Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the third fewest sacks allowed since 2018

CR91

Since Frank Reich’s first season in 2018, the Colts have allowed the third fewest sacks in the NFL (50), and have the ninth-most rushing yards (120.3 per game).

Of course that has a lot to do with Nelson, but that's such a turnaround compared to the Luck years.

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Since Frank Reich’s first season in 2018, the Colts have allowed the third fewest sacks in the NFL (50), and have the ninth-most rushing yards (120.3 per game).

Of course that has a lot to do with Nelson, but that's such a turnaround compared to the Luck years.

I think it has to do with Ballard actually bringing in guys to fix the OL who were competent and not being terribly stubborn if a high profile player he brought in was being outperformed by a lesser known guy (this hasn't really happened to Ballard yet, but I'm referring to Samson Satele and AQ Shipley).  

Grigs in his first year in Indy already had a solid LT in AC.  He brought in Satele on an overpriced contract and Satele just didn't work out for the Colts.  He drafted a rookie T (Justin Anderson) in round6 and signed C/G Zane Taylor from Philly's practice squad and brought in 3 UDFA rookies.  

To his credit, he used a 3rd round and 4th round pick on Thornton and Holmes in year 2 and neither of them really panned out (due in part to injuries in one instance).  He resigned Reitz and  Linkenbach and also brought in 1 UDFA rookie for the OL.  He also traded Shipley to Baltimore, though it seemed pretty apparent in the 2012 season that the O was running smoother w/ Shipley instead of Satele at C.

In 2014, he drafted Mewhort who was pretty darn good but never reached his potential due to injuries.  He brought in 6 UDFA (Jonnathan Harrison the only notable one) and signed 2 guys from other leagues (one CFL, one Arena Football League) and let McGlynn and Linkenbach walk.

In 2015, he took Good in the 7th round (Denzelle Good the OT who played collegiately at Mars Hill).  He brought in 1 UDFA, retained Reitz and signed Ben Heenan from the CFL.

In 2016, he drafted Kelly with the first pick, Clark in round 3 and Haeg in round 5 and Blythe in round 7.  He signed 4-5 UDFA OL and a freeagent G, Lance Louis.  

So, Grigs tried to some extent to help the OL after drafting a franchise QB in Luck -- but other than Mewhort and Kelly, he failed.  He was stubborn with Satele (IMO) and should have moved on from him early after it was made known that he wasn't the C for the offense being ran in Indy.  Otherwise, aside from Kelly (1st round) he made no solid OL free agent signings and invested in only 4 other OL in the top 4 rounds of a draft in 5 years (Thornton and Holmes really didn't work out, Clark is still a backup and Mewhort had his career shortened mainly to a bad knee).  Maybe I'm wrong, but as a former OL himself, I don't think Grigs did nearly enough to address the OL which was clearly one of the most problematic positional groups on the team during his stay here, which is alarming considering he invested a #1 overall pick into a franchise QB and odd because Grigs always gave the spiel about how important it is to win in the trenches (for that matter, he didn't do much to help the DL, either).  

Ballard didn't do much in his first year (drafted Banner) and brought in a few UDFAs.  Keep in mind Luck wasn't our QB in Ballard's first year.

In year 2, Ballard made a commitment to fixing our OL.  He drafted a first team allpro in Big Q, then took a very solid player in B. Smith in round 2.  He also signed Glowinski, who was a better FA pickup than anyone Grigs got in 5 years.  And Luck, upon returning from injury (some of that, IMO, had to be from the abuse he took his first few years in the league), had the best OL of his entire professional career.

On a side note, I read in the last scrimmage notes that the DL was picking up more sacks on Brissett than they were Rivers.  The reporter who posted it said he couldn't tell if the back up DL were better than the backup OL or if it was because Brissett holds the ball for a significantly longer time than Rivers.  I expect, if healthy, Rivers will be one of the least sacked (if not THE least sacked) QBs in the league this year, which should be a dream come true for him after having such a bad line last year.

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think it has to do with Ballard actually bringing in guys to fix the OL who were competent and not being terribly stubborn if a high profile player he brought in was being outperformed by a lesser known guy (this hasn't really happened to Ballard yet, but I'm referring to Samson Satele and AQ Shipley).  

Grigs in his first year in Indy already had a solid LT in AC.  He brought in Satele on an overpriced contract and Satele just didn't work out for the Colts.  He drafted a rookie T (Justin Anderson) in round6 and signed C/G Zane Taylor from Philly's practice squad and brought in 3 UDFA rookies.  

To his credit, he used a 3rd round and 4th round pick on Thornton and Holmes in year 2 and neither of them really panned out (due in part to injuries in one instance).  He resigned Reitz and  Linkenbach and also brought in 1 UDFA rookie for the OL.  He also traded Shipley to Baltimore, though it seemed pretty apparent in the 2012 season that the O was running smoother w/ Shipley instead of Satele at C.

In 2014, he drafted Mewhort who was pretty darn good but never reached his potential due to injuries.  He brought in 6 UDFA (Jonnathan Harrison the only notable one) and signed 2 guys from other leagues (one CFL, one Arena Football League) and let McGlynn and Linkenbach walk.

In 2015, he took Good in the 7th round (Denzelle Good the OT who played collegiately at Mars Hill).  He brought in 1 UDFA, retained Reitz and signed Ben Heenan from the CFL.

In 2016, he drafted Kelly with the first pick, Clark in round 3 and Haeg in round 5 and Blythe in round 7.  He signed 4-5 UDFA OL and a freeagent G, Lance Louis.  

So, Grigs tried to some extent to help the OL after drafting a franchise QB in Luck -- but other than Mewhort and Kelly, he failed.  He was stubborn with Satele (IMO) and should have moved on from him early after it was made known that he wasn't the C for the offense being ran in Indy.  Otherwise, aside from Kelly (1st round) he made no solid OL free agent signings and invested in only 4 other OL in the top 4 rounds of a draft in 5 years (Thornton and Holmes really didn't work out, Clark is still a backup and Mewhort had his career shortened mainly to a bad knee).  Maybe I'm wrong, but as a former OL himself, I don't think Grigs did nearly enough to address the OL which was clearly one of the most problematic positional groups on the team during his stay here, which is alarming considering he invested a #1 overall pick into a franchise QB and odd because Grigs always gave the spiel about how important it is to win in the trenches (for that matter, he didn't do much to help the DL, either).  

Ballard didn't do much in his first year (drafted Banner) and brought in a few UDFAs.  Keep in mind Luck wasn't our QB in Ballard's first year.

In year 2, Ballard made a commitment to fixing our OL.  He drafted a first team allpro in Big Q, then took a very solid player in B. Smith in round 2.  He also signed Glowinski, who was a better FA pickup than anyone Grigs got in 5 years.  And Luck, upon returning from injury (some of that, IMO, had to be from the abuse he took his first few years in the league), had the best OL of his entire professional career.

On a side note, I read in the last scrimmage notes that the DL was picking up more sacks on Brissett than they were Rivers.  The reporter who posted it said he couldn't tell if the back up DL were better than the backup OL or if it was because Brissett holds the ball for a significantly longer time than Rivers.  I expect, if healthy, Rivers will be one of the least sacked (if not THE least sacked) QBs in the league this year, which should be a dream come true for him after having such a bad line last year.

Good post here! Completely agree!

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Good post here! Completely agree!

Thanks -- I just spent some time looking through the transactions of the Grigs' years.  He was worse than I even thought... through 3 drafts, all of Ballard's players are still in the NFL (not all with the Colts and Gerri Green and someone else were mainly practice squad players last year).  Other than his first draft (which included Tim Fugger and Justin Anderson who didn't last long at all in the NFL, nor did Harnisch or Brazzill, more due to off field stuff than onfield IMO), his drafts were overall pretty terrible.  Then looking at the FAs he brought in, I was shocked how many were coming from CFL, IFL, AFL, or from no league at all the prior year.  I know Grigs liked to say he scouted everywhere and let no stone go unturned, but seems like he wasted a lot of time turning the wrong stones over.

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Thanks -- I just spent some time looking through the transactions of the Grigs' years.  He was worse than I even thought... through 3 drafts, all of Ballard's players are still in the NFL (not all with the Colts and Gerri Green and someone else were mainly practice squad players last year).  Other than his first draft (which included Tim Fugger and Justin Anderson who didn't last long at all in the NFL, nor did Harnisch or Brazzill, more due to off field stuff than onfield IMO), his drafts were overall pretty terrible.  Then looking at the FAs he brought in, I was shocked how many were coming from CFL, IFL, AFL, or from no league at all the prior year.  I know Grigs liked to say he scouted everywhere and let no stone go unturned, but seems like he wasted a lot of time turning the wrong stones over.

Grigson was absolutely horrible when it came to the draft. I'm confident if you gave anyone on the forum his scouts and our picks during those 5 years, that we would of done much better. Luck was a given, so basically he drafted Hilton and Kelly. Half the forum wanted Kelly in 2016 because we needed a C so bad, so it was almost just Hilton that the forum wouldn't of gotten and a lot of other possible guys that would of helped the team.

He was also useless in FA, just signing older guys in their 30s like Gore and Andre Johnson that didn't do much while Ballard went younger with guys in their mid-20s. Grigson was probably the worst GM in the league during the 5 years he was with us, and maybe the worst GM in Colts history.

Ballard has done an amazing job in the draft. The 1st draft he deserves a mulligan because he was dealing with Grigson's scouts (and he still had an average 2017 draft). After that, he got his guys with the historic 2018 draft, a solid 2019 draft so far, and a draft in 2020 that looks good on paper. We're already seeing dividends from Ballard's draft classes and hopefully it continues with the 2020 draft in some shape or form this year.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I know it's more then just Nelson, but he brought that attitude that was instilled and it's made the line what they are now.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

In his second year, Grigs gave a huge contract to Cherilus to play RT...which I believe was the highest paid RT at the time.

That same offseason he also signed Donald Thomas to start at G...who PFF lived and who had looked like a good NFL G filling in for NE. 

Cherilus had injury issues and was gone  in two years and I think Thomas played two games before injuries took his career. 

In theory...by Luck’s 3rd season...he should have had very good bookend Ts, two solid Gs and some depth (Thomas, Thornton and Mewhort) and a second-year C (Holmes). But it obviously didn’t work out that way.

I think Grigs definitely tried...he just failed at it...due to a combination of poor evaluation and bad injury luck. 

And to be fair...Grigs never had a chance to draft a Nelson caliber OL player...so how can we hold that against him? He won immediately and was picking late. He could have drafted a Smith caliber player though.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He was awful in the draft...and it started to become apparent from 2013 on. So then Pagano manages to get more influence...and the drafts somehow got (arguably) even worse...aside from 2016. 

In 2014, the Colts really wanted Alex Mack. He was on a transition tag at the time...and was about as perfect of a FA as there is...given the need. And I think if Grigs had managed to give Alex Mack such a big contract that CLE couldn’t match...it would have greatly changed the course of recent Colts history. He would have been a game changer as a blocker...but more importantly...he would have been calling out protections. 

Oh well...woulda coulda shoulda. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Grigson was absolutely horrible when it came to the draft. I'm confident if you gave anyone on the forum his scouts and our picks during those 5 years, that we would of done much better. Luck was a given, so basically he drafted Hilton and Kelly. Half the forum wanted Kelly in 2016 because we needed a C so bad, so it was almost just Hilton that the forum wouldn't of gotten and a lot of other possible guys that would of helped the team.

He was also useless in FA, just signing older guys in their 30s like Gore and Andre Johnson that didn't do much while Ballard went younger with guys in their mid-20s. Grigson was probably the worst GM in the league during the 5 years he was with us, and maybe the worst GM in Colts history.

Ballard has done an amazing job in the draft. The 1st draft he deserves a mulligan because he was dealing with Grigson's scouts (and he still had an average 2017 draft). After that, he got his guys with the historic 2018 draft, a solid 2019 draft so far, and a draft in 2020 that looks good on paper. We're already seeing dividends from Ballard's draft classes and hopefully it continues with the 2020 draft in some shape or form this year.

It was well-established players didn't like Grigson.  McAfee is the only one who really came out and called him out on stuff, but Gore at one point was interviewed and said he'd never seen anything like what was going on in Indy (in terms of Grigs and Pagano feuding in private, Grigs choosing who plays over the coaches etc.).

This article is classic: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pat-mcafee-explains-why-ryan-grigson-once-wanted-to-fine-him-a-game-check-for-an-instagram-post/

Here you have Robert Mathis talking about Grigs ruining the culture of the Colts w/ Pat M.: 

Ballard really walked into a hard job and difficult situation.  For one, he had to be excited to be coming to a team w/ a QB like Luck (thinking he had a 10+ year franchise QB at the elite level, but with a good idea he'd miss year 1).  For two, it had to be weird and awkward being forced to keep scouts and coaches from the previous GM (especially when everyone knew Ballard had a different vision of what kinda D he wanted than the one Pagano wanted) - imagine how hard that must've been in the first draft of knowing what his future vision was (e.g., I want 4-3 guys but I have to deal with a coaching staff running a 3-4 for at least a year).  For three and four, the Josh McDaniels ordeal (I think we're better off w/ Reich anyway) and then the unexpected (by most) retirement of Luck.  Yet, he has still managed to build a team which is capable of winning and competing for the playoffs with an average (maybe below average) starting QB (Brissett was 1-13 with the team Ballard inherited, we were 3 FGs away from being a playoff team/AFC South Champ with Brissett last year).

19 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

In his second year, Grigs gave a huge contract to Cherilus to play RT...which I believe was the highest paid RT at the time.

That same offseason he also signed Donald Thomas to start at G...who PFF lived and who had looked like a good NFL G filling in for NE. 

Cherilus had injury issues and was gone  in two years and I think Thomas played two games before injuries took his career. 

In theory...by Luck’s 3rd season...he should have had very good bookend Ts, two solid Gs and some depth (Thomas, Thornton and Mewhort) and a second-year C (Holmes). But it obviously didn’t work out that way.

I think Grigs definitely tried...he just failed at it...due to a combination of poor evaluation and bad injury luck. 

And to be fair...Grigs never had a chance to draft a Nelson caliber OL player...so how can we hold that against him? He won immediately and was picking late. He could have drafted a Smith caliber player though.

Forgot about Cherilus and Thomas.. thanks for pointing that out.  

Yes, he did put some effort in, but he failed.  He overpaid for a lot of players (Landry, RJF, Cherilus, Satele, DHB, Andre Johnson.. to start the list).  He made one of the worst trades in history to give up a first rounder for T-Rich.  He was too stubborn to admit/own his mistakes (e.g., making Pagano play Satele, T-Rich, etc. when they clearly had better options for this offense on the team).  Putting all the hype into Adongo, drafting Werner with first round pick, etc. etc... he made a lot of very bad choices and obviously was not good at his job... so sure, he tried, he just was awful.  I give Ballard a lot of credit for taking over that dumpster fire and for turning us back into a respectable franchise again (and hopefully soon, back to our winning ways).

Tis why I'm not overly concerned with our weak link (Glow), nor to worried about Smith's struggles in pass pro at times. No OL is perfect, and all teams have weak links. I absolutely want Braden to improve vs the pass, and would welcome an upgrade to Glow at some point, but in the grand scheme of things, the starting OL is the last position group I'm worried about. It's certainly fair to point out those deficiencies, but at the same time, you can pick at a lot of other places who deserve a lot more criticism. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Tis why I'm not overly concerned with our weak link (Glow), nor to worried about Smith's struggles in pass pro at times. No OL is perfect, and all teams have weak links. I absolutely want Braden to improve vs the pass, and would welcome an upgrade to Glow at some point, but in the grand scheme of things, the starting OL is the last position group I'm worried about. It's certainly fair to point out those deficiencies, but at the same time, you can pick at a lot of other places who deserve a lot more criticism. 

Yep. I'm more concerned about secondary, WRs, TEs, O-Line Depth. Those needs are a lot important than trying to fill some non-existent weakness in a very strong starting O-Line. We'll have these 5 guys for two more years before having to worry about anything. Only spot I would probably worry about drafting next year is LT, but Costanzo is fine right now.

If you recognize that the Colts have the 3rd fewest sacks in the NFL, and you don't mention the play of the QB, you are emotionally biased. Considering the serious lack of quality WR play the Colts had last season(s), there is no way to accomplish 3rd fewest sacks without some pretty damned good QB play. 

Fire away....

23 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

If you recognize that the Colts have the 3rd fewest sacks in the NFL, and you don't mention the play of the QB, you are emotionally biased. Considering the serious lack of quality WR play the Colts had last season(s), there is no way to accomplish 3rd fewest sacks without some pretty damned good QB play. 

Fire away....

This is an easy target to hit... lol...

This stat is even more impressive for our OL given we had a QB with the second highest time to throw who struggled with reads and progressions, couldn't see open pass catcher, was incapable or unwilling of throwing deep or to the seam, and lacked touch, firing missiles at the last moment.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

This is an easy target to hit... lol...

This stat is even more impressive for our OL given we had a QB with the second highest time to throw who struggled with reads and progressions, couldn't see open pass catcher, was incapable or unwilling of throwing deep or to the seam, and lacked touch, firing missiles at the last moment.

Bullseye! :td:

46 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. I'm more concerned about secondary, WRs, TEs, O-Line Depth. Those needs are a lot important than trying to fill some non-existent weakness in a very strong starting O-Line. We'll have these 5 guys for two more years before having to worry about anything. Only spot I would probably worry about drafting next year is LT, but Costanzo is fine right now.

Personally I'm not worried about WR or TE since we have Rivers. He'll find open guys no matter who is on the field. And that could include RBs.

I'm with you on OL depth, but also admit this may be an over reaction given we simply don't know about our depth since we haven't seen them lol. I'm with you AC's replacement, but not concerned this year. I'm confident Ballard will figure it out.

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Fire away....

You serious, Clark?

Archived