Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts consider DeAndre Baker after his release.../ DeAndre Baker Cleared (merge)

• Southside Hoosier Fan changed the title to Should the Colts consider DeAndre Baker after his release...
15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why not just wait for his legal trouble blow over (which they won't) and sign him then?

I’m sure 3/4 of the league teams will do their due diligence on understanding the issue. It’s the immoral 1/4 that’s left over who sees talent and production over anything else. Browns, pats, Raiders, Dallas, Baltimore and cincy to name a few. Coming from the league down, it provides clear direction to keep shady people out while allowing better humans to play the game and cast no shadow over the team/league. Just my opinion, matters very little. 

Absolutely no way. I'm usually willing to give someone a 2nd chance, but this was armed robbery.

I can at least somewhat understand someone committing armed robbery, because they were desperate and needed to feed their family. In no way do I condone it, but desperation can make people do things they otherwise wouldn't have.

A rich athlete committing armed robbery while they're already making millions is indicative of a much deeper issue to where committing the act was somehow a good idea to them and possibly even "fun".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All charges against him were dropped, and it seems like this was just an extortion plot from the beginning. He was a first round pick in 2019 and was off to a solid start to his career in NY before being cut when the news of his alleged armed robbery broke.

Should the Colts make a push to sign him?

28 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Bumpage after legal charges dropped.

Sure, charges were dropped and it appears he was being extorted. Nonetheless, he put himself in a situation where he was hanging out with some pretty bad people. While that's not illegal, it's also not smart, not mature, not wise, and not Colts material in my opinion. In addition...

This article states:

Baker...came out of Georgia with whispers of character concerns

and

last year, reports surfaced that his work ethic was somewhat lacking

and

several players said Baker's attitude and his constant unpreparedness had rubbed veterans in the locker room the wrong way

This article states:

Baker was a discipline and motivational problem last year as a rookie

And this article states:

pre-draft, the Giants’ personnel department wasn't sure if Baker had the kind of character the team wanted

and

he had to have his a– kicked every day to work hard at Georgia — to even go to practice

Based on the above, my guess is Baker wouldn't pass the interview with Brian Decker, wouldn't be a good fit in the locker room, and wouldn't last very long wearing The Shoe.

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Sure, charges were dropped and it appears he was being extorted. Nonetheless, he put himself in a situation where he was hanging out with some pretty bad people. While that's not illegal, it's also not smart, not mature, not wise, and not Colts material in my opinion. In addition...

This article states:

Baker...came out of Georgia with whispers of character concerns

and

last year, reports surfaced that his work ethic was somewhat lacking

and

several players said Baker's attitude and his constant unpreparedness had rubbed veterans in the locker room the wrong way

This article states:

And this article states:

pre-draft, the Giants’ personnel department wasn't sure if Baker had the kind of character the team wanted

and

he had to have his a– kicked every day to work hard at Georgia — to even go to practice

Based on the above, my guess is Baker wouldn't pass the interview with Brian Decker, wouldn't be a good fit in the locker room, and wouldn't last very long wearing The Shoe.

That’s a lot of baggage for an nfl team to take on. He was a first round pick right? Shocking that teams take such risks in the first on these kind of profiles. If I hear from coaches he was lazy and had to constantly be pushed to practice, that’s not a 1st round choice to me. All the talent in the world flags that as a me first player and that he is better than all the rest of his teammates. I’d probably be a hard pass based on the kids lack of self motivation. Even if he balls out hard, at first big contract time, I’d be worried to pay for that. 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:11 PM, twfish said:

I'll take him. The whole story was incredibly sketchy in the first place.

That part of the story is extremely odd, yet he did put himself in poor company it seems. The other half of the story is his reported work ethics. Poor in college, not certain about the nfl. You would think though, if he was doing everything right in the NFL that a team wouldn’t just cut a talented 1st rd pick as quick as they did. I’d say look carefully if you plan on bringing him in for a kick of the tires. 

On 11/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Dogg63 said:

On 11/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Dogg63 said:

If that is true there is no way he would last in an eberflus d.  There is a great article on the athletic on what he requires of his players.  All out in practice and in games on each play or you won’t stay on the team. 

• Nadine changed the title to Should the Colts consider DeAndre Baker after his release.../ DeAndre Baker Cleared (merge)

Archived