Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

7 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yup.  Compared them.  Kamara ran for 18 yards on 7 carries in his first game as a rookie.  Does this mean jt is better??  Nope.  Means nothing. 

Kamara still isn’t great between the tackles.  That’s not his game usually.  They usually have guts like Murray or Ingram take those type of carries.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Were we watching the same Taylor?   Because I thought he looked tantalizingly fast, talented, and physical for a rookie RB.   Also looked better catching the ball than I ever expec

Taylor should have gotten the ball on that 4th and 1.

And the history of bad threads from the ol Nickster continues...  

Posted Images

6 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

No preseason, this was basically his FIRST NFL live contact, and they ended up playing him more than expected due to Mack going down and because the guy didn't average 4 ypc behind an OL that was CLEARLY playing below it's expectations, we're gonna throw this rookie under the bus?  C'mon!

Good thing we didn't do the same with Reggie Wayne, huh?  Hey, he wasn't great but there's plenty of blame to go around.  JT wasn't the worst thing by far we saw out there on Sunday.

How did the online perform below expectations?

looked to me like rivers had tons of TTT and running game looked fine before Mack’s injury.

41 minutes ago, Nickster said:

looked to me like rivers had tons of TTT and running game looked fine before Mack’s injury.

I would like to apologize. I called you a troll yesterday cause I saw tons of them spouting off nonsense and I took off my annoyance on you. You have posted some reasoning behind your beliefs and therefore I will move on.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

49 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would like to apologize. I called you a troll yesterday cause I saw tons of them spouting off nonsense and I took off my annoyance on you. You have posted some reasoning behind your beliefs and therefore I will move on.

No problem dude.  Totally understand.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

Just a sidenote, since we're scouting box scores:

Saquon Barkley ran 15 times for 6 yards tonight. So on the brightside, this must mean our rookie RB is better than a consensus top 5 NFL RB. 

Terrible  blocking  lol

15 hours ago, Nickster said:

1st drive, yes.  After that it was not very good.  I think if you asked anybody on that OL they would probably agree with me.  Or maybe we're watching different games, I dunno?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

1st drive, yes.  After that it was not very good.  I think if you asked anybody on that OL they would probably agree with me.  Or maybe we're watching different games, I dunno?

I agree with you. On the first drive, Mack had runs of 18 and 8 yards. After that, his next two runs were 3 yards and -3 yards, and then he was done. I think if the coaching staff thought the line was doing a good job of run blocking throughout the game, the Colts would have run the ball more. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

It was brutal, lol

RBC is good and all but RBs sometimes need to get into a rhythm with a few carries together. I would sometimes get frustrated when Peyton would call a run on 2nd down when the 1st down run went for just 1 or 2 yards. Coaches and QBs can tend to get impatient nowadays.

One, commitment to the run and two, establishing a rhythm for an RB was clearly understood by the best field general that was playing QB. When he ran the clock out to 40 seconds before snapping, some were frustrated but then when Matt Ryan and the Falcons snapped early and often, and paid the price in the 4th qtr. of the SB, you realized how precious those seconds were for the OL to rest, the D in different ways, and playing clock control to ice the game later. I miss Peyton, can you tell? :) 

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jaredfor3 said:

Taylor should have gotten the ball on that 4th and 1.

Maybe, but others say-

On 9/13/2020 at 5:26 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

I at least agree that he wasn’t especially good running the ball. 

and...

On 9/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, AZColt11 said:

I thought he looked a little tentative on a few runs, probably zigged when he should have zagged on a couple of plays. 

Nelson was beaten by his man and stuffed that N. Hines 4th and 1 play.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:29 PM, Nickster said:

He had 22 yds on 9 carries. 

I thought the play calling was horrible. {snip}

I am pretty sure the staff do not think JT is ready.

I agree HC's can overthink and/or outsmart themselves at times. But there's no guarantee JT would have picked up the 11st down either (Jags D made a play, they get paid too).

Panthers didn't run Christian McCaffery on a 4th and a short 1, gave it to Alex Armah and they failed.Folks upset.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article245624840.html

Mike Vrabel didn't give it to Derrick Henry on 4th and a short 1 (at the goal line) either. Nobody is even talking about it. Why? Tannehill completed the TD pass.

https://clutchpoints.com/titans-video-ryan-tannehill-throws-go-ahead-td-pass-on-4th-and-goal-vs-broncos/

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

THey gave up 0 sacks in 41 pass attempts.  And very few pressures.  SO they were outstanding in pass pro.  As good as it gets.

Backs not named Jonathon Taylor gained 66 yds on 13 carries for a 5.1 ypc which is excellent. 

No it appears we weren't watching the same game.  Hell they even average 4 ypc WITH Taylors 2.4 ypc on 9 carries. 

On 9/13/2020 at 4:57 PM, Nickster said:

Looked awful.  Can’t make the edge.  Looked dancy up the middle.  Had the one good gain in the pass where he ran over the CB 20 yds downfield.  Wisco RBs are like Japanese receivers to me. I’ll believe it when I see it. That KC kid looks way better than Taylor.  RBs should be able to come in and produce right away in many cases.  I hope I eat crow but I’m not seeing it.  Was definitely the 3rd option.  

Nothing  was encouraging today.  Except Campbell.  Dline was terrible.  When Mack went we could not run.  Boy oh boy we looked bad.  Rivers looked awful in decision making.  I was a big fan of the signing.

Myles Jack would disagree.  Also, Rivers looked awful in decision making?  He was 36/46 for 363 yards.  He made 2 really bad decisions but you make it sound like he was awful the entire game. :facepalm:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J@son said:

Myles Jack would disagree.  Also, Rivers looked awful in decision making?  He was 36/46 for 363 yards.  He made 2 really bad decisions but you make it sound like he was awful the entire game. :facepalm:

Well look man when you throw right into double coverage three times, thats awful decision making overall for a QB.  One INT was negated if I remember right.  You can' t throw those balls and win very often.

I didn't he looked bad overall but his mistakes had probably the biggest impact on losing the game.  

When did Taylor make the edge on Miles Jack?  

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well look man when you throw right into double coverage three times, thats awful decision making overall for a QB.  One INT was negated if I remember right.  You can' t throw those balls and win very often.

I didn't he looked bad overall but his mistakes had probably the biggest impact on losing the game.  

Try watching the game. The announcers even made a point to mention how fast Taylor was around the edge because Jack had a good angle... Taylor just out ran him. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Other than Campbell I thought Taylor was the second brightest thing about Sunday.  To each their own I guess.

Well Taylor didn't rush for 138 yards in his first game like Edwards-Helaire did for the Chiefs, so Taylor is obviously a bust.

/sarcasm

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, J@son said:

Try watching the game. The announcers even made a point to mention how fast Taylor was around the edge because Jack had a good angle... Taylor just out ran him. 

On a run?  Which run did he make the edge?  

18 minutes ago, J@son said:

Now in the passing game in the open field he looked explosive but I don’t remember him running outside effectively.

i watched bud.

he is definitely an initial burst guy who will be good in the open field after he makes a catch if he can get going forward and if there are clear running lanes downhill.  He is definitely talented there.

watch Mack’s 18 yd run.  That is what I didn’t see Taylor do.  See the lane and hit it.  There is no “hole”.  He sees the cutback and hits it. 

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Now in the passing game in the open field he looked explosive but I don’t remember him running outside effectively.

i watched bud.

he is definitely an initial burst guy who will be good in the open field after he makes a catch if he can get going forward and if there are clear running lanes downhill.  He is definitely talented there.

watch Mack’s 18 yd run.  That is what I didn’t see Taylor do.  See the lane and hit it.  There is no “hole”.  He sees the cutback and hits it. 

In Marlon Mack's first game as a pro in 2017, he had 10 carries for 24 yards. I don't think you can accurately judge Taylor's abilities on a handful of carries as a backup in his first game. 

20 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

In Marlon Mack's first game as a pro in 2017, he had 10 carries for 24 yards. I don't think you can accurately judge Taylor's abilities on a handful of carries as a backup in his first game. 

I said he was unimpressive.  I meant he was unimpressive running it.  That would look better in the subject line and express more my concerns.  

I am very wary of Wisco RBs. They get huge running lanes against cornfield teams and run it constant with very tough run blocking lineman,  The history of highly drafted Wisco running backs since Dayne in the mid 90s is clear.  Makes me cautious.  Badger football inflates RB numbers.  Gordon was decent.  But he’s only averaged over 3.9 ypc once.  Decent pass catcher.  Not worth the puck iMO. James white is a good receiver.  Ball, Johnson, Dayne were all major busts.  There is a pattern here.

Taylor will be explosive when he gets to the second level, but it’s hard getting to the second level in the NFL.

and I’m really disappointed Marlon is out. I think he’s drastically underrated on the board and I think it will become obvious.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:17 PM, Nickster said:

The other 2 backs had 54 yds on 11 carries.  JT had 22 on 9.  

This guy is supposed to b explosive between the tackles and he looked like Ron Dayne or Trent Richardson to me between the tackles.

I can't agree with your assessment on JT at all.. He looks explosive and showed in the passing game. 

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

I said he was unimpressive.  I meant he was unimpressive running it.  That would look better in the subject line and express more my concerns.  

I am very wary of Wisco RBs. They get huge running lanes against cornfield teams and run it constant with very tough run blocking lineman,  The history of highly drafted Wisco running backs since Dayne in the mid 90s is clear.  Makes me cautious.  Badger football inflates RB numbers.  Gordon was decent.  But he’s only averaged over 3.9 ypc once.  Decent pass catcher.  Not worth the puck iMO. James white is a good receiver.  Ball, Johnson, Dayne were all major busts.  There is a pattern here.

Taylor will be explosive when he gets to the second level, but it’s hard getting to the second level in the NFL.

and I’m really disappointed Marlon is out. I think he’s drastically underrated on the board and I think it will become obvious.

It is disappointing  marlon is out, but that is one of the reasons  I wanted a rb drafted high.Granted not sure taylor is the right guy to run it or another Richardson 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

It is disappointing  marlon is out, but that is one of the reasons  I wanted a rb drafted high.Granted not sure taylor is the right guy to run it or another Richardson 

We will be picking someone else up.  I would be surprised to see Taylor taking more than half the carries in a couple of weeks.

Taylor is an NFL player unlike TRich, but I don’t think he’s going to be the Runner many people on here think he’s going to be.  

I think we are going to see poor o-line play across the board for another few weeks. The group that got hit the hardest with new practice rules a few years back was the o-line. Can imagine Covid put them in an even more bind. It’s going to take a few weeks to get comfortable as a unit, regardless of experience and talent. we obviously know what this group is capable of. It’ll come.

I think its worth mentioning that the first quarter/first half game plan didn't include much of Taylor - by design. With that in mind, it stands to reason that when Mack was injured Taylor was called on in a capacity that the Colts didn't plan for and/or maybe didn't prepare him for. 

20 hours ago, Nickster said:

THey gave up 0 sacks in 41 pass attempts.  And very few pressures.  SO they were outstanding in pass pro.  As good as it gets.

Backs not named Jonathon Taylor gained 66 yds on 13 carries for a 5.1 ypc which is excellent. 

No it appears we weren't watching the same game.  Hell they even average 4 ypc WITH Taylors 2.4 ypc on 9 carries. 

Yes because stats are the only thing that matters.  I guess maybe the Colts really DID win the game then?  Colts are now ranked 3rd offensively and 2nd defensively.  This team is the best team in the NFL right now!

• Thanks 1
On 9/15/2020 at 1:47 PM, Nickster said:

• Like 1
On 9/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, Nickster said:

U throw 46 times u will make mistakes

17 hours ago, J@son said:

Second play in the video

I couldn't find the video.  He has blazing straight line speed but you do know the difference between that and lateral quickness right?

I'll take your word for it if you say he made the edge on a run, but I don't recall it.  He gained 22 yds on 9 carries so he couldn't have gotten to far around the edge.

Now if your video is of the catch 1. that is not a run and 2. the edge left and went to the other side of the field off of that fake.  This is not what I am talking about.  I'm talking about bouncing to the outside like Mack did on the 18 yd. run.  This is the concer I have about Taylor in the running game

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U throw 46 times u will make mistakes

Definitely.  But those mistakes don't have to be as bad as the ones he had on Sunday.  Those were really bad choices for a 38 year old QB.

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I couldn't find the video. 

lol.  wut?  How could you not find it.  It's in the first post in the thread I linked.  It's also embedded in the post by Mr. NotSoCreative right above mine in this thread.

50 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Definitely.

31 minutes ago, J@son said:

lol.  wut?  How could you not find it.  It's in the first post in the thread I linked.  It's also embedded in the post by Mr. NotSoCreative right above mine in this thread.

My work computer blocks twitter.  But you are saying there is video of him making the edge on a run play right?  I've said a few times that the thread should have said JT unimpressive running.   I am not really talking about the receiving which was obviously a positive.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:22 AM, BeanDiasucci said:

I agree with you. On the first drive, Mack had runs of 18 and 8 yards. After that, his next two runs were 3 yards and -3 yards, and then he was done. I think if the coaching staff thought the line was doing a good job of run blocking throughout the game, the Colts would have run the ball more. 

I think Jags D made great adjustments to our line call and the holes just weren't there when JT ran up the middle 3 times in a row on that one drive?  You think with JT in the game, they wouldn't?  This explains his 2.2 yds per carry as there was nowhere to run.  With Mack in the game, they couldn't commit to run or pass and that made them off balance.  Now that JT is the starter we must continue to mix up the run/pass ratio and show diff formations with different results to keep the D guessing.  Key to our running game success because no matter how good our line is, if your predictable it doesn't matter.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:31 PM, Nickster said:

I think they realize Taylor is not ready between the tackles.  

hope I’m wrong boys but he did not look good running it.

Gotta disagree with you here Nickster.  Taylor racked up almost a thousand carries at Wisconsin with over 6k yards.  I doubt he's got any issues being ready between the tackles at the NFL level.

They just gotta get him ready now.  Make sure he knows his assignments basically.  Nothing against Mack here, but Taylor's a big play back.  He can flip things for you with just a seam at the line of scrimmage.

30 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Gotta disagree with you here Nickster.  Taylor racked up almost a thousand carries at Wisconsin with over 6k yards.  I doubt he's got any issues being ready between the tackles at the NFL level.

They just gotta get him ready now.  Make sure he knows his assignments basically.  Nothing against Mack here, but Taylor's a big play back.  Hee can flip things for you with just a seam at the line of scrimmage.

My questions are can he find the crack and what will he do mean the crack ain’t there.  Wisconsin doesn’t do cracks, they block chasms against the cornfield circuit.

• Nadine locked this topic