Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching/GM seat getting hot? (MERGED)

0-3 in coaching first games. 

0-4 for the GM. 

Uninspired play calling, especially in the second half. 

Vaunted rushing game tepid. Vaunted O-Line looked average.

Our first pick was barely visible and had no impact. 

Superstar trade player invisible all game. 

QB acquisition looked as bad or worse than last season. 

Secondary play horrendous.  Our Defense made Minshew look like Drew Brees last year, 19/20 passing.  The defense picked right up from last year. 2nd best % in history?

People will talk.  

On paper, we lost to the shallowest depth (by their own coaches admission) team in the league and even with multiple starters hurt, they shut us down when it counted over and over. 

On the plus side we're still in the hunt for the #1 pick! Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm for #1 QB picks in Indy?

Or perhaps they will crawl out of this hole too.

They better or the talking will turn to shouting.  Reich said they had the talent to win it all. If that is true then his coaching was to blame. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol,  also 4th and 1 and you send a 170 lb back up the middle deep in the red zone where the defence will stack up and you have a beast of a running back you drafted for plays like this to go up the m

...and Hooker was back to his usual invisibility.

Both are so overrated by this fan base it’s comical.Reich is outcoached almost every single game and the GM lol guess he thinks TY Hilton and Mack are pictures of health year after year huh ? Absolute

Posted Images

I think it’s a coaching issue more then a GM issue. We have a pretty good team on paper. Reich and Eberflus keep making the same mistakes. The secondary needs fixed. Outside Moore and Rock we need better players.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s a coaching issue more then a GM issue. We have a pretty good team on paper. Reich and Eberflus keep making the same mistakes. The secondary needs fixed. Outside Moore and Rock we need better players.

I agree, the Jaguars made it look easy today on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both are so overrated by this fan base it’s comical.Reich is outcoached almost every single game and the GM lol guess he thinks TY Hilton and Mack are pictures of health year after year huh ? Absolute certainty they get fired if they don’t make playoffs lol this is Paethetic honestly letting Gardner destroy this team .Humiliating 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Certainly not the GM seat. This team has plenty of talent, which is the GM’s job. Buckner didn’t just forget how to play. He was a stud in San Fran. I think it’s more coaching and not be prepared. 

I more question this coaching staff at times with these repeated lackluster performances against poor teams. And it’s a reoccurring trend to have horrible week 1’s with this team under Reich. 

Coaching staff needs some accountability as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, #12. said:

I have a hard time seeing Ballard or Reich being fired.  Luck, covid, etc - it's not gonna happen.

Eberflus might be on the hot seat.

I would agree with this post. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Certainly not the GM seat. This team has plenty of talent, which is the GM’s job.

I more question this coaching staff at times with these repeated lackluster performances against poor teams. And it’s a reoccurring trend to have horrible week 1’s with this team under Reich. 

How many years do GMs get to field a playoff team? Answer, 3-4 typically. J. Lynch did it in 3. 

If, the Colts miss the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons, you think Ballard’s seat wouldn’t be hot? It damn well should be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, #12. said:

I have a hard time seeing Ballard or Reich being fired.  Luck, covid, etc - it's not gonna happen.

Eberflus might be on the hot seat.

I simply asked the question. But boy did ALL their decisions look bad today.  If this continues, imagine when we turn the corner towards the death part of our season? Yikes.  Flus looks like a poison pill left to us by New England.

• Sad 1

Seat should be getting hotter for both if this kind of play continues. But I doubt either would be fired.  Ballard building a solid roster on paper means nothing if they don’t win enough on the field. Also he is to blame for us adopting the weak zone coverage scheme. He has drafted defensive personnel specifically for that so we are now married to it for better or worse.  Reich needs a better sense of when and when not to gamble and needs to grow as a game planner in general.  Eberflus needs to go if the defense continues to perform like this.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Lol,  also 4th and 1 and you send a 170 lb back up the middle deep in the red zone where the defence will stack up and you have a beast of a running back you drafted for plays like this to go up the middle. Simply mind boggling. Chalk this on Reich and his staff.

Oh, but he's a veteran don't you know and we're too nice to hurt his feelings and all...

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Lol,  also 4th and 1 and you send a 170 lb back up the middle deep in the red zone where the defence will stack up and you have a beast of a running back you drafted for plays like this to go up the middle. Simply mind boggling. Chalk this on Reich and his staff.

I got the overwhelming sense that Frank was trying to be pretty and outsmart everyone. Which is also why he didn't run the damn ball all game. 

Less than 100 yards rushing should be a disgrace to this unit. 

• Like 4

Stop.  Only warming seat should be Eberflus.  Ballards gonna have to make a decision on the D soon.  Reich and Ballard are good enough to bring a Lombardi back to indy.  Every team loses games but our D is consistently soft.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

You kick the FG and go up two scores on the road, especially in game one.  What's more, give the rookie kicker some easy kicks as a side bonus.   Go up two on the road, especially against a non-explosive offense...an easy call! 

• Like 2

Pretty positive HOF Dungy would’ve taken those give me 3 pts early, instead of going for it 4th and 1.  I fundamentally disagree with not taking those points that early, already up 7-0.   My one complaint about Reich is this trendy “aggressiveness”, to the sacrifice of early 3 point give me’s, for those missed points seem to always come back and bite ya.  Maybe not the reason for the loss, but a coaching decision I loathe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

People will talk.

Good thing Irsay doesn't listen to those people.

Is the seat getting hot for Ballard or Reich?  Uh, it's a week 1 loss on the road after no preseason.  So no.  No, their seats are not getting hot.

If anything, I can see this loss being the catalyst for a winning streak.

• Thanks 3

This DC and his play calling or the lack thereof may get Frank on the hot seat. A 19 of 20 performance will normally get you wind-sprints  the next practice. This soft zone is disturbing 

Rivers will be alright at QB. If the Colts didn’t have him. This game would have been a blow out. Rivers is a real threat and the defense plays him accordingly 

I am interested to see what adjustments Frank and Rivers makes this week. I have a bad feeling the Colts secondary will make none, but we’ll see

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Good thing Irsay doesn't listen to those people.

Is the seat getting hot for Ballard or Reich?  Uh, it's a week 1 loss on the road after no preseason.  So no.  No, their seats are not getting hot.

If anything, I can see this loss being the catalyst for a winning streak.

He sure should have listened to them in the past about Pagano. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
48 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I got the overwhelming sense that Frank was trying to be pretty and outsmart everyone. Which is also why he didn't run the damn ball all game. 

Less than 100 yards rushing should be a disgrace to this unit. 

Every time we play at Jax for some reason he does this. He did it even when Andrew was here

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

No he shouldn't have.

Any owner that listens to the whiny fans that come out of the woodwork after every loss shouldn't own a team.

Wasn't thinking about fans. Who thinks about them? Clearly not the Colts or NFL.  Pagano at most should have left with the GM. Hindsight proved that to be true.

And if Grigson's win % got him fired then what about Ballard's? Fans hated Grigson and what do you know, Irsay agreed with them and fired him first. Huh... funny that. 

The team wasn't ready. The play calling was flat. The defense was flat minus a couple sacks.  

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

The team wasn't ready. The play calling was flat. The defense was flat minus a couple sacks.

Agreed.

But let's see how the next few weeks play out.  We could go into the bye 0-6, or 5-1.

"Hot seat" threads after week 1?  C'mon, man...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Was it a bad loss to presumably a bad team? Yes, but let's not get carried away. The Jags FO might want to tank but I'm sure the Jags players took offense to everyone saying they are going to suck. Everything that could go wrong for the Colts did go wrong and they were bad in all three phases. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Look at it this way, we’re in the running for Lawrence....:peek:

Yup... I opened with that at the top. People falsely accused the wrong team of tanking eh?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Certainly not the GM seat. This team has plenty of talent, which is the GM’s job. Buckner didn’t just forget how to play. He was a stud in San Fran. I think it’s more coaching and not be prepared. 

I agree I believe Reich and flus should be on the hot seat not Ballard, it’s ridiculous that we did not control and try to manage better clock by running more, should have easily been over 100 yards rushing, bad play calling bad defensive scheme, no reason why we should have not been in the the back field considering we have Buckner etc.....

After calming down some and seeing how some of the other new QBs played in their first game with a new team, I think I overreacted some to the loss. I do think that it is clear that not having a preseason hurt the team. I think we struggled the same way the Bucs struggled, lack of chemistry on the offense and sloppy situational football. That lack of situational football hurt our redzone percentage and the lack of chemistry I believe is the reason we saw a lot of check down passes on offense. As for defense our secondary will get better once they get some experience playing together. We have good players they just need to learn how to play together.

On the plus side I think we will see us get better as the season progresses it may be a rough September but hopefully by October we will be rolling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think Ballard’s seat is warm at all.  I think there is talent on this roster.  I do think Frank’s seat might be warm but it’s also one game.  They aren’t going to fire him based on today.  However if today is an indicator of how the season will go yeah I think Frank could be in some trouble but I think it’s premature to talk about him getting fired.

• Thanks 2
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think Ballard’s seat is warm at all.  I think there is talent on this roster.  I do think Frank’s seat might be warm but it’s also one game.  They aren’t going to fire him based on today.  However if today is an indicator of how the season will go yeah I think Frank could be in some trouble but I think it’s premature to talk about him getting fired.

Yep. We just looked rusty today. Really a lot of mental mistakes. But I think this is the most talented team in paper that we have ever had since Peyton left

• Thanks 1
Just now, csmopar said:

Yep. We just looked rusty today. Really a lot of mental mistakes. But I think this is the most talented team in paper that we have ever had since Peyton left

I’d agree with that although I do question the talent in the secondary a little bit but they get 15 more games to prove themselves.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I’d agree with that although I do question the talent in the secondary a little bit but they get 15 more games to prove themselves.  

Yeah definitely agree there

• Shive changed the title to Coaching/GM seat getting hot? (MERGED)
  • Shive locked this topic