Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Were we watching the same Taylor?   Because I thought he looked tantalizingly fast, talented, and physical for a rookie RB.   Also looked better catching the ball than I ever expec

Taylor should have gotten the ball on that 4th and 1.

And the history of bad threads from the ol Nickster continues...  

Posted Images

It’s the 1st game so I’ll give it a pass. I thought Taylor tried running it up the gut and got ate up every time. Then he tried running up the edges. Mack had great running up the middle but unfortunately has many injuries. 

Just now, krunk said:

Taylor looked fine to me for a rookie.  The Nickster never liked the pick to begin with so it's no surprise he's here being a hater. 

Didn’t like the pick because I don’t think RBs are valuable enough to be drafted high.  He’s definitely not ready.  They weren’t going to play him much at all till Mack came up lame.  Watch his carries again if you can and tell me what looked good.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Looked awful.  Can’t make the edge.  Looked dancy up the middle.  Had the one good gain in the pass where he ran over the CB 20 yds downfield.  Wisco RBs are like Japanese receivers to me. I’ll believe it when I see it. That KC kid looks way better than Taylor.  RBs should be able to come in and produce right away in many cases.  I hope I eat crow but I’m not seeing it.  Was definitely the 3rd option.  

Nothing  was encouraging today.  Except Campbell.  Dline was terrible.  When Mack went we could not run.  Boy oh boy we looked bad.  Rivers looked awful in decision making.  I was a big fan of the signing.

I thought Taylor was one of two bright spots today. The second? We're still in the hunt for Lawrence!  The saddest things today? Pittman Jr., Rivers, Buckner and Flus....

2nd round isnt high for a game changing back,  top 5 like Barkley yes and even top 15 but he came mid 2nd round and had the most yards in college football history. Now that Mack is out thank goodness we made the pick.    Some people think top 10 is high for a Guard, think Q worked out very well for us.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I thought Taylor was one of two bright spots today. The second? We're still in the hunt for Lawrence!  The saddest things today? Pittman Jr., Rivers, Buckner and Flus....

Rookie WRs almost never produce.  So not worried there.  Buckner sure wasn’t great today.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm guessing that as this season progresses, Taylor is going to make you eat all your words you've been posting since he was drafted.  :thmup:

Hope you are right bud.  Really do.  Thought the same think about TRich first game I watched.  

JT was tentative and looked like he was waiting for massive holes and didn’t see cut back lanes.

And for the record I’m not writing the guy off, but his running was very uninspiring. Outside of his first catch which was a counter type play which totally fooled the d, he was not very good.  That is all I’m saying.

RB Is the position most likely to be productive for rookies.  However, Wisco runs a primitive offense, so it is also understandable that they had very little for him in the game plan.

to me his runs between the tackles were unimpressive.  History is not kind to high yardage backs from Wisco,

still skeptical 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Looked awful.  Can’t make the edge.  Looked dancy up the middle.  Had the one good gain in the pass where he ran over the CB 20 yds downfield.  Wisco RBs are like Japanese receivers to me. I’ll believe it when I see it. That KC kid looks way better than Taylor.  RBs should be able to come in and produce right away in many cases.  I hope I eat crow but I’m not seeing it.  Was definitely the 3rd option.  

Nothing  was encouraging today.  Except Campbell.  Dline was terrible.  When Mack went we could not run.  Boy oh boy we looked bad.  Rivers looked awful in decision making.  I was a big fan of the signing.

You buggin tf out. Jonathan Taylor looked solid today. 

I have to agree, that after watching the condensed version of the game,  Taylor as a RB  was not hitting holes.   He was exciting to see as a catcher in open space, but I felt like he was not patient enough and kept running into the holes too quickly.   The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind in regards to him today was the inabilty to pick up a first down in three tries from one yard out.   I believe that was him.  For everyone stating there were no holes,  Mack had holes.   I just think Taylor wasn't seeing them.   I definitely have not written him off,  I just  have a bad first impression from an RB perspective for me.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

I have to agree, that after watching the condensed version of the game,  Taylor as a RB  was not hitting holes.   He was exciting to see as a catcher in open space, but I felt like he was not patient enough and kept running into the holes too quickly.   The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind in regards to him today was the inabilty to pick up a first down in three tries from one yard out.   I believe that was him.  For everyone stating there were no holes,  Mack had holes.   I just think Taylor wasn't seeing them.   I definitely have not written him off,  I just  have a bad first impression from an RB perspective for me.

Mack didn’t have any holes. Most of his runs were outside zone stretch runs. We were lucky to get the few yards we did. Our OLine didn’t have a good game today in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

Mack didn’t have any holes. Most of his runs were outside zone stretch runs. We were lucky to get the few yards we did. Our OLine didn’t have a good game today in my opinion. 

I may stand corrected then, but point is Mack was getting it done, and wasn't just running into people, and I was hoping to see Taylor do the same, but that didn't happen. 

On the contrary...he was quite impressive in the passing game...which is exactly what I was hoping to see. Colts haven’t had a pass catching

weapon like Taylor in a long time.

He’s fast and powerful and will be a chunk yard machine as a pass catcher. The running game will come eventually.

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Dude you expect him to be a superstar his nfl debut like lol he played really good for barely getting any snaps until mack got hurt

I thought he looked nice in the passing game and had a few decent runs in the shotgun and on screens.

You could see his burst and nimbleness.  It's not all going to be perfect for a guy getting his first playing

time.   I don't have much doubt he'll be fine as we move along.  Needs more involvement.

29 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

Dude you expect him to be a superstar his nfl debut like lol he played really good for barely getting any snaps until mack got hurt

Yep he should be like helaire from chiefs

6 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

That’s not what I said.  I said he couldn’t make the edge, and that he looked bad running between the tackles and that I wasn’t writing him off but was unimpressed.

i probably should have said JT unimpressive running instead.  And I stand by it.  I looked at the cut ups.  There were more than 22 yds possible in his 9 carries.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I thought he looked nice in the passing game and had a few decent runs in the shotgun and on screens.

You could see his burst and nimbleness.  It's not all going to be perfect for a guy getting his first playing

time.   I don't have much doubt he'll be fine as we move along.  Needs more involvement.

Didn’t see much wiggle but the main thing that I didn’t see is vision or instinct.  He did show burst but I only saw it in a straight line.  Didn’t see lateral quickness displayed yesterday.

Jonathan Taylor could not run between the tackles. He had 9 carries for 22 yards, averaging 2.4 ypc. He had the most amount of carries of any of our RBs and the least rushing yards. Not impressive, and I'm a fan of his. He could not make anyone miss, had no wiggle, and no vision. He ran straight into the backs of our O-lineman. I hope he gets better, but there's no way around this -- he did not look good in the run game.

image.thumb.png.665680a3b9630406e9db5dc824e1c69e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, ColtOriolePrime said:

JT was better in  the passing game than I expected, but I did not see a fluid and instinctive runner. 

Compare for example Kamara with the Saints hitting the whole with what we saw from JT today.  Not saying JT cannot get much better, it is like comparing a pro with a high school rb. 

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. This is a player in his first game. Kamara is in his 4th year. You can't compare the two. Give the rookie time.

Yup.  Compared them.  Kamara ran for 18 yards on 7 carries in his first game as a rookie.  Does this mean jt is better??  Nope.  Means nothing. 

• Like 2

No preseason, this was basically his FIRST NFL live contact, and they ended up playing him more than expected due to Mack going down and because the guy didn't average 4 ypc behind an OL that was CLEARLY playing below it's expectations, we're gonna throw this rookie under the bus?  C'mon!

Good thing we didn't do the same with Reggie Wayne, huh?  Hey, he wasn't great but there's plenty of blame to go around.  JT wasn't the worst thing by far we saw out there on Sunday.

• Like 2

Frank and his staff blew this one, not prepared and out coached again, and will be out coached again with the Vikings.  We're staring at 0-2 folks, with less than 10% chance of making the playoffs after next week.  Might as well tank for T.L....

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think they realize Taylor is not ready between the tackles.  

hope I’m wrong boys but he did not look good running it.

I don't think Jimmy Brown would have been ready to run between the tackles yesterday. Our Oline looked bad and the play calling was bad. Frank did a horrible job of mixing the run or pass. I missed the first TD drive  but for the rest of the game it seemed that  play selection was not good. 

I was shocked that Jax was able to control the LOS on both sides of the line. They lost their best 2 DL during the off season and still controlled our vaunted Oline. Also just one game but I wasn't impressed with Buckner.

Just a comment on the crack back block they called on Doyle. Thought it was a very poor call on a very critical play that certainly had an impact on the outcome of the game. Just my opinion.

I was okay with his performance. It kind of seems he may not know the playbook very well. He stated after the game that the RB coach did a great job of prepping him for the 1st game.

I think he will be okay but this board has talked about him like a future Hall of Famer. I would SLOWW down on that for sure.

22 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

9 carries with rivers throwing it 41+ times. 

Colts decided that the running game isn't their strength. 

Today's loss is on Frank. 

Yeah, I'm starting to question Reich's coaching and especially his play calling at times was very poor. I mean he had flashes of very good play calling then at times very poor play calling he is very inconsistent. JMO  So yes you can very much put it on him at least to a extent and I like Reich just being realistic. 

22 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

More like some fans have unrealistic expectations too soon. I thought Taylor played well enough. Give him some time and more carries. He can’t make Reich run the ball more. 

Fans definitely have unrealistic expectations but you cannot really look at 9 carries for 22 yards and think he looked good in the game.  I think some of it he just needs to learn, some of the moves he tied making were ones that work in the college game when you are going against inferior opponents but they are not going to work in the NFL.  He needs to learn to be a bit more patient waiting for the hole to develop and then he needs to learn to just run and not try to make too many moves while near the pile.

But out in open space he looked every bit as fast as his 40 time indicated.

• Like 2
  • Nadine locked this topic