Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mod Note - Choices, Trolling And The Golden Rules

Peytongirl

"Treat others like you want to be treated."

and

"If you cannot say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

If we acted like that, we would not have near the problems we have here or anywhere. But no one is perfect. This is also an internet message board and too many folks think that it is just a place to vent. It is just faceless names with no feelings so I can say whatever I want with no consequences...how many of you think like that?

Well, you are wrong. Maybe that is the way it is other places, but not here. Not on our forum.

We have always stood for equality for all posters and for this to be a safe place for ALL football fans to be able to come and discuss the game - without fear of being called names or being trolled or being talked down to.

With all that has happened in this last season, too many poster have gotten away from the original core ideals of this forum. Not good. That is all I can say...just not good.

The mod team cannot even keep up with all of the fires these days. It is unbelievable! What has happened to our fan base. Seriously?

For those who don't know or have forgotten, we have a set of rules here. They apply to EVERY poster. It doesn't matter what team you support, what player you support or if you simply like football. Break the rules and the mods will do what is necessary to keep the forum running smoothly. If you want to keep posting here and be part of the community, them simply FOLLOW THE RULES that YOU agreed to when you joined this site. Do not blame any one else if you choose not to do what you agreed to do. You have a choice. Please make the right one.

The name calling/insulting is going to stop. We already have the 24 hour 'rule' in place for inflammatory posts and personal shots, but if these become a habit...then you will lose your posting privileges. Simple. Stop and think before you post.

If you see a subject or even a poster that you have an issue with, move on. Please find more civil ways to discuss the subjects at hand without being inciting or insulting. If posters only wish to hear their own viewpoints, then there is no purpose to continue in a particular discussion except to incite and inflame. That is considered trolling. If your post is just to make trouble, then you are causing trouble. That is not going to be tolerated.

We all have to work together to heal. Heal the fanbase, the forum, the team...heck - even the league after a lot of the things that have happened. If you here to only make things worse, then re-evaluate why you are posting.

We want lively discussions. We want a variety of opinions debated in a civil manner. We want a variety of fans from many backgrounds so that things remain interesting. We want differing opinions discussed from lots of viewpoints. But we do not need constant sniping and people being hurtful to each other. Nor do we need people being nasty toward members of the NFL organizations - owners, coaches, players, etc.

Do your best to be respectful. Think before you post. Debate in a civil manner. Respect others' opinions even if they are not the same as yours. If you are not contributing to a topic, then move on to another.

Thank you for your time and cooperation. Let's make this the best forum for football fans once again.

~PG

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A slight issue:

I personally don't care if someone chooses to disagree with me passionately (proves I've made an interesting point!) and if somebody calls me a tool or similar - can I be afforded the privilege of doing the same back?

The tool part....That is not quite the spirit of the rules.

It is unreasonable to expect others to just "have a thick skin" and say "if you cannot take the heat, don't be on the internet". We are made up of a large fanbase of many types of fans. There are plenty of forums out there where "anything goes". If you want to act like a tool or call others a tool, there are places for that.

It isn't here. Respect and civility.

Disagreeing passionately? That is fine as long as it is done without being insulting to each other. Passion is a great thing in fandom.

A slight issue:

I personally don't care if someone chooses to disagree with me passionately (proves I've made an interesting point!) and if somebody calls me a tool or similar - can I be afforded the privilege of doing the same back?

I agree with Dan as many times someone "baits" someone else and they are the ones that go unscathed as the retaliator(sp?) gets the ban. Much like wih the NFL when the Refs see the retaliator and not the instigator ;)............either way, I agree we should all get along but some people push the limits and cause opposite reactions. It doesn't have anything to do with the thickness or thinness of one's skin as much as it has to do with implied intent and failure to cut that out at the source....just my 2 cents and that ain't worth much :)

I agree with Dan as many times someone "baits" someone else and they are the ones that go unscathed as the retaliator(sp?) gets the ban. Much like wih the NFL when the Refs see the retaliator and not the instigator ;)............either way, I agree we should all get along but some people push the limits and cause opposite reactions. It doesn't have anything to do with the thickness or thinness of one's skin as much as it has to do with implied intent and failure to cut that out at the source....just my 2 cents and that ain't worth much :)

Law & Order Forum Intent :) (<insert that music, I love it when that person mimics the Law & Order sound in the Hulu commercial> :))

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - off topic - about points, being discussed in another thread
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - off topic - about points, being discussed in another thread

BTW I noticed a nice little comment next to my avatar now that says "one warning point". Does everybody see that? Never saw that before. What is the point system?

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - off topic - about points, being discussed in another thread
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - off topic - about points, being discussed in another thread

BTW I noticed a nice little comment next to my avatar now that says "one warning point". Does everybody see that? Never saw that before. What is the point system?

I have two and wondered the same??????? I don't see yours btw.

This should help you out.

I see that. Mine has 0 though. :???:

I see that. Mine has 0 though. :???:

I have two and wondered the same??????? I don't see yours btw.

This was discussed in the miscellaneous section. Here's the link. Hopefully it'll help you out; the moderators are aware of what's going on as well, now.

http://forums.colts....warning-points/

Let's make this the best forum for football fans once again.

~PG

I agree that the environment of late has been poor at times, but I believe that the forum has a good core of posters. Also, I've been in many forums around the league, and this one is easily the best setup, no questions asked. You guys do a great job here!

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - same...about points - OT
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - same...about points - OT

Please send a pm to a mod if you have a question about the points. It is your personal business and not something to be discussed on the board.

Thanks

Symbol.jpg

Great thread. Might I add that certain phrases and words should be avoided;

Blind

Manning Fans

Luck Fans

Irsay Lover

etc....

All inflammatory and ignorant.

I'd like to announce the creation of the Official Colts Fan Forum Hippie Peace Movement Club. Designed to spread peace and solidarity awareness among a divided fanbase.

Please sign up in this thread.

We can debate, we can argue, but we must be respectful of each others opinions and try to approach the coming months with humor and understanding that our team has changed and so must we. Peace. Kubaya. Can't we all just get along?

Thanks, Ruksak.

Part of the purpose of the reminder thread is to emphasize the fact that inciting is trolling.

We are all human and have the urge to rise to the bait when it is right there in front of us.

It is easier to retaliate than it is to hit the report button. But we all have to try to be the bigger person.

The mods cannot read every post written. I know there are inciting posts. I see a lot. I delete a lot. I warn for a lot of them. I know all of the mods do. However, it is every poster's responsibility to decide what they type and send. If you respond, you are responsible for what you wrote and you cannot blame anyone for it. Yes, the person that started it deserves (and should be) reprimand based on what he/she wrote. But each person has to be accountable for what he/she posts.

Ruksak, I like your list.

May I add a few words to it?

bandwagon

"real/true" fan

liar

cheater

black/white

All of these are going to be red flags to an already raging bull.

It doesn't have to be kindergarten here, but we can and should be able to act like civil adults. :)

Now where do I sign up for this movement, Ruksak?

Maybe Brady12 would be a good new user name..

Runs for cover :)

Unlike many fan forums, opposing fans are always welcome here so long as they recognize that this is a Colts forum and they remain respectful to the shoe and it's fans.

bandwagon

"real/true" fan

liar

cheater

black/white

It doesn't have to be kindergarten here, but we can and should be able to act like civil adults. :)

This is a joke, right? I mean, obviously you're not actually suggesting they should be seriously banned, but you can't honestly look down on the use of them?

Otherwise I've got a list of other words to ban, just ask Samuel Johnson for it.

I knew it. ;)

That is er sole purpose on this board. Acting in this manner without the fear of harm proves you are a coward. I bet you would not act this way............ lets say at a football game in Philly.

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - likm's reply got mixed up with his quote
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 24, 2012 - likm's reply got mixed up with his quote

Thanks, Ruksak.

Part of the purpose of the reminder thread is to emphasize the fact that inciting is trolling.

We are all human and have the urge to rise to the bait when it is right there in front of us.

It is easier to retaliate than it is to hit the report button. But we all have to try to be the bigger person.

No inciting is not trolling.....the few posters inciting seem to be here on a regular basis.

The mods cannot read every post written. I know there are inciting posts. I see a lot. I delete a lot. I warn for a lot of them. I know all of the mods do. However, it is every poster's responsibility to decide what they type and send. If you respond, you are responsible for what you wrote and you cannot blame anyone for it. Yes, the person that started it deserves (and should be) reprimand based on what he/she wrote. But each person has to be accountable for what he/she posts.

Ruksak, I like your list.

bandwagon

"real/true" fan

liar

cheater

black/white

Now where do I sign up for this movement, Ruksak?

That is er sole purpose on this board. Acting in this manner without the fear of harm proves you are a coward. I bet you would not act this way............ lets say at a football game in Philly.

I honestly thought you were joking when you said that. So I went along being sarcastic with you. Like I said before I have no problem with anyone here, even if we don't see eye to eye. When it comes down to it we all love blue.

This is a joke, right? I mean, obviously you're not actually suggesting they should be seriously banned, but you can't honestly look down on the use of them?

Otherwise I've got a list of other words to ban, just ask Samuel Johnson for it.

If you honestly don't understand that accusing another member of being one of those things accomplishes nothing besides inciting a fight with them, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Perhaps just that if you think that somebody is one of those things, than debate the topic with them in a civilized manner and try to prove them wrong. Labeling somebody is just throwing down a gauntlet that they will feel compelled to respond to in kind. Besides, there are plenty of other words to chose from, and the ones listed must be getting pretty worn out by now. Well at least I'm tired of reading them.

If the words were supposed to be banned, they would be in the words filter. Yes, obviously.

Come on. :rollseyes: A little perspective, please. These words are inflammatory and yes, they will be looked down as such.

And allowed to do as they please! Seems as if there is a double standard?

This simply isn't true. I have just about every mod on my friends list and only a few weeks ago I got banned for 24 hours because I wanted to say something without thinking first. They had no problem putting a boot in my rear (rightfully so) and I'm about as much of a regular here as anyone.

This is not going to be a bash the moderation thread (which is against the rules to do so on the forum, btw). If ANY of you see a post that is problematic, report it. It will be reviewed and handled by the mod team.

Guess what? Those results are not made public. You don't get to know what happened. So you don't know when an issue has been dealt with.

This is not an "air your grievances" thread. It was made more of a reminder to most and a warning to many.

Take it as you will.

This simply isn't true. I have just about every mod on my friends list and only a few weeks ago I got banned for 24 hours because I wanted to say something without thinking first. They had no problem putting a boot in my rear (rightfully so) and I'm about as much of a regular here as anyone.

Did I say your name? Quite frankly I get you and appreciate your humor and masked sarcasm. You weren't part of my reply....why so paranoid?