Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trey Burton injury and impact to TE

EastStreet

Not pushing the panic button yet at TE, but this just isn't good. Hope it's not serious. Saw some tweets saying that it looked serious (helped off the field, couldn't put weight on it), and also Reich pretty much said he'll miss time. I'm sure we'll hear something about the MRI tomorrow or Monday.

Regardless, given his injury history (below), certainly enough to be concerned with the position. It was pretty clear he had some good chemistry with Rivers. His history with calf injuries (missed the last 7 games last year) below kills some of the of the growing optimism I had for him. Hate it for him, as things were going very well.

Time to step up Moe and seize that #2 spot!

Guessing this will likely lead to either Green or Vollert making the cut. Or even both. Wonder if they can bring in others given we're in cut-down week. Shawn Clark sure was an interesting prospect. Hardly any FA options, and what is left, is aged.

Regardless, prayers for his speedy recovery.

Chance of Injury in 2020: 83%

Chance of Injury per Game: 10.5%

Projected Games missed for 2020: 2.3

Dec 31, 2019

Inguinal Hip Tear - Burton had surgery to repair a labrum injury in his hip.

Nov 10, 2019

Leg Calf Strain - Burton suffered a calf injury during the Week 10 win against the Lions. He missed the rest of the season as he was placed on injured reserve

Jan 4, 2019

Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 - Burton hurt his groin in practice on Friday and missed the Wild Card loss to the Eagles. He also missed Week 1 game of 2019 season due to this injury

Nov 19, 2017

Back Lower Lumbar Muscle Spasms - Burton missed 1 game with back spasms.

Sep 8, 2016

Leg Calf Pull - Burton missed Week 1 with a calf injury suffered in practice.

Nov 27, 2014

Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 - Burton missed 1 game as a rookie with a hamstring injury.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/trey-burton/7041

It’s a big problem. The TE position on this team has no depth. And your laying out the history of Burton’s leg muscle issues shows that this is a pattern that is likely to be repeated. Meaning: watch for a waiver pickup after roster cuts next week. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

It’s a big problem. The TE position on this team has no depth. And your laying out the history of Burton’s leg muscle issues shows that this is a pattern that is likely to be repeated. Meaning: watch for a waiver pickup after roster cuts next week. 

I was just starting to be optimistic about Burton lol, and starting to like the 3 man rotation of Doyle, MAC, and Trey.... It was pretty obvious by reports that Rivers liked him as a target. ..... go figure. 

I agree about the waiver wire. I think we've worked out plenty of others, and there are simply very slim pickings from the FA bucket right now. Not sure though we'd get much better on the WW. Unless some surprise name drops, I think it will be a lot of guys that are similar to the ones we worked out. If someone surprising does drop, we'd likely be an attractive destination. 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Don’t worry this is still a run first team  and now have a qb with vision he’ll find ppl open if not the TE it’ll damn sure be an RB

Define "run first" if you don't mind. That phrase means very different things to a lot of folks. For example, what % of runs vs passes is "run first". Not trying to be argumentative, but I've seen way too many conversations on this topic go off the rails because people define it differently.

I think this elevates Farrod Green into the 3rd spot and our consecutive years of a UDFA making the squad continues even if Hot Rod and Rutledge dont squeak on. It also opens the door for Xavier Grimble to make the team if he takes advantage and we prefer a vet (47 games with 7 starts) with less upside.  It is ironic  Dominique Dafney was signed earlier this week and he has similar size as Burton and is more a rec TE than the others (He was a WR/FB in college).  I doubt we see a vet signed from the street with options to pick from on the roster.

F Green

X Grimble

D Dafney

A Vollert

It's only an issue if the team makes it one. Put Burton on the PuP and MAKE him heal.

Farrod Green has 'sounded' solid throughout the camp reports.

Dominique Dafney is a similar athlete to Burton, though just signed as an UDFA.

The kid from Weber State that we signed has the pass catching skillset that is needed to balance out the room. He was slated to make the opening 53 last year for the Chargers prior to getting hurt (if I read that article correctly).

Plus we have Nix now so he could be used as a blocker as well as Pinter (tackle eligible) at the TE position in run blocking situations.

Plus we added two 6'4" 225 lbs WR's in the draft that could be used out of the slot from time to time to fill that role.

Just gotta think outside the box a little bit before panicking!

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Hmmm could slide pitman to TE if we needed it, would let us carry one extra WR in the short term. Just a thought

Nah. They'd just run him or Pascal, or Patmon out of the slot. A lot of slot routes are pretty much identical to TE routes. Burton, at his size, was already pretty comparable to a bully slot WR anyway.

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think this elevates Farrod Green into the 3rd spot and our consecutive years of a UDFA making the squad continues even if Hot Rod and Rutledge dont squeak on. It also opens the door for Xavier Grimble to make the team if he takes advantage and we prefer a vet (47 games with 7 starts) with less upside.  It is ironic  Dominique Dafney was signed earlier this week and he has similar size as Burton and is more a rec TE than the others (He was a WR/FB in college).  I doubt we see a vet signed from the street with options to pick from on the roster.

F Green

X Grimble

D Dafney

A Vollert

Dafney's college days were pretty meh. I don't see Grimble as the answer either, but he does have a few starts. Green is the front runner IMO. Some good reports about Vollert, but not sure where he stacks up. 

Potential TE Trade targets:

Njoku

Harrison Bryant

Nick Vannett

Jake Butt

Luke Willson

Camron Brate

Hale Hentges

Tbh, tough to determine, but looking at TE depth charts around the league, there should be a few to hit the waiver wire.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I was just starting to be optimistic about Burton lol, and starting to like the 3 man rotation of Doyle, MAC, and Trey.... It was pretty obvious by reports that Rivers liked him as a target. ..... go figure. 

I agree about the waiver wire. I think we've worked out plenty of others, and there are simply very slim pickings from the FA bucket right now. Not sure though we'd get much better on the WW. Unless some surprise name drops, I think it will be a lot of guys that are similar to the ones we worked out. If someone surprising does drop, we'd likely be an attractive destination. 

Define "run first" if you don't mind. That phrase means very different things to a lot of folks. For example, what % of runs vs passes is "run first". Not trying to be argumentative, but I've seen way too many conversations on this topic go off the rails because people define it differently.

This was my fear since they took a flyer...that Burton was very likely broken. Really hope they are looking at trade options.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Njoku

Harrison Bryant

Nick Vannett

Jake Butt

Luke Willson

Camron Brate

Hale Hentges

Tbh, though to determine, but looking at TE depth charts around the league, there should be a few to hit the waiver wire.

Njoku is a great trade target. With Bryant playing well in camp...perhaps they might pull the trigger now.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Njoku is a great trade target. With Bryant playing well in camp...perhaps they might pull the trigger now.

I would offer up a 4th, probably not much more. Wish they needed a WR we have a few to go around. Maybe they need a Kicker? Lol.

Njoku would be a nice pickup for sure.

2 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Trade and Sign Hale Hentges.... we should not have let him get away to Washington. Siriani and Reich was very high on him but had to let him go because of Ebron.  Put Burton on PUP because I don't think he is coming back this season.

Well I disagree with most in the opinion element of this post - like trading for a guy you already cut. 

On the factual side, Burton is not eligible for PUP. 

Other than that - solid post. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Njoku

Harrison Bryant

Nick Vannett

Jake Butt

Luke Willson

Camron Brate

Hale Hentges

Tbh, tough to determine, but looking at TE depth charts around the league, there should be a few to hit the waiver wire.

Also O J Howard of the Bucs.  He was reportedly available in the off season.  I don't remember how they handles his 5th year option.  But he probably shouldn't be ruled out now that they have the Gronk. 

59 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Also O J Howard of the Bucs.  He was reportedly available in the off season.  I don't remember how they handles his 5th year option.  But he probably shouldn't be ruled out now that they have the Gronk. 

Love Howard. They picked up the option. Problem is they would want to trade Brate...who is under contract and very simple to what Colts have already.

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

Trade and Sign Hale Hentges.... we should not have let him get away to Washington. Siriani and Reich was very high on him but had to let him go because of Ebron.  Put Burton on PUP because I don't think he is coming back this season.

This is what I said when they signed him...he would get hurt. It didn’t cost anything...but I think he’s broken.

They have always needed another TE because of this...so I hope they address it...with the approach that Burton probably won’t make an impact.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I’m not sure we are a run first team either.  However, major emphasis will be on balance and establishing a running threat to keep defenses honest.

I really wish Mo would take the next step in his development and become a better pass-catching target. It's kind of paradoxical that for a basketball player he's actually been better blocker than pass-catcher. We know he has the athleticism to create separation against mismatches, but he does need to develop better feel for his route running and make himself a target against zones. 

If Barton continues to have trouble with injuries, I can actually see us going after some TE target before the trade deadline during the season. I can see us going for someone like Njoku or Howard or Moreau or Gerald Everett (depending on what team disappoints and what player is underutilized and has more value as a future asset) and this will be especially true if we look like a legit contender. 

I kinda still like this Andrew Vollert kid from Weber State - was supposedly on track to make the final 53 with the Chargers last year (think injury derailment like Fountain) and then was cut this off-season by the Chargers during "Hard Knocks". I love how the kid reacted and perhaps he has a bit of familiarity with Rivers already....he's got fire and grit for sure!

Plus he has good measurables and ball skills - maybe lacking in the blocking department though???? I mean he has virtually the same 40, short shuttle and 3-Cone Drill times as A LOT of our defensive backs. That is excellent agility and movement skills for a 6'5" and 245 lbs.....just sayin

13 hours ago, shasta519 said:

This was my fear since they took a flyer...that Burton was very likely broken. Really hope they are looking at trade options.

I wasn't really high on the pick up either. Between the injury history and the lack of  size for a TE, just didn't wow me. It was starting to grow on me, but I saw him more bully slot than TE. And that's fine as long as he was productive. The injury thing though did bite us.

As far as trades are concerned, not sure we have a lot to trade. Aside from a K, and perhaps a depth WR, there's not a lot of folks on my projected 53 I'd want to part with, nor do I think the guys we cut will be in big enough demand to warrant a trade for a good TE. Blank is probably the guy that would get scooped up quickest. Pascal might be a guy teams would want, but really don't want to part with him.

10 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m not sure we are a run first team either.  However, major emphasis will be on balance and establishing a running threat to keep defenses honest.

Yup. Balance is what's important to me. And honestly, being able to impose either passing or running on whatever weakness the opposing D has is what matters. People thinking we're going to have more running attempts than passing attempts are not being realistic.

There were only two teams in the NFL that ran more than passed (Balt and SF) last year. When we had Luck in 2018, we passed roughly 62% of the time. Last year with Brissett, we still passed roughly 54% of the time. The median or average is around 60%. Rivers threw about 63% of the time.

I'd imagine we'll be around 60% this year if I had to guess. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wasn't really high on the pick up either. Between the injury history and the lack of  size for a TE, just didn't wow me. It was starting to grow on me, but I saw him more bully slot than TE. And that's fine as long as he was productive. The injury thing though did bite us.

As far as trades are concerned, not sure we have a lot to trade. Aside from a K, and perhaps a depth WR, there's not a lot of folks on my projected 53 I'd want to part with, nor do I think the guys we cut will be in big enough demand to warrant a trade for a good TE. Blank is probably the guy that would get scooped up quickest. Pascal might be a guy teams would want, but really don't want to part with him.

I agree that Blank would get scooped up the quickest.  Just look at all of the teams currently working out kickers.  The Bills cut Hushka to roll with an UDFA kicker.  Blank could have signed with anyone but from what I remember we paid him a very high signing bonus to sign with us.  That says something.  I could actually see them keeping Blank and trading Chase.  My guess is they already know who their kicker is and are probably putting the word out the other guy is available.  

Guess nobody here was reading the practice reports:  Burton was shining and Reich is very high on him.

Not to mention he will only be out a matter of weeks, nothing long term.  They can get by with Doyle, Alie Cox and say Vollert for the first 3-4 weeks of the year until Burton returns.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:45 AM, EastStreet said:

Meaning we’re built to run the ball and from what we’ve seen with our coach he wants to establish that early granted we do now have rivers so we can also explode passing but overall  we just got some big physical WR on the outside who both like to block followed by a pro bowl Fb  good run blocking Te’s Our oline and Mack/Jt expect a lot of running followed by play action 

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Guess nobody here was reading the practice reports:  Burton was shining and Reich is very high on him.

Not to mention he will only be out a matter of weeks, nothing long term.  They can get by with Doyle, Alie Cox and say Vollert for the first 3-4 weeks of the year until Burton returns.

That is an acceptable depth chart at TE if it was 2017. This team has a roster that is built to compete...and if they are truly intent of having a more explosive offense (like they have said)...and the TEs are meant to be a part of that...then that depth chart and a (now) banged-up Burton is questionable. I don't really know what they can do from an acquisition standpoint...but I hope Ballard can pull something off.

Archived