Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blankenship beats out Mclaughlin

CR91

@AWalkerColts posted a nice article about Blank making the team. It's on colts.com here:

https://www.colts.com/news/rodrigo-blankenship-undrafted-rookie-streak-nfl-2020

A snippet:

Blankenship certainly had some buzz heading into the 2020 NFL Draft, but he did not end up getting selected. He said he chose to sign with the Colts over several other suitors as an undrafted free agent because of the relationship he had already built with special teams coaches Bubba Ventrone and Franky Ross.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't care about potential. It's a kicker. Just give me the accurate one who can hit within 50 yards consistently

Yes I was.

Please watch Blankenship’s film. He has several kicks made from 50, he is also a great place kicker. He was first team in SEC as well last season. He’s made several kicks under huge amounts of pressure. An 87% kicker coming out of college. The coaches felt comfortable with this decision based off what they’ve seen. I personally don’t blame them. As a good directional punter is hard to find. Chase has been bounced around the league. I feel for him. 

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I keep hearing Specs has all this untapped potential that Chase just doesn't.... It's not like McLaughlin is some grizzled vet.... He was a rookie last yr.

no but he just wasn't one of the best college kickers in his time at school I get it either way I don't think we have a problem no matter who we picked 

I was happy we kept Blankenship. I've been rooting for him all camp. I wanted us to sign him after the draft, and we did. I'm glad he made the team. He's one of the best college kickers of all time. Great upside and a high ceiling. He's kicked in some pretty big games at Georgia. He's gonna be used to the spotlight in clutch situations.

7 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I was happy we kept Blankenship. I've been rooting for him all camp. I wanted us to sign him after the draft, and we did. I'm glad he made the team. He's one of the best college kickers of all time. Great upside and a high ceiling. He's kicked in some pretty big games at Georgia. He's gonna be used to the spotlight in clutch situations.

e54bc86d182d90285055e615791d6076.gif

Keep in mind, Chase was brought in during an emergency. The Colts were not able to do their typical due diligence on the type of person/player Chase is. They needed a warm body able to make kicks. That's what they scooped up towards the end of last season. In a pinch.

This off-season they were able to do their typical due diligence, getting Brian Decker involved, etc. They were able to size up Blank the way they want to. He fit their definition of a Colts guy (presumably more than Chase). They probably weighed that quite a lot during their tough decision between the two of them.

In addition, Colts.com just mentioned that Blank had zero misses during practice prior to the media being allowed to watch. So, he was solid at the start, had one bad scrimmage (missed 3), then had a solid scrimmage at the end (was able to re-center himself and kick solidly again after adversity). 

So I'm thinking Blank kicked marginally better than Chase and I bet he ticked off all of the Decker check boxes much better than Chase. Those are the two major factors, imho, that led them to pick Blank over Chase. 

On 9/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Hot Rod will become the first rookie to be the Colts starting kicker going into the season since the team moved to Indy.

it also extends the idfa streak to 22 years.

On 9/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, Dogg63 said:

To add to that...

This is the first season since 2005 where we have a new kicker going into the season opener (Vinny had been at it a while for us!).

On 9/5/2020 at 12:36 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

did you even see Blankenship kick in college? cause by the way you speak about him it doesn't seem like you did he's one of the best in recent years and was damn near perfect on extra points his entire college career 

He did not miss an XP in college.  That said, college XPs are still 17 yarders.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

This is the first season since 2005 where we have a new kicker going into the season opener (Vinny had been at it a while for us!).

That just brings back memories of Vanderjagt's miss, followed by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for slamming his helmit to the turf

That remains the most complete Colts team in Indy history 

:(

On 9/7/2020 at 3:35 AM, CurBeatElite said:

He did not miss an XP in college.  That said, college XPs are still 17 yarders.

still didn't miss any that alone is pretty damn impressive 

On 9/7/2020 at 4:59 AM, shakedownstreet said:

That just brings back memories of Vanderjagt's miss, followed by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for slamming his helmit to the turf

That remains the most complete Colts team in Indy history 

:(

For now....  

Also, I am happy we have Rodrigoberto as our kickers.

21 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Chase was picked up by the Vikings and was placed on their practice squad ... one millisecond later they cut him? :scratch:

Such is life as a marginal placekicker.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

With 5 missed extra points and 19 missed field goals in week 1, Chase won't be safe on the Vikings PS for long.

Vikings can protect him as they are allowed to protect 4 players on the practice squad after week 1. So, they will be most likely protecting him. They after all signed him as insurance for Dan Bailey during these Covid days. I wish we would have kept Chase on our practice squad, to be honest. Maybe we felt we could always bring back AV in the middle of the season if it doesn't go well?? Not sure what the thought process was, especially if we have 16 players on the practice squad for this year.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Titans may be calling the Vikings this morning with Gostkowski missing 4 kicks last night.   

I did not watch that game. After the Steelers D gave me a 106.9 - 89.9 lead with my opponent having Jerry Jeudy and A J Brown going in fantasy, I thought it was over. I wake up to find out I won 106.9 - 103.9 :) 

I wasn't going to be up watching that MNF game so late. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hope we don’t have kicker issues again. I would of tried to put chase on the PS just as insurance. You need your kicker to be consistent not have a big upside. 

I'm not sure myself, but I have heard a number of fans claiming Hot Rod's missed kick was tipped (partially blocked)

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Vikings can protect him as they are allowed to protect 4 players on the practice squad after week 1. So, they will be most likely protecting him.

Practice squad protection is only valid from Tuesday through game day. So from Monday until Tuesday’s designation deadline, no practice squad players are protected. We may see some early-week poaching from teams this year.

54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Vikings can protect him as they are allowed to protect 4 players on the practice squad after week 1. So, they will be most likely protecting him. They after all signed him as insurance for Dan Bailey during these Covid days. I wish we would have kept Chase on our practice squad, to be honest. Maybe we felt we could always bring back AV in the middle of the season if it doesn't go well?? Not sure what the thought process was, especially if we have 16 players on the practice squad for this year.

Maybe Chase wanted to leave...

2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Practice squad protection is only valid from Tuesday through game day. So from Monday until Tuesday’s designation deadline, no practice squad players are protected. We may see some early-week poaching from teams this year.

Good to know!!!

Browns got Cody Parkey protected for week 1:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/09/browns-protected-practice-squad-players-for-week-1-garrett-gilbert-greg-senat/

That allowed them to cut Austin Seibert after his missed kicks and promote Cody Parkey to the active roster. Then, Austin Seibert got picked up by the Bengals. :) 

Kickers, I expect to be protected on the practice squads more often than not, especially if the rostered option is raw or shaky. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Maybe Chase wanted to leave...

It did make me wonder. They could never say yay or nay with AV in the off season clearly. With such indecision, the PS compilation went against what Ballard preaches regarding competition. Does Blankenship have any competition whatsoever for his job with any kicker on our PS? There is none, right now. I anticipate that will change eventually.

8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

He was protected for week 2.

Never saw a lost of protected Colts last week and so far not on the list again.

https://nfltraderumors.co/list-of-practice-squad-players-protected-from-signing-with-other-teams/

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I'm not sure myself, but I have heard a number of fans claiming Hot Rod's missed kick was tipped (partially blocked)

Yeah thinking back I think it was slightly grazed. Could be thinking of different game though?

Archived