Colts Trade For Drew Stanton

CashMoney

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Jets traded Stanton and Jax's 7th rd pick for 6th rd pick (originaly from Eagles), per source.

The Jets gave the Colts Stanton and a seventh-round draft pick for a sixth-round pick,

according to the New York Daily News

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827d27cf/article/colts-acquire-backup-qb-stanton-in-trade-with-jets?module=HP11_headline_stack

That makes a difference. So our cap hit for him is only $750k, which is perfect for a backup quarterback. And it sounds like we gave up our late 6th from the Eagles, in exchange for Stanton and the Jets 7th. It's probably a matter of about 20 spots. I can live with that.

Decent deal.

Better than the Jet's 7th round pick, it's the Jag's 7th round pick (#7 in the 7th round)

If we wanted Stanton so bad why didnt we sign him last week and save the draft pick?

It was more of a case of Stanton wanting out badly because Tebow came in. Stanton wanted to go to the Jets first, and now he doesnt want to stay there.

That makes a difference. So our cap hit for him is only $750k, which is perfect for a backup quarterback. And it sounds like we gave up our late 6th from the Eagles, in exchange for Stanton and the Jets 7th. It's probably a matter of about 20 spots. I can live with that.

Decent deal.

Yeah the Colts have made worse transactions.

We got good mileage out of our 6th round pick ...It amounted to the Colts getting a back up QB and OT, both with discounted salaries for trading our 6th rnd pick for an early 7th ... I like the moves we are making so far.

YES!!!! WHAT A GREAT TRADE! Stanton is a very good backup, and we probably got him for cheap since they wanted to dump him. Wouldn't want many other people backing up Luck. Great great trade! He has a good arm, good accuracy and good mobility. He should do well in this system.

I will sleep so much better at night knowing we now have the juggernaut known as Drew Stanton. Thank you, Andy.

We got good mileage out of our 6th round pick ...It amounted to the Colts getting a back up QB and OT, both with discounted salaries for trading our 6th rnd pick for an early 7th ... I like the moves we are making so far.

One pick is bringing us three players. Can't beat it.

It's a waste giving up a draft pick for a back up qb that the jets would have released anyway. and by the way Antoine Bethea for example was drafted in the 6th round so you never know what you could get. but thats just my two cents. and no i don't expect a pro bowler with that pick.

we better have NOT given up a draft pick for this guy.

First post here guys:

I'm pretty sure it's not the 7th pick in the 7th round. I believe we are getting the 7th rounder that was a part of the Tebow trade, which ORIGINALLY came from JAX. Not 100% but I think the Jags still own that 7th pick.

I like having two young qbs on the team. Stanton has started before so he has a little experience. Also, if we can keep him the fold after this year we may be able to develop another qb with Luck. If Green Bay and Philly can develope solid backups every other year and trade them or use them for some leverage why can't we? He may amount to Curtis Painter lite but he may develop into a solid player and net us a middle to early round draft pick if he improves. I am definately for developing another young qb....as much as I like Luck who knows if he gets injured or doesn't work out...be nice to have another young guy that could be the next Tom Brady.

So Colt' second pick in the 6th round of the draft for Justice, Stanton and Jets' 7th roun pick. Not bad at all.

I agree I think it has been an excelent work thus far. So little paid to add in two quality backups when that portion of the draft your lucky if the guy taken is more than camp fodder. Picking up the 2 backups while still holding 7 draft picks is great work. Really excited to see what they do in the draft. Hope to no longer see the type of picks like Hughes that just make you scratch your head and wonder what they are thinking.

I like having two young qbs on the team. Stanton has started before so he has a little experience. Also, if we can keep him the fold after this year we may be able to develop another qb with Luck. If Green Bay and Philly can develope solid backups every other year and trade them or use them for some leverage why can't we? He may amount to Curtis Painter lite but he may develop into a solid player and net us a middle to early round draft pick if he improves. I am definately for developing another young qb....as much as I like Luck who knows if he gets injured or doesn't work out...be nice to have another young guy that could be the next Tom Brady.

Yes, and I am sure the HC and the OC will make sure that QB2 gets enough reps with #1s for that development.

And I am also sure that QB1 won't put up any fuss about it.

I'm for that...but if our #1 wants all the reps to be the best he can be I'm all for that too. PM would never had been what he was if he didn't have that work ethic...to imply what I think you are implying I think is a shot below the belt. A #2 can become great too if they put the time into improving on their own and put the time into the weight room and film room. They can get extra coaching and do all they can to become a #1....only the lazy ones like Curtis Painter don't do the work. Look at Rodgers and several other back ups in the league that put the time in to improve and didn't get #1 reps. All we ever heard was Favre did nothing to groom him. It wasn't PM job to make make the #2 qb better....and I am very sure as much as PM loves to talk football and watch tape if CP wanted to spend time learning at the feet of a great qb he had every opportunity. I hope Luck gets all the reps he can handle...he is going to need it. I also hope Stanton works hard with the qb coach and with wideouts after practice and gets better as well. We benefit with both being dedicated to their craft but I'm not going to sacrifice Lucks improvement for Stantons one bit.

I'm for that...but if our #1 wants all the reps to be the best he can be I'm all for that too. PM would never had been what he was if he didn't have that work ethic...to imply what I think you are implying I think is a shot below the belt. A #2 can become great too if they put the time into improving on their own and put the time into the weight room and film room. They can get extra coaching and do all they can to become a #1....only the lazy ones like Curtis Painter don't do the work. Look at Rodgers and several other back ups in the league that put the time in to improve and didn't get #1 reps. All we ever heard was Favre did nothing to groom him. It wasn't PM job to make make the #2 qb better....and I am very sure as much as PM loves to talk football and watch tape if CP wanted to spend time learning at the feet of a great qb he had every opportunity. I hope Luck gets all the reps he can handle...he is going to need it. I also hope Stanton works hard with the qb coach and with wideouts after practice and gets better as well. We benefit with both being dedicated to their craft but I'm not going to sacrifice Lucks improvement for Stantons one bit.

If I were the HC, I would not give into my QB1's request to hog all the reps. I would have learned from the team's past mistakes. The team needs to develop the QB2, which is more than film study, weights and vicarious learning.

I do look at other QB2s. I see them get some reps with 1s.

An article I just wrote on this:

The Colts have acquired Jets backup quarterback Drew Stanton days after his public bitterness from the Tebow trade. The details are at the bottom of the article.

Well the Colts found their new backup QB, and there aren't many better guys out there. The Colts traded for Drew Stanton Friday, a few days after he felt "lied to" by GM Mike Tannenbaum. He asked for a trade or a release. He got the trade. The Colts didn't give up much to get him.

Drew Stanton has played in 12 games, starting 4, and looked quite good when playing. He seemed calm and poised in the pocket, and had the ability to scramble and even get a touchdown. He has a good arm, good mobility and good accuracy. Also, after spending time talking to him a couple of years ago, he seems like be a personable nice guy. Almost every player in the NFL would be mad if they were lied to like Stanton was.

Right after the trade, Stanton said:

"It's a big relief to have this over," Stanton said. "I'm excited about the opportunity in Indy. I can't wait to get there and get down to business."

He seems to have a good attitude and seems that Indy is a good place for him. Both him and his agent thanked the Jets even after what they did, and Drew is now with Indy, one week after being signed by the Jets. Things change quickly in the NFL.

Details:

Colts get: Drew Stanton & Jacksonville's 7th Round Pick

Jets get: Eagles 6th Round Pick

First post here guys:

I'm pretty sure it's not the 7th pick in the 7th round. I believe we are getting the 7th rounder that was a part of the Tebow trade, which ORIGINALLY came from JAX. Not 100% but I think the Jags still own that 7th pick.

Jacksonville picks 7th. What other pick did they have to give up in the 7th round?

I agree I think it has been an excelent work thus far. So little paid to add in two quality backups when that portion of the draft your lucky if the guy taken is more than camp fodder. Picking up the 2 backups while still holding 7 draft picks is great work. Really excited to see what they do in the draft. Hope to no longer see the type of picks like Hughes that just make you scratch your head and wonder what they are thinking.

Hughes made sense in that Mathis was going going to be a free agent soon, & they had 2 years to get him ready. The problem has been with his production or lack there of. I understood the pick when made. Hughes is suppose to be a good pass rusher we will find out with this new attaching style defense, if he is wroth anything or not. The draft I hated was when we drafted 3 centers in one draft. & 2 are gone 1 left & he sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were the HC, I would not give into my QB1's request to hog all the reps. I would have learned from the team's past mistakes. The team needs to develop the QB2, which is more than film study, weights and vicarious learning.

I do look at other QB2s. I see them get some reps with 1s.

Serious??? You would rather PM gave up reps and not been the QB that all that work and time he put in accomplished? What team do you see let their #2 get reps with the starters except if there is a possibility he will be starting that week? No one does that. Remember last year when late in the season the Jets gave Mark Brunell a few series with the #1s for one practice in the middle of the week the media storm it caused? Teams don't do that unless the have an injury/qb controversy. #2 QBs run the scout team in practice...that is how it has always been. If they want time with #1s they typically work out after practice. You never sacrifice your #1s time with the starters especially a developing qb. CP got plenty of reps but wasn't capable of running the offense PM did. The problem in INDY was PM is basically a qb genius. He called most of the plays at the line of scrimmage, ran a no huddle offense, and could read defenses and put the ball where few other qbs in the history of the game could making the offense much much more effecient and deadly. CP and really no other backup could run that offense and that isn't PM fault. Look around the NFL. No teams run the offense the way the Colts did. The only team that did something similar was the Saints and Payton would give Drew a package of plays to pick to run for every call. Even Tom Brady didn't have as much control of the offense as PM. Our problem is we had no one that could run that offense when PM went down...to say that is our fault seems silly since we had more success with it than any team in the 2000s. We will now run a more traditional offense one that more qbs will be capable of running and being successful. That said Luck will still get nearly all the reps with the starters.

Serious??? You would rather PM gave up reps and not been the QB that all that work and time he put in accomplished? What team do you see let their #2 get reps with the starters except if there is a possibility he will be starting that week? No one does that. Remember last year when late in the season the Jets gave Mark Brunell a few series with the #1s for one practice in the middle of the week the media storm it caused? Teams don't do that unless the have an injury/qb controversy. #2 QBs run the scout team in practice...that is how it has always been. If they want time with #1s they typically work out after practice. You never sacrifice your #1s time with the starters especially a developing qb. CP got plenty of reps but wasn't capable of running the offense PM did. The problem in INDY was PM is basically a qb genius. He called most of the plays at the line of scrimmage, ran a no huddle offense, and could read defenses and put the ball where few other qbs in the history of the game could making the offense much much more effecient and deadly. CP and really no other backup could run that offense and that isn't PM fault. Look around the NFL. No teams run the offense the way the Colts did. The only team that did something similar was the Saints and Payton would give Drew a package of plays to pick to run for every call. Even Tom Brady didn't have as much control of the offense as PM. Our problem is we had no one that could run that offense when PM went down...to say that is our fault seems silly since we had more success with it than any team in the 2000s. We will now run a more traditional offense one that more qbs will be capable of running and being successful. That said Luck will still get nearly all the reps with the starters.

Disregard the names involved. Forget it is Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.

I would rather QB1 give up some reps with 1s to QB2 so that QB2 has a chance to develop adequately to be useful in relief if QB1 ever goes down.

I do not recommend that QB1 take 100% of the reps with 1s.

Serious??? You would rather PM gave up reps and not been the QB that all that work and time he put in accomplished? What team do you see let their #2 get reps with the starters except if there is a possibility he will be starting that week?.

Actually, most teams give the backup a few reps in practice. We were the exception in that category.

And yes, I would have rather had the backup get SOME practice.