Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Start of Season Draft Needs

With the start of the 2020 season upon us, I thought it’d be a good idea to look at the current team needs as they stand. Especially since TC is over. I’ll probably update this quarterly.

Ranked in order of importance

1. DE- Turray out at least 6 games means that unless Banogu has a huge leap, we have nothing next to Houston, who can’t play forever either.

2. Outside CB- The CB depth on this team frightens me. Rock is a 2nd year player who we’re expecting to break out but is still an unknown. We’re hoping for a bounce back year from Rhodes who was absolutely terrible last year. But the corners after that aren’t people I want to see start games in case of an injury.

3. TE- Burton is a risk because of his injury history which we all knew when we got him, and Doyle is in the final year of his deal I think, but he’s never been a premier TE (which I think Reich needs in his offfense). It’s supposed to be a great TE Draft next year too so maybe it’s time since it’s the only position Ballard has never drafted as Colts GM.

Those are the only pressing needs I see right now. There are a couple of other sneaky needs that aren’t dire based on current situations but could get elevated based on how the season plays out.

So drop your thoughts below guys!!

DE is huge for me, this was kinda my final straw for Turray.

Next is LT, We have to draft Castonzos successor this year, it is much much harder to find a good LT in free agency then almost every other position.

TE is next, I really think our biggest offensive limiting factor this year will be TE with not a true one to vertically stretch the field has me nervous. 

1. QB

2. TE

3. DE

4. CB

5. LT

6. WR

The thing that jumps straight up at me is that all but one of those are among the positions that are most important for success and they are  positions we have either current or near future need for. This is less than ideal when it comes to team building and if there is something that can sink this Colts team it's percisely this. Our strongest positions are some of the least valuable positions(G, C, LB, RB).

Ballard still has a lot of work to do on this team, even though for the immediate future (this year) I actually like the prospects of this roster. 

Just my opinion, but it depends on a lot.

QB - if Rivers doesn't come back, QB is the obvious #1.

DE - if Houston isn't re-signed, DE is next. Turay and Banogu aren't close at this point to being a #1 three down DE

LT - unless we think AC might re-sign again, LT is next. We could wait one more year, but not sure I want a rook starting.

FS - i'm not banking on Blackmon as a FS, and if Hooker doesn't re-sign, FS is next

CB2 - if Rhodes doesn't work out, CB2 is next

TE - I know some will have this much higher, but with two 6-4 WRs and Doyle, just not sure we need to go early on a TE

WR, LB, and RB are all fine unless multiple WRs flame out. 

Personally I think Rivers is re-signed, and doubt we go QB next draft. I also think there's a strong possibility that Houston, Hooker, and Rhodes all come back. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if AC signals to the FO that he'll extend again for another year or two so long as Rivers does well and we're in the playoffs. If most of that happens, then I think DE moves up to #1 (even if ,Houston is re-signed), and TE moves up the list.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is a question that needs to be ask at the end of the season. 

Now if you think we are weak at a few positions that may be right but next years draft is next year and way too many variables between now and then to know the answers.

Thanks mom.

7 hours ago, stitches said:

1. QB

2. TE

3. DE

4. CB

5. LT

6. WR

The thing that jumps straight up at me is that all but one of those are among the positions that are most important for success and they are  positions we have either current or near future need for. This is less than ideal when it comes to team building and if there is something that can sink this Colts team it's percisely this. Our strongest positions are some of the least valuable positions(G, C, LB, RB).

Ballard still has a lot of work to do on this team, even though for the immediate future (this year) I actually like the prospects of this roster. 

As far as our strongest positions being least valuable, not sure I agree. The top paid OG (15M/year), is just a little off the 2nd highest T (which is AC) at 16.5M. Q is going to set the market, In other words, he's going to get more than most LTs. We're going to shell out a lot for Leonard, probably 17+. Thank god C and RB are devalued, but we're still paying Kelly 12.5 as the top paid guy. We're lucky Walker isn't great at pass D lol. He's one of the top ILBs in Ts per snap, and we're getting great value from the combo of him and Oke. 

I look at our FA contracts coming up in the next two years and it's pretty scary. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

As far as our strongest positions being least valuable, not sure I agree. The top paid OG (15M/year), is just a little off the 2nd highest T (which is AC) at 16.5M. Q is going to set the market, In other words, he's going to get more than most LTs.

That's just a happenstance of the current market. Next time the best OTs come to FA they will get paid more than the OGs or OCs. Overall the best OTs will be paid better than the best centers and guards and they are more valuable and good ones are a more scarce resource. 

We're going to shell out a lot for Leonard, probably 17+. Thank god C and RB are devalued, but we're still paying Kelly 12.5 as the top paid guy. We're lucky Walker isn't great at pass D lol. He's one of the top ILBs in Ts per snap, and we're getting great value from the combo of him and Oke. 

I look at our FA contracts coming up in the next two years and it's pretty scary. 

That's the thing I worry about. That we will end up paying up at positions that matter less for winning than the most important ones and that we are not set up or strong at any of the premier positions in football - QB, CB, WR, EDGE... Even OT in the long term is a question mark.

That's not to say that Ballard has not invested in those (2 second round picks + 3 late round picks for WRs, 2 second round picks + 3 late round picks for CBs, 2 2nds+ a 3d + late round pick for EDGE) but you still need to hit on those and we can't really say we've hit on any of them right now. 

I still think QB is by far our biggest  and most important need going forward. Until we know for sure we have our QB of the future we need to continue spending premier assets on that position. No other position comes even close to the value that QB provides and no other position has the ability to make you a consistent contender almost no matter what else is happening than a franchise QB. And right now we don't have a franchise QB. We can still be good with Rivers, but I can't help but feel like we are just treading water until we get our franchise QB of the future in the building. There is a small chance that Eason is it, but he has to show that at the very least to Reich and Ballard in practice(how Chiefs knew they can move on from Alex Smith). 

That's just a happenstance of the current market. Next time the best OTs come to FA they will get paid more than the OGs or OCs. Overall the best OTs will be paid better than the best centers and guards and they are more valuable and good ones are a more scarce resource. 

I disagree on LGs. The top guys are going to stay close to Ts. Q, when he re-signs, might end up being the top paid OL overall, and least until the next big contract is signed. Centers, yes I agree, but they're earning more and more too. We've been trending this way for a while as the league has become a passing league.

And I also disagree about the importance in general, comparing LG to LT. A guy like Q at LG can make a LT (or C) look a lot better than he really is. Along the same lines, a great LT can mask deficiencies of a LG and make him look better too.

That's the thing I worry about. That we will end up paying up at positions that matter less for winning than the most important ones and that we are not set up or strong at any of the premier positions in football - QB, CB, WR, EDGE... Even OT in the long term is a question mark.

I agree with this, and have echoed it when talking about FA contracts coming up, and when drafting. A roster salary has to have balance, especially when talking about talent at the top paid positions. I think at CB we are fine currently given Rock is looking great and is on a rookie contract. WR too, unless you're not confident in the young guys. Edge, OT, and QB are all positions that concern me medium term. Both are positions where it's important to have one or more on rook contracts. 

That's not to say that Ballard has not invested in those (2 second round picks + 3 late round picks for WRs, 2 second round picks + 3 late round picks for CBs, 2 2nds+ a 3d + late round pick for EDGE) but you still need to hit on those and we can't really say we've hit on any of them right now. 

We can't say we haven't hit either. This year will tell us a lot.

I still think QB is by far our biggest  and most important need going forward. Until we know for sure we have our QB of the future we need to continue spending premier assets on that position. No other position comes even close to the value that QB provides and no other position has the ability to make you a consistent contender almost no matter what else is happening than a franchise QB. And right now we don't have a franchise QB. We can still be good with Rivers, but I can't help but feel like we are just treading water until we get our franchise QB of the future in the building. There is a small chance that Eason is it, but he has to show that at the very least to Reich and Ballard in practice(how Chiefs knew they can move on from Alex Smith). 

The chances of Rivers looking good and will be back IMO is 90+%. If I wasn't that confident, I'd feel your concern. I just think even at his age, he'll be more than fine for 2-4 years with our OL, running game, and receiving weapons (I'm confident in the WRs too).

Post Rivers, I'm concerned. Eason is a wildcard and I have no basis for confidence at this point. And IMO, as long as were in the playoffs and Rivers is not looking noticeably weak-armed, I really doubt we go QB next year. Our record should be pretty good, and we won't be in position to get a top 2 guy without giving up substantial capital. 

All that said, I can absolutely see Ballard looking at a guy like Carr or another early 30s QB who would fit our scheme well, and is looking for a new home behind a good OL. 

I said I’d only update my needs ranking quarterly, but I’m very tempted to bump QB up the list. Doing my very best not to react after one games because some hiccups are expected with Covid affected offseason and no pre-season. But, man what I saw Sunday has me re-thinking some things.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I said I’d only update my needs ranking quarterly, but I’m very tempted to bump QB up the list. Doing my very best not to react after one games because some hiccups are expected with Covid affected offseason and no pre-season. But, man what I saw Sunday has me re-thinking some things.

The thing is... even if we think Rivers can give us another year, we have to realize that we are living on borrowed time with him. It should be plenty clear for everyone that Rivers is short term solution(if he's even a solution at all). The QB position is so important that the moment you don't have a long-term solution is the moment you should start searching for one and investing serious resources in order to get that player. And there is really nothing better for a young QB than to be behind a consummate pro and great vet and watch him work and watch how to conduct himself. I think this is the perfect time to get our QB of the future. 

This is why IMO, unless Eason is showing serious progress and potential and looks like the real deal in practice, drafting a QB we love and think can be our franchise QB of the future, is imperative.

BTW after watching that game, I'm ready to move CB to no. 2 on that list. There are just way too many question marks and straight up below par players on that unit. 

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW after watching that game, I'm ready to move CB to no. 2 on that list. There are just way too many question marks and straight up below par players on that unit

Yeah the scheme isn’t doing anyone any favors but the secondary as a whole us me confused. Your starters outside are two guys who are both better in man. I really don’t know if talent or scheme is the bigger issue to be honest. Guys are so wide open in the middle it’s hard to say what the issue is.

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It makes no difference what defensive schemes are used without opposing QB pressure and sacks none of them work. 

You're not getting any pressure if your CB's are sitting back in soft zone and Minshew is almost instantly getting the ball out of his hands (2nd fastest avg time-to-throw). Changing up the coverage to cause more disruptions at the LOS for the receivers, throwing off Minshew's timing, and forcing him to actually go through his progressions instead of being able to immediately hit his first read would give our DL more of an opportunity to get pressure.

If you don't have a sufficient pass rush, you're going to make it harder for your DB's. If you don't have sufficient coverage, you're going to make it harder on your DL. We can't lay the blame on the lack of pressure when the DL had an average of 2.34 seconds to get to Minshew before he got the ball out of his hands, especially considering the 5 fastest sacks in week 1 were 2.26s, 2.3s, 2.37s, 2.6s, and 2.72s.

Also consider average yards of separation at the time of a catch:
- Conley: 6.14
- Eifert: 5.13
- Cole: 4.93
- Shenault: 3.1
- Chark: 2.54

League Avg: 2.84

*All noted stats via NFL Next-Gen Stats

I would strongly consider signing FA safety Eric Reid.

Than we need to see about focusing on LT, TEs, and DEs for next season.  Worse case may have to see how the Cardinals are using Kelvin Beachum and offer a trade if we end up losing AC early mid-trade season.  Other potential upcoming FA's may look more into would be TB Bucs WR Chris Godwin, TE Gerald Everett, and DE Trent Murphy.  

I realized we just paid Kelly at center but oft-injured game-time availability has me wondering how our backup would do.  Am looking at Centers Daniel Kilgore (KC), Evan Brown (Browns) or Josh Andrews (Jets) as potential backup targets. 

As for the 2021 draft my early LT target to keep an eye on is Jackson Carman from Clemson in Round 1.  Again I am high on S Hamsah Nasirildeen (Florida St) who went back to school but should still be a first rounder.  TE Pat Freiermuth (Penn St) has me intrigued.  As for DEs had Edge Patrick Jones II (Pitttsburgh) on my wish list in Round 2.  Hilton's age on the end of his career had me looking at WR Nico Collins (Michigan) in Round 3.  Collins has solid hands and no history of drops.

I would say LT would be towards the top of the list.  Have to replace AC as it doesn't sound to me like he'll likely play here past 2021.  

QB will depend on what the staff thinks of the development of Easton.  It's hard for us on the outside to know anything about how good he might be since there was no pre-season.  

RB is another one to consider but we could look there in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  I don't believe in RB's in the first because there is just too little value.   

I think the offseason needs are similar to what I thought back in May, just after the 2020 draft.

DE, TE, CB, and WR are Indy's biggest needs in my view. (QB may get pushed back a year if they continue to see progress from Eason and Rivers plays well enough this season to bring him back for another year)

Got to find a longterm great DE to play alongside Buckner. Turay still has to stay healthy to be that player. I for one would love seeing a San Fran type DL from last year in Indy. 

Indy needs to also find their longterm mismatch TE. Doyle is a great #2 possession TE who is also great at blocking. I don't like him longterm as our TE #1 though.

WR wouldn't be a huge need if Hilton didn't show any decline and Campbell could stay healthy. Unfortunately that doesn't look to be the case. Hilton could rebound surely, but I fear Campbell may be injury prone since entering the NFL. I hope I'm wrong there.

Finally, CB is another big need going into next offseason. Ya-Sin still has work to do to become a top corner, and Moore is best suited for the slot. Got to find a long term CB on the outside opposite Rock. And you can never had too many quality CBs.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but it depends on a lot.

QB - if Rivers doesn't come back, QB is the obvious #1.

DE - if Houston isn't re-signed, DE is next. Turay and Banogu aren't close at this point to being a #1 three down DE

LT - unless we think AC might re-sign again, LT is next. We could wait one more year, but not sure I want a rook starting.

FS - i'm not banking on Blackmon as a FS, and if Hooker doesn't re-sign, FS is next

CB2 - if Rhodes doesn't work out, CB2 is next

TE - I know some will have this much higher, but with two 6-4 WRs and Doyle, just not sure we need to go early on a TE

WR, LB, and RB are all fine unless multiple WRs flame out. 

Personally I think Rivers is re-signed, and doubt we go QB next draft. I also think there's a strong possibility that Houston, Hooker, and Rhodes all come back. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if AC signals to the FO that he'll extend again for another year or two so long as Rivers does well and we're in the playoffs. If most of that happens, then I think DE moves up to #1 (even if ,Houston is re-signed), and TE moves up the list.

Thanks mom.

As far as our strongest positions being least valuable, not sure I agree. The top paid OG (15M/year), is just a little off the 2nd highest T (which is AC) at 16.5M. Q is going to set the market, In other words, he's going to get more than most LTs. We're going to shell out a lot for Leonard, probably 17+. Thank god C and RB are devalued, but we're still paying Kelly 12.5 as the top paid guy. We're lucky Walker isn't great at pass D lol. He's one of the top ILBs in Ts per snap, and we're getting great value from the combo of him and Oke. 

I think Blackmon played strictly FS in his final year at Utah and looked great doing it. His play on the field earned him All-American. It is a small sample, but his play in Week 2 was very encouraging and he made some huge plays from the FS spot. I think he is our future FS and will fit our defense better than Hooker so no need to draft another FS. I think our top 3 needs in order are 1. CB (Rhodes isn’t a long term answer and we need another boundary CB to compete with Tell and start alongside Rock) 2. DE (even if we resign Houston I am not optimistic about our other options in Turay who is injury prone, Banogu who hasn’t developed to this point and AQM who seems to be more of a run stuffer at this point... we need a true 3 down DE) and 3. LT (Castonzo won’t be around forever and we need someone to groom behind him). I think Eason will be given every chance to prove he can be our franchise QB and I have faith in him.

I think Rivers comes back if healthy.     QB is not on my radar unless there's someone we like when it's our turn to pick.   Not expecting that.

So....

1.     DE       Too many questionmarks today.    We should have many answers by the end of the season,  but for now,  DE is tops for me.

2.     CB       We need more premium talent here.    Think week #1 made that clear.   I'd add that I look forward to seeing what Tell can do next year.

3.     WR      The '21 class of WR's is supposed to be exceptional again.   I'd like a Day 2 bite at the Wide Receiver apple.   I think all teams need 3 WR's that can threaten and attack defenses.   I don't know how many years TYH has left?

4.     TE        We need another solid dependable move-the-chains type of TE.   I like who we have now,  but I've read that next year's class of TE's is supposed to be very good.

5.     OL       Another quality back-up, depth type of lineman.   Hopefully someone of Pinter quality.

6.    DB        Another safety please.    Can never have enough.

7.    RB        Who knows about Mack or some FA we might sign next off-season?    RB is a position you can often find talent late in the draft.

15 hours ago, BleedBlue92 said:

I think Blackmon played strictly FS in his final year at Utah and looked great doing it. His play on the field earned him All-American. It is a small sample, but his play in Week 2 was very encouraging and he made some huge plays from the FS spot. I think he is our future FS and will fit our defense better than Hooker so no need to draft another FS.

He did play FS, but the Utah D is VERY different than ours, and is almost purely man. It's aggressive as heck. Take a look at their game vs Oregon (it's on youtube) and you'll see what I mean. OMG the hit he put on one guy was bone shattering near the LOS. 

W2 was very encouraging, I'm just cautious. He's coming from a single high scheme that stunted DBs, but he struggled with "range" in coverage. Now that might not be an issue in our two high system, but at the same time, Utah had great CBs that could stick like glue (making it easier on Blackmon). My hope, was that Hooker would play well, and Blackmon would take over SS from Willis, which I think is our weak link at S as he struggles in coverage.

15 hours ago, BleedBlue92 said:

I think our top 3 needs in order are 1. CB (Rhodes isn’t a long term answer and we need another boundary CB to compete with Tell and start alongside Rock) 2. DE (even if we resign Houston I am not optimistic about our other options in Turay who is injury prone, Banogu who hasn’t developed to this point and AQM who seems to be more of a run stuffer at this point... we need a true 3 down DE) and 3. LT (Castonzo won’t be around forever and we need someone to groom behind him). I think Eason will be given every chance to prove he can be our franchise QB and I have faith in him.

I agree with most of this. I think over the next two years, with all the FA contracts coming up, it's going to be really interesting. And I'm really tired of 2nd and 3rd round DE projects. I'd rather take 2nd and 3rd round DB projects, and get an earlier DE. Given DE, CB, LT, and maybe QB are all high dollar positions, we'll need to make some hard choices.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:02 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think Rivers comes back if healthy.     QB is not on my radar unless there's someone we like when it's our turn to pick.   Not expecting that.

So....

1.     DE       Too many questionmarks today.    We should have many answers by the end of the season,  but for now,  DE is tops for me.

2.     CB       We need more premium talent here.    Think week #1 made that clear.   I'd add that I look forward to seeing what Tell can do next year.

3.     WR      The '21 class of WR's is supposed to be exceptional again.   I'd like a Day 2 bite at the Wide Receiver apple.   I think all teams need 3 WR's that can threaten and attack defenses.   I don't know how many years TYH has left?

4.     TE        We need another solid dependable move-the-chains type of TE.   I like who we have now,  but I've read that next year's class of TE's is supposed to be very good.

5.     OL       Another quality back-up, depth type of lineman.   Hopefully someone of Pinter quality.

6.    DB        Another safety please.    Can never have enough.

7.    RB        Who knows about Mack or some FA we might sign next off-season?    RB is a position you can often find talent late in the draft.

I like your thinking on this, with the exception of needing another WR. 
I’d change the order a bit, with my top needs being:

1. DE

2. LT

3. CB

4. TE

5. O-line depth
6. Secondary depth

7. RB

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

I like your thinking on this, with the exception of needing another WR. 
I’d change the order a bit, with my top needs being:

1. DE

2. LT

3. CB

4. TE

5. O-line depth
6. Secondary depth

7. RB

I understand the future need for a LT, and if there’s one there in the 2nd round, then I’d take him.

But short if that happening I have LT as the number one pick in the 2022 draft.  I have that player as the eventual replacement for AC.   I know it’s a year later and may not be possible.    We’ll see. 

OT is definitely a huge need for this team. The depth behind Castanzo and Smith is alarming.

TE may not be a need if Doyle and Burton return this season but that won't be the case in 2021. I expect Doyle to sign elsewhere and the Colts could bring back Burton. Alie-Cox will hopefully continue to play well in 2020 and earn himself the starting spot in 2021. I fully expect the Colts to draft or sign a free agent TE in 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here’s the quarter season update as promised

1. CB - The Colts somehow have the top ranked defense but I think this is the shakiest part of the D. Rhodes and company have mostly feasted on mediocre QBs. Ya-Sin makes plays but depth is a big issue still. 

2. DE- Buckner has helped with the pass rush as expected but it’s still just him and Houston. Autry has looked nice at DE too. But the ship has sailed for Lewis, Banogu, and probably Turray. They’ve yet to live up to their draft status.

3. Dynamic TE- Burton is back, so maybe he’ll show something, but as it stands, the Colts need a true seam buster at TE. The injuries at WR would be mitigated if we had a true top end TE. It’s hit or miss with Cox and Doyle. Let’s be real, the Colts haven’t had a GREAT TE since Clark. 

On 10/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, Defjamz26 said:

2. DE- Buckner has helped with the pass rush as expected but it’s still just him and Houston. Autry has looked nice at DE too. But the ship has sailed for Lewis, Banogu, and probably Turray. They’ve yet to live up to their draft status.

Yep, three 2nd Rd duds. 

Sign Allen Robinson for WR for 4 years, see if we can get Jason Peters of Eagles for back up tackle at the age of 39 or Cameron Fleming of Giants, sign Tyler Kroft for TE for 2 years and then focus on re-signing our own from there and go into the draft with all the capital we have.

Maybe wait till the dust settles on an underrated guy like Kerry Hyder of the 49ers for defensive end and get him.

Focus on re-signing TY at a #2 WR price (if not, let him go if you have signed Robinson), bring back Justin Houston, Xavier Rhodes and Marlon Mack on team friendly deals for 1 year, and extend Leonard. 

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sign Allen Robinson for WR for 4 years, see if we can get Jason Peters of Eagles for back up tackle at the age of 39 or Cameron Fleming of Giants, sign Tyler Kroft for TE for 2 years and then focus on re-signing our own from there and go into the draft with all the capital we have.

Maybe wait till the dust settles on an underrated guy like Kerry Hyder of the 49ers for defensive end and get him.

Focus on re-signing TY at a #2 WR price (if not, let him go if you have signed Robinson), bring back Justin Houston, Xavier Rhodes and Marlon Mack on team friendly deals for 1 year, and extend Leonard. 

I'd bring back Walker and Stewart too, I think they have played well this year.

Any edge position.  OT, DE, CB, TE, WR.   A backup RB to JT.

Even though we drafted two WRs the past two drafts, TY is on the radar for replacing, and Campbell should be thought of as having to earn his PT after his lack of production/availability.  Pittman deserves some slack.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, Defjamz26 said:

And the thing is, many of us know-nothing fans thought those three picks were some of Ballard's worse at the time they were made.  All appeared to be reaches at the time. 

On 10/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, DougDew said:

And the thing is, many of us know-nothing fans thought those three picks were some of Ballard's worse at the time they were made.  All appeared to be reaches at the time. 

Yup. All the same style too. Super Raw and needing tons of development. I didn’t like any of the picks, but the Banogu one I didn’t get at all. Like he checked all of the boxes for Ballard’s criteria but the guy isn’t even a good football player. He’s JAG.

Archived