiving back.

I can get behind the 3rd down receiving back.   I'm usually disappointed when he gets the hand off on 3rd and short.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wilkins was 4th on the depth chart now with Mack out he is 3rd on the depth chart.  Probably won't lead to many more touches unless JT or Hines gets injured.

I sure hope they don't keep giving Hines more carries than Wilkins (even if they are going to play Hines more). 

Career Stats:

Hines, 144 carries, 541 yards, 3.8 per carry

Wilkins, 111 carries, 643 yards, 5.8 per carry

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I sure hope they don't keep giving Hines more carries than Wilkins (even if they are going to play Hines more). 

Career Stats:

Hines, 144 carries, 541 yards, 3.8 per carry

Wilkins, 111 carries, 643 yards, 5.8 per carry

Yet despite those career stats Hines figures more into their game plan than Wilkins.  Hines is a better receiver, better blocker and runs harder.  Despite 40 times, I think Wilkins is faster though.

But Wilkins goes down to easily on first contact, he is not good when asked to stay in pass protection and last year there were times when he misread the defense and went to the wrong side to block.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yet despite those career stats Hines figures more into their game plan than Wilkins.  Hines is a better receiver, better blocker and runs harder.  Despite 40 times, I think Wilkins is faster though.

But Wilkins goes down to easily on first contact, he is not good when asked to stay in pass protection and last year there were times when he misread the defense and went to the wrong side to block.

Hines makes sense as a receiving back, especially on third down - he's a complement to the lead back, but not a suitable replacement as a secondary rusher when injury hits. What is the value of Hines running harder and not going down as easily when he averages two yards a carry less than Wilkins? That he has powerful, hard-fought three yard runs? 

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Hines makes sense as a receiving back, especially on third down - he's a complement to the lead back, but not a suitable replacement as a secondary rusher when injury hits. What is the value of Hines running harder and not going down as easily when he averages two yards a carry less than Wilkins? That he has powerful, hard-fought three yard runs? 

Yes because he's going to get the tough yards and not just benefit when a huge hole opens.  That is where Wilkins speed is a benefit.  But even when Mack went down, Wilkins got 0 carries.  He may get a couple in the next game but he's not going to see a lot.  And he's not going to take carries away from either JT or Hines.

IMO, Hines plays a different role than Mack. Hines is the 3rd down, receiving type of back/ball carrier. Mack is the primary ball carrier, with Jonathan Taylor as his backup.

Now, I suspect that it will be Jonathan Taylor as the primary ball carrier, with Wilkins as the back up. This will not affect Hines' role, but it should increase carries by Wilkins a little. Again, just my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes because he's going to get the tough yards and not just benefit when a huge hole opens.  That is where Wilkins speed is a benefit.  But even when Mack went down, Wilkins got 0 carries.  He may get a couple in the next game but he's not going to see a lot.  And he's not going to take carries away from either JT or Hines.

We'll see how this plays out over the course of the season. I think the staff will discover that they're going to have problems if Hines gets the second most carries on the team. If not Wilkins, they need to get somebody else to carry part of the load on first and second down. 

Last year's rushing leaders:

Player    Att    Avg.

Mack     247   4.4

Brissett  56     4.1

Hines     52     3.8

Wilkins   51    6.0

Williams 49    4.8

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Why can't hines mostly do returns and be in a 2 RB backfield only? 

Taylor showed Sunday he can catch. 

I feel wilkins has earned his shot. Hines isn't going anywhere. Let's see what wilkins can do already. 

I'm also intrigued why we don't do more two back sets.  I was hoping to see more of that.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:00 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

I never understand why people act so certain in thinking they know what's going to happen. This seemed wrong when you wrote it and their carry totals today were nine carries for Wilkins and zero for Hines. 

Archived