Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is T.Y. Hilton washed up? Just asking for a friend!!!

tncoltsfan57

Don't get me wrong I know he's been a great player for the Colts but honestly I don't feel he has ever been a "clutch" player. I know of several instances where he was the go-to receiver in a clutch do-or-die situation and he either couldn't get separation or dropped the ball. This has happened with the numerous QB's we've had over the past few years. It seems he's either hurt or going through the motions especially the past 3 years and I think it's time to move on and get a big physical receiver with that "clutch" capability. I'd like your thoughts and please, be honest.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, when most of the last few years he's been the only WR who could do anything. The bigger issue on a couple of the balls had been placement, which should fix with more practice. And you know he will be out there. Also, it is against the Jags a team we have historically had issues with. If he was doing this against Hou it would be a different story. Jags always play us better than their talent level. 

Just now, funktacious2 said:

It's week 1 but Campbell looked like he deserved the majority share. That said Hilton had that nice sideline haul. It's Pittman that makes me nervous. Hope we try and give him more looks to see what he's made of.

He’s a rookie without an off-season program and no pre-season.  A lot of rookie WRs struggle with those so I wasn’t shocked by Pittman’s struggles.  

Campbell was probably the brightest thing about today.  I do think he owes part of him getting open to TY being out there though.  TY draws attention but take nothing away from Campbell he played really well.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He’s a rookie without an off-season program and no pre-season.  A lot of rookie WRs struggle with those so I wasn’t shocked by Pittman’s struggles.  

Campbell was probably the brightest thing about today.  I do think he owes part of him getting open to TY being out there though.  TY draws attention but take nothing away from Campbell he played really well.

He looked good today but His penalty was sooooo dumb. I just don’t understand why he would do that.

2 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

It's week 1 but Campbell looked like he deserved the majority share. That said Hilton had that nice sideline haul. It's Pittman that makes me nervous. Hope we try and give him more looks to see what he's made of.

Campbell actually led the team in targets and yards.if he keeps that up it should help Hilton. Hilton needs the call in space.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The jags rookie WR looked pretty dang good. Pittman needs more targets. He looked good on the couple catches he had.

42 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ok, I'll give you my honest answer. We need TY, his ability, his experience, and his speed.....big time!

TY is the least of my concerns for the Colts franchise. 

These two statements made consecutively make no sense to me.

We need TY, so... I'm not worried when he doesn't act like TY?  you'll have to talk me through that one.

My problem with TY, and this isn't new so you've all probably heard me say this before, is that we don't have 4 of him. 

TY is easily our best receiver, but that's a two sided coin.   

Don't believe me?  Quick, name me a single other Colts receiver that someone else might have heard of prior to this year.  Defenses are going to gameplan around TY because he's the only name brand good in the receiver room, and the only one they have a significant amount of NFL film on.

Normally a defense game plans around the top 3 receivers.  At the start of week 1 we have no idea who our top 3 receivers are except that TY is #1.  Neither does anyone else.

The problem is that there's no experienced depth behind TY.  And so defenses key in on him, which makes it way harder than it should be for him to do its job.  It's simply and only a consequence  of the fact that no one has heard of any of the rest of our receiving corps.

If our young WR depth can show something and take over games so that the pressure's not always on TY to be TY, that'll go a long way towards creating a respectable offense and opening the game.  

I'm honestly not shocked that it took more than a TC and 1 week of the regular season to get that done, green wood takes time to season no matter how fervently you might wish it didn't

with that said, again, Rivers is doing a great job of working them up to speed by distributing the ball as well as he is.  And as the receiver depth does come up to speed, the D can't cheat up against TY's route and that should open up the game for TY.  It's ironic since we expect the veterans to carry the rookies, but the best way to get TY going, is to bring the rookies into the game as quickly * possible.

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

he was hearing it from Jack. It’s always the retaliator that gets penalized. Just have to give a good first down dance to the side and walk away in that situation. 

You are correct about the situation with Parris. I liked his reaction though. It as just a second too long. 

NEW QB, NO Preseason or enough time to get the timing down. I don't blame anybody, but in my opinion Jay Gruden outcoached Flus today. Reich was not himself, calm and mindful in his play calling. Not every 4th down at the goal line needs to be played. 

The 4th down stand in the first quarter gave the Jax DL momentum. They stuffed the line. The DL came to believe that the Colts FAMOUS OL is not that great after all. !!!  Why run the ball twice up the middle??? With all the weapons that they have??? 

1 hour ago, bestQBever said:

No he just doesn't have the gunslinging, pinpoint accurate(sometimes), Andrew Luck anymore. 

This times 10.

They were headed for a Peyton/Marv type relationship. They definitely 'got' each other the way the great QB/WR combos do.

What a crap deal for us fans not to be able to see a decade + of that.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:52 PM, Mr.Debonair said:

He looked good today but His penalty was sooooo dumb. I just don’t understand why he would do that.

He took a big hit and got amped up. Very easy to understand why he did it but the conversation that'll be had with him is how to channel that emotion into destroying the opponent rather than hurting his team. It happens to the best, I remember Marvin's spike v New England like it was yesterday lol

TY does not have the body type to be a possession slot during his home stretch like Reggie Wayne did, IMO. He can still run routes well but this is a young man's game to separate. Maybe we can run some max. protection routes to get some shots with TY on the outside more every game.

Parris Campbell and Michael Pittman better develop fast to be versatile to be played inside and outside, that is what will maximize TY's home stretch the next 2 years, and I don't think TY lasts beyond the 2021 season with the Colts.

If TY is washed up then this offense & WR group is in even worse shape than it's been in recent years.

I like TY, in fact he's  still my favorite player. But most likely his best seasons are behind him. But I wouldn't say he's washed up.

His game is SPEED, so he needs to keep his legs healthy. And if he we had a Big true #1 and relied on him as a #2 or better yet, a #3, TY and our offense would be much better.

Jury still out!  I'd like to see a healthy TY with a qb that can throw the deep ball, which we haven't had both in last two yrs.  I was excited to start the season as TY was healthy but now we got a qb that has no chemistry and no long ball.  GM 1, TY was a has been but hopefully that changes.

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

TY does not have the body type to be a possession slot during his home stretch like Reggie Wayne did, IMO. He can still run routes well but this is a young man's game to separate. Maybe we can run some max. protection routes to get some shots with TY on the outside more every game.

Parris Campbell and Michael Pittman better develop fast to be versatile to be played inside and outside, that is what will maximize TY's home stretch the next 2 years, and I don't think TY lasts beyond the 2021 season with the Colts.

You know, you are likely correct. But at this point, he is still the best WR we have....hands down (pun completely intended)

I'll just say this. Washed up, no. But didn't look TYish last week. Saw some routes/cuts that looked lazy or slow, his last-move-separation he is famous for didn't look near as good as past. Not saying by any means we need to get rid of him, but I do think we need to stop forcing plays to him. Ballard/Reich said our O goes through TY. Not sure if that's the right strategy right now. Purely my opinion, but perhaps he needs to start playing more slot, and less Z. They already do that that some, and Paris looked better than TY plain and simple. 

It's early, and one game isn't enough to make a call. But if it's the same thing this week, need to change things up. MN's CBs got burnt up last week. If TY can't find success tomorrow, maybe a swap is needed. Regardless, other options worked a lot better last week. No need to force it anywhere.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:14 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If TY is washed up then this offense & WR group is in even worse shape than it's been in recent years.

I like TY, in fact he's  still my favorite player. But most likely his best seasons are behind him. But I wouldn't say he's washed up.

His game is SPEED, so he needs to keep his legs healthy. And if he we had a Big true #1 and relied on him as a #2 or better yet, a #3, TY and our offense would be much better.

TY needs to make the catches when he is thrown the ball. 

His drops are very concerning to me. 

Probably not washed up but definitely starting to decline which is expected.   He wants to finish his career in Indy so he may be open to taking a modest contract and becoming more of a mentor that is slowly phased out as other receivers develop.  I’m ok with this succession plan but I also would of been ok with trading him before this last draft to package with the Pittman pick to move up for a blue chip receiver. I wish our team would embrace trading players one year early to extract maximum value.  No clue what this would do for team moral so most likely wishful thinking. 

TY is fine.  To me, he's never been a high #1 guy simply because of his size.  In today's NFL you need a guy with a little more size to be a true #1 alpha dog.  But he has sort of made up for it with his big play ability over the years.  His injuries are a concern but he hasn't really missed many games because of it.  If the Colts ever found that big guy with hands and speed (looking at you Pittman) that could be a true #1 then I think Hilton would become more deadly.  I like keeping the guy around I'm just not sure he is worth #1 guy money.  My 2 sense.

33 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

TY is fine.  To me, he's never been a high #1 guy simply because of his size.  In today's NFL you need a guy with a little more size to be a true #1 alpha dog.  But he has sort of made up for it with his big play ability over the years.  His injuries are a concern but he hasn't really missed many games because of it.  If the Colts ever found that big guy with hands and speed (looking at you Pittman) that could be a true #1 then I think Hilton would become more deadly.  I like keeping the guy around I'm just not sure he is worth #1 guy money.  My 2 sense.

If you look at official combine measurements, and not the padded ESPN or Wiki stuff....

Harrison was a tad under 5-10

Tyreek Hill is a tad under 5-7

TY is a tad under 5-8

I agree taller is better, but there are plenty of lil' alphas 

Pittman can be an alpha possession guy, but he's likely never going to be known for being a speed guy. 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you look at official combine measurements, and not the padded ESPN or Wiki stuff....

Tyreek Hill is a tad under 5-7

TY is a tad under 5-8

I agree taller is better, but there are plenty of lil' alphas 

Pittman can be an alpha possession guy, but he's likely never going to be known for being a speed guy. 

I get it.  I would just love us to find that next Julio or Larry or Calvin.  I'd be hyped.

5 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I get it.  I would just love us to find that next Julio or Larry or Calvin.  I'd be hyped.

Calvin is a unicorn. 6-5 and 4.38 only happens once every so often when the planets align, and an alien comes down and impregnates a humanoid.

Julio is too at almost 6-3 and 4.34, but still less freakish than Calvin.

Larry not so much. Larry was around 6-3 and 4.48. Very good measurables, but not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong, Larry was a great WR, but different than Julio and Megatron. Not near as "freak".

Pittman is not to far off Larry. 6-4 and 4.52. Patmon was a little better at 6-4 and 4.48. 

There's a lot of 4.5ish 6-3 and 6-4 guys running around the league. When you get into the 4.4s, the bucket shrinks. 4.3s at that height are just ultra rare.

Just my early opinion, but I think Pittman ends up more the possession guy, and Patmon, if he can emerge, is less possession and more finesse. The bag on him is he doesn't play to his size. Might be why we saw Pittman on short and intermediate routes, and heard Patmon was running deeper routes.

36 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Marvin?  He always looked 6' to me.  I can't find anything that says he was under 5'10.

I did see a ohio state hype up when they thought they were signing him that he was now 6'4.  lol.  I didn't see anything from syracuse though.

I did find this that shows he was just under 6..

https://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=1996&*=WR&college=

Archived