Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like Adam Vinatieri is done in Indy

Dogg63

I can see the team saying look, stay in shape and be ready in case our new kid gets hurt and we can bring you back for a game or two. Get that record as a Colt but realize it’s seen as a short term job. Now if the K sucks or gets injured and on IR, perhaps we look to see if last years kicker is still available on the PS up north.

sucks for Vinny for sure. It’s like running a marathon at world record pace only to break an ankle with a 1/4 mile to reach the end and not being able to finish. 

35 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I wonder if any team will sign him to a 1 game contract or something this year.. I'd really like for him to move from 599 and become the first K in NFL history to hit 600 career FGs.  Doubt it happens, but I haven't seen anything where he's 'formally retired.' 

From what I know, the Patriots released both of their kickers (the 5th round rookie and Nick Folk), I can see them signing Vinatieri for week 1 and having him kick his 600th FG before signing a replacement kicker for the rest of the season. New England is where he spent the first half of his career.

20 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I can see the team saying look, stay in shape and be ready in case our new kid gets hurt and we can bring you back for a game or two. Get that record as a Colt but realize it’s seen as a short term job. Now if the K sucks or gets injured and on IR, perhaps we look to see if last years kicker is still available on the PS up north.

sucks for Vinny for sure. It’s like running a marathon at world record pace only to break an ankle with a 1/4 mile to reach the end and not being able to finish. 

It'd definitely be really cool if he got his 600th FG... but, he's still (IMO) a first-ballot HOFer and join Morten Anderson, Jan Stenerud and George Blanda as a HOFer, something very rare for a kicker.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

From what I know, the Patriots released both of their kickers (the 5th round rookie and Nick Folk), I can see them signing Vinatieri for week 1 and having him kick his 600th FG before signing a replacement kicker for the rest of the season. New England is where he spent the first half of his career.

Yes, I wonder if he will go into the HOF as a Colt or a Pat.  He played a few more seasons in Indy, but 3 of his 4 SB rings are with NE.

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Because the Patriots are known for valuing a feel good story and sentimentality over winning? Seems very unlike the Patriots to me.

11 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Because the Patriots are known for valuing a feel good story and sentimentality over winning? Seems very unlike the Patriots to me.

I think it's more of a way to "stick it to the Colts" letting Vinatieri get no 600 as a Patriot while temporarily filling a need at K for a game.

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened. 

It would surprise me, if only because Vinateiri was so undependable last year.  The dude literally cost us a playoff berth with 2 big last second misses which were the difference between 7-9 and 9-7

Mad respect for a long and massively successful career, but I wouldn't expect Bill to make room for Vinatieri unless he was punting the season, which I don't think he is.

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:
I feel relief, respect, and proud to have cheered so hard for the GOAT since 2006! 

I will still stand by this but I don't think we win the SB without him in 2006. His 5 FG's at Baltimore won that game (Divisional Round), not sure any other kicker goes 5-5 out doors in the cold in a big playoff game. 1 of his FG's was beyond 50 yards and he clinched the game late with another FG. The year before the drunken kicker choked vs Pitt in the Divisional Round.

That is what made the 2006 team the teams best in franchise history because everyone stepped up in those playoffs to help Peyton finally. From Bob Sanders to the running game, and of course Adam. Thanks for the memories GOAT!

Adam’s a great guy. Got to meet him and get his autograph years ago during one of the training camps. He’ll be in the HOF soon with Peyton. 

I agree with 2006. He was our turning point and catalyst for making that elusive leap. Take ‘er easy Vinny, and enjoy the hunting season in the Hoosier forests. 

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ha not quite half. 10 NE season 14 Indy seasons.

I appreciate everything AV done for the Colts, he won a lot of games for us, and a definite HOF kicker.  The last 2 seasons , I think he became a me player instead of a team player.  Chasing records rarely ends well for a pro athlete, and in Adam's case I think it cost him a little loss of respect, not only from fans, but teammates, but the main fault lies with the Jim, Ballard, and coach for letting it happen.  Good luck AV enjoy retirement. 

5 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I appreciate everything AV done for the Colts, he won a lot of games for us, and a definite HOF kicker.  The last 2 seasons , I think he became a me player instead of a team player.  Chasing records rarely ends well for a pro athlete, and in Adam's case I think it cost him a little loss of respect, not only from fans, but teammates, but the main fault lies with the Jim, Ballard, and coach for letting it happen.  Good luck AV enjoy retirement. 

His teammates voted him captain last year.  You don’t do that if you’ve lost respect for a guy.  I think you wanted it to cost him respect with his teammates.  His teammates seemed to have his back including both his long snapper and holder taking blame for his bad misses.  

10 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

The coaches pick who plays. I'm fine with AV. If he was going to loose it, he picked a good year to do so.  Better him declining last year when weren't likely going anywhere anyway, than a year like this year. 

Bout a year late imo.

In hindsight, he should have been replaced early in the ‘19 season when potential substitutes were brought in.  
In defense of Ballard, there was no way to know he wouldn't “get it back.”  And there is something to be said of the “respect” factor Ballard has with his players.  The players that wanna play anyway (Ebron).

16 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Bout a year late imo.

In hindsight, he should have been replaced early in the ‘19 season when potential substitutes were brought in.  

BINGO... I think in hindsight Ballard will view this as one of the worst decisions as a GM. AV was done. Sad seeing him go out like that on film! He will never play in the NFL again.

Even had we cut Adam before last season started we weren't winning the SB anyway. We probably make the playoffs with a good kicker but KC was steam rolling everyone no matter what. Ravens and Titans both were better last season than us as well. Last season is old news, now we have a new kicker and a better roster with a real chance at a SB run. Rivers is an upgrade from JB and our defense should be better. I am just going to remember the great years Adam had here and our 2006 run with him. It doesn't do any good to dwell on last season.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:42 PM, GoColts8818 said:

His teammates voted him captain last year.  You don’t do that if you’ve lost respect for a guy.  I think you wanted it to cost him respect with his teammates.  His teammates seemed to have his back including both his long snapper and holder taking blame for his bad misses.  

He was voted team captain before the start of the season. 

On 9/10/2020 at 11:42 PM, GoColts8818 said:

LOL, why in the h!!l would I want him to loose respect from his teammates?  

Archived