Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Despite the loss i liked what i saw today...

Rivers looked real good behind the pocket and that first series drive we had was great coaching and just masterfully done well. yes we lost to the jags but look at situation we were in. No game planning film for either team, Mack goes down with an injury which really hurt us the rest of the game, and worst of all we were playing an away game with rookies who never have seen game action period. i mean id even be bold enough to say that if this were 2012 and rookie Luck were starting i'm sure wed have the same results today if not worst because he would had never seen game action due to no preseason. What i'm trying to say is just take a chill pill y'all were gonna bounce back next week because there will actually be game film of the vikings so i'm already ready to put this game behind me and cant wait for home opener...Go Colts

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Rivers looked real good behind the pocket and that first series drive we had was great coaching and just masterfully done well. yes we lost to the jags but look at situation we were in. No game planning film for either team, Mack goes down with an injury which really hurt us the rest of the game, and worst of all we were playing an away game with rookies who never have seen game action period. i mean id even be bold enough to say that if this were 2012 and rookie Luck were starting i'm sure wed have the same results today if not worst because he would had never seen game action due to no preseason. What i'm trying to say is just take a chill pill y'all were gonna bounce back next week because there will actually be game film of the vikings so i'm already ready to put this game behind me and cant wait for home opener...Go Colts

What’s the excuse for the defense? It more of the same. Allowing a team to march up and down the field. No pressure on Minshew. WRs  open all over.

The O-Line was disappointing also

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our zone d has to be the softest in the history of the league (probably exaggerating but sometimes I wonder).  Quarterbacks can basically easily play catch for short passes all day.  Our D line gets very little chance to blitz because the pass is always going to be short.  Short passes that are never incomplete will eventually land you in the end zone if you just keep doing them.

Same ish different year for this defense.

Offense was alright I suppose, didn't really see Pittman at all though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

What’s the excuse for the defense? It more of the same. Allowing a team to march up and down the field. No pressure on Minshew. WRs  open all over.

The O-Line was disappointing also

O line was not good as you say. Probably game over if Nelson gets a little push on that 4th and one. The LB's were really poor as was the secondary. 

I'm not gonna make any stupid posts I'll regret later because I'm still upset and SHOCKED by what I just witnessed.  But I'm down man, I'm down.  I just thought we made some great moves in the off-season, I loved our draft, we were healthy going into this game, the front end of the schedule was VERY favorable, and we come out right off the bat and march down the field for 7.  Things looked great.  Then Mack went down, our defense didn't show up, turnovers kill us, and now I don't know what to think.  Was this just a trap?  Were the players overlooking this team?  Did they just expect a W?  Or is this the team we get the rest of the way.  Either way, I'm down right now.  Could be better next week but not right this minute.  A little worried tbh.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Our zone d has to be the softest in the history of the league (probably exaggerating but sometimes I wonder).  Quarterbacks can basically easily play catch for short passes all day.  Our D line gets very little chance to blitz because the pass is always going to be short.  Short passes that are never incomplete will eventually land you in the end zone if you just keep doing them.

Same ish different year for this defense.

Offense was alright I suppose, didn't really see Pittman at all though.

Yeah ...you need drops and or penalties if you choose not to cover receivers.

12 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The Colts lost to a talentless Jags team. They dont have half the playmakers as last year. Don't accept this loss. Jags are in our division so this loss almost counts as two losses. Are you expecting the jags to make the playoffs? if so then the Colts are the wildcard? smh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

O line was not good as you say. Probably game over if Nelson gets a little push on that 4th and one. The LB's were really poor as was the secondary. 

Little Hines up the middle on 4th and one with Taylor on the bench?  Seriously.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Offensively, we need to play an upscale version of how we played last year with Jacoby - run the ball with Taylor, but add a little more flair to the gameplan.  One, you can't put it all on Rivers and expect him to play mistake free at this point, and two, this defense only looks respectable when the running game protects it.  When the running game went away at the end of last season, the defense, in particular the pass defense, was horrible.

Kinda GIF by memecandy

Ehhhh... 

It was nice to see so many guys catching passes. Mainly because they weren’t dropping them. (*TY looks away nervously*)

The running game looked alright at times, but here we go: that’s a problem. We came into this season boasting about having the best offensive line in football, and... they didn’t look all that great out there today. They got flat out stood straight up and spanked on more than one occasion today by the Jacksonville unknowns. I just watched the whole game and I can’t tell you who is on the Jags front 4 without googling it. As far as imposing units go, they aren’t one. But they sure did look like it today. 

And all of that was supposed to be a strength for us. We did the thing we do best pretty damn suspect today. 

The defense is the same crap it’s always been. We still do that thing where we let guys you don’t even know before kickoff look like all-pro talent. Even despite our shiny, expensive new piece.

The secondary is lining up somewhere between 35 and 40 yards off of receivers. We make a really vested effort to make sure they catch the ball cleanly and get some extra yards after. There aren’t many people on the face of this planet who couldn’t have thrown that last TD that Minshew did. They cleared a whole third of the field off for that little pitch and catch. There was just... no one. Anywhere. Or within shouting distance.

The bad absolutely outweighed the good today. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Little Hines up the middle on 4th and one with Taylor on the bench?  Seriously.

And the Jacoby red zone play was brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Huh????

• Like 1

TBH I am little worried about Rivers.  He is picking up where he left off last year.  Throwing into tight coverage and his longer balls tend to hang.  He has a weird throwing motion.  Almost pushes the ball in some instances.  We came out throwing more than I thought we would.  I was expecting a strong run game with Mack and Taylor.  Taylor only went in because of Macks injury.  Made no sense to me.  Even on 4th and one he's on the bench.  What was Siranni thinking?  And that Brissett play?  Ouch!  I didn't like the game plan.  The defensive game plan wasn't any better.  My first impression of Rhodes is not a good one. I thought they were going after him and he particularly struggled.  I think we were out coached today as well as being outplayed.  Very disappointed.  

• Like 1

When schedules were released and I made my preseason picks...I had this one as a loss for the Colts.  So not really surprised because this team seldom wins down in Jax and has been on a long season opener losing streak.  Many slept on the Jags and the trends here with this series. All that said I had the Colts at 9-7 and contending for a wildcard spot with the expanded playoffs.  As disappointing as today was for many...they are still on track for that.  I think we can bounce back next week at home against the Vikes. But the team will have to coach and play much better than they did today. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree with you offensively. We moved the ball effortlessly for most of the game. Rivers was doing a good job distributing too. With that said, we needed to do better finishing drives and I didn't like the play calls on the goal line. Rivers continues to make some horrible decisions, I wish he would cut those down. 

On the other hand, the defense was horrific through and through. I didn't see any redeeming moments there at all. And this was Gardner Minshew we were playing against!!! There were blown coverages, there were misunderstandings, there were soft tackles... There was Xavier Rhodes... (Yeah, he's not back to his all pro days  and the reports of him dominating Pittman seem more worrying now than hopeful). Buckner didn't impact the game at all... Neither did Leonard... Neither did any of our defensive players.... And that's the biggest problem with that defense and has been the problem for ages - we don't impact anything the opponent does with the exception of taking away the deep pass(unless we blow a coverage)... Everything else is available and wide open on demand. How many times are we going to allow an opposing QB to finish a game with 80-90-95% completion percentage. This is just unacceptable.

It's just one game and I wouldn't push the panic button yet, but the bad thing is that it's not like we haven't seen this very same type of defensive performance before. This is not new... It is just continuation of last season and at some point someone needs to take responsibility for it....

Well said my young jedi

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree with you offensively. We moved the ball effortlessly for most of the game. Rivers was doing a good job distributing too. With that said, we needed to do better finishing drives and I didn't like the play calls on the goal line. Rivers continues to make some horrible decisions, I wish he would cut those down. 

On the other hand, the defense was horrific through and through. I didn't see any redeeming moments there at all. And this was Gardner Minshew we were playing against!!! There were blown coverages, there were misunderstandings, there were soft tackles... There was Xavier Rhodes... (Yeah, he's not back to his all pro days  and the reports of him dominating Pittman seem more worrying now than hopeful). Buckner didn't impact the game at all... Neither did Leonard... Neither did any of our defensive players.... And that's the biggest problem with that defense and has been the problem for ages - we don't impact anything the opponent does with the exception of taking away the deep pass(unless we blow a coverage)... Everything else is available and wide open on demand. How many times are we going to allow an opposing QB to finish a game with 80-90-95% completion percentage. This is just unacceptable.

It's just one game and I wouldn't push the panic button yet, but the bad thing is that it's not like we haven't seen this very same type of defensive performance before. This is not new... It is just continuation of last season and at some point someone needs to take responsibility for it....

Yeah I'd agree.  It's not so much that it's just the first week, they COULD have overlooked the Jags a tad, no preseason, etc.  It's just that we've seen this SO many times in Indy, you HOPE you see some signs that it might change.  It didn't give that look today and THAT is what is most concerning.  I really, really, REALLY in my heart thought this defense could crack the top 10 this season.  May still happen.  But I didn't like what I saw today.  At all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Yeah I'd agree.  It's not so much that it's just the first week, they COULD have overlooked the Jags a tad, no preseason, etc.  It's just that we've seen this SO many times in Indy, you HOPE you see some signs that it might change.  It didn't give that look today and THAT is what is most concerning.  I really, really, REALLY in my heart thought this defense could crack the top 10 this season.  May still happen.  But I didn't like what I saw today.  At all.

Agreed.

I think its inexcusable  that its the same problems as last year. That soft zone allowing QB's to make easy completions. At what point does Eburflus and the coaching staff come under pressure for this. This was the big improvement the defense needed to make last offseason, and here we are a year later, same story. Surely the Saints game last year was the line in the sand for Eberflus, where they made our defense look like a bunch of fools. But no, we keep doing the same thing. I've had enough of it tbh.

• Like 2

I imagine teams are gonna start taking away the short stuff from Rivers pretty quickly. I feel like it’s gonna be a somewhat similar story to last years offense. Really didn’t like his velocity on some of those longer throws. 

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm not gonna make any stupid posts I'll regret later because I'm still upset and SHOCKED by what I just witnessed.  But I'm down man, I'm down.  I just thought we made some great moves in the off-season, I loved our draft, we were healthy going into this game, the front end of the schedule was VERY favorable, and we come out right off the bat and march down the field for 7.  Things looked great.  Then Mack went down, our defense didn't show up, turnovers kill us, and now I don't know what to think.  Was this just a trap?  Were the players overlooking this team?  Did they just expect a W?  Or is this the team we get the rest of the way.  Either way, I'm down right now.  Could be better next week but not right this minute.  A little worried tbh.

I feel ya man.

This game was a huge disappointment.  Loss to arguably the least talented NFL franchise.  2 (actually 3) int by our veteran qb. Poor execution on critical downs.  Brissett in the red zone, because why?....... team leader?.  Missed field goal.  Passive, ineffective D......classic colts opener.  Hopefully they'll get serious next week.  This week should have been a cake walk.  Its not over by any means but damn.....

How much longer will Ballard put up with lousy zone defensive scheme? You know your defense is bad when Gardner Minshew, who will not be a starting QB next season, goes 19/20. No idea why Eberflus always gets a pass.

Poor play all over.  O-line was u impressive.  Rivers threw a couple picks.  Hilton laid an egg late with 2 drops.   D line failed to get pressure.  Defence aS bad all over.  Kicker missed a short FG.  Play calling was bad.   An all around poor effort.

3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I thought we had zero problems moving the football.  We were in the red zone on just about every drive except a few here and there.  Problem is most if not all of that was engineered by the passing game.  We needed better balance.  I don't want to see Rivers throwing 46 times every game.  If he's throwing that many times you can pretty much expect 2 or 3 picks a game. 

• Like 1

One thing I will say with Rivers back there the offense is no longer dependant on TY.  He gets the ball to just about everybody.  I still think there is a bit of getting in sync that needs to be done.  On some plays it looked like he thought he was throwing to Kennan Allen or Mike Williams and then woke up from that dream to find it was somebody entirely different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a lot of the game I sort of got the feel that we thought we were definitely better than Jax so we let our foot off the gas.  There was some intensity that was missing.  Felt like we believed we could just turn it on whenver we wanted to, but of course it didn't turn out that way. 

14 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Since last season, I’d watch our team, then watch other games and think - “why do the Colts look like a minor league sort of team compared to the rest?”  

this is why we should of at least had one preseason game so rivers could feel out the offense in a game mode type situation 

• Like 1

I hear all of you long time Colts saying the defensive performance today is typical of recent seasons, which I must admit is quite disheartening. Because as a decades long follower of this game and coach's son it was quite obvious to me today what the problem is.

This isn't a talent issue. In this league, talent issues show up in guys being 1 or 2 steps behind an opponent, or getting pushed 1 or 2 yards back - small, but important, differences like that. But EVERY player in this league is talented enough to be "close" to making the plays.

When you see what we saw today, though, which was multiple players 5, 10, even occasionally 15+ yards away from where he should be, and here's the defining point, not just 2 or 3 times, but ALL FREAKIN' GAME LONG, like this pass coverage was, then there is a very clear and obvious reason for that.

These guys simply do not know where they are supposed to be when each defensive call is made. And there's only one reason for that. These coaches are missing signs from their players in practices and meetings that they aren't getting what the coaches are presenting to them. Somehow these coaches are seeing what they believe is understanding from the players of what they're being taught, and failing to see that that simply isn't happening.

Now I'm not there, of course, so I don't know what the reasons are for this disconnect, but you can't have multiple guys being that far away from where they're supposed to be on that many plays in a game and expect to fool yourself into thinking that they're getting what you're teaching them. There's just no way.

Somebody with this coaching staff had better have the honesty to accept that that's the case here and find out very quickly why this is, or they're going to keep just seeing it again and again.

• Like 2

Jag fan here. I don’t think your Colts had as bad of a game as many on this website are making it out to be. You guys were moving the ball pretty well, but it was a little weird to see you guys stop running the ball and throw 40+ times. I think you had 88 on the ground total. The pass D needs work. And red zone drives need to end in 7 points. 

Also, whether you believe it or not, the Jags are a better team then they were last year. They will show it too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
17 minutes ago, DuvalSzn said:

Jag fan here. I don’t think your Colts had as bad of a game as many on this website are making it out to be. You guys were moving the ball pretty well, but it was a little weird to see you guys stop running the ball and throw 40+ times. I think you had 88 on the ground total. The pass D needs work. And red zone drives need to end in 7 points. 

Also, whether you believe it or not, the Jags are a better team then they were last year. They will show it too. 

They already did.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DuvalSzn said:

Welcome!

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

The guy was on his knees and the little back got tackled by a guy on his knees dude.  Usually blocking a guy into a kneeling position is,considered a good block.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

You do realize we returned a full complement of either last years starters and/or successful veterans right? Our best player on Offense had the least experience at WR. The only rookie who mattered in the game played pretty well at RB. So I have no idea what you are talking about? Sure Pittman Jr. looked lost but he had little to do with the game. Coaching, or lack thereof was the reason we sucked so badly. They aren't rookies either. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I think Mack going down caused more of an issue than anyone realizes. If you watched, until he got hurt Taylor hadn't played. Hines was #2 and Mack #1. When he went out, Taylor had to take that place even though that wasnt the plan today. If Mack stays for the game, I say we would have had more running and won. He was doing well, but him going out changed the plan and I think next week since they know it will be Taylor, they will have the game plan better set to get him going, cuz he did not.

• Like 2
  • Nadine featured and unfeatured this topic