Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mod Note - Choices, Trolling And The Golden Rules

Peytongirl

A few notes.

The post you reference was not made about you (I do not believe).

The black/white comment was made because several posters had problems by getting into racial comments regarding QBs (especially Luck and RG3). It was a no racism reminder, nothing else.

Your veiled reference was not missed, nor appreciated. :sigh: I call Godwin's law.

You can take this suggestion or not, but since you seem to find these reminders offensive...perhaps you would be better served posting in another topic before something is said that cannot be taken back.

That goes for everyone.

As shecolt said, the post was made for everyone's benefit. Nothing more, nothing less. The mods are under no obligation whatsoever to communicate to the members. The rules are posted. It is your responsibility to read and follow them. If you don't, we are charged with the obligation of keeping the forum running smoothly.

You could simply get a pm/email saying you have been warned/suspended/banned and that is that.

Posting rule reminders is not my favorite way of spending a Friday night. ;) Being harangued about doing my job is certainly not high on my list.

:rolleyes:

"We do what we want and what we say goes", then... fair enough.

For the record, it was only a veiled reference to somebody extremely unaware. I made no attempts to hide it, and it was very tongue in cheek.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ok..i realize i have to walk around eggshells around here with what I say..I didn't know it was that serious where people would feel offended about a screen name.. :(:flowers::sorry: :topic: :brady: :unicorn: :star:

No problems. I was just trying to explain to you that others have been singling out PG which is why your post didn't go over well. No one wants anyone to walk on eggshells. Just to show respect and follow the rules.

Thanks for the flowers and glittery unicorn. :)

Oh I've been told I should change mine... I might.. When I think of something I like.

My top 3-5 choices wouldn't fly at this point so I'll stick with good old firejimcaldwell for now.

To tell the truth, I'd miss firejimcaldwell as your name. Much like I miss UndecidedFrog's old avatar.

If you have a problem with a movement shouldn't you try eating more fiber first???

I wonder if they give points for bad jokes.....

We needed these last 3-4 posts. Thanks for the laugh!

I just can't wait until Ms. Maureen sees this tomorrow morning...

:rolleyes:

"We do what we want and what we say goes", then... fair enough.

For the record, it was only a veiled reference to somebody extremely unaware. I made no attempts to hide it, and it was very tongue in cheek.

Couldn't leave it alone... :(

Wow... It seems to have gotten better, but maybe the thread should be closed? If something is really important it can be said elsewhere, right?

It *IS* said elsewhere, namely in the rules. But too many folks forget about them.

I have to say that I am curious as to why some folks want the thread closed. I am not asking. I am simply making an observation.

It *IS* said elsewhere, namely in the rules. But too many folks forget about them.

I have to say that I am curious as to why some folks want the thread closed. I am not asking. I am simply making an observation.

Misunderstanding... I wasn't saying that if a RULE is important it can be said elsewhere, I was saying that it should be left to remind people, but not to be posted on, it was a little crazy there for awhile. Sorry if I annoyed you there, wasn't trying...

Misunderstanding... I wasn't saying that if a RULE is important it can be said elsewhere, I was saying that it should be left to remind people, but not to be posted on, it was a little crazy there for awhile. Sorry if I annoyed you there, wasn't trying...

I gotcha and you didn't annoy me. Sorry if it came across like that. :)

When there is a major rift or a lot of issues in the forum, sometimes we will post a rule reminder. If we have had a big influx of new users or if there has been a big event and folks have gotten used to pushing the limits a little too much, some appreciate the reminder that the rules are there for everyone.

No problems at all. :D

I gotcha and you didn't annoy me. Sorry if it came across like that. :)

When there is a major rift or a lot of issues in the forum, sometimes we will post a rule reminder. If we have had a big influx of new users or if there has been a big event and folks have gotten used to pushing the limits a little too much, some appreciate the reminder that the rules are there for everyone.

No problems at all. :D

Alright then no problem!

Now, let's please keep this back on the original topic and in the spirit in which it was meant. One of being helpful to the community. There are too many exciting things happening that all football fans can get into soon. No need to look for divisions and conflict. It is a new season for us all.

Are you ready for some football? :huthut::cheer:

Reminder

Adhere to the advice and recommendation made to you by the Indianapolis Colts Forum Moderators. Moderators are appointed because they exemplify the characteristics, attitude and values consistent with the standards set for the site. They have been instructed to enforce the code of conduct and prevent the forums from clutter, while encouraging free expression, debate and discussion. While the Indianapolis Colts do allow for a wide range of discussion, please refrain from unfounded charges of censorship or other moderator actions against a member on the grounds that the content was not of his opinion. Content will never be removed based on our own personal views or the validity of the opinion. As a member, you are entitled to form an opinion in opposition of those at the Indianapolis Colts; however, it must not violate the code of conduct. We reserve the right to remove posts in violation without notice.We also reserve the right to take punitive action, up to and including permanent closure of the account, against any member who does not abide by the code of conduct. While the code of conduct covers most common situations, we reserve the right to take any action we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused and continue to facilitate discussion amongst members.

I'm all for providing a good atmosphere for discussion on this forum. As somebody who has received a 24 hr ban before I know it sucked that I had to wait that time out until I could post again. I got the ban for what was deemed as a personal attack (referring to somebody as a coward) after that person had referred to Robert Irsay as a coward. I just wonder if they received the same ban that I got or not?

At another point I was in a discussion with another member about opinions and perceptions. People are going to perceive the same scenario differently. What might be spiteful, trolling, and disrespectful to some WILL NOT be perceived that way by others. So then I guess it is left up to that particular mod to decided what their personal preference is???? I know there are clear cut instances where there is no doubt, but when we find ourselves in the grey areas I guess we can only hope that the mod woke up on the right side of the bed that day.

That being said I hope that I don't receive another ban or "warning points" (whatever that means) for this post.

At another point I was in a discussion with another member about opinions and perceptions. People are going to perceive the same scenario differently. What might be spiteful, trolling, and disrespectful to some WILL NOT be perceived that way by others. So then I guess it is left up to that particular mod to decided what their personal preference is???? I know there are clear cut instances where there is no doubt, but when we find ourselves in the grey areas I guess we can only hope that the mod woke up on the right side of the bed that day.

Behind the scenes:

You would find that very seldom is a decision made by only one moderator. We try to be fair and treat everyone the same so the majority of times it is a group decision. Of course like you said there are times there is no doubt and it's obvious, but that seldom occurs.

I think the majority of times a problem is perceived because of people feeling they are being unfairly treated in regards to another poster. It is not appropriate for any moderator to discuss actions taken with another member of the board, it is your business and no one else's, so it makes it difficult for us to discuss any further action taken with an issue. Therefore it is perceived as favoritism when that really is not the case.

It would be so much easier if everyone would police themselves. We don't like handing out suspensions any more than you like getting them. But we also have a family-friendly board here and standards the Colts management have set that they would like followed. People come here because they want a clean board free from personal attacks and insults, a place to just talk football without the garbage.

Kudos’ to all those who keep the environment of the board within the guidelines, and make this a friendly and welcoming place that we all want to spend time at. :)

I got the ban for what was deemed as a personal attack (referring to somebody as a coward) after that person had referred to Robert Irsay as a coward. I just wonder if they received the same ban that I got or not?

Your first example involves somebody insulting a public figure - and he has been dead for 15 years. Your second example involves somebody directly insulting another member. HUGE difference.

If someone reads a comment that they don't like about a public figure - regardless of how offensive they find it - they can respond 1,000 different polite ways. It's called having a conversation. If someone reads a personal insult it is like a slap in the face. Most people's pride will require that they slap back. Goodbye thread. And if it happens enough, goodbye forum. And it's been happening a LOT.

And when somebody DOES insult you directly (for instance if the other member had called YOU a coward), it's better to just bite your tongue and click the report button. The moderators WILL take care of the problem, and they will do it fairly. But they wouldn't be likely to take up your crusade against the guy who didn't like Bob Irsay, because his comment - while rude - wasn't against forum policy. I've read far worse in recent months from people who hated Bill Polian or Jim Caldwell, and gotten into endless arguments defending them. If I had resorted to personal insults instead, I would have been permanently banned within a month of joining. It's not that a specific word or phrase is banned, it's the ill intent with which they are used.

Your first example involves somebody insulting a public figure - and he has been dead for 15 years. Your second example involves somebody directly insulting another member. HUGE difference.

If someone reads a comment that they don't like about a public figure - regardless of how offensive they find it - they can respond 1,000 different polite ways. It's called having a conversation. If someone reads a personal insult it is like a slap in the face. Most people's pride will require that they slap back. Goodbye thread. And if it happens enough, goodbye forum. And it's been happening a LOT.

And when somebody DOES insult you directly (for instance if the other member had called YOU a coward), it's better to just bite your tongue and click the report button. The moderators WILL take care of the problem, and they will do it fairly. But they wouldn't be likely to take up your crusade against the guy who didn't like Bob Irsay, because his comment - while rude - wasn't against forum policy. I've read far worse in recent months from people who hated Bill Polian or Jim Caldwell, and gotten into endless arguments defending them. If I had resorted to personal insults instead, I would have been permanently banned within a month of joining. It's not that a specific word or phrase is banned, it's the ill intent with which they are used.

If the other member had called me a coward it wouldn't phase me in the least. I get up every morning and put on my big boy pants and don't let people I don't know or don't really care about get me upset. I also don't feel the need to run off and tattle tell on somebody because I might have got my feelings hurt. If somebody is so offended or upset by being called a coward, when there are a TON of worse things you can be called, then they better never leave their bedroom because the world is full of much scarier people and words than in this forum.

If the other member had called me a coward it wouldn't phase me in the least. I get up every morning and put on my big boy pants and don't let people I don't know or don't really care about get me upset. I also don't feel the need to run off and tattle tell on somebody because I might have got my feelings hurt. If somebody is so offended or upset by being called a coward, when there are a TON of worse things you can be called, then they better never leave their bedroom because the world is full of much scarier people and words than in this forum.

People are wired differently. While refusing to be bothered by what other people say is an admirable trait, feeling comfortable with insulting others is not. It's not about who is tougher. I'm not a wimp because I click the report button - I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself - it's an act of self-control intended to help keep the board civil. The bottom line is that this isn't the Indystar forum, which seems to be populated primarily by twelve year olds with sociopathic tendencies. I can't read four posts there without thinking "this is ridiculous" and leaving. All the moderators are doing is asking us to restrict this forum to normal, civil conversation. Don't post anything here that you wouldn't feel comfortable saying to a female coworker with your wife, kids, boss, and the religious leader of your choice standing in the room. This isn't a bar, and oftentimes the most admirable attribute of a tough guy is knowing when not to be.

We as Colts fan are in a huge transition and emotions always play a big part in that in any arena in life.

So, as part of the newly formed O.C.F.F.H.P.M. (Official Colts Fan Forum Hippie Peace Movement), I would like to say "It's all good baby." :highfive:

People are wired differently. While refusing to be bothered by what other people say is an admirable trait, feeling comfortable with insulting others is not. It's not about who is tougher. I'm not a wimp because I click the report button - I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself - it's an act of self-control intended to help keep the board civil. The bottom line is that this isn't the Indystar forum, which seems to be populated primarily by twelve year olds with sociopathic tendencies. I can't read four posts there without thinking "this is ridiculous" and leaving. All the moderators are doing is asking us to restrict this forum to normal, civil conversation. Don't post anything here that you wouldn't feel comfortable saying to a female coworker with your wife, kids, boss, and the religious leader of your choice standing in the room. This isn't a bar, and oftentimes the most admirable attribute of a tough guy is knowing when not to be.

It's not a matter of trying to prove toughness over weakness etc. It's a matter of not allowing people that don't mean anything to me to get me upset. Doesn't prove that I'm any better or any worse than anybody else, like you said people are just wired differently. And while I didn't come out and directly call this individual a name (coward in this case) because I had quoted his post it was taken as a personal attack. I don't resort to name calling as a practice of intimidation, degradation, or anything of the sort. I too have used the report button, only when language was offensive (curse words, or variations of).

I guess I'll just keep any future comments to those who are public figures or are dead because they obviously don't hold a candle to the sacred person behind his computer.

We as Colts fan are in a huge transition and emotions always play a big part in that in any arena in life.

So, as part of the newly formed O.C.F.F.H.P.M. (Official Colts Fan Forum Hippie Peace Movement), I would like to say "It's all good baby." :highfive:

Hey, I tried to think of a clever acronym but it was late and I was drawing blanks.

hippie-tie-dye.gif

Thanks to all for cooling off and bringing some much needed humor and peace back to the forum and back to the thread. :)

Hopefully we can all move on and simply remember why it was posted in the first place - out of concern for all here, so that we can discuss our love of the game in a safe, friendly environment.

There are plenty of places on the internet that you can go and post where it is "no-holds-barred" or whatever that expression is. You can say whatever you like and if you are "man enough to take it", fight, curse and flame each other all day. But this is not one of those places.

All that is asked here is civility and respect. You don't have to like each other. You don't have to agree. But you do have to be respectful in what you do say or else keep it to yourself. You cannot resort to jr. high playground antics.

And just a note to what CS said above, the mods do make almost all decisions as a group. We are very cognizant of when there are personality conflicts. In efforts to be fair, we do our best to let other mods head up a problem if there has been a personal issue with a poster. I can wholeheartedly assure you that we believe in equality and fairness and do our utmost to provide that for everyone. No one is perfect, but we do a good job and I don't mind saying that. I have seen other forums and I have been a mod on this one for a long time. I know what we stand for and I know how hard we all work for you.

That being said...these are for Ruksak and everyone who are starting their peace movements. Cheers!

:hippie: :hippie2: :hippies: :flowers: :cool: :banana:

I just want us all to be able to get along well enough to have civil conversations about football. Simple.

Hugs,

PG

Thanks to all for cooling off and bringing some much needed humor and peace back to the forum and back to the thread. :)

Hopefully we can all move on and simply remember why it was posted in the first place - out of concern for all here, so that we can discuss our love of the game in a safe, friendly environment.

There are plenty of places on the internet that you can go and post where it is "no-holds-barred" or whatever that expression s. You can say whatever you like and if you are "man enough to take it", fight, curse and flame each other all day. But this is not one of those places.

All that is asked here is civility and respect. You don't have to like each other. You don't have to agree. But you do have to be respectful in what you do say or else keep it to yourself. You cannot resort to jr. high playground antics.

And just a note to what CS said above, the mods do make almost all decisions as a group. We are very cognizant of when there are personality conflicts. In efforts to be fair, we do our best to let other mods head up a problem if there has been a personal issue with a poster. I can wholeheartedly assure you that we believe in equality and fairness and do our utmost to provide that for everyone. No one is perfect, but we do a good job and I don't mind saying that. I have seen other forums and I have been a mod on this one for a long time. I know what we stand for and I know how hard we all work for you.

That being said...these are for Ruksak and everyone who are starting their peace movements. Cheers!

:hippie: :hippie2: :hippes: :flower: :cool: :banana:

I just want us all to be able to get along well enough to have civil conversations about football. Simple.

Hugs,

PG

Would reply to this with tons of positive comments; but I am LAZY! So I'll just like your post. By the way, the moderating team here is one of the best I've ever dealt with. Go, you guys! :)

Thanks, Ruksak.

Part of the purpose of the reminder thread is to emphasize the fact that inciting is trolling.

We are all human and have the urge to rise to the bait when it is right there in front of us.

It is easier to retaliate than it is to hit the report button. But we all have to try to be the bigger person.

The mods cannot read every post written. I know there are inciting posts. I see a lot. I delete a lot. I warn for a lot of them. I know all of the mods do. However, it is every poster's responsibility to decide what they type and send. If you respond, you are responsible for what you wrote and you cannot blame anyone for it. Yes, the person that started it deserves (and should be) reprimand based on what he/she wrote. But each person has to be accountable for what he/she posts.

Ruksak, I like your list.

May I add a few words to it?

bandwagon

"real/true" fan

liar

cheater

black/white

All of these are going to be red flags to an already raging bull.

It doesn't have to be kindergarten here, but we can and should be able to act like civil adults. :)

Now where do I sign up for this movement, Ruksak?

how is black/white inciting? Unless your talking about someones race....

My whole thoughts on this thread is that I agree that we should all get along... While I know that this should happen, I also know that some will fall off the wagon from time to time, and I just hope that the Moderation team can take their "personal" feelings on whatever the subject is and put it aside and be fair to both parties in these instances.

A few notes.

The post you reference was not made about you (I do not believe).

The black/white comment was made because several posters had problems by getting into racial comments regarding QBs (especially Luck and RG3). It was a no racism reminder, nothing else.

I should have read further I would have found my answer :)

You probably know already why I was angry about the original post. As I'm sure you can tell by my long rap sheet that I believe that everything in the world is white/black and there is no grey area, either something is wrong or it's right, It's either dark outside or it's light outside, there is no grey are or area in between. Again this is just how I see everything, not just the events of football or my interactions on this forum. :)

Some of the folks that need this reminder are not reading this. I learned to just hit ignore yesterday. I will start using that feature I am an old linebacker and catcher....do not need the drama of some of the antics some create or to get angry on a fun site. What I have done is 'finish' some of the arguments. That is the job of the moderators. Not ours(mine)

Most of the regulars can tell in a millisecond when someone is 'starting a fight' or argument. That is when we need to move on. My problem was seeing someone getting 'kicked' and trying to help them.

It is our own choice when we hit the send button and nobody else s

This is a nice reminder, and I do appreciate what the moderator's have been through with all of the changes.