Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching/GM seat getting hot? (MERGED)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol,  also 4th and 1 and you send a 170 lb back up the middle deep in the red zone where the defence will stack up and you have a beast of a running back you drafted for plays like this to go up the m

...and Hooker was back to his usual invisibility.

Both are so overrated by this fan base it’s comical.Reich is outcoached almost every single game and the GM lol guess he thinks TY Hilton and Mack are pictures of health year after year huh ? Absolute

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

Defense is a scheme issue. Soft zone all game will not work anymore. 

2 incompletions in 2 games setting NFL records for incompetent  defense might be an indicator you think? :thmup:

• Like 1

The defensive coordinator should certainly be on the hot seat. I think the entire defensive scheme needs to change. Zone coverage with inconsistent pass rush is too easy to beat. Too much talent on the defensive side of the ball to be this bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s a coaching issue more then a GM issue. We have a pretty good team on paper. Reich and Eberflus keep making the same mistakes. The secondary needs fixed. Outside Moore and Rock we need better players.

i disagree. Eberflus is Ballards man and so is this defence. 4 years of drafting to build a defence.  Ballard keeps getting a pass by this boars. All I hear is in Ballard we trust.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Certainly not the GM seat. This team has plenty of talent, which is the GM’s job. Buckner didn’t just forget how to play. He was a stud in San Fran. I think it’s more coaching and not be prepared. 

I more question this coaching staff at times with these repeated lackluster performances against poor teams. And it’s a reoccurring trend to have horrible week 1’s with this team under Reich. 

Coaching staff needs some accountability as well. 

Who says this team has plenty of talent? The  results woukd say other wise.  Cant argue wins ans losses. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

The defensive coordinator should certainly be on the hot seat. I think the entire defensive scheme needs to change. Zone coverage with inconsistent pass rush is too easy to beat. Too much talent on the defensive side of the ball to be this bad. 

So how do we change? Ballard has drafted light defensive players to fit this zone scheme. Changing schemes would almost result in s complete tear down

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Good thing Irsay doesn't listen to those people.

Is the seat getting hot for Ballard or Reich?  Uh, it's a week 1 loss on the road after no preseason.  So no.  No, their seats are not getting hot.

If anything, I can see this loss being the catalyst for a winning streak.

Hmmmmm. Week one loss to a team that has just completed a tear down of their whole roster.  Have u been following what the Jags have done over the last 2 years?  Traded away all their players to accumulate picks. There is no doubt  in mind they were going for the #1 pick this year. Most experts picked them to finish last in the league as did I. We just lost to the  Jags. Ballard has been building for the last 3 years.  The Jags have been stripping away talent for thr last 2. Wow....just wow.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i disagree. Eberflus is Ballards man and so is this defence. 4 years of drafting to build a defence.  Ballard keeps getting a pass by this boars. All I hear is in Ballard we trust.  

Do you think the defense has talented players?  If the answer is yes then the GM is doing his job.  Now is it the right system?  That is a bigger question and that ultimately goes on the coaches.  I think it’s very possible Eberflus’s seat is getting warm but no one is getting fired after one game.   

50 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So how do we change? Ballard has drafted light defensive players to fit this zone scheme. Changing schemes would almost result in s complete tear down

The Colts went from a 4-3 to a 3-4 under Pagano and went 11-5 the year after it and guys like Mathis thrived in it.  Tony Dungy came in after Mora and changed the defense to the Tampa 2 and went 10-6 in his first year and got to the playoffs.  It can be done with the right coach and GM.

17 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

running does fix the defense. its called time of possession. 

Which still doesn’t stop the other teams QB from completing 95% of his passes.  Remember when Peyton Manning beat Miami without having the ball for a quarter of the game?  If your defense can’t stop the other teams offense TOP doesn’t mean much.  For the record the Colts won TOP today 33:23 to 26:37.  Didn’t help much did it?

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree they need to run more on offense but that doesn’t fix the defense.  You can’t let any QB complete 95% of his passes vs. you.

I'm with you on this. 90+% pass D happening more than once is crazy.

There are times when it looks like they're totally lost for an entire game. And not regular bad game lost. 

I'm not sure when the time is to be really REALLY concerned, but they've had some historically bad games on D with Frank and Eber running the ship.

We also seem to get the crap end of the stick whenever we pass on points and try to be aggressive. That's an entirely different can of worms.

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Which still doesn’t stop the other teams QB from completing 95% of his passes.  Remember when Peyton Manning beat Miami without having the ball for a quarter of the game?  If your defense can’t stop the other teams offense TOP doesn’t mean much.  For the record the Colts won TOP today 33:23 to 26:37.  Didn’t help much did it?

the two interceptions, and the penalties is what lost us this game. Forced passes, and bad decisions by reich. But yeah, i bet you see a running Colts team next week. bet on it. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

the two interceptions, and the penalties is what lost us this game. Forced passes, and bad decisions by reich. But yeah, i bet you see a running Colts team next week. bet on it. 

not to mention two crucial drops by TY at the end of the game. Both of them would have moved the chains and stopped the clock. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s a coaching issue more then a GM issue. We have a pretty good team on paper. Reich and Eberflus keep making the same mistakes. The secondary needs fixed. Outside Moore and Rock we need better players.

Moore and rock were part of the same secondary that allowed minshew to light them up. Moore isn’t a number one or even a number 2, he’s a slot corner. 

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This. Never understood why Ballard was sold on the C-2.

I get it, he cut his teeth in CHIC 15 years back in the Urlacher-led era. The C-2 was pervasive back

then and with the right pieces (dominant 3-tech and DEs) etc.), still worked.

But it's a different game now. Giving WRs a free release and playing soft/off zone is a death knell 

these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if the Colts keep playing zone defense, their coverage could be 10 times better. Lining up off the ball 8+ yards out on a 1st and 10 is what kills you all the time. Matt E. Seems to always do this. Not sure I have faith in him as a D Cordinator. 

Every time Frank R gets cute and tries to out smart everyone, we lose the game. He's good for getting cute at least twice a year. 

For this loss, I'm not reading too much into it. 

We always struggle vs the jags no matter who is starting the games. 

No preseason with a new QB that no one is used too. 

Everyone is rusty for a team that starts slow, that's not a good thing. 

If the Colts look this bad the next couple weeks then I'll get worried. 

But for now, everyone is overreacting like they always do every time we lose. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

...and folks, we DID NOT PUNT the entire game. Let that sink in. Costly turnovers and 3rd down D were critical aspects of the loss.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

no it wouldn't

turay = pass rusher 

leonard/okereke = 3 down backers (Uber Athletes)

stewart = NT 

Buckner = Scheme versatile (DE/DT)  

Autry/Muhammad/Lewis = DE

rock/rhodes = Press Corners (not scheme dependent, just their skill set)

Moore/Rodgers = Nickle ONLY

Hooker/Blackmon = Key 

the key in pretty much every schemes ultimate success or failure is how your safety's can disguise intent while still doing their job.

Event this "Scheme" can work if the coaches had balls to attack offenses 

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do you think the defense has talented players?  If the answer is yes then the GM is doing his job.  Now is it the right system?  That is a bigger question and that ultimately goes on the coaches.  I think it’s very possible Eberflus’s seat is getting warm but no one is getting fired after one game.   

There is talent on the defense...but most (if not all of) teams have talented defensive players. And to be fair...with the sheer amount of cap space and draft capital that was spent on the defense (2 1st round picks, 6 2nd round picks, 3 3rd round picks)...a handful of talented players should be the bare minimum. That's enough picks to build an entire elite homegrown defense.

It's also Ballard's scheme. His seat isn't warm...but some objective criticism could be warranted.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

There is talent on the defense...but most (if not all of) teams have talented defensive players. And to be fair...with the sheer amount of cap space and draft capital that was spent on the defense (2 1st round picks, 6 2nd round picks, 3 3rd round picks)...a handful of talented players should be the bare minimum. That's enough picks to build an entire elite homegrown defense.

It's also Ballard's scheme. His seat isn't warm...but some objective criticism could be warranted.

That’s fair.  GMs don’t really have schemes though.  They get players for the schemes the coaches want.  Look at Polian he built one defense for Mora and then built another for Dungy.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s fair.  GMs don’t really have schemes though.  They get players for the schemes the coaches want.  Look at Polian he built one defense for Mora and then built another for Dungy.

I shouldn't have said "Ballard's scheme"...but from his own quote about the T2 defense...it would imply that it's his preference for a scheme.

But even if the scheme is on the coaches...he is responsible for getting the players for that scheme...so also should shoulder some of the criticism when that scheme isn't working. It's very rarely 100% on the coaching staff when there are issues. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I shouldn't have said "Ballard's scheme"...but from his own quote about the T2 defense...it would imply that it's his preference for a scheme.

But even if the scheme is on the coaches...he is responsible for getting the players for that scheme...so also should shoulder some of the criticism when that scheme isn't working. It's very rarely 100% on the coaching staff when there are issues. 

Like I said criticism is fair.  Still I think if you are talking about what the bigger problem is it’s the coaching of said talent.  Not the talent themselves for the most part.  

With that said the secondary does lack talent and two of the biggest problems appear to be Ballard’s biggest investments in the secondary in Rock and Hooker.  

Still as the team goes I do think the rest of the units on the roster have talent so I am not ready to say Ballard is a big problem.  I’d agree it’s fair to say hey Ballard’s picks in Hooker and Rock aren’t looking so hot right now.

Well, the way the defense played yesterday will definitely force Ballard to think about whether this is going how he envisioned (which it is not), so either he is on the wrong track With building this defense, the talent is not as good as he thought or Eberflus is not the answer. 

36 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The coaches all should be on the hot seat especially the HC. All overpaid and under performing. Should take pay cut, performance yesterday not only embarrassing but pathetic.

Jesus, how many of these posts have you made in the last 24 hours?!?

Every time I open a thread, you’ve added another one of these garbage posts...

• Thanks 2

I'm calling this game a fluke until we show consistency in losing, it's abnormal for a team to win time of possession have more total yards, have better average yards per play, have more sacks, and have less penalties, and lose the game. We were just ridiculously bad in situational football and lacked team chemistry which normally comes through preseason games and scrimmages. The new QB and new secondary finally got to play against another team and realized they have a lot of work to do, I expect them to get better as the season continues.

• Like 3

I hear you Lucky, just stating the facts.  Reich has had many opportunities and chances to improve this team in many ways the last few years, and it hasn't happen....Latest one for example is the game yesterday.  Reich should have done a lot better with personnel changes, ex: why wasn't Taylor carrying the workload, and having him to run more since we are a first run team, instead using Hines on key plays... The defense, which he is to oversee has not improved much since trading for D. Buckner.  The zone defense is obviously not working, as you can see all the missed assignments yesterday.  The Colts made a star out of a sophomore QB Minshew.  Just frustrated that's all, waiting for some drastic improvement....

• Confused 1

The seat should be sizzling hot for Eberflus. It’s the same thing with the pass defense. They applaud themselves for not allowing the deep ball but you don’t need to throw it deep when the middle of the field is always wide open. To call this zone defense mediocre would be an insult to mediocre. It’s been 3 seasons now, what’s the excuse at this point?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dont u find that concerning for Reich to say that bout our defence?

I do.   I gotta admit something here.  I've spent the last day or so thinking about it, looking at the history.  Gotta say, I'm starting to sour a bit on both Eberflus and Reich.  More so on Eberflus. But Reich's got me worried. I need to see something this season, some sort of growth as  coach.  He keeps making the same "mistakes" over and over.   Add in some of the other stuff and yeah.  I still currently think he can pull it off, but I'm starting to get concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Horsey said:

Where is all the talent Ballard has acquired? I keep hearing and reading about this talent, but I never actually see this mysterious talent. 

the talent is there, I just don't think they're being utilized properly, especially on D.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

The defense, which he is to oversee has not improved much since trading for D. Buckner.  

You get a solid confirmation of that from 1 game?   The first game of a season where there was no preseason.  

• Like 1
  • Shive changed the title to Coaching/GM seat getting hot? (MERGED)
  • Shive locked this topic