Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach of the year

DownHillRunner

I just watched Good Morning Football and they had three guys who they think will be coach of the year finalists. Belichick: The guy who lost his right hand man who won him 6 Super Bowl titles, is working with a depleted defense, questions at wide receiver, and a new Quarterback. Zac Taylor: Who is working with a rookie Quarterback and a team not expecting to compete. Kliff Kingsbury who is coaching in the toughest division in the NFL. Where does Frank fall in this category? I can see Frank getting coach of the year love this when this team takes off this season. It's time for the league to recognize Frank as a top head coach in the NFL. 

37 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

I just watched Good Morning Football and they had three guys who they think will be coach of the year finalists. Belichick: The guy who lost his right hand man who won him 6 Super Bowl titles, is working with a depleted defense, questions at wide receiver, and a new Quarterback. Zac Taylor: Who is working with a rookie Quarterback and a team not expecting to compete. Kliff Kingsbury who is coaching in the toughest division in the NFL. Where does Frank fall in this category? I can see Frank getting coach of the year love this when this team takes off this season. It's time for the league to recognize Frank as a top head coach in the NFL. 

I think this season will be odd for this award.  Of course, you've got the headline for Belichek if he has a solid year that he can win w/o TB12 (granted outside of Buffalo, he's in a pretty weak division in AFC East).  If Belichek were to win, it'd tie him with Don Shula as the most coach of year awards with 4.  On the flip side of that, I see Arians being a solid contender if he wins with Brady (it'd be Arians 3rd award - tieing him w/ Belichek and Chuck Knox behind Shula - the story line being Arians takes an aging vet into a new offensive scheme and turns a 7-9 team into conference champion or something like that).  The others mentioned have their reasons, too.

What is going to make this season very interesting for this award, though, IMO, is that undoubtedly at some point, teams are going to have covid cases.  Will there be a team who loses multiple star players at different points of the year, but keeps winning? Headline being - 'despite covid 19, coach X kept his team competitive and won with multiple starters in key positions.'  

There's always great stories going into the season. I can see a ton of different coaches.

Teams that exceed expectations (not predicted to be in playoffs)

Denver

Arizona

Miami

Browns

Lions

Raiders

Teams that could be flat out good (expected to be in playoffs, or fringe, etc)

Colts

Bucs

Cowboys

Pats

Any of those coaches could make a case with a good season and/or improvement from last year.

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Don’t discount Chucky.  Raiders can be a sneaky good team.  

Both the Raiders and Denver could be sneaky good this year. AFC W should be very competitive. KC still on top by a lot though. And LAC could be ugly if the Raiders and Denver take nice steps. All in all, I think you see Denver's O look noticeably better with the upgrades there, and I think Carr balls out this year as well since he finally got some new toys.

Archived