Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I was really expecting the defense to get better this year and this first game was uninspiring.  I think there were 4 plays where we got penetration.  If not, it felt like that.   I did not see any stud DT in there.   Is Jacksonville's oline that good?  I thought our dline was supposed to make our secondary better.  3TDs in the air!  Wide open too. It would be more acceptable to me if a guy was say within a yard from the receiver.  It was just painful to watch today.

44 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I was really expecting the defense to get better this year and this first game was uninspiring.  I think there were 4 plays where we got penetration.  If not, it felt like that.   I did not see any stud DT in there.   Is Jacksonville's oline that good?  I thought our dline was supposed to make our secondary better.  3TDs in the air!  Wide open too. It would be more acceptable to me if a guy was say within a yard from the receiver.  It was just painful to watch today.

Mobile QB,  Moving Pocket, Misdirection,  Short Quick throws were effective at neutralizing the pass rush.  I've seen the Dungy Colts with Freeney and Mathis get neutralized in the same way years ago down in Jacksonville using the same formula.   I wouldn't get too pessimistic about it because even with all that we got 3 sacks.  I'm expecting more against Minn.   Cousins is not the same athletic profile as Minshew. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, krunk said:

I am sort of questioning what we have in that secondary as far as talent is concerned. 

I agree outside of Moore none of them looked like they belonged in the NFL today.  I know it’s one game but Rock and Hookers struggles date back beyond this year.  Rhodes is new so he might have some problems adjusting to the new d with no pre-season and off-season camp but I don’t see him being an upgrade over Desir.  Not having Tell hurts too.  Willis had a bad game but his strong suit has never really been pass coverage so I don’t think it’s too much of an overreaction to be concerned about the secondary.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, krunk said:

I am sort of questioning what we have in that secondary as far as talent is concerned. 

I’ll be interested to watch coaching tape, seemed like we’ve got some stuff to sure up!

Let’s see how the boys settle in to game with, expect the boys to be angry next week?

8 minutes ago, Semicolt said:

Come on Colt fans give the defense a break, they were practicing social distancing.

Ha ha, I know you're joking there, but most of the game actually did look like that. Look, as I said elsewhere, this is NOT a talent issue. This is a communication issue. And not just between the players on the field.

The main issue is a communication disconnect between the coaches and players during practices and meetings. That couldn't be more obvious during all of yesterday's game. These guys, especially in the secondary, simply aren't truly understanding what their coaches are teaching them. I lost count of how many times Ya-sin raised his hand/shook his head in confusion after, heck even during, a play.

Something in this team's preparation communication is SERIOUSLY flawed, and someone in charge there had better realize it and fix it N-O-W, or quarterbacks and offenses much more experienced and effective than the Jags are going to utterly demolish this defense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Are we using a similar defense to what Tony Dungy ran? If so, just think about this...

1. It took an all-time great QB in Manning to win just 1 Super Bowl, despite that horrible defense.

2. We do not have players similar to Mathis, Freeney, or Bob Sanders.

If we are running that same defense with this crew......fuggetaboutit.

I was always reluctant to jump aboard the “top 5-10 defense” hype train. 

Such soft coverage. Then again I think our secondary is incredibly suspect, especially Rhodes and Ya-Sin. And Willis when it comes to defending the pass. And Hooker for that matter lately.

8 hours ago, JediXMan said:

What's the point of drafting physical DBs like Rock, Willis and Moore if your just going to play soft * zone D smh.

Exactly!!! It irked me with HOF pass rushers and a stellar O that could bail you out when we played that style of DB play all the time with Dungy.

Money downs, play man coverage more if you believe in your pass rush or blitz and play zone behind it.

New Rams DC who tutored under Vic Fangio called a heck of a game. Granted, that D has more talent than ours but not by a huge margin.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

our coaches are average & honestly stupid based off the product they've sold us

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was always reluctant to jump aboard the “top 5-10 defense” hype train. 

Such soft coverage. Then again I think our secondary is incredibly suspect, especially Rhodes and Ya-Sin. And Willis when it comes to defending the pass. And Hooker for that matter lately.

The COACHES (Flus) rarely puts them in a position to show off their skill set. We should be crowding the line of scrimmage and forcing quarterbacks to guess if it's man or zone.

that's where turnovers come from, not this it's a mindset nonsense. Make the Qb second guess his self and overly trust his teammates. it's really a game that's that simple and flus is being out coached by NOBODIES. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Are we using a similar defense to what Tony Dungy ran? If so, just think about this...

1. It took an all-time great QB in Manning to win just 1 Super Bowl, despite that horrible defense.

2. We do not have players similar to Mathis, Freeney, or Bob Sanders.

If we are running that same defense with this crew......fuggetaboutit.

Exactly if your going to do this cover 2 system yu have to be aggressive. otherwise you're just hoping a team messes up and offenses have become too sophisticated to allow "oh shoot blunders"

8 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Hopefully Julian Blackmon will be the answer to our prayers. :)

he's not our scheme is soft