Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut trackers!

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He hates JB, I have seen enough of his posts to know. He isn't getting cut so sorry about the haters luck.

Might be a totally different situation though if the guarantees weren't what they are. It simply doesn't make sense to cut him. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way.  That dude had me send him 10k to free him from a Nigerian Prison back in the early 2000's and his father, the King of The ofogono tribe, never repaide tenfold ...  I don't trust him any longe

https://www.nfl.com/news/player-cuts-tracker-nfl-teams-finalize-53-man-rosters-for-2020-season   Figured they’ll start rolling in soon

Hence why I said it would be a surprise cut...  I didn't say I think they will, I said that I think the surprise cut, if any, would be Jacoby.   That said, if the Colts FO is making choices

21 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You are right .... But damn I'll be glad when some other HC, GM, and team think that highly of their newly signed backup QB, Brissett.... He's a nice dude though....

And that may indeed happen.   I wouldn’t rule out anything at this point,  though next year seems far more likely than this year.

But I’d add this...  If Brissett doesn’t get a great offer next year from another team,  and he’s willing to return on a much friendlier contract next year, I wouldn’t rule out a return.   I don’t think it’s likely, but I think it’s possible.  We seem to hold the guy in the highest esteem. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Kelly should be the one cut and on PS.  Not a single team in the league wanted him last year, bad enough to give a roster spot anyway.... And someone would grab a fourth rd. Rookie QB and take a look for a few weeks at least.... 

Honestly, if Eason was the cut, and they lost him.... Reich and Ballard would look at least a little foolish.... 4th round picks are no guarantee, but it would be an uncharacteristic waste.... And potentially leave them with 0 signed QBs heading into the offseason.... Really don't see the team that got burned a few times by their QB as doing that...

Yeah for some reason I don't think of PS as being cut but it is, IMO Kelly will be there, and we keep 3 active QB's on the roster, JMO.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Kelly should be the one cut and on PS.  Not a single team in the league wanted him last year, bad enough to give a roster spot anyway.... And someone would grab a fourth rd. Rookie QB and take a look for a few weeks at least.... 

Honestly, if Eason was the cut, and they lost him.... Reich and Ballard would look at least a little foolish.... 4th round picks are no guarantee, but it would be an uncharacteristic waste.... And potentially leave them with 0 signed QBs heading into the offseason.... Really don't see the team that got burned a few times by their QB as doing that...

I am in agreement with you and that’s what I expect to happen but I could be wrong.  I know rivers and Jacoby make it.  I am about 95% sure Eason makes it but won’t completely rule out Kelly as he was getting the third string reps a week ago but I would be very surprised If he made it over Eason.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

You are right .... But damn I'll be glad when some other HC, GM, and team think that highly of their newly signed backup QB, Brissett.... He's a nice dude though....

Yes and no.  He’s a very good backup QB.  The guy who can come in and play well for three or four games but if asked to do more than that you are in trouble.  The problem is people are still judging him as a starter.  He’s not that.  He’s a high end backup that does have basically two seasons of starting experience which does mean something, especially when you have a third QB who has never seen real game experience which the Colts will probably have with Kelly or Eason.  That makes Jacoby a perfect guy to mentor him and help do the scout QB drills for the defense so Rivers can focus on being the starter and not mentoring (although I am sure he will do some).  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Might be a totally different situation though if the guarantees weren't what they are. It simply doesn't make sense to cut him. 

$8-9M in cap space is not nothing. But yeah...they are already eating $12.5M in cap space either way...so they will just keep him as the backup. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And that may indeed happen.   I wouldn’t rule out anything at this point,  though next year seems far more likely than this year.

But I’d add this...  If Brissett doesn’t get a great offer next year from another team,  and he’s willing to return on a much friendlier contract next year, I wouldn’t rule out a return.   I don’t think it’s likely, but I think it’s possible.  We seem to hold the guy in the highest esteem. 

Brissett is still listed as a team captain. 

IMO he will play his contract out. What happens after that I don't know.  I don't assume anything. Lots of things can change on one play in this league. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

$8-9M in cap space is not nothing. But yeah...they are already eating $12.5M in cap space either way...so they will just keep -him as the backup. 

8-9M is starter salary at many positions. Add in the guaranteed portion (20+ total), and that's pro bowl starter salary.

It is what it is, so I'll just be happy we have a good backup, but in no world does any team want to spend that much on a backup plus another 25 for a starter. And I wouldn't call it nothing either. We have a lot of big contracts coming up the next few years, an 9ish M in carryover would have been useful. 

Saw an IndyStar article (I think it was) and one other (can't remember where) that talked about potential trades targets prior to cut down day.

Names mentioned were:

Adams

Odum/Wilson

Either K

Hunt/Patterson/Eldrenkamp/Green

I think it was the Star that also mentioned Wilkins and Brissett, but said both are highly unlikely.

The only two I'd hate to part with are Odum and Wilkins. Odum is the only proven FS depth right now, and Wilkins might be in our plans for next year should Mack not come back. I'd be fine with trading Wilkins if we got 5ish round pick though. 

30 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

My surprise cut is Jordan Wilkins.

JB will probably remain on the roster if anything because of how much Ballard values the lockerroom and where their heads are at. JB is a lockerroom presence. 

I really don't think it has anything to do with locker room presence. I think we're simply all-in on this year, he's a good backup, and his contract makes moving him almost impossible without throwing money away.

Last year I think folks were saying Geathers was a locker room presence when he was named captain. We moved on from him without much said, Heck, 3 of 5 captains are either gone or lost their starting gig. TY and Leonard are the two exceptions.

Wonder who the 2020 Cs will be.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really don't think it has anything to do with locker room presence. I think we're simply all-in on this year, he's a good backup, and his contract makes moving him almost impossible without throwing money away.

Last year I think folks were saying Geathers was a locker room presence when he was named captain. We moved on from him without much said, Heck, 3 of 5 captains are either gone or lost their starting gig. TY and Leonard are the two exceptions.

Wonder who the 2020 Cs will be.

Yeah the only reason to move on is if you value Kelly that much. Eason is pretty much a lock to make the team. Havent heard anything but good about the guy. Kelly will be on the PS

45 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

JB will probably remain on the roster if anything because of how much Ballard values the lockerroom and where their heads are at. JB is a lockerroom presence. 

I have a surprise cut (not sure if it has been mentioned), Sheldon Day. He hasn't been healthy, he's on a cheap 1 year contract, and Rob Windsor has looked very good thus far where he's good enough to contribute on the 55 and too good where he would be claimed on the practice squad.

• Like 3
Just now, NannyMcafee said:

Yeah the only reason to move on is if you value Kelly that much. Eason is pretty much a lock to make the team. Havent heard anything but good about the guy. Kelly will be on the PS

To be honest, I think we have the perfect QB situation (other than the high pay for a back up) for the new Covid world. We'll keep 3+1, and folks will leave Kelly alone on the PS most likely. Heck, if they really are that impressed with Eason, they might not even offer CK a PS spot (I think they will though). IMO, we easily have a top 5 QB room considering starter and depth.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have a surprise cut (not sure if it has been mentioned), Sheldon Day. He hasn't been healthy, he's on a cheap 1 year contract, and Rob Windsor has looked very good thus far where he's good enough to contribute on the 55 and too good where he would be claimed on the practice squad.

Gonna bet Day ends up on the IR but wouldn't be shocked if he were released depending on the injury.

And while I love the good reports on Windsor, taking them with a grain of salt. Like the kid's motor, but watch some of his games against good comp. I watched the OSU game, and was not impressed. Watched another (I think it was Maryland) and nothing special there either.  IIRC, most of the reports about him in camp were him going up against lesser OL.

Regardless, Day was a very solid pick up for depth at that cheap price. Hope he heals and sticks. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

8-9M is starter salary at many positions. Add in the guaranteed portion (20+ total), and that's pro bowl starter salary.

It is what it is, so I'll just be happy we have a good backup, but in no world does any team want to spend that much on a backup plus another 25 for a starter. And I wouldn't call it nothing either. We have a lot of big contracts coming up the next few years, an 9ish M in carryover would have been useful. 

Yep...would love to have that $21M back...that's more than 10% of the cap...or a huge amount to rollover. 

That JB contract was definitely not their best work...big backloaded cap hit but with future guarantees that created a big dead cap hit...basically ensuring they couldn't get out of it (or trade him) without taking a huge hit.

Interesting that they committed $20M gtd to JB (with $12.5M of it gtd the following season)...but months later...they pass on the risk of picking up Malik Hooker's $7M option (gtd for injury only). 

But as I have said...I don't think their main intention was to have JB play out that deal as constructed. I think they really thought they would be extending him again with a big shiny new deal...after a successful season where he proved he could be the guy. Obviously...that didn't work...so they got stuck with a backup QB and a huge cap hit...and had to compound that by spending another $25M on a vet FA.

But I don't want to derail the thread into that debate...lol. It just is what it is at this point...and he will be the backup this year...which isn't a bad thing in a vacuum.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am in agreement with you and that’s what I expect to happen but I could be wrong.  I know rivers and Jacoby make it.  I am about 95% sure Eason makes it but won’t completely rule out Kelly as he was getting the third string reps a week ago but I would be very surprised If he made it over Eason.

All this means, is Eason is in the same spot Kelly was last year essentially, except they won't likely be able to stash him on the PS.  

In the unlikely event we have Rivers and Brissett unavailable going into a week, they'll call up Kelly if a QB is down, and he'll be getting any emergency or garbage playing time.

Kelly will basically be the third QB, that's why he's gotten more reps than Eason.... But they probably can't risk cutting Eason, so he stays on the 53, Kelly to PS hopefully, even though Kelly is QB 3, and Eason is QB 4.....

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

To be honest, I think we have the perfect QB situation (other than the high pay for a back up) for the new Covid world. We'll keep 3+1, and folks will leave Kelly alone on the PS most likely. Heck, if they really are that impressed with Eason, they might not even offer CK a PS spot (I think they will though). IMO, we easily have a top 5 QB room considering starter and depth.

Can't you have a protected PS player?

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Comes down to whether we think Eason is ready to slide into the QB2 role.

I will say this though, Brissett will land on his feet, either here or elsewhere.  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Can't you have a protected PS player?

They are not really protected. You can protect 4 players from Tuesday afternoon, through the game. After the game and until Tuesday afternoon, they can be poached like any other PS player.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

This is my surprise cut too. I really like Wilkins though, so I hope not. RB is becoming a bit of a crowded position with the addition of Taylor, but I think Wilkins would be good to keep around if we can.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This one also makes sense. I was hopeful for Day, especially with his familiarity playing next to Buckner, but his injuries aren't helping. I would say that Day and Windsor are two different DT's, so I'm not sure that Windsor gets a roster spot at Day's expense.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you follow the Colts much?

If you did, you’d know what Chris Ballard thinks of JB.   If you did, you’d know what Frank Reich thinks if him.   If you did, you’d know what the team thinks of JB.  But you seem completely unaware.   

Look, you’re entitled to any opinion you want.  But you seem to be trying to stop a tidal wave with a screen door.   Good luck with that! 

I have followed the Colts since Johnny Unitas was the QB.

I just don't understand how Brissett warrants a place on the 53 after last year's play.

He is overpaid for under performance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse
WR Artavias Scott

Yup, not shocked. Had a decent camp, but just too much comp. 

The hard part is going to be deciding between Patmon, Dulin, and Fountain IMO for the last two. I really like all 3.

23 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I have followed the Colts since Johnny Unitas was the QB.

I just don't understand how Brissett warrants a place on the 53 after last year's play.

He is overpaid for under performance.

So you didn’t notice that the Colts were 5-2 when JB was healthy and his performance only went down when he was hurt and when the team around him got hurt....

As for his salary...   again, it doesn’t matter.   Because we can afford him.   Even with JB’s contract the Colts still have the 7th most money available to spend.   We have the money.   His contract isn’t an issue for the team.

Your concerns are misplaced at best....

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The hard part is going to be deciding between Patmon, Dulin, and Fountain IMO for the last two. I really like all 3.

I can see Founain and Patmon...Dulin is great on special teams but I think Glasgow will take that spot. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you didn’t notice that the Colts were 5-2 when JB was healthy and his performance only went down when he was hurt and when the team around him got hurt....

As for his salary...   again, it doesn’t matter.   Because we can afford him.   Even with JB’s contract the Colts still have the 7th most money available to spend.   We have the money.   His contract isn’t an issue for the team.

Your concerns are misplaced at best....

5-2 means nothing as far as individual performance goes. 4 of 7 sub 50 QBRs, 3 of those 4 were sub 40. It's just not a good argument.

As far as salary is concerned. It's a fair concern. It's opportunity cost this year (other players), and next (carry over needed for big contracts coming up).

It is what it is, but the concern is fair. It's not nothing, as they say.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Could be for the last one if they only keep five.  Hilton, pitman, pascel, and Campbell are locks IMO.  The Colts have sometimes only kept five if someone else is doing returns, which Hines probably will be.  

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

I can see Founain and Patmon...Dulin is great on special teams but I think Glasgow will take that spot. 

It won't be a Dulin vs Glasgow conversation. Pretty sure we'll keep 6, and only 6. 

Glasgow is likely competing with Adams and Franklin.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Could be for the last one if they only keep five.  Hilton, pitman, pascel, and Campbell are locks IMO.  The Colts have sometimes only kept five if someone else is doing returns, which Hines probably will be.  

I'd bet they keep 6 this year, at least to start the year. Pittman needs time, Campbell's history, TY's history, etc.. 

• Like 1
Just now, EastStreet said:

I'd bet they keep 6 this year, at least to start the year. Pittman needs time, Campbell's history, TY's history, etc.. 

wouldn’t shock me if they keep six.  Just wouldn’t rule out five.  Probably depends on other roster spots.  Like the the third QB body is going to have come from somewhere.  What do they do at TE, DT, and S due to injury etc.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

wouldn’t shock me if they keep six.  Just wouldn’t rule out five.  Probably depends on other roster spots.  Like the the third QB body is going to have come from somewhere.  What do they do at TE, DT, and S due to injury etc.  

the decision at TE will be a big factor

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

5-2 means nothing as far as individual performance goes. 4 of 7 sub 50 QBRs, 3 of those 4 were sub 40. It's just not a good argument.

As far as salary is concerned. It's a fair concern. It's opportunity cost this year (other players), and next (carry over needed for big contracts coming up).

It is what it is, but the concern is fair. It's not nothing, as they say.

We disagree...   JB was playing well enough to win.   We weren’t winning in spite of him.   We were winning, in part, because of him.   And the point remains that his play dramatically fell off after his injury.   His detractors do nit like to acknowledge that.

As for the money,  there is no dead cap beyond this year.   His contract has zero implication for any future year.   Find me a website that shows the contract impacts our future —. Spotrac?  OverTheCap?   I’m not aware of any implication that his contract hurts us going forward. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Personally, I'd keep one less OL (compared to last year). Not sure we need to keep 4 RBs now, or more than 3 TEs either. We'll likely keep 6 LBs for STs purposes, but we really only need 5. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

We disagree...   JB was playing well enough to win.   We weren’t winning in spite of him.   We were winning, in part, because of him.   And the point remains that his play dramatically fell off after his injury.   His detractors do nit like to acknowledge that.

As for the money,  there is no dead cap beyond this year.   His contract has zero implication for any future year.   Find me a website that shows the contract impacts our future —. Spotrac?  OverTheCap?   I’m not aware of any implication that his contract hurts us going forward. 

A sub 40 QBR is bad. It means other areas of the team are compensating. And that's in the first 7 games, not post injury.

I'm talking about the loss of $ due to contractual guarantees and overpaying him. Paying your backup 25+M is simply not something teams want to do.  

• Like 2
Just now, EastStreet said:

Personally, I'd keep one less OL (compared to last year). Not sure we need to keep 4 RBs now, or more than 3 TEs either. We'll likely keep 6 LBs for STs purposes, but we really only need 5. 

Well TE probably depends on how bad burton is hurt.

you could maybe cut a RB but Mack has had some injury concerns and Hines is pretty much an exclusive third down back.  Taylor is a rookie who does have a little bit of fumbling problem In college so you don’t know know how hes going to hold up in the NFL.  So maybe keeping four makes sense there. 

oline they probably keep at least 8, one backup T, G, and C.  That’s where the loss of Haeg hurts they don’t really have that Swiss army Knife guy anymore that can play a lot of positions Also Smith has been a little banged up so again how healthy he is there might factor into that 

S depends on how truly ready Blackmon is.  Remember just because he’s cleared he’s missed almost all of camp so he’s behind on development so he might not be ready to play yet.  In which case they might need five safeties to start the year.  

It’s going to be a numbers game, I am sure the Colts would like to keep six WRa and they have the talent to keep six I just don’t know if they will have bodies so they can.  

• Like 2