Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saturday Signs With Packers [Merge]

From Link Above;

This offseason, Saturday wasn't in the team's plans for 2012 -- at least on the field. According to league sources, the Colts told Saturday they would be willing to give him a front-office job.

I wonder if this is a standing offer? I would hope so.

my saturday shirt is not good any more :(

It'll always be good. Jeff might be wearing a Green Bay jersey, but he's still a Colt!

Definitley a CLASS ACT if I have ever seen one. I too hope we fill this position with someone who is up to the challenge--not only in the game but off the field as well.

I'll miss #63, but would still wear his jersey (if I had one).

Hope Clay Matthews and A.J. Hawk can learn some class from Jeff...and I hope Aaron values what he has!

I hope Jeff goes back and retires a Colt. Sounds like most scouts think he's nearing the end which may be why Denver didn't opt for a short-term option. Packers might still draft center to develop.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

... If I had to guess, even w/Saturday, I think the Packers still draft a C high. And a scout told me earlier today Clark may be finished.

Agreed, Tamme would be a nice piece to keep and looks like cheap. It would take away a big hole, but I would love to get Fleener if he falls to the 2nd.

^^Agree.

Fleener would def be my choice in the draft should we get a shot at him (not #1, just to clarify so someone doesn't jump on this and call me an *. I'd just like to pick him up in the draft if at all possible.)

Couldn't be happier for him. That organization is ran by that city, and I don't believe any city loves their team more unanimously than Green Bay (no offense to any other city). Jeff, being a very player-oriented guy, will fit right in there. I had hoped he'd end up there if not here, and look forward to seeing him play one more year.

While most of the team played very poorly last season, Jeff had a much better year than he did the season before. Best of luck to him

He's definitely going to a Pro Bowl. That O-line is perfect for him. They're not huge and they play a very similar scheme to the Colts O-line. They both use zone blocking schemes and use lots of X vs X situations. They don't double team much and neither do the Colts.

An article I just wrote on Jeff and Tamme:

On Friday, Jeff Saturday and Jacob Tamme were both signed to two different teams. Saturday went to the Packers and Tamme went to the Broncos to play with Manning.

Jeff Saturday spent 13 years with the Colts as their starting center and went to 5 Pro Bowls. During his tenure in Indianapolis, he built a great bond with Peyton Manning, a bond that makes them almost inseperable. Now that Peyton is in Denver and Jeff is in Green Bay, it will be weird to see how both adapt to not having their QB or their center. Saturday was a key part of the O-line for the Colts for many years here and helped train and develop a lot of young lineman who ended up being very good. He is the leader of the O-line and there isn't anyone out there that could have done a better job than Jeff did for 13 years. Good luck!

Jacob Tamme spent 4 years with the Colts as their backup tight end for most of them. He finally got his chance to play in 2010 when Dallas Clark injured his wrist and was forced to miss the majority of the season. Tamme came in in Week 8 and was arguably the most productive TE in the 2nd half of that season catching 67 passes for 637 yards and 4 touchdowns. The Colts front office knew they had something good in Jacob Tamme. Tamme posses good speed, good hands and good route running ability when on the field, and when on special teams, he's the Colts best player. Now he's reuniting with Peyton Manning in Denver, and he and Manning should make a good combination going forward.

Both players had big impacts at one time or another with the Colts and it's sad to see them go. Both will be missed by Colts fans.

INFO:

Jeff Saturday to Green Bay Packers; Deal is 2 years long worth an undisclosed amount

Jacob Tamme to Denver Broncos; Deal is 3 years long worth 9M.

I would love to have seen Peyton and Jeff together one more season, but I am not sure the offense in Denver (run heavy) would be great for Jeff. Not what he is used to playing.

I know Denver will adjust a bit for Peyton, but they are still built differently and I am not sure Jeff was the right fit.

Packers is not a bad landing spot.

:sigh:

I would love to have seen Peyton and Jeff together one more season, but I am not sure the offense in Denver (run heavy) would be great for Jeff. Not what he is used to playing.

I know Denver will adjust a bit for Peyton, but they are still built differently and I am not sure Jeff was the right fit.

Could you imagine a Packers-Broncos Super Bowl?

I suspect that the problem in Denver is the fact that they have a center already who was a third round pick, has started every game the past two years, and is only 24. A couple of other pieces on the line were drafted as high or higher and are are just as young. He isn't ranked too highly from what I've heard, but he isn't close to his prime. I suspect that they would rather let their line develop as a unit rather than hurting it's long term prospects by inserting a guy who is very old for an olineman. Jeff has no place to go but down, and it could happen at any moment. The only advantage is his communication skills with Peyton. The fact that they didn't overpay to get him tells me that Peyton thinks that he can be fine without him. Peyton plans to play for several years. That line should only get better and better. Bringing Saturday in may help things this season, but where would they be in two years? Frankly I hope that they don't sign Clark either. As much as I'd love to see him succeed with Peyton, he's getting old, injury prone, and slipping. Peyton is better off with multiple younger options that he can help develop.

Jeff's best shot at another ring was realistically with Green Bay before he hangs it up.

This is assuming that the Pack play more defense next year. *sigh* If they can bring the D closer to their 2010 version I think they can win the SB again.