Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Pro Day Reactions

BNS

Ok...found some video footage.

Luck Impresses At Stanford Pro Day

Great video, another thing that impresses me is that he scans the field, uses his head and eyes to fool defenders. A great example would be at the 2:35 mark. Even though their are no defenders or other WRs out there he still does it. :dance:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video, another thing that impresses me is that he scans the field, uses his head and eyes to fool defenders. A great example would be at the 2:35 mark. Even though their are no defenders or other WRs out there he still does it. :dance:

Good sign indeed. That shows that this is habit for him. Sound fundamentals equal good habits.

luck did pretty good concidering how windy it was and with him throwing into the wind. 47-51 completed passes 3 drops and 1 incomplete pass where he over threw his WR on a corner route. other then that he was doing pretty darn good. even while scrambling and throwing. RG3 wasnt bad either. he did pretty good, even if he was throwing indoors, but he did play outside his whole college career. it was just baylors practice facility and with the storms here yesterday he had to do it indoors. (yes im in texas) i think both the colts and skins are going to be getting their franchise QB in this draft.

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

Colts got a peek at Andrew Luck today. Will get a better look in early April with a private workout at Stanford. Luck confirmed workout.

My guess is that is part of the reason why Grigson and Pagano weren't there. If they are sick no point in one making themselves sicker or risk making someone else sick when they can watch it on the web, get reports from others who did see it, and are going to see him again in person in less than a month.

The biggest things I've seen coming out of Luck and RG3's pro days is that both impressed and if that's the case I doubt anything happened at either to change how the Colts were feeling going into it. I expect the Colts to have privite workouts with Luck and RG3 but at this point unless something completely unexpected happens I don't think they can do much to change the Colts minds on which way they are leaning. With that said just because everyone in the fanbase thinks it's a done deal and it's Luck doesn't mean that's how the Colts feel although I do happen to think they are leaning towards Luck myself.

I was way more impressed with his quick release and frozen rope type passes than that one. While that is a great throw, they arent completed very often.

I agree.

I more laughing because alot of the Luck criticism is that he doesnt have a big arm.

I agree.

I more laughing because alot of the Luck criticism is that he doesnt have a big arm.

That was also the knock on Peyton coming out of college was a question about arm strength. Which is why I've said for years arm strength isn't nearly as important as knowing what to do with it. Mayock's quote of "He has a good arm, not a great arm. And that's fine -- arm strength's the most overrated tool in a quarterback, anyway." when talking about Luck's arm really seemed to back that up. I think what they are saying is Luck's arm is good enough for the NFL just like Manning's was. It might not be as good as RG3's but it's good enough.

Watched both RGlll and Luck both looked really good what I looked for is the mentality Luck seemed more ready for the NFL than RGlll.

I agree with this statement. RG3 was all smiles and giggly and messing around the whole time. Luck's workout looked more like a job interview. No big deal either way.....

And as far as the actual workouts of both players ... Luck looked very organized and geared for "game type situations" He looked simply outstanding. RG3's workout was not nearly as impressive as Luck's, and when the weather conditions are thrown in...

Luck will look lovely in a Colt uni.

That was also the knock on Peyton coming out of college was a question about arm strength. Which is why I've said for years arm strength isn't nearly as important as knowing what to do with it. Mayock's quote of "He has a good arm, not a great arm. And that's fine -- arm strength's the most overrated tool in a quarterback, anyway." when talking about Luck's arm really seemed to back that up. I think what they are saying is Luck's arm is good enough for the NFL just like Manning's was. It might not be as good as RG3's but it's good enough.

Would anyone say that either of Manning, Brees, or Brady have a "great arm?" Nope, but they do have a "knack for the game" . Combine that with a "good arm" and you have... Manning, Brees, and Brady.

This was my favorite comment from PFT:

"From what I saw of his pro-day he sure did seem to lock in on one receiver and stare them down a lot."

I assume he's kidding...

Don't know what PFT expected, he was throwing to one receiver as they went through a scriped passing session? I don't take a lot of what PFT says real serious, always trying to come up with something to chew on. The kid's a stud, he'll be an oustanding NFL quarterback for the Colts, end of story....

I'm excited, let's hope jimmy boy doesn't get this wild notion in his head to draft RG3 for the shock value and attention he'll get for it

Hopefully Jim is smarter than that. The only attention it will get is a burning Lucas Oil Stadium from all the pitchforks and torches storming the castle, metaphorically speaking.

Watched both RGlll and Luck both looked really good what I looked for is the mentality Luck seemed more ready for the NFL than RGlll.

RGIII is too worried about whether he should wear Ninja Mutant Turtles socks or Hello Kitty socks. That is not the mentality you want in a QB.

My guess is that is part of the reason why Grigson and Pagano weren't there. If they are sick no point in one making themselves sicker or risk making someone else sick when they can watch it on the web, get reports from others who did see it, and are going to see him again in person in less than a month.

The biggest things I've seen coming out of Luck and RG3's pro days is that both impressed and if that's the case I doubt anything happened at either to change how the Colts were feeling going into it. I expect the Colts to have privite workouts with Luck and RG3 but at this point unless something completely unexpected happens I don't think they can do much to change the Colts minds on which way they are leaning. With that said just because everyone in the fanbase thinks it's a done deal and it's Luck doesn't mean that's how the Colts feel although I do happen to think they are leaning towards Luck myself.

I was able to watch the pro day and saw colts coaching staff there. I couldn't tell who it was but I know my horseshoe anywhere! So the Colts are going to be looking real thoroughly on both.

This was my favorite comment from PFT:

"From what I saw of his pro-day he sure did seem to lock in on one receiver and stare them down a lot."

I assume he's kidding...

Well, That's been my big criticism of him for a month now, and every time I say it, I get swarmed by hate. Peyton sometimes locked on reciever, but that's his intuition and game knowlege that lets him know that he know that guy is gonna be open when the ball it snapped.

I've see Luck stare down a receiver that is blanketed and never scan the field. I see him scan sometimes, but it's not routine like some other QB.

But QB's like Brady, practice so much that on the field, it's high completion passes all day long. I've seen Manning make the most of his 4 seconds and Brady do the most with his 2 seconds after the snap (which is why we rarely sacked Brady even with Mathis and Freeney)

So really, if Scanning all his options in 3-5 seconds isn't Lucks game, his success will be a product of intense practice with his WR and Backups and heavy repetition, and his agility and athleticism to buy time, which is something I think Luck can be successful accomplishing.

Well, That's been my big criticism of him for a month now, and every time I say it, I get swarmed by hate. Peyton sometimes locked on reciever, but that's his intuition and game knowlege that lets him know that he know that guy is gonna be open when the ball it snapped.

I've see Luck stare down a receiver that is blanketed and never scan the field. I see him scan sometimes, but it's not routine like some other QB.

But QB's like Brady, practice so much that on the field, it's high completion passes all day long. I've seen Manning make the most of his 4 seconds and Brady do the most with his 2 seconds after the snap (which is why we rarely sacked Brady even with Mathis and Freeney)

So really, if Scanning all his options in 3-5 seconds isn't Lucks game, his success will be a product of intense practice with his WR and Backups and heavy repetition, and his agility and athleticism to buy time, which is something I think Luck can be successful accomplishing.

Are you saying Manning had more time than Brady in the pocket to scan, decide, and throw? I really hope not, in my opinion it's quite the opposite. One of the reasons Brady is so good is because he can take his time to scan the field, put him behind our o-line from the last few years and I will bet you see plenty of chinks in that armor. I can literally recall numerous moments from last year alone that Brady had 7+ seconds to throw, for QB thats an eternity.

It seemed to me the media totally overplayed Griffin's pro-day while just kinda shrugging off Luck's pro-day. It didn't seem to me that Griffin outdid Luck, so why they silly sensationalism? This is the kind of crap that feeds my thoughts that Griffin is way over-hyped.

I don't think Luck is "sexy" enough to draw the media attention we see with Griffin. Griffin even has this dumb moniker "RGIII" that I have unsuccessfully tried to get y'all to stop using.

The more I see of Luck the more I like him. He's got a down to earth maturity and work ethic that I really like. Griffin with his stupid T-shirt ......

RG3-Pro-Day-Shirt.jpg

Yea kid, you're trying too hard. Sellin yourself much? He had some other silly message on his futuristic Under Armor outfit but I don't remember what it said.

Meanwhile in Matureville, Luck wore a Grey T-shirt with the number 12 on it and some shorts. It's the little things I look at with these kids to try and see what separates them. We know they can both throw but I'm seeing one kid dressing up like Robocops love doll, trying to convey his "winning attitude" with silly sayings written in neon colors.

The other, Luck, put on his sweaty gym gear and went out to throw.

Also, when Griffin was asked why he chose to throw he said "I wanted to throw to help my Baylor teammates". As if to say he knows he's so good he didn't have to, but they have to because they aren't at his level. I suppose he meant to send a message that he's a great teammate but all that told me is that he's selfish and conceited.

I think the NFL is gonna kick Griff's butt.

Some people here seemed let down because there were no fireworks going off at Luck's pro-day. I thought I'd share with y'all some little things I noticed that may be indicative of great difference between these two picks.

It seemed to me the media totally overplayed Griffin's pro-day while just kinda shrugging off Luck's pro-day. It didn't seem to me that Griffin outdid Luck, so why they silly sensationalism? This is the kind of crap that feeds my thoughts that Griffin is way over-hyped.

I don't think Luck is "sexy" enough to draw the media attention we see with Griffin. Griffin even has this dumb moniker "RGIII" that I have unsuccessfully tried to get y'all to stop using.

The more I see of Luck the more I like him. He's got a down to earth maturity and work ethic that I really like. Griffin with his stupid T-shirt ......

RG3-Pro-Day-Shirt.jpg

Yea kid, you're trying too hard. Sellin yourself much? He had some other silly message on his futuristic Under Armor outfit but I don't remember what it said.

Meanwhile in Matureville, Luck wore a Grey T-shirt with the number 12 on it and some shorts. It's the little things I look at with these kids to try and see what separates them. We know they can both throw but I'm seeing one kid dressing up like Robocops love doll, trying to convey his "winning attitude" with silly sayings written in neon colors.

The other, Luck, put on his sweaty gym gear and went out to throw.

Also, when Griffin was asked why he chose to throw he said "I wanted to throw to help my Baylor teammates". As if to say he knows he's so good he didn't have to, but they have to because they aren't at his level. I suppose he meant to send a message that he's a great teammate but all that told me is that he's selfish and conceited.

I think the NFL is gonna kick Griff's butt.

Some people here seemed let down because there were no fireworks going off at Luck's pro-day. I thought I'd share with y'all some little things I noticed that may be indicative of great difference between these two picks.

You know what, sometimes, just sometimes, you write stuff that is pure genius. This is one of those posts. I was out on the razz last night, so I never saw any of this. Now I don't need to.

Thanks.

Don't forget even though pro-day doesn't mean much Luck was playing in the elements (wind) and being chased around by a broom and other objects you wouldn't want to be chased around by. Sheesh I would rather be chased around by Mario Willams than.......................

broomm.jpg

You know what, sometimes, just sometimes, you write stuff that is pure genius. This is one of those posts. I was out on the razz last night, so I never saw any of this. Now I don't need to.

Thanks.

Why thank you sir.

Believe it or not, I'm starting to get fired up a lil here. I think the imagery with Manning in Denver was a bit much for my fragile little mind. I got a bit snarky after that but now I'm like......meh, we're sittin pretty with this kid.

I think all those rats that scurried off to Denver and claim to forsake the horseshoe might just come running back real soon.

Don't forget even though pro-day doesn't mean much Luck was playing in the elements (wind) and being chased around by a broom and other objects you wouldn't want to be chased around by. Sheesh I would rather be chased around by Mario Willams than.......................

broomm.jpg

lol....that was funny watching that guy chase after Luck with a broom like an angry Italian woman.

that's so true,ryan leaf had a great arm,where did that get him.

Manning's arm strength huh.

Till now i havent really seen Manning fully unleash ( fully bend backwards ). Guess he probably doesnt have to. Some of his half efforts on the play actions to Marvin were easily over 55+.

Funny how arms strength's are questioned.

Luck is totally fine. Both Luck and RGIII are good. Key is the maturity in mind and both seem to have it. Colts should take Luck and they will be fine.