Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Iron Man Philip Rivers


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sunday 9/13/20 at the Jaguars will be Rivers 225th consecutive start and 72 consecutive starts behind Brett Favre's all time record of 297 which could be broken in 2024 (including the playoffs it will

It is officially Phil-cember! 5-0 looks realistic. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hearing his answer and him say he intends to play I think he might be thinking more on the lines of will the colts want him back.

I think that is it. I know he wants to play but if Colts don't invite him back he may retire.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hearing his answer and him say he intends to play I think he might be thinking more on the lines of will the colts want him back.

When Philip signed here, both sides indicated that although it was only a 1 year deal, they mutually hoped it would be a longer partnership than that and the way he's played this season, I can't imagine Colts management not wanting him back unless Aaron Rodgers suddenly became available or something. 

 

Win, lose or draw on Sunday, I'd bet anything that Rivers is our starting quarterback next season, likely with Eason as the #2.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PRnum1 said:

I think that is it. I know he wants to play but if Colts don't invite him back he may retire.

Yeah pretty much.

 

Rivers was always pretty humble when it came to this stuff in SD/LA.  Never demanded anything and just let things play out at the end of his contracts.

 

I think it would be extremely dumb and risky for the Colts to move to a different QB for next season, unless Rodgers becomes available (he won't) or Eason suddenly looks like prime Peyton in practice.

 

Not only has Rivers shown he can still play, but the comments from the rest of the players indicate he has had a huge impact leadership-wise.  Heck, the defense even commented how he taught them new things and made them better in practice.  You can't easily replace that kind of thing.  That's why I think the Colts run him back one more time, even if they miss the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

When Philip signed here, both sides indicated that although it was only a 1 year deal, they mutually hoped it would be a longer partnership than that and the way he's played this season, I can't imagine Colts management not wanting him back unless Aaron Rodgers suddenly became available or something. 

 

Win, lose or draw on Sunday, I'd bet anything that Rivers is our starting quarterback next season, likely with Eason as the #2.

Lol I have the exact same perspective...even down to the Rodgers thing

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hearing his answer and him say he intends to play I think he might be thinking more on the lines of will the colts want him back.

Listening to him I get the feeling that he would have signed for two years instead of one if we wanted to go that way just like Brady and the Bucs.  I think the Colts were the ones that did not want to commit to two.  Ballard is shrewd.  Rivers will be 39 going on 40 next year.  Yes he had a good year but now Ballard has the flexibility to pursue another veteran QB that could become available and be more of a longer term solution.  Reich is saying all of the right things but I think we are going bring in  a new veteran starter next year.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Listening to him I get the feeling that he would have signed for two years instead of one if we wanted to go that way just like Brady and the Bucs.  I think the Colts were the ones that did not want to commit to two.  Ballard is shrewd.  Rivers will be 39 going on 40 next year.  Yes he had a good year but now Ballard has the flexibility to pursue another veteran QB that could become available and be more of a longer term solution.  Reich is saying all of the right things but I think we are going bring in  a new veteran starter next year.  

I hope not. I am tired of the QB carousel. If rivers wants to come back he should be brought back. I get that went is still young but geez that is such high risk in the hopes you can fix him. The only way I am ok with Wentz it Stafford is if Rivers retires on his own.  But I will say this if Eason was to back up Wentz you still have a young guy to take a look at if Wentz failed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Listening to him I get the feeling that he would have signed for two years instead of one if we wanted to go that way just like Brady and the Bucs.  I think the Colts were the ones that did not want to commit to two.  Ballard is shrewd.  Rivers will be 39 going on 40 next year.  Yes he had a good year but now Ballard has the flexibility to pursue another veteran QB that could become available and be more of a longer term solution.  Reich is saying all of the right things but I think we are going bring in  a new veteran starter next year.  

Which veteran QB would be a better fit here than Philip, all things considered? From his football intellect, long standing relationships with both the HC & OC, extensive experience in the offense we like to run, leadership ability, morality, ect? 

 

While I agree with your assessment that it is more likely than not that Philip wanted about a 2 year contract and Colts management did not, I think he's more than justified their faith in bringing him here and I truly believe that he's earned the opportunity to play here next season, and I think that management knows that too.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason Ballard  didn’t go for two years and only wanted one because it was a unknown with his age ect.  They needed that option to not have to bring him back if this team turned out to be horrible. Wouldn’t want stuck in a Jacoby situation . It also did afford them the opportunity to bring someone younger in also if the right one is there. But is Wentz really a better option. Is Stafford really a better option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only reason Ballard  didn’t go for two years and only wanted one because it was a unknown with his age ect.  They needed that option to not have to bring him back if this team turned out to be horrible. Wouldn’t want stuck in a Jacoby situation . It also did afford them the opportunity to bring someone younger in also if the right one is there. But is Wentz really a better option. Is Stafford really a better option. 

If you're talking about 3 to 5 years down the road, young guns like them or Sam Darnold would probably be but if you're just talking about next season, (and possibly grooming Jacob Eason) I'd say no, Rivers is the best option. Wentz, Stafford & Darnold have all been repeatedly hurt and missed games, Philip never does - even when he's hurt, he plays & plays well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If you're talking about 3 to 5 years down the road, young guns like them or Sam Darnold would probably be but if you're just talking about next season, (and possibly grooming Jacob Eason) I'd say no, Rivers is the best option. Wentz, Stafford & Darnold have all been repeatedly hurt and missed games, Philip never does - even when he's hurt, he plays & plays well.

This is why I say it should be Rivers then on to the future. I am ok with a Stafford or Wentz  if Rivers retires on his own. Darnold I would be ok with but still bring  back rivers. Then he competes with Eason for 22.  I don’t think Darnold is going anywhere. They will probably either draft a different position or trade down and build around him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Which veteran QB would be a better fit here than Philip, all things considered? From his football intellect, long standing relationships with both the HC & OC, extensive experience in the offense we like to run, leadership ability, morality, ect? 

 

While I agree with your assessment that it is more likely than not that Philip wanted about a 2 year contract and Colts management did not, I think he's more than justified their faith in bringing him here and I truly believe that he's earned the opportunity to play here next season, and I think that management knows that too.  

All things considered the choice IMO is Stafford.  Only 32 with plenty of SB potential years ahead of him.  I think the Lions will go into a rebuild mode as they bring in a new GM and coach.  He's been their QB for 12 years now so I think they could possibly even let him have some input on where he would prefer to play.  Having Reich as our coach along with our OL and the overall talent on our team I could see him seeing us as a nice fit and being out of conference would work for Detroit.  He brings all of the personal and leadership traits that Phillip has.  He's smart and tough and picking up our offense should not be a big deal.  Even his contract is not a problem.  And of course 7 years younger with a cannon for an arm and certainly he's more mobile than Phillip.  I could see Philip coming back if Stafford is not available but it just makes sense to go and get Stafford if he is.  There is no way I can see Ballard passing on Stafford, if he becomes available, and going with Rivers instead.   JMO. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is why I say it should be Rivers then on to the future. I am ok with a Stafford or Wentz  if Rivers retires on his own. Darnold I would be ok with but still bring  back rivers. Then he competes with Eason for 22.  I don’t think Darnold is going anywhere. They will probably either draft a different position or trade down and build around him.

Barring a serious injury, I doubt if Philip retires of his own choice until after next season, and then the only way I think he returns if this team is a serious championship contender that falls just short next year.

 

You're probably correct about Darnold, the Jets may hold on to him, but that'll probably be up to the next GM and Head Coach. They will be in a position to draft a quarterback in the top 5, or possibly even trade down and still get a good one and depending on what kind of offense they plan to run, he may not fit and they may decide to go in a different direction because 1 thing is certain: he'll probably never have a higher trade value than he does right now, short of him winning a few Superbowls.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Philip's last press conference for the Chargers again today.  Brought fresh tears to this girl's eyes.  We have watched every Colts' game we could this year and have loved seeing him playing with a real O Line and a stout D.  For me, the Colts were the best possible landing place for him as they've always been my #2 team.

 

I could not have imagined last year how this year would play out.  Praying y'all make the playoffs and have a magical run.  Having Justin Herbert as our next franchise QB, I can patiently wait for him to fully develop and ALSO enjoy watching my long term QB1 still play his heart out.

I'm really blessed that the Colts' family has welcomed him into their hearts.  (Is there anyone still left that believes he told the fans to F off when walking to the locker room all those years ago, lol!?)

 

PS  I realize I'm eventually going to have to replace my Rivers avatar with Herbert, but not until Philip retires :D

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

All things considered the choice IMO is Stafford.  Only 32 with plenty of SB potential years ahead of him.  I think the Lions will go into a rebuild mode as they bring in a new GM and coach.  He's been their QB for 12 years now so I think they could possibly even let him have some input on where he would prefer to play.  Having Reich as our coach along with our OL and the overall talent on our team I could see him seeing us as a nice fit and being out of conference would work for Detroit.  He brings all of the personal and leadership traits that Phillip has.  He's smart and tough and picking up our offense should not be a big deal.  Even his contract is not a problem.  And of course 7 years younger with a cannon for an arm and certainly he's more mobile than Phillip.  I could see Philip coming back if Stafford is not available but it just makes sense to go and get Stafford if he is.  There is no way I can see Ballard passing on Stafford, if he becomes available, and going with Rivers instead.   JMO. 

I think Ballard brings Philip back on another 1 year deal, even if it's with a pay cut although the way Rivers has played and the position we're currently in, it's not like he really deserves one. The QB I think he lets walk is Brissett, but if Chris can get his hands on another veteran QB like Stafford, he probably will for the future but that doesn't mean he has to dump Philip. 

 

It would be a huge mistake to get a younger guy, albeit one with a history of injuries and that's most of them, and get rid of the 2 veteran QBs we have right now. What if our shiny new QB got hurt and all we had to fall back on was Eason? Jacoby may return to once again back up Rivers, but I doubt he stays here to back up a young gun that gets brought in. He was originally acquired to back up Luck, and was a good soldier then and this year backing up Philip, but if asked to ride the pine for the greater good Stafford, Wentz or some other young gun, I think he seeks his opportunities elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I think Ballard brings Philip back on another 1 year deal, even if it's with a pay cut although the way Rivers has played and the position we're currently in, it's not like he really deserves one. The QB I think he lets walk is Brissett, but if Chris can get his hands on another veteran QB like Stafford, he probably will for the future but that doesn't mean he has to dump Philip. 

 

It would be a huge mistake to get a younger guy, albeit one with a history of injuries and that's most of them, and get rid of the 2 veteran QBs we have right now. What if our shiny new QB got hurt and all we had to fall back on was Eason? Jacoby may return to once again back up Rivers, but I doubt he stays here to back up a young gun that gets brought in. He was originally acquired to back up Luck, and was a good soldier then and this year backing up Philip, but if asked to ride the pine for the greater good Stafford, Wentz or some other young gun, I think he seeks his opportunities elsewhere.

We wouldn’t get Stafford and keep rivers.  Lol

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

When Philip signed here, both sides indicated that although it was only a 1 year deal, they mutually hoped it would be a longer partnership than that and the way he's played this season, I can't imagine Colts management not wanting him back unless Aaron Rodgers suddenly became available or something. 

 

Win, lose or draw on Sunday, I'd bet anything that Rivers is our starting quarterback next season, likely with Eason as the #2.

Couldn’t say it better.  Rivers was being humble and pretty much saying he wants to play next year if someone will have him.  I have a feeling the Colts will.  If they don’t someone else will.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Glennon, former NC State QB, has been named the starter for JAX in week 17.

 

Interesting note, Rivers is 3-0 all time against other NC State QBs - Russell Wilson x2, and Jacoby Brissett.

 

Pretty neat stat for a college program that has never really done anything.  They somehow get QBs in the NFL.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday 1/3/21 vs. the Jaguars will be Rivers 240th consecutive start (15 straight years x 16 games) and he will now be 57 consecutive starts behind Brett Favre's all time record of 297. (Including the playoffs it will be Rivers 251st consecutive start which is also 2nd all time, and 70 behind Favre's total record of 321).

 

Rivers is also tied with Marino for 5th place all time TD passes.

 

Need to win and then some help to make the playoffs at 11-5!!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read an article on BR saying he is highly coveted by the networks to be a color commemtor like Romo.  They think he would be perfect and could command a big contract.  Romo makes something like 18M annually.  Maybe he could still keep his HS coaching job.  I think the toe surgery puts him over the edge.  Got a feeling he's retiring.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, Girlzarefanstoo said:

I watched Philip's last press conference for the Chargers again today.  Brought fresh tears to this girl's eyes.  We have watched every Colts' game we could this year and have loved seeing him playing with a real O Line and a stout D.  For me, the Colts were the best possible landing place for him as they've always been my #2 team.

 

I could not have imagined last year how this year would play out.  Praying y'all make the playoffs and have a magical run.  Having Justin Herbert as our next franchise QB, I can patiently wait for him to fully develop and ALSO enjoy watching my long term QB1 still play his heart out.

I'm really blessed that the Colts' family has welcomed him into their hearts.  (Is there anyone still left that believes he told the fans to F off when walking to the locker room all those years ago, lol!?)

 

PS  I realize I'm eventually going to have to replace my Rivers avatar with Herbert, but not until Philip retires :D

You can Rivers back for Herbert. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 3:44 PM, Lancer1 said:

I think Ballard brings Philip back on another 1 year deal, even if it's with a pay cut although the way Rivers has played and the position we're currently in, it's not like he really deserves one. The QB I think he lets walk is Brissett, but if Chris can get his hands on another veteran QB like Stafford, he probably will for the future but that doesn't mean he has to dump Philip. 

 

It would be a huge mistake to get a younger guy, albeit one with a history of injuries and that's most of them, and get rid of the 2 veteran QBs we have right now. What if our shiny new QB got hurt and all we had to fall back on was Eason? Jacoby may return to once again back up Rivers, but I doubt he stays here to back up a young gun that gets brought in. He was originally acquired to back up Luck, and was a good soldier then and this year backing up Philip, but if asked to ride the pine for the greater good Stafford, Wentz or some other young gun, I think he seeks his opportunities elsewhere.

Rivers + Stafford = impossible.

 

Impossible on every imaginable level.   We couldn’t afford two HUGE qb contracts.  Plus pay out all the other deals that are in the pipeline.   Guys like Leonard and Smith and others. 
 

Plus,  Rivers isn’t coming back to be a high-priced backup, he’s coming back to play.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Just read an article on BR saying he is highly coveted by the networks to be a color commemtor like Romo.  They think he would be perfect and could command a big contract.  Romo makes something like 18M annually.  Maybe he could still keep his HS coaching job.  I think the toe surgery puts him over the edge.  Got a feeling he's retiring.  

I don't think the toe has any impact on what decision is made.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rivers + Stafford = impossible.

 

Impossible on every imaginable level.   We couldn’t afford two HUGE qb contracts.  Plus pay out all the other deals that are in the pipeline.   Guys like Leonard and Smith and others. 
 

Plus,  Rivers isn’t coming back to be a high-priced backup, he’s coming back to play.   

I wasn't suggesting that Rivers be retained as a backup - you're probably correct that both Philip's & Stafford's contracts make having them both cost prohibitive, but such a situation would bony exist for 1 year because I'm pretty sure that Rivers rides off into the sunset after next season no matter what. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I wasn't suggesting that Rivers be retained as a backup - you're probably correct that both Philip's & Stafford's contracts make having them both cost prohibitive, but such a situation would bony exist for 1 year because I'm pretty sure that Rivers rides off into the sunset after next season no matter what. 

Thanks...   appreciate the answer.  
 

But now I’m more confused.   If you weren’t thinking of Rivers as the backup, how would it work having both Stafford and Rivers on the roster at the same time?    I’m not following.... sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks...   appreciate the answer.  
 

But now I’m more confused.   If you weren’t thinking of Rivers as the backup, how would it work having both Stafford and Rivers on the roster at the same time?    I’m not following.... sorry.

Stafford would be the back up, why would you assume the better qb Rivers would be the backup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks...   appreciate the answer.  
 

But now I’m more confused.   If you weren’t thinking of Rivers as the backup, how would it work having both Stafford and Rivers on the roster at the same time?    I’m not following.... sorry.

I was thinking of Stafford backing up Rivers for a year, and then taking the reins when Philip retired. Matt probably wouldn't like that much, but it would be a better situation than Jacoby is currently in because he won't be the starter here again no matter how long Rivers plays and besides, Philip didn't like backing up Drew Brees for 2 seasons, but he's better having done it, especially his rookie year when the Chargers also had veteran Doug Flutie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CoachKjr said:

Stafford would be the back up, why would you assume the better qb Rivers would be the backup?

Seriously?  
 

We would have to trade to acquire Stanford.   A first round draft pick, maybe more, would be the cost.   I don’t think we’re trading a 1 to have Stafford sit on the bench.   And I don’t agree that Stafford is the inferior QB.   Not at this point in their careers.   Stafford is 5 years younger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I was thinking of Stafford backing up Rivers for a year, and then taking the reins when Philip retired. Matt probably wouldn't like that much, but it would be a better situation than Jacoby is currently in because he won't be the starter here again no matter how long Rivers plays and besides, Philip didn't like backing up Drew Brees for 2 seasons, but he's better having done it, especially his rookie year when the Chargers also had veteran Doug Flutie.

You think we’re trading a first round pick to acquire Matthew Stafford and have him sit on the bench for a year?!?    
 

What a player does at the beginning of a long career is totally different than what they do at the end of a career when they’re trying to play every possible game they can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think we’re trading a first round pick to acquire Matthew Stafford and have him sit on the bench for a year?!?    
 

What a player does at the beginning of a long career is totally different than what they do at the end of a career when they’re trying to play every possible game they can. 

I didn't suggest any compensation, I just speculated as to the pecking order if both quarterbacks were Colts, no matter how they got here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think next season it will be Phil as the starter and Eason the backup. Phil signs for probably 25 mill again but JB's contract will be off the books and Eason is cheap. Our Salary Cap will still be good. I don't see in any way that Ballard trades for Stafford, Dak, or Wentz like some have suggested. Not Ballard's style and I wouldn't either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think next season it will be Phil as the starter and Eason the backup. Phil signs for probably 25 mill again but JB's contract will be off the books and Eason is cheap. Our Salary Cap will still be good. I don't see in any way that Ballard trades for Stafford, Dak, or Wentz like some have suggested. Not Ballard's style and I wouldn't either.

Not only that, but the compensation he'd have to give to their current teams, coupled with the hefty contracts he'd be taking on for each would make acquiring any of these guys not worth it for the Colts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday 1/3/21 vs. the Jaguars will be Rivers 240th consecutive start (15 straight years x 16 games) and he will now be 57 consecutive starts behind Brett Favre's all time record of 297. (Including the playoffs it will be Rivers 251st consecutive start which is also 2nd all time, and 70 behind Favre's total record of 321).

 

Rivers is also tied with Marino for 5th place all time TD passes.

 

Need to win and then some help to make the playoffs at 11-5!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, CoachKjr said:

BOOM 

 

Rivers all alone in 5th place past Marino in TDs and Yards.

 

 

 

On 1/3/2021 at 4:40 PM, WalkerPercy said:

Who gets that ball?  Was TY’s 50th TD too.  

They could actually have it cut in half & painted, that way they both could have it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...