Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time for you guys to eat crow

danlhart87

Rivers started the game strong but faded down the stretch consistent with his history. Game killing picks and all come with the territory with this guy. It’s no secret and was plainly evident when Ballard and Reich signed him for 25 million dollars. 

Reich’s fourth down gamble in the first quarter was unnecessary and breathed life into the Jags.  Could have been a different game if the Colts went up 10-0 at that point. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Rivers started the game strong but faded down the stretch consistent with his history. Game killing picks and all come with the territory with this guy.its no secret and was plainly evident when Ballard and Reich gave him 25 million dollars. 

Reich’s fourth down gamble in the first quarter was unnecessary and breathed life into the Jags.  Could have been a different game if the Colts went up 10-0 at that point. 

I think they need to rely more on Taylor and Hines running it next week. Rivers threw the ball far too much today. 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I think they need to rely more on Taylor and Hines running it next week. Rivers threw the ball far too much today. 

Agreed. Taylor should be the workhorse. Hines is a valuable weapon out of the backfield but shouldn’t be treated as the bell cow.

I hate to keep harping on that 1st quarter gamble at the goal line on 4th and 1 but I was especially incensed that Reich gave the rock to Hines the smallest guy in our backfield.  At least give it to Taylor in that spot.  

And by all means never let Phillip Rivers drop back to pass 40+ times in a game again! 

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Rivers started the game strong but faded down the stretch consistent with his history. Game killing picks and all come with the territory with this guy. It’s no secret and was plainly evident when Ballard and Reich signed him for 25 million dollars. 

You supposedly have the best O-Line in the business. Your left side especially. They didn’t get it done 

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed. Taylor should be the workhorse. Hines is a valuable weapon out of the backfield but shouldn’t be treated as the bell cow.

I hate to keep harping on that 1st quarter gamble at the goal line on 4th and 1 but I was especially incensed that Reich gave the rock to Hines the smallest guy in our backfield.  At least give it to Taylor in that spot.  

And by all means never let Phillip Rivers drop back to pass 40+ times in a game again! 

Next week Rivers hopefully passes 35 tops

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

You supposedly have the best O-Line in the business. Your left side especially. They didn’t get it done 

Yeah...supposedly.  For as much hype as they get we still seldom pick up as many 4th and shorts as we should.  I like our line but feel they are a bit overrated. Nelson is the real road grader. Remove him and the rest of the line isn’t that physical and has suspect depth. 

I did not get to watch game. We usually get the jaguar games here in central Florida. I tried to not get pulled into the imminent

playoff parade atmosphere. I did write that the weather may have a negative affect in being so hot and sticky. Despite that I jumped on here at 4:26 expecting a win. The results shocked me but they should not have.

This has not been a regular season start after 4 preseason games. I think too many players and coaches heads are in the BLM and all the other distractions.

I don't believe this will be a season worth remembering for any team when all said and done.

I believe Reich, Ballard and the coaching staff are moving into the right direction. Anytime your qb is throwing 40 times you usually loose. The defense made Minchew look like Montana. I thought the Colts have the guys to play man to man? Leave it to indy to draft players and put them in positions to fail. They will get it together in a couple of weeks. But it was an unwarranted huge let down non the less. One more thing. JB coming in for a play, what a waste.

I still truly believe the Jags are one of the three worst teams in the league. And they had let their locker room degenerate into such a toxic mess that the good players all wanted out, or had to be run out because they fostered that environment. 

Before today, other than Minshew and Chark you would have had a hard time naming 5 of their players. You probably wouldn’t have gotten to 10. And really it’s still kind of that way. Other than the aforementioned Minshew and Chark they don’t have anyone left to write home about and point out as a great player. 

I never come into any game expecting to win. But I’m quite shooketh by today’s result. Today said way more about us than it did Jacksonville. 

After today this team looks a lot farther off than many expected, but you’re not going to hear much of the same said for Jacksonville. Yeah, Minshew threw 3 TD’s and just a single incompletion. But it was still plenty pedestrian on his part. Just 195 yards, and there wasn’t really any big plays that made you go “look at the killer instinct on that play!” He was just hitting guys we weren’t covering.

The same thing can be said of their running game. This UDFA thrust into a starting spot because they jettisoned Fournette late, and had their other presumed starting RB test positive for the virus didn’t come out and run through us the way he did because he’s some kind of ruby in the mountain of rocks. He didn’t have any awe inspiring plays of any kind. He was just another RB.

We just did a really terrible job stopping him.

Rivers is Rivers. He isn’t going to clean anything up, he isn’t going to do this or that better, he’s a vet in his twilight and there’s no change ahead for him. He is what he is, and it’s what he’s always been. He’ll do well some weeks, but there’s going to be just as many weeks where he will struggle mightily, and right late game situations do not suit him. A change of scenery was never going to be some kind of magic cure for any of that. 

Have we overestimated this team? That will only be answered with time. 

But chapter 1 seems to indicate that may indeed be the case. 

I'm here to eat my share, I expected an easy victory due to Philip's history against the Jags, and their offloading of talent leading up to this game. Gardner Minshew seems to be taking the 2nd year leap, he didn't make mistakes and outplayed Rivers, spreading the ball around comfortably even though he was sacked a few times but he didn't get rattled and I agree with Coltsman1788, I think Reich made a mistake not going for the easy field goal early, to go up by 2 scores.

Another "Thank You" to Chargers Head Coach Anthony Lynn, who in his 1st season with the Bolts a few years ago cut talented veteran kicker Josh Lambo in favor of Internet sensation Younghoe Koo, who only lasted 4 games with the team, (all losses) before being cut himself.

Lambo landed comfortably in Jacksonville where he has yet to miss a kick at TIAA Bank field, and is 9 of 10 from 50 yards & beyond including 1 today, and a 47 yarder.  Josh got a measure of revenge against Lynn that year when he beat the Chargers by kicking the game tying field goal late in the 4th, and the game winner in overtime.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Always seems to be the low post count people that are the most vocal negatively.

For your information I said when they made the trade for Buckner I did not like the trade and I also did not like the Rivers signing. But like usual all the homers brought the hammer out because they all think Ballard is God

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I thought Rivers played OK.  Honestly I take a lot of the blame for what happened tonight and place it on the D.  The whole reason the Jags were supposed to be pushivers this year is because their offense isn't good.  And yet our D couldn't contain that offense.  Clearly we have some issues there to deal with

I also kind of expected this offense to have difficulties finishing drives because we've got so many young wideouts.  It's a fact that experience pays off in the red zone and lack of it can bite you just as hard.  Also losing Mack hurt us a LOT.

The killer is that late game interception by Rivers.  This is literally the worst thing Rivers can do to us and he's already done it once only game he's played for us.  That's worth keeping an eye on.  Other than that he played OK given the state of the team.  We ARE very young on offense.  We DID lose our star RB.  It is explainable what happened to Rivers in this game and it's reasonable to hope it won't repeat.

But bottom line for me, if we can't stop the Jags on defense, this could be a long year.

We're a veteran offense full of returning starters and a supposed HOF QB.  Our D was also full of returning starters. This was an epic coaching fail.  Reich did not have his team ready. Take him at his word: He said they had the talent to go all the way. So it is on him. 

19/20? Flus needs a drastic change of plans. Our scheme and secondary play has allowed the 2 best QB games by % in NFL history in a handful of games over 2 seasons. 

10 minutes ago, BigO said:

For your information I said when they made the trade for Buckner I did not like the trade and I also did not like the Rivers signing. But like usual all the homers brought the hammer out because they all think Ballard is God

Preach!

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I told the majority of people here not to overlook the Jaguars despite everyone saying they are going to tank.

The majority of yall expected a blowout today and I didn't. 

I am sad at this performance but I also know it is just Week 1 so keep your head up. 

Yep.  Division game on the road...always a trap.

Plus, the Colts are not all that better than the Jags (7-9 vs 6-10) last year.

And...it will take a few games for the rookies to get the hang of it.

And...the D stunk up the place.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Besides the two picks I thought rivers look pretty sharp. We should have got Taylor involved in game sooner. Defense was atrocious..... Especially the secondary. Not sure what we can do about that though at this point.

There's room to grow but I know Colts can come back strong 

Buckner didn’t all of a sudden get bad. If he doesn’t have success that falls on the coaches. A new dline coach also may take some time with the way covid effected everything.  Next week will be a true test. If we play great then this was probably just the effect of no preseason and shortened off season. If we have the same issues then we are in deep crap. Cook is going to be a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Buckner didn’t all of a sudden get bad. If he doesn’t have success that falls on the coaches. A new dline coach also may take some time with the way covid effected everything.  Next week will be a true test. If we play great then this was probably just the effect of no preseason and shortened off season. If we have the same issues then we are in deep crap. Cook is going to be a problem. 

if we play great next week all these negative nancies around here will disappear 

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah sometimes Frank gambles too much.  Rule of thumb if you have a chance to get points on the road you do it.  I thought Frank would have learned that lesson a couple of years ago when he passed on field goals vs the Jags and ended up getting shutout when a couple of kicks would have won the game.

oh well it’s that same moxy that lead to him to go for it later in the game on fourth when it worked so at least he’s consistent.  Still I would have rather had the field goal there.

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

if we play great next week all these negative nancies around here will disappear 

I am trying not to over react to much. With no preseason and no OTA it very well could tsk a couple games to get our groove. New dline coach also. Seen SF lost at home today also. Will try to reserve more judgement to see where we are next week. You can’t expect no tackling in TC and no pre season games and have it not effect the first couple of games. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am trying not to over react to much. With no preseason and no OTA it very well could tsk a couple games to get our groove. New dline coach also. Seen SF lost at home today also. Will try to reserve more judgement to see where we are next week. You can’t expect no tackling in TC and no pre season games and have it not effect the first couple of games. 

Cards are gonna make some noise this year 

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I told the majority of people here not to overlook the Jaguars despite everyone saying they are going to tank.

The majority of yall expected a blowout today and I didn't. 

I am sad at this performance but I also know it is just Week 1 so keep your head up. 

My apologies!  I gave you the thumbs down for that pick

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is bothersome is how Mustache Man can go 19-20? That is unreal, 1 incomplete pass all day.

I don’t like that either. It’s on historically bad levels. Clearly our zone defense today was ridiculously easy to figure out. 

Hopefully this was a fluke due to having basically no preseason or much of a camp. Time will tell who these Colts really are. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t like that either. It’s on historically bad levels. Clearly our zone defense today was ridiculously easy to figure out. 

Hopefully this was a fluke due to having basically no preseason or much of a camp. Time will tell who these Colts really are. 

I actually had us starting 1-1 through 2 games with my predictions but I had us winning today and losing next week. I am hoping for the reversal lmao 

Archived