Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut trackers!

csmopar

So looking closer at Blank and McLaughlin.

Blank converted 81.8% of FGs last year at Georgia

McL converted 78% of his kicks with  3 different teams last year.

If Im not mistaken arent the hash marks spread out further in college making FGs a little tougher?

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, w87r said:

If Im not mistaken arent the hash marks spread out further in college making FGs a little tougher?

I was thinking it was the other way around but I could be andlikely am backwards

Just now, EastStreet said:

Not for a kicker. It's a nice to have, but you keep the best at kicking.

That’s why I said I think it was factor in him being signed in the first place not so much making the final roster and clearly it’s not nearly as important as kicking skill.  Still when you have a close battle like this things like that do come into play.  Again not saying he made the roster because of that but I don’t think it was ignored either.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

He made all of his XPs too, which is a big improvement over last year lol

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We all know how much they loved AV as a leader on the team. So if everything was even yes him being a captain might of been the deciding factor.

Everything even, absolutely. 

Let's not compare Hot Rod to AV just yet. He's a rook, and needs to sing songs, and fetch food for the vets :-)

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was thinking it was the other way around but I could be andlikely am backwards

https://jugssports.com/blog/six-key-differences-between-college-and-nfl-football-that-we-tend-to-forget-about/#:~:text=In the NFL%2C each hash,9” from the closest sideline.&text=In college%2C the hash marks,hash marks 40 feet apart.

In the NFL, each hash mark is 70’ 9” from the closest sideline. That makes the two rows of hash marks 18’ 6” apart.

In college, the hash marks are closer to the sidelines. The hash marks are 60 feet from the nearest sideline, making the two rows of hash marks 40 feet apart.

College hash marks are 21'6" wider making certain FG much harder than NFL.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

https://jugssports.com/blog/six-key-differences-between-college-and-nfl-football-that-we-tend-to-forget-about/#:~:text=In the NFL%2C each hash,9” from the closest sideline.&text=In college%2C the hash marks,hash marks 40 feet apart.

In the NFL, each hash mark is 70’ 9” from the closest sideline. That makes the two rows of hash marks 18’ 6” apart.

In college, the hash marks are closer to the sidelines. The hash marks are 60 feet from the nearest sideline, making the two rows of hash marks 40 feet apart.

College hash marks are 21'6" wider making certain FG much harder than NFL.

College hash marks are at the spot of NFL HM from the 40s to 70s

39 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think this was to big a shocker, they had a good battle. Could of went either way.

I was definitely hoping Blank would pull ot out.

From what I read, McLoughlin was winning the competition.  Maybe not by a lot, but had an edge.   That’s why I’m surprised.

But I trust this front office and coaching staff to make the right call.   I may be surprised, but I’m not saying the Colts are wrong. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

From what I read, McLoughlin was winning the competition.  Maybe not by a lot, but had an edge.   That’s why I’m surprised.

But I trust this front office and coaching staff to make the right call.   I may be surprised, but I’m not saying the Colts are wrong. 

Important to remember that was reporters saying chase was winning the competition.  Doesn’t mean that’s how Ballard saw it.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was the word early, I think that last scrimmage is what put Blank over the top. He outperformed Chase that day.

It could of went either way, like you I trust in there decision, they clearly had mor e info than we did.

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

College hash marks are at the spot of NFL HM from the 40s to 70s

Yep

Flash forward to 1972. In that year, the NFL moved hash marks to their present-day location: 70 feet, 9 inches (about 23.5 yards) from the sidelines, exactly in line with the goal posts. The league wanted to boost offenses by widening the short side of the field, where defenses used the sideline as an extra defender.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/evolution-of-the-nfl-rules/

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am surprised that the Pitts cut came so late

Not sure they are doing them in any order per se. I'm sure there's some chess being played while teams watch other teams cuts. WR and DB were the areas I thought the Colts would wait the longest, and have the toughest decisions. 

Archived